Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,346
    Yeah, I know.

they have a new "expert" that is dispensing a lot of advice that in most cases isn't going to work.

Don't worry...I'm resisting the urge.
  • You have to wonder what employee was left in charge, the day those tombstones were approved...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,556
    Maybe it was an ex-congressman.

There are three types of people in this world. Those who are good at math and those who are not.

• Michaell@EdmundsMichaell@Edmunds ColoradoPosts: 1,056
    Isell,

Since "prices Paid" is my domain I'm quite familiar with who you're referring to. I've had to step in a couple times before the discussion on doc fees got out of hand.

Is the advice dispensed there perfect? Nope. Has it helped folks get a good price? In some cases, yes. I don't think any given strategy is universal.

I appreciate your restraint and know that I've got your back as you continue to fight the good fight on buying Hondas.

michaell@edmunds.com

Moderator, Prices Paid and Leasing Experiences

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT / 2010 Mazda CX-7 GT / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

That headstone story has gotten a lot of play here in Colorado as the soldier in question was killed by her boyfriend at a hotel in Colorado Springs.

michaell@edmunds.com

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2013
    ...you'll find that most of the folks there are looking to get $500-1500 below invoice for a 2013 model and a few hundred below invoice on a new 2014.

Why not? The so called invoice price is not real. It is inflated by some 2 to 3% or more, that is why a dealer can accept significant discounts below invoice and free maintenance service and still make money.

As the say, a product is worth what a buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. Why leave money on the table when it's there for the asking.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    "Another choice could be a Caddy Eldorado"

The Mark VIII is such the better vechicle there IMO. Better interior, and RWD. I'd also bet more reliable in the long run too.

I'd also be thinking about a Lexus SC or an older LS400. Those cars were built so well, however I'd bet you would see some silly asking prices.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

The so called invoice price is not real. It is inflated by some 2 to 3% or more, that is why a dealer can accept significant discounts below invoice and free maintenance service and still make money.

Undoubtedly. Otherwise, they would let the customer walk.

What I find interesting, is that as a host - and reading every post in "Prices Paid" - is that the Honda forums are the ones with the most activity regarding buying strategies and $$$'s under invoice to target.

Also, I'm of the opinion that the new car side of a dealership is generally run as a 'loss leader' - they really make their money on the sale of used cars as well as in the service department.

michaell@edmunds.com

• graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,883
    oldfarmer...I'm sticking my stake in the ground for a Lincoln Mark XXX or an Acura Legend/TL. Maybe expand my shopping into a Caddy. Still not real confortable with some of the older Cadillac iron. GM has just now started to come out of the reliability middle ages. And, older German iron, if not meticulously maitained, is a money pit. That's why an Acura (or maybe even a Lexus) is high on my list of "luxo-beaters". $2,500 is right in my wheelhouse as far as expenditure....I'll go $3K if I find one that's particularly nice.

Imid....I've been to that "cruise in" at Spring Grove Cemetary. It's one of the best ones I've ever been to. And, as cemetaries go, it's one of the prettiest ones in the entire country (however, I've only been to ones in OH, IL, CA, KY, MA).

isellhondas...gotta applaud you on showing restraint over in the Accord Prices Paid forum. I wandered in there several weeks ago, tried to help. I was immediately attacked for not knowhing what I was talking about. Okey-dokey. Let them frustrate each other, bemoaning how they couldn't make a deal on the color, options, model of Accord they want....all the while traipsing to 3 different dealers, wasting hours upon hours. Then being admonished by the alleged "expert" for not following his directions.

We've seen the same type, over the years. They come, and they go. Last one I remember was the "PCH" guy in these threads.
    oldfarmer...I'm sticking my stake in the ground for a Lincoln Mark XXX (I really like yours) or an Acura Legend/TL. Maybe expand my shopping into a Caddy. Still not real confortable with some of the older Cadillac iron. GM has just now started to come out of the reliability middle ages. And, older German iron, if not meticulously maitained, is a money pit. That's why an Acura (or maybe even a Lexus) is high on my list of "luxo-beaters". $2,500 is right in my wheelhouse as far as expenditure....I'll go $3K if I find one that's particularly nice.

Imid....I've been to that "cruise in" at Spring Grove Cemetary. It's one of the best ones I've ever been to. And, as cemetaries go, it's one of the prettiest ones in the entire country (however, I've only been to ones in OH, IL, CA, KY, MA).

isellhondas...gotta applaud you on showing restraint over in the Accord Prices Paid forum. I wandered in there several weeks ago, tried to help. I was immediately attacked for not knowhing what I was talking about. Okey-dokey. Let them frustrate each other, bemoaning how they couldn't make a deal on the color, options, model of Accord they want....all the while traipsing to 3 different dealers, wasting hours upon hours. Then being admonished by the alleged "expert" for not following his directions.

We've seen the same type, over the years. They come, and they go. Last one I remember was the "PCH" guy in these threads.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,682
    >Imid....I've been to that "cruise in" at Spring Grove Cemetery.

Did you go this year? This was my third visit in 4 years--last year rained out. I wore my Edmunds shirt. I also wore it to Fiehrer Buick's car show.

>They come, and they go. Last one I remember was the "PCH" guy in these threads.

Or they just change names.

This message has been approved.

I appreciate that and I know he means well.
    PCH got caught when I exposed him.

I guess he didn't know I'm from So. Calif and am familiar with PCH101.

Pacific Coast Highway also known as Hwy 101.

Yeah the troublemakers seem too be a thing of the past.
  • bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,055
    edited October 2013
    Feast your eyes on the interior of the 2015 Mercedes Benz C-Class. It looks a little cramped but wow, what a clean and neat design. The color heads-up display looks a little too busy though.

Story and pics at http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2015-mercedes-benz-c-class-interior-technologies- - - - -revealed-251801.html?eml=648213&sp_rid=4297980#axzz2ieYyBGn5
    imid...I didn't go this year (or last year). I think the last Spring Grove Cruise-In I went to was 3 years ago.

Isell...I seem to vaguely remember you calling out PCH101. Wasn't he the guy who claimed he knew all the "dealer tricks" and exposed them...only to find out he bought a trashed Dodge Stealth (and not even the hot turbo version) and way overpaid for it? I seem to remember that scenario.

Yep...the "experts" come and they go.

Sorry about the double post above. Seems the Edmunds threads are acting flaky again.
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,426
    edited October 2013
    I'm not a Benz afficionado, but this one looks really nice. A verry good mix between classic and extravagant.

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    "Pacific Coast Highway also known as Hwy 101."

Son of a gun -- I always thought the PCH was CA state hwy 1. It runs right next to the ocean from Dana Point up to Oxnard, where it does join 101 for a stretch. Splits off again at SLO to run up the Big Sur coast, joins the 101 just long enough to go over the Golden Gate, then over to Stinson Beach and up the coast again all the way to Leggett, where it ends with the T junction with 101.

I rode it the first time in '68 on a motorcycle, then several more times over the years in my MGB, 240Z & Miata -- good times.
  • I don't remember the entire history of that guy, but I *do* remember the Stealth issue, which I think is the one that sent him spiraling out of control and down in flames. I also remember that he loved us so much that he needed more than one user ID. :)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    Feast your eyes on the interior of the 2015 Mercedes Benz C-Class.

Looks beautiful Just wondering about those gear shifters...there seems to be a contest to make them fancier than the other guys. Also, I thought the vents look a little like something from a Pontiac Phoenix. One other negative, but I think the rear camera monitor should be built in, not look like something added on at the last minute.

However, I do like that steering wheel, the black and red, and the overall nice clean look.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327
    I took the car in for the "free" 24K mile oil change which was done at 30K because thats when the engine indicated it needed changing.

Made an appointment the week before. to take the car in at 9 a.m. and I had to have it back by 12 noon to get to an appointment for 1 PM.

When it wasn't ready by 5 after 12 I asked where it was and they said a few more minutes. Do I still want a wash? I said forget the wash, get it to me by 12:15

At 12:20 I went to check. They said just a few more minutes, they'll drive it around. Do you want a wash? NO, I DON'T WANT A WASH.

At 12:25 I checked, he said I should pay the bill and then wait outside and they would bring it by the time I got out there.

I wondered out at 12:30. Finally the original service guy saw me outside, he went out to the wash and drove my car around. By the time I adjusted the seat and mirrors it was 12:40.

I didn't have time to eat lunch, I had to drive like a maniac, and I got to my appointment 1 minute early. Now I have to go back for my car wash, which they say they will do in 5 minutes!!!!!

Also, interesting, the lady waiting next to me in the waiting room had this report from the consultant........whoever changed your oil last stripped the threads so we have to replace the bolt etc, that will cost $150! Must be a lesson in there somewhere.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat