Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carmax - What's Your Experience?

1242526272830»

Comments

• fjallravfjallrav Posts: 1
    After searching for a specific car for three months, I found one locally and needed to sell my current car quickly. I figured that the small dealer where I was buying the car would not give me great trade-in value so, very aware of the Edmunds values as well as the payoff; I thought I’d give CarMax a try.

I have very little patience, or time, for selling cars so I was willing to except a lower offer for the sake of convenience but I was astounded by the low appraisal from CarMax. The car I was selling was three years old with low mileage, the top trim level of a popular model and in perfect condition. The offer from the small lot where I bought my new, used, car, while still low in comparison to the Edmund’s values, was $1000 higher than the CarMax offer.

They were professional and efficient and I can appreciate their business model, but you really are paying a lot more for the convenience they provide and, despite the advertising, they are not paying a fair price for used cars.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,737

Almost bought from here this month but decided that the used vehicle was just too expensive for what I was getting. They lowballed my pristine trade in but at least I had a low price where I could base everything else on. I also liked the sales guy I dealt with even though he was leaving for a better position somewhere else. All in all, they have a good wide selection but am glad I bought a new vehicle where I did.

The Sandman :) B)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• ren21ren21 Posts: 1

I purchased a car from Carmax this past Saturday. I had it transferred and when they called to say it was in, I went immediately to look at it. Had I known before I went that once I stepped on the lot, I either had to buy the car or they would re-list it, I would have waited to go see it until I had my financing and own mechanic lined up. I drove the car and loved it. Knowing that they had a 5 day return policy and that I could switch my loan after purchase, I went ahead and bought it. On Monday I took it to my own mechanic for a once over and he said that the car was in rough shape. It only had 28,000 miles on it and already needed a new clutch. It also was out of alignment and that there was evidence that the car had been run hard. He suggested that I return the car because he saw nothing but problems with it. Carmax was wonderful regarding the return. I will give them that, but I don't understand how someplace that claims to be so picky about every car they put on their lot missing something as basic as needing a new clutch and the alignment being out. I informed them of everything that my mechanic found wrong with the car. To my surprise, the next day, there was the car re-listed on the internet. I don't believe for one minute that they fixed anything with the car. They put a car back on the website fully aware that it had issues. The buying/return of the car was simple and straightforward. I was even considering looking for another car through them, as long as I had an independent mechanic check the car over, but after I saw that car re-listed, I don't trust them at all.

• ramos9ramos9 Posts: 1
    edited June 13

I am not one to leave reviews on forums but my last purchase through Carmax has completely changed their image and brand I was loyal to. I purchased a 2008 Porsche Carrera from their Las Vegas location this past April. The car was beautiful but had minor items that needed to be fixed, to be exact the headlights needed to be adjusted, the rear bumper was lose, and the passenger seat rail was not functional.

It took me two weeks to be able book an appointment for the items to be repaired under their "30 day warranty" period. Once I had the appointment, I was promised my car back within one week. Two weeks and four days went by and I was still waiting for them to return my vehicle. I reached out to my service advisor but she advised me Porsche needed to complete their repairs. Out of frustration I called Porsche my self to come to find out the car had been finished three days prior to my call.

When I received my car back and had driven home, I noticed a dent caused by a vehicle door that was not there when I initilly dropped my car off. I immediately contacted my service advisor to discuss this and left her over five voicemails in a span of 5 days but have not heard back from her. I tried contacting their corporate office via email several times and completed two customer satisfaction surveys that were emailed to me and I still have not heard from anyone at Carmax.

It is very unfortunate that a company that has such a great edge in the auto industry has such a bad level of customer service and focus.

J. Ramos

• kshoafkshoaf Posts: 1

I have bought 4 cars from CarMax, and had good experiences with the people and they made it pretty easy. They charge too much for the licensing fees, but it is convenient for them to get your tags. My biggest complaint is with the Service Dept., they are not open on weekends and are actually very limited in their knowledge of various vehicles. They are not quick to get back to you, and if it's under their warranty they think they can keep it for two weeks.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,565

"Used car sales company CarMax is under intense scrutiny over the safety of cars it sells, as auto safety and consumer organizations have filed a petition to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If supported, the petition would compel CarMax to cease advertising its cars as quality inspected and certified as long as recalled cars are sold unrepaired."

Groups Attack CarMax Over Selling Recalled Cars (automobilemag.com)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I recently bought a car from CarMax and it's been a nighmare ever since. This is NOT the way car buying should be. Aside from the major hassle received because we did our own financing, once we got the car it fell apart, literally. Front bumper came off as well as the light switch when I went to turn on the driving lights. Then found the steering wheel controls had to be replaced and the TPMS system was on the blink. Guess their rigid quality control inspection isn't that good of standard. Needless to say, decided to take it back. That's when the real problems started. Come to find out when you buy the car they want the money up front, when you give it back they have to 'process' the refund at the corporate office then will snail mail you a check when they get around to it. Then they didn't properly record the lein so the check went to the wrong bank, meanwhile I'm paying loan interest on a car I don't own. Not that it stopped them from instantly putting the car up for sale when they don't have a clear title to sell it. It's taken them two days and a ton of phone calls to figure out what I found out in less than 2 minutes. Now that they figured it out I have to wait another week for them to 'Expedite' the check to the correct bank.
    All in all, this has been the absolute worst car buying experience in my 30 years of buying cars.
  • I have been buying cars a long time and the one common with car dealers, they can't tell the truth. Was hoping Carmax would be different, guess not. Bald tires, too high of an interest rate. Getting tires today, just a month after buying car. What a shame.
  • ken117ken117 Posts: 207
    Carmax is, after all the promises and hype, a used car dealer. Rarely can a used car dealer be trusted.

Folks needing a late model used vehicle would, in most cases, be more likely to receive a better overall experience buying a CPO vehicle from a dealer. Better service, most likely better condition, and very often a lower price, assuming one can negotiate even just a bit.

My limited experience with Carmax is their prices are very high. Example, a few years ago I bought a new Corolla. Carmax had a Corolla, current model year, with less options and 12K miles. Carmax's no haggle price was actually several hundred dollars more than what I paid for the brand new Corolla.

A good axiom is a purchase from any car dealer, particualry used car dealers, that attempts to sell at a set price will result in a price which is considerably higher than prices obtained via negotiation.