Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• "...stand and deliver..."

Just put the plates on it last night. Took it for a little run after dinner. it's a sweet ride, very luxurious, pretty fast but with all that weight I think my Eclipse would smoke it.

Found the first defect. The radio can't be shut off. The on-off button doesn't work so you have to shut the car off or turn the volume to zero.

Only other problem is that when I'm in it I get the urge to drive to Florida and wear plaid shorts with suspenders.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,711
    edited September 2013
    This is the end result of that slipper slope.

BTW, the owner made a glaring design flaw in the ornamentation. Anyone agree?

This message has been approved.

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,563
    edited September 2013
    Found the first defect. The radio can't be shut off. The on-off button doesn't work so you have to shut the car off or turn the volume to zero.

Not a big issue unless there is sound at the lowest volume setting. I had a car like that once, turn the volume all the way down and if it was perfectly quite you could still hear the radio.

Only other problem is that when I'm in it I get the urge to drive to Florida and wear plaid shorts with suspenders.

Don't forget your black socks and sandals.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    >Only other problem is that when I'm in it I get the urge to drive to Florida and wear plaid shorts with suspenders.<

You guys crack me up. Oldfarmer....glad it turned out to be a nice ride. Radio should be an easy fix, if you're so inclined. Does it still have a dial to turn vol up and down, and/or on and off?

imid....found the problem with that PT. The owner put that hideous chrome license plate holder on it.;)
    Makes you wonder what the interior looks like.

It reminds me of the time my wife was on one of her "let's he an SUV" crusades. We went to a local Honda dealer and told a salesman we were lookng at the CRV. The salesman said he had a great deal for us and took us out to the back lot. He showed us a CRV decked out pretty much like your picture with an interior to match. It was brand new with a sticker of something like the low 20's the salesman just said "$15,000". I responded with "You're going to have to pay us more than $15,000 to take that off your hands".

The salesman told us that the dealership took it in as a dealer trade with a dealer that they will never do business with again.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• houdini1houdini1 Kansas City areaPosts: 5,774
    It could use a nice ski rack on top and maybe a wing on the back. Other than that it looks perfect to me !

2013 LX 570 2010 LS 460

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    BTW, the owner made a glaring design flaw in the ornamentation. Anyone agree?

It would look better without sidewalk feelers - and maybe a nice vinyl roof.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    Don't know if I mentioned this but I bought daughter #2 an 04 Camry with 190K on it. The owner is the son of great friends of mine a few hours from him and the son was a Toyota mechanic. It's utterly flawless. It had originally been his mother's and got the same care. He took off the chrome (I did that with the Solara and still am getting rid of glue) and he also modified the suspension essentially turning an LE into an SE. Perfect shape, drives great for a Camry (not that she notices the difference) and has the grabbiest brakes Ive dealt with in a long time.

So I'm back to more cars than drivers. This works for me.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,711
    edited September 2013
    > The owner put that hideous chrome license plate holder on it.

The license plate holder I actually didn't notice. I don't like the three stripes on the front fender and then the three stripes on the rear are not at the same level so that the eye flows from front to rear. Instead they are dropped about a foot lower. Just doesn't "flow" from front to back.
    The three stripes should have been on the front of the rear wheel well.

Owner did pay homage to Buick with the portholes on the hood.

Of course, that's not the only thing that disrupts the eye's movements.

Actually, to be clear I don't offend anyone with a PT Cruiser, I like them for the car they are. I don't like this one. THis person clearly has too much time on his hands or too much money or both. I looked to see if the license plate was from Florida when I saw the car. Another cruise-in patron was taking a photo with his cell phone when I approached the car. This was parking for a 300+ car show in a rural county.

I wonder why the owner didn't put on some appliques of flames or clouds like some PT owners did. I liked the statements of some of those.

This message has been approved.

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285

Don't forget your black socks and sandals.

Wearing black socks with sandals is actually quite appropriate, as long as there are clocks on the socks.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    Actually socks and sandals are a "bro thing":

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TL24jvl5aq8/T5AjekSvbGI/AAAAAAAAAB4/_LNP2-4pTfc/s640/c- hadddd.jpg

In all honesty, I'm running around the house in no show black socks and adidas slides like those.

Years back I was given a Sedan deVille as a rental in Florida on a business trip. I had this incredible urge to go buy mint green sans-a-belt slacks and shirt and some white patent leather shoes....
  • "...back to more cars than drivers..."

That's the only way to live life....choices!

• "...flames or clouds..."

I found a PT the same color as my wife's last night. I asked her if I could put a blaze graphic on the side like the one in the ad:

http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4083370539.html

She said go for it.

I'm getting worried. She's too agreeable lately. I think she's up to something.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,587
    but why would anyone want to turn the radio off?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• My dad used to buy those white patent leather shoes two pairs at a time. I guess he figured they would NEVER go out of style, so why wait? To be fair, he usually wore them with mustard-colored pants, a navy blue short-sleeved dress shirt and a wide, solid white tie, so of course the whole ensemble was a head-turner.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tyguytyguy ColoradoPosts: 800
    That's great and I'm happy for you guys. We focus on rescues for our dogs, too. With my mom we had three golden rescues, and my wife and I are on our third. The thing about those breeds is that while you think you're rescuing them, it doesn't take long to realize they're the ones taking you into their lives. They're truly wonderful for the soul and give infinitely more than they get.
  • mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,596
    Nobody asked, but I just have to say I am pleased as can be with the new (to me) truck.

A vehicle always feels better when you pay less than you thought you would for it. Plus no dealer add on nonsense. This one is no exception. I took it to my mechanic. Got a light bulb and tested the battery which showed 20% battery life left. Put in a good interstate green top and could find nothing more it needed. Coolant-good, oil-good, filters-good. Been driving everywhere in it. A/C is great and XM still playing tunes.

Also finally got that old carpet out of the garage and to the dump. It's been in my way for six months now. It was nice to say "hey we have a pickup for that". The 2500 rides only slightly more harsh than a 1500 so no problem there. I'd drive this one cross country.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• "...nobody asked..."

Well, you didn't exactly bubble over with details. I know you said it was a 2006. How many miles? Asking price, purchase price? How many tears did the salesman shed as you did the old Edmunds grind? How much will Isell hate you for stealing the dealer's profit?

Give us the details.

but why would anyone want to turn the radio off?

On a warm fall day, roll down the windows find a great drive for the fall colors and turn off the radio and you will see why.

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,596
    213000 miles, $8800 local ebay. I bid 8k the first day and it ended at $8800. (I forgot to look at the bid that last day). Seller made me wait a week for actual bidder to pony up the dough which he never did. He called me and asked me to match other guys bid since my ebay ratings expired and I have 0 feedback. I did just because I knew it was going to be a good truck (and it was). I had right of refusal when he brought it to my house, but it checked out great. He was a Sargent of the neighboring town's PD. Cash talks...BS walks.

Here it is> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310738622636#v4-43-

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali