Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,129
    Mazel Tov on the purchase. Did I read correctly? You bought a 2006 w/ 218,000 miles? And all it needs is a battery?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,602
    looks nice. and really, really big.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,598
    And all it needs is a battery?

Yes, and a light bulb in the tail light. It feels like a much lower mileage truck.

The guy had refresh (vent air fresheners) in it so you couldn't tell he smoked in it. I'm a light smoker and said no problem. He was relieved. Pirelli tires are good until next summer. And farmer, not any rust.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,341
    2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500

Looks good! Keep us posted on how it is running and how much you enjoy it.

Can the radio go right off?

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• mako1amako1a VirginiaPosts: 1,598
    Not while I'm in there. I turn it off twice yearly to reset the clock for the start and stop of Daylight Savings Time which I think is a really bad thing that needs to be done away with.

2013 Mustang GT, 2006 Silverado 2500 LT HD, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    I have always hated daylight savings time. Never made any sense to me, absolutely none. The idea that we will save energy by using less lighting is total BS. In the summer, it's the air conditioning that eats all of the electricity, not the light bulbs.

But never mind that, congratulations on the new truck. It really looks nice. A heavy duty truck like that can be good for a lot of miles.
    and now, the expensive new lightbulbs you have to use, eat up a fraction as much energy.

I did think there was some reasoning about kids and the bus stop too?

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• Follow-up when the deal closes.

C30 should be gone Sunday with its replacement coming shortly before or shortly after.
    so exciting!

reminds me, I got an email and call from the Volvo dealer (since after all, I am a loyal Volvo customer!) letting me know they upped the incentives. Until the end of September, the $500/$1000 (lease/buy) loyalty cash is doubled. And they still have 3 free payments (up to $1,350). So I could have 1K to cover $ down on an S60, then not make a payment until after Christmas. Tempting!

Or another $3,350 off whatever could be negotiated on a buy. If I was prepared to spend that kind of coin on a car I really don't need!

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,025
    edited September 2013
    "...not any rust..."

That's a good thing. Up here a truck with that milage would look like Swiss cheese. My son's scrapper friend recently acquired a 1999 Silverado 4x4 with only 88k on the odo that was completely frame rotted. He resold it to a plow guy who was just going to keep it on one large parking lot since it couldn't pass inspection. Paid $350, sold t for $850.

Is that the original engine? My old F-150 made it to 250k miles but it took two (maybe more) motors.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

C30 should be gone Sunday with its replacement coming shortly before or shortly after.

Did we ever find out what was wrong with the C30? Wasn't your sister going to take it, but didn't like it that much?

What is the scoop on a C30?

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,928
    Mako....I'm diggin' on that truck. I like it. Congrats!

I'm still trying to score a nice quasi luxo beater (isn't that an oxymoron?).
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,204
    Using the word rust to describe the condition of a vehicle is so out of style. Nowadays the correct term is "patina."
  • Nothing wrong with it - my sister was going to take it about a year and a half ago after she totaled her S40, but then my move to Seattle came up and I needed the car.

At this point my wife and I would do better with a 4 door car. Combine that with my itch to try something new and end of model year deals...
    At this point my wife and I would do better with a 4 door car. Combine that with my itch to try something new and end of model year deals..

Gottchya, now i seem to recall that. Let us know what yo9u are looking at.

• "...patina..."

LOL, in my neighborhood you can see cars with such nice patina on one side that you can see clear through to the patina on the other side.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• Fantastic one, jay. I plan on re-using that and claiming it as my own :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,204
    Letting others take credit for my genius ? It's what I do. Ever heard of something called the internet ?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,059
    Brilliant - swiped and tweeted. :-)
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,151
    I was at my Mercedes dealership this afternoon for a car wash, but because of some very heavy thunderstorms, we decided to put the car wash on hold until Friday. While we were waiting for the torrential rains to taper off, I walked into the showroom to gat acquainted with the new Mercedes CLA. While I was sitting in the car, I observed a husband and wife duo negotiating some better pricing on a new E350 Luxury model. They wanted the same discount off MSRP that their neighbors got on their new E350, but were having difficulty with the female salesperson who was working the deal.

So I decided to continue sitting in the CLA so I could witness their negotiating skills in action. It seems that their neighbors bought a new E350 for $3000 off MSRP. They wanted the same discount off the MSRP of the car they selected. The salesperson kept trying to convince the couple that getting $3000 off a $66,000 E350 Sedan was not a problem, but getting the same discount on a $58,300 car was not possible.

Finally, one of the managers got involved and offered the couple the same percentage discount as their neighbors got (4.5%) but that the same dollar discount off the car would have been a 5.3% discount. The husband then said that if he could get $2500 off the price of the car, they had a deal. Of course, they got their deal!

Unfortunately, if they had researched the car on Edmunds, they would have known that $3000 off MSRP on the car they wanted was an average deal on a new E350.

It just amazes me that with so many helpful resources on the internet that consumers can use to arrive at excellent pricing on new cars, some people just refuse to take advantage of those resources. These people were computer savvy as they had their iPad with them, calculating their payments, etc.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.