Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carmax - What's Your Experience?

1383940414244»

Comments

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623
    Why would anyone buy from this place? They have ridiculous prices and the stories in here make me sick as to their shady tactics and problems paying their bills. Folks, please stay away...far away from these clowns. There are plenty of legitimate places to purchase a vehicle. When I read these stories, glad I buy new cars now. Would rather buy a less expensive new that an inflated lemon with issues that are covered up before purchase.
    Folks, use your brains and do not bu from CarSux!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Carmax is very legitimate. They are used cars! They warranty them, offer extended warranties, and have a 5 day money back guarantee, unconditional. Yea, like anywhere, they have issues sometimes, but they put out a decent product and the price is worth knowing you did not buy a wrecked car.
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 189
    Carmax sells vehicles at high prices. Supposedly their pricing is non-negotiable which rarely results in the best price. Carmax may be convenient but at a price. Having shopped Carmax on multiple occassions, savy buyers can find better pricing elsewhere.

And, since Carmax sells all brands, I would question the ability of their mechanics to work on all brands.
  • Just before Christmas 2012 I bought a car from Carmax Oxnard to the tune of $30,700.00 I paid by cashier's check from my credit union which happens to be just across the freeway from the Carmax. Certainly close enough to call and verify the legitimacy of the cashier's check if they thought it was a fake.
    Now here it is April and my credit union just called to tell me they are releasing their lienholder status on my car because I never had a loan through them to begin with.

But I am TRULY thrilled that Carmax gave my bank the legal authority to lay claim to a car i ultimately paid cash for. There was NO disclosure that by paying with a cashier's check I would be essentially granting the issuer of the cashier's check a legal claim to my car.

YET my bank is the entity that has had the pink slip to my car in their hands for over 3 months now.

Thanks Carmax for shooting to hell what had been a good experience.
  • homer72homer72 Posts: 2
    I'm a bargain car shopper for the last 15 years. I've gotten the Edmunds trade in vaue for the last 4 cars I've bought from dealers. HOWEVER I am buying my current car from carmax for 1 reason. I can't find it anywhere else. I want an Audi A4 Convertible with Quattro Trans 2008 or newer. They just can't be found, I've driven 100's of miles looking at cars and none of them had quattro and my Audi mechanic said you can't buy the 2WD. So I'm stuck and carmax had a reasonably priced car on a lot far away that I paid to ship to the lot so I could buy it. For me because I wanted a specific car, I didn't have much option.

Given a normal car purchase I wouldn't go near them, I can haggle 3-5k our of a carmax price.
  • homer72homer72 Posts: 2
    My 2001 VW Beetle would disagree with you about reliability... still running strong after 13 years.
  • mikemennmikemenn Posts: 1
    We picked out a car to look at online to be transferred from Nashville to Atlanta at no cost. We liked that.

The test drive went well. Our associate knew the car quite well, gave us plenty of time to drive and look it over. We liked that.

In hindsight, we wish we our current car was being appraised while we were test driving. We had to kill time when we got back from the test drive while it was appraised. We suggest you get that going before your test drive. Our appraisal was more than fair. We liked that.

Your financing was 1/2% under our best one from our Credit Union. We liked that.

Maxcare (their extended warranty) was offered to us. Our associate went over the benefits. At first glance we thought it was a good deal, especially since it was included in the financing. But since we never buy at the moment we see something, we told him we'd do some more research on the car and everything and then come back that afternoon.

After some research, we thought they had a good deal on the vehicle but not on Maxcare and came back to buy the car. After hearing we didn't want Maxcare, our associate wouldn't let up on it over the next 45 minutes of closing on the car. Over and over again he wanted to get us to buy it, even stating at one point, "I guess you don't want to take care of your car."

The more he went on and on about it, the more we knew Maxcare was not a good deal. He must have been losing out on a commission, which means it costs too much because they have the commission built into it. This is the only downside to Carmax: their associates are on commission, just like a dealership.

The last disappointing thing that happened (in an otherwise good experience) is that the money they were paying us for my car wasn't put into bringing our new car price down, but was post financing to bringing down my payments, like a pre-payment. The later did bring my final financing down but was more than me insisting they move it to bring my car's final cost down, thus lowering my principle and thus lowering even more my monthly payments. I guess this is another way Carmax makes money.

So all in all, it's not 100% "the way car buying should be" but it certainly better than buying used from a dealership or Joe Shmoo.
  • They make a flat rate on the car, and yes a little for the warranty. But the very good thing about the warranty is you can go to any reputable shop and they will accept it. ou can also cancel anytime and get a pro rated refund. It is a very good warranty. Carmax sales people work on volume, paid on each car, not like regular dealers where sometimes crazy commissions. Only thing he should have done was offer to appraise your trade while on the test drive.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,639
    The last disappointing thing that happened (in an otherwise good experience) is that the money they were paying us for my car wasn't put into bringing our new car price down, but was post financing to bringing down my payments, like a pre-payment. The later did bring my final financing down but was more than me insisting they move it to bring my car's final cost down, thus lowering my principle and thus lowering even more my monthly payments. I guess this is another way Carmax makes money.

I had to re-read this part a couple of times.. That seems really shady. I would worry that they would renege on the trade-in part of the deal, after you'd closed, and you would end up with two cars... and, a bigger payment.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• billy3554billy3554 Posts: 147
    Actually, if you Google Carmax Warranty you will find a plethora of negative comments. Overall seems Carmax's warranty is rated only about 2 out of 5 stars. One review site listed 86 percent of its reviews as having a rating of 2 or less. Certainly not indicative of a very good warranty.

Like all extended service contracts, particularly those not from the OEM, an extended service contract from Carmax seems best avoided.
  • fjallravfjallrav Posts: 1
    After searching for a specific car for three months, I found one locally and needed to sell my current car quickly. I figured that the small dealer where I was buying the car would not give me great trade-in value so, very aware of the Edmunds values as well as the payoff; I thought I’d give CarMax a try.

I have very little patience, or time, for selling cars so I was willing to except a lower offer for the sake of convenience but I was astounded by the low appraisal from CarMax. The car I was selling was three years old with low mileage, the top trim level of a popular model and in perfect condition. The offer from the small lot where I bought my new, used, car, while still low in comparison to the Edmund’s values, was $1000 higher than the CarMax offer.

They were professional and efficient and I can appreciate their business model, but you really are paying a lot more for the convenience they provide and, despite the advertising, they are not paying a fair price for used cars.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,623

Almost bought from here this month but decided that the used vehicle was just too expensive for what I was getting. They lowballed my pristine trade in but at least I had a low price where I could base everything else on. I also liked the sales guy I dealt with even though he was leaving for a better position somewhere else. All in all, they have a good wide selection but am glad I bought a new vehicle where I did.

The Sandman :) B)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• ren21ren21 Posts: 1

I purchased a car from Carmax this past Saturday. I had it transferred and when they called to say it was in, I went immediately to look at it. Had I known before I went that once I stepped on the lot, I either had to buy the car or they would re-list it, I would have waited to go see it until I had my financing and own mechanic lined up. I drove the car and loved it. Knowing that they had a 5 day return policy and that I could switch my loan after purchase, I went ahead and bought it. On Monday I took it to my own mechanic for a once over and he said that the car was in rough shape. It only had 28,000 miles on it and already needed a new clutch. It also was out of alignment and that there was evidence that the car had been run hard. He suggested that I return the car because he saw nothing but problems with it. Carmax was wonderful regarding the return. I will give them that, but I don't understand how someplace that claims to be so picky about every car they put on their lot missing something as basic as needing a new clutch and the alignment being out. I informed them of everything that my mechanic found wrong with the car. To my surprise, the next day, there was the car re-listed on the internet. I don't believe for one minute that they fixed anything with the car. They put a car back on the website fully aware that it had issues. The buying/return of the car was simple and straightforward. I was even considering looking for another car through them, as long as I had an independent mechanic check the car over, but after I saw that car re-listed, I don't trust them at all.

• ramos9ramos9 Posts: 1
    edited June 13

I am not one to leave reviews on forums but my last purchase through Carmax has completely changed their image and brand I was loyal to. I purchased a 2008 Porsche Carrera from their Las Vegas location this past April. The car was beautiful but had minor items that needed to be fixed, to be exact the headlights needed to be adjusted, the rear bumper was lose, and the passenger seat rail was not functional.

It took me two weeks to be able book an appointment for the items to be repaired under their "30 day warranty" period. Once I had the appointment, I was promised my car back within one week. Two weeks and four days went by and I was still waiting for them to return my vehicle. I reached out to my service advisor but she advised me Porsche needed to complete their repairs. Out of frustration I called Porsche my self to come to find out the car had been finished three days prior to my call.

When I received my car back and had driven home, I noticed a dent caused by a vehicle door that was not there when I initilly dropped my car off. I immediately contacted my service advisor to discuss this and left her over five voicemails in a span of 5 days but have not heard back from her. I tried contacting their corporate office via email several times and completed two customer satisfaction surveys that were emailed to me and I still have not heard from anyone at Carmax.

It is very unfortunate that a company that has such a great edge in the auto industry has such a bad level of customer service and focus.

J. Ramos

• kshoafkshoaf Posts: 1

I have bought 4 cars from CarMax, and had good experiences with the people and they made it pretty easy. They charge too much for the licensing fees, but it is convenient for them to get your tags. My biggest complaint is with the Service Dept., they are not open on weekends and are actually very limited in their knowledge of various vehicles. They are not quick to get back to you, and if it's under their warranty they think they can keep it for two weeks.

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,960

"Used car sales company CarMax is under intense scrutiny over the safety of cars it sells, as auto safety and consumer organizations have filed a petition to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If supported, the petition would compel CarMax to cease advertising its cars as quality inspected and certified as long as recalled cars are sold unrepaired."

Groups Attack CarMax Over Selling Recalled Cars (automobilemag.com)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.