Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scion xB Accessories & Modifications

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,958
edited March 15 in Scion
This is the place to talk about what you're doing to "tweak" your xB to get it just the way you like it!

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• m4ethm4eth Posts: 101
    Has anyone installed a Cruise control in either the XB or XA...is it possible or does space limitations prohibit this???

Thanks,

Mike
  • There seems to be a lot of plastic hanging off the back of the bumper. Is it possible to mount a hitch receiver back there, on the frame, so you could put a hitch-mounted bike rack on the back?

Then again, I don't know about opening the rear hatch upwards with a hitch-mounted rack and bikes in place. Any comments?
  • rob999rob999 Posts: 233
    For a cars with a rear hatch where you want a rear bike mount, consider spending a bit more $ and get a rear rack with a pantograph action or one that swings away to the side. Otherwise, using the hatch with the racks on is a no-go.
  • Can you be more specific about the pantograph-type rack and about the kind of rack that swings to the side?

Are these hitch-mounted?

Can you suggest a couple manufacturers who offer these kinds of racks?

TIA
  • aathertonaatherton Posts: 617
    A few years ago I had the bed of my 1991 Mazda truck sprayed with Line-X and it's great. I wish I could see what your xB looks like with the lower part sprayed, because I also have a TCM silver one and might want to do it. I will email you to see if you have any photos.
    For suspsension mods, I did these myself (age 63) and highly recommend them:
    - Changing the rear shocks to softer SensaTracs. Softens the bumpy rear.
    - Adding a rear sway bar. Flattens the curves some more, and makes the handling neutral.

Here's two albums I made for my xB photos:

Scenic shots:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Scion%20xB/
    Changing transmission oil:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/xB%20Trans%20Oil%20Change- /
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Where did you get the rear sway bar?

On a 2003 Echo, I swapped out the stock struts/shocks for Sensatracs - to firm up the ride (the Echo was too wallowy!).

(The Sensatracs are made by Monroe's European subsidiary and the valving is firm to satisfy European tastes - apparently on your xB the extra firmness is offset by the extra xB weight and gives you just the ride you want! That's a great user tip, by the way.)
  • hope01hope01 Posts: 1
    I just got my xB friday and am thinking about putting vent visors on it. I was just wondering if anyone new if they created any wind noise or if they create any other issues? :)
    I looked into vent shades and decided not to. People's experience seemed to vary a lot.
    The kind that slip into the window channel can interfere with the closing of the window. The kind that stick onto the outside of the door can leave residue when removed. Some people found their rear shades did not fit the window. Some people returned their shades.
    I picked a TRD sway bar because it was said to be the most flexible (or least rigid), and was also the cheapest at $155 including shipping when ordered from Sparks Toyota at http://trdsparks.com/index.php.
  • scion66scion66 Posts: 2
    Hi I added four gages,air horns,heated seats.LEDS in the wheel wells,injen intake. Now I have the air bag simbels,brake, vsc,abs,track off&off air bag LIGHTS on.HELP. scion66
  • scion66scion66 Posts: 2
    I have the vent shide that go into the window channel they work great they don't interfere with anything.Scion66
    "... I wish I could see what your xB looks like with the lower part sprayed, because I also have a TCM silver one and might want to do it..."

No answer there, so I took some photos of my xB and used Photoshop to change the skirts and lips to black. Looked pretty good, so I took the car to the Line-X shop that did my truck bedliner, and had them spray the skirts and lips:
    http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/vintagefortytwo/Scion%20xB/
  • Hey people, I got my xB about two weeks ago. The more I look at it while driving at night, the more I want to change the lights behind my big round gauge, as well as behind the center switches under the radio, and the radio buttons on my steering wheel. I would like a little more uniform lighting inside. Has anyone done this? Please guide me.
  • I finally wore out the stock Goodyear Eagles at 48k and 3/32nds of tread left. I put on a set of Falken Ziex 512's and what a difference!!!! Smoother, crisper cornering and handling are the result. I also went up a size to 195 60 15. The gas mileage that I measured today at fillup was 32.14 mpg. Not too bad I'd say. I ended up getting them from Sears because of a sale that I couldn't pass up. The stock Goodyears didn't have 48k on them--more like 38k due to the fact that I run dedicated snows in the winter. The Falken's make my commute that much more comfortable and relaxing, and I recommend them to all you XB owners. BTW, who has the highest milege on their XB to date?
  • just installed a pair of front seat covers from exactseatcovers.com. They were cheap ($13 + $11 shipping to Seattle area from Houston), well made, nice fit, nice material. I didn't want to take a chance on the $100+ models. HIGHLY recommended.
  • Thanks for the seat cover post. I've been looking for a backseat cover to limit the dirt and damage from the kids and dogs. This should do the trick.
  • Have any of you XB owners replaced your headlight bulbs? I drive a lot of twisty back roads to and from work and am looking for a brighter bulb. I've looked at the Silverstars but wanted some feedback from the members. Any suggestions?
  • My driver's side front door has lost it's ability to stay open. It no longer " catches " when I open it. Do I have to remove the interior door panel to see what's wrong?
  • dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    Silverstars have been tested and shown to produce LESS light that OEM bulbs in some cars and trucks and the SAME in others. Ditto all the other "blue" or "white" bulbs. OEM bulbs work about as well as anything else and are far cheaper.

I have found the xB's low beams to be really nice for non-HID lights.

You could:

Get over wattage bulbs - those will produce more light but may melt the light wiring (unless you install new wires and a relay). They could also melt or darken the headlight lens to due the higher temps.

Get aftermarket HID replacement bulbs. You will get LOTS of light but at a fairly high price. You will also dazzle oncoming drivers since the light is too bright and scattered. You can put an "eyebrow" on the lights to cut down on the scatter and might be OK. If you don't pay extra for bi-xenon lights you will lose the high beams.

Get driving lights, maybe even HID driving lights. This would seem to be the best solution - bright, extra light down the road when you need it with no blinding other cars when you don't.

Dennis
  • I just purchased a 2006 Scion XB. The interior lighting - just the overhead - is insufficient. Where do I go to find out what other light options there are, and someone to install them. I want lights that come on when I open the door. The overhead light presently is not useful as my body blocks that overhead light. I am located in Sanford Florida.
    Some folks purchased one of those auto-dimming mirrors that have map lights in them. Then wire the map lights into the dome light circuit and you have more light up front.

The lack of light up front seems to be the number one complaint on the xB. The one light does no good up front - and when looking for something under the lift-gate does not do much back there either.

Dennis
    For a light under $10 that you press to turn on and off, look at the Sylvania Dot-It. I stuck a silver one on the flat plastic area over my mirror, and black ones on each side of the trunk.
    From Amazon.com or from your local Meijer, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, etc:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-Self-Adhesive-Bright-White-Silver/dp/B000CNB6VW/s- r=8-2/qid=1169757497/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-8291921-0032404?ie=UTF8&s=automotive
  • joesbarjoesbar Posts: 20
    My friend has an xB that came with a boom tube in the back. It makes a HUGE difference in the sound. I have also noticed his Scion "Pioneer" cd player has a button or two in different places.

My questions are: Are there different models of the cd players for the xB's?

Or does his sound THAT much better and seem to have that much more power solely based on the TUBE?

The xB's that come with the tubes do they also come with amps or something? Because his xB Pioneer sounds A HELL of a lot louder than mine, hard to believe it's based on the tube alone. And does the dealer install now after I bought it? (Just bought it a week ago:)
    There are two Scion/Pioneer CD players. The "free" one that has track and folder up/down BUTTONS on the face of the player and a single knob in the center for volume. The upgrade one ($260 extra) has two silver KNOBS for the volume and tuning, adds an ipod connector (with control for your ipod from the player), and the ability to change colors of the display. So to tell which one is in a Scion - just look for the knob VS buttons and the existence on an ipod connector on the console.

There are usually several of these on sale on ebay (along with a bunch of the older pre-06 radios) - just go there and search on scion pioneer and you should find some pictures.

I don't have the specs in front of me, but I think Scion claims "160 watts" for either of the models - the differences being the design, ipod, and colors.

What you can try - in your friend's xB hit the center DSP button and see if it is in "hear" or "feel" mode and set yours to the same.

Another thing to try - make sure your dealer (and his dealer) set the unit to the proper car. I think you push and HOLD the DSP/SSP button and it will come up and say either "xA", "xB" or "tC". The same radio/cd is used in all three and needs to be programmed to match the car they stuck it in. One of those settings sounds really bad in an xB and the other two are similar. Check your friend's and yours to see if they are set the same - and see which you like better in your box. Mine came set wrong (on the car that sounds bad in an xB) so once I changed it was happier with the sound. If I recall, you use the volume control to change the car type. This works in any generation Scion/Pioneer unit: the old ones, the new non-ipod, and the ipod one. A ton of Scions are driving around with this set wrong.

The Scion 8" bazooka tube is $429 + install (full price) from a Scion dealer and most folks seem to think it is not worth the money. You can get an aftermarket sub and amp installed for the same or less money that will sound a lot better.

Dennis
  • joesbarjoesbar Posts: 20
    Thanks Dennis. I already called and prepaid for the sub/tube at my Toy dealer since they only had one... NOW I see I can get the same thing at CC for $150 less. I can get a REFUND for the Dealer Bazooka right? I haven't even picked it up yet. I would like the dealer to install though b/c I just have never had much luck with "other shops". They always seem to scratch something or not do something right.
  • Thanks for the feedback on the headlights. While I'm not actively pursuing new lights at this time, it is an upgrade that I may do in the next few mos. I drive many miles of twisty two lane roads, over mountains into DC gridlock. A neighbor informed me that he installed the new Sylvania Silverstars CB's (cool blue) in his '06 XA and said they are a huge improvement over the stock Scion lights. I'll take a night ride in his XA to view the lights firsthand.
    If you just paid all that money for new lights, wouldn't you THINK they made a big difference as well? They may look better (cool blue color) but I would bet they do not put out more light (and probably less) than new OEM bulbs would.

That is another thing to note - with standard halogen bulbs the longer you use the them the less the light output. So if you replace old bulbs with new ones (any kind) they COULD produce more light that the ones you replaced. If you put in a new OEM type bulb and a new "blue" bulb the OEM type should produce more light.

Dennis
This discussion has been closed.