Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,121
    @imidazol97 said:
    >Route 84 was the location I was recalling. There signs along it, "Alligator Alley."
    >
    >I looked it up on Wiki and part of that has been refurbed into I75 and renamed.

That's probably a number of years ago. I-595 runs west from the ocean until it junctions at I-75, which continues west to Naples an Ft. Myers. Rt. 84 runs almost parallel to I-595 (east/west). I-595 is only about 12-14 miles long and ends out west at I-75 and the Sawgrass Expressway (turnpike extension).

Alligator Alley (I-75) is about 85 miles long and runs right through the Everglades.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,206
    edited January 6

Is it just me, or why is it necessary for a person who knows exactly what car he wants, including the options or packages, to pay for these palaces that are constructed to push (I was going to say morons, but that's not PC) indecisive people into vehicles?

I'll do my research on the internet and offer a price. If I can go do a facility to take delivery of the vehicle, with the lowest possible overhead, I'm a happy camper.

When I see these gigantic facilities the first question I ask is "who's paying for it?" I'm guessing it's not the dealership or the manufacturer, it's the people who do business there.

I'm happy to let these things exist (as if anyone asked), but what I want is a discount for buying directly from the manufacturer. Yeah, and I'd like to flap my arms and fly to the moon (with acknowledgement to Charles Schultz).

Selling cars is a racket, and I'm looking for the lowest possible overhead. Dealing directly with the people who manufacture them is a start, but I'm not holding my breath.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584

pinhead, you in some ways do have the option to do what you want. No, can't buy direct, but go ahead and find a small local dealer. Or just deal with the internet dept. at the big place. Remember, if they are doing a big volume, they can make the big $ on the "other guy". You would be a mini deal to keep the volume going.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

edited January 6
    MERCEDES OUTSELLS BMW IN THE USA!

It's official - Mercedes Benz sold more vehicles in the United States than BMW making Mercedes Benz the best selling imported luxury automobile manufacturer in the US.

I was reading an article from early last year where the new CEO of Daimler Benz set, as the company's goal, to become the best selling luxury brand in the USA by the end of 2014. Looks like they are a year ahead of achieving that lofty goal.

It's my opinion that they achieved that goal because of brisk sales of the E Class, the C Class and the new CLA Class coupled with record sales of their GLK Class.

So the battle continues - I expect BMW to redouble their efforts to retake the sales leadership this year.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• stickguystickguy Posts: 13,584

Mike, don't be so modest.

they met this goal solely due to you buying 1/2 of the cars they imported. I think they owe you a freebie at this point.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

@stickguy:...Mike, don't be so modest.

they met this goal solely due to you buying 1/2 of the cars they imported. I think they owe you a freebie at this point.

You're darn right! I'll make the call tomorrow - I think this time I'll ask for an AMG SL63 - just what I deserve - lol

• driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 11,327

@cdnpinhead said: I'll do my research on the internet and offer a price. If I can go do a facility to take delivery of the vehicle, with the lowest possible overhead, I'm a happy camper.

But, how will you test the cars to see which one you really like driving?

I tried a 528 and didn't like it. The salesmen said I should try a 535 with M Package and it was like a totally different car......it was like a sports sedan.

Then we were going to get a 328 or 335 for my wife. We decided to try the A4 and liked it more. How would we have known that if we didn't try them and get information from the salesman?

Besides, salesmen and car dealerships probably actually make it possible to sell more cars. If you don't have sales people it is hard to sell your product. Although dealerships are an expense, they may actually bring the cost of cars down because of the volumes sold. It would be hard to sell cars on amazon...guess you would have to go to a dealer first to try them out (like the problem Best Buy has...people look at items there then buy them online). I don't think the savings would be significant.

2012 535ix 2013 Audi A4 2013 Passat

@abacomike said: MERCEDES OUTSELLS BMW IN THE USA! they achieved that goal because of brisk sales of the E Class, the C Class and the new CLA Class

Mostly the CLA, and the E-Class to some degree along with S Class too. Having a low cost 4 door vehicle was the real game changer though. One article said MB almost beat BMW in 2012, except BMW came on with heavy incentives at the end of the year.

I agree with stick though, you pushed them over the top.

One thing I do find that is turning me off of BMW is their pricing. Most of their options are in packages, and you pay extra for everything. It was so nice to order the A4, it came completely equipped. I also find VW and Audi are more like old fashioned dealers, simpler, not as glitzy, more straightforward, not as arrogant.

MB should win again in 2014, until BMW gets a less expensive 4 door to compete with the CLA. The 5 Series needs a changeover too, to compete with the E-Class.

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,059

Yes indeed, MB had a strong fourth quarter. Here are the sales data for the E-Class and the entire auto industry. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/mercedes-benz-e-class-sales-figures.html

Enjoy!

• bwiabwia Boston Posts: 1,059

Slow Wi-fi connection at a Caribbean airport; so sorry for the double posting.

• sterlingdogsterlingdog North CarolinaPosts: 6,752

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site. I wish to extend many thanks to Kirstie, Karen, and Imidazol97 for their assistance during the last few days. There was a glitch with my recent new email address, but all should be well now. I'll post more a little later. I want to see if this post works first.

Richard

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106

@sterlingdog

Happy New Year to you as well Richard!

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702

@sterlingdog said: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site. I wish to extend many thanks to Kirstie, Karen, and Imidazol97 for their assistance during the last few days. There was a glitch with my recent new email address, but all should be well now. I'll post more a little later. I want to see if this post works first.

It works just fine. Glad to see you're here.

This message has been approved.

@sterlingdog said: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site. I wish to extend many thanks to Kirstie, Karen, and Imidazol97 for their assistance during the last few days. There was a glitch with my recent new email address, but all should be well now. I'll post more a little later. I want to see if this post works first.

Happy New Year to you and your family as well, Richard. Yes, this new site has some getting used to in order to have it function the way it was intended to function. The site works better with my PC than it does with my Iphone, but I'm only on my PC once a day, so I have to improvise a bit when I log on with the Iphone.

@bwia said: Yes indeed, MB had a strong fourth quarter. Here are the sales data for the E-Class and the entire auto industry.

I would imagine that the strong E Class sales figures are what made the difference for Daimler Benz last year along with the new CLA - as compared with sales figures for the BMW 5 Series. Mercedes seems to be more aggressive than BMW with their dealer incentives - which makes a big difference.

For the 4th quarter of 2013, BMW had a $2000 incentive on most of its vehicles while Mercedes provided $5000 for the E Class, $3000 for the CLS Class, up to $10,000 on its 2013 S Class (to reduce inventories for the unveiling of the new 2014 S Class). That aggressiveness paid off for them big time, obviously.

• Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676

@sterlingdog said: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU! I have had quite a time reaching this new site.

Oh, yay! You made it! Really glad, because our next step in the troubleshooting process involved asking you to do some clearing of cookies & cache on your end, and I know how you love technical stuffs. :)

@snakeweasel - just noticed your new signature line. Love it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,016

"...only salespeople have keys..."

I'm probably thinking more used car lots than new. Having said that I did go browsing new car lots when they were closed on Sunday to get a "feel" of different new cars, something you can't do online. I was sure someone would call the cops as I wandered different dealerships but no one did.

Makes you wonder how much longer that will be possible in today's world where gangs steal wheels right off the cars in full view of the street and saw off the cat for the precious metal.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,016

"...clearing of cookies..."

I finally figured out how to do that and it seems to have helped. The little Toyota ad that was obscuring posts is gone now. I was getting worried that my IPad was funky. Pop ups were taking over. There was even a small Hyundai ad sideways on the right margin on top of the VW ad.

There are probably parts of this new system I'll never master but at least I can post now without throwing furniture.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

@bwia said: MB had a strong fourth quarter. Here are the sales data for the E-Class and the entire auto industry

Thanks for the link. I think the real surprise was the improvement in Cadillac. Although, the MB figures were impressive in their contest with BMW, (not to put a damper on the party), the real test maybe who made the larger profit. If you increase incentives, and you sell lots of low price (lower profit) cars, then you may actually lose out on the more important and meaningful contest....actual profit.

@sterlingdog said: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU!

Nice to have you back sterlingdog,....er....Richard! Happy New year to you too....better late than never.