Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy HHR: Problems & Solutions

1235»

Comments

• djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I am in the market for a "new" vehicle. One of the vehicles of interest is the HHR. After reading some of the postings on this and other sites, I am starting to question my desire to own this piece of "Junk"! Can't GM build a vehicle with some level of quality? And they wonder why people purchase Honda vehicles. Wake up GM!!!!!!!!!!!Best regards. --------- Dwayne :cry: :confuse: :(
    Hi "thebigal"
    Lets look at the listing of defects of the HHR just on this site, (Edmunds).
    Water on the floor when it rains
    Check engine light on
    Wind noise
    Radio off "static"
    Radio on loud crackling pop
    Paint problems
    Drive train vibration
    Bad front rotors
    Bad fuel pump
    Growling / groaning noise from the engine when taking off from a traffic light
    Engine knock on a cold start
    Lower control arm snapped off while the vehicle was being driven
    I think that this vehicle has some VERY serious operational problems.
    At this point in time, I am looking at an Impala, Honda Accord, Ford 500, Toyota Camry, Chevrolet HHR, and the Honda CR-V. The Impala LT2 is a VERY nice vehicle.
    QUESTION: Did General Motors forget how to design and manufacturer a vehicle? This is more than just "teething" on the part of the HHR. GM has a nice vehicle that could be making them some money, and they "dropped the ball" in terms of quality. I hope the 2007 HHR has more quality! --- Best regards. ----- Dwayne :confuse: :( ;)
  • rv1rv1 Posts: 1
    Any word on the steering rattle? I have the plague too
  • dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    I was considering an HHR and recently had a rental for two weeks. Now I'm not interested. Besides my concern about the mysterious water leak, here's my other disappointments.

1-No power; you need to anticipate every hill and accelerate before it's too late.
    2-Turning radius too large.
    3-Huge blind spots.
    4-Plastic cargo floor; everything slides around.
    5-At highway speed, I smelled exhaust inside (I believe the rear hatch was not sealed properly).
    6-Cup holders too hard to use without looking down away from the road.
    7-No decent storage compartment.
    8-Window controls are behind shifter and hard to use.
    9-Can't open doors without pushing power unlock first.
    10-With rear seats up, the headrests are in your rear view.
    11-Poor quality radio/sound system.

It did ride nice, seats were comfortable, climate control more than adequate and mileage was good. Still.... NO Sale.
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    you should have driven the 2.4 LT engine, with the upgraded MP3 headunit and Pioneer sound system...the rest are personal ergonomics.....I remove the headrests in the rear...no one sits there, cup holders....well if you buy a car based on those.....blind spots..mirrors can be adjusted to cover the entire field of vision...you have to learn to trust your side view mirrors, plastic cargo floor...rubber mat fixes...and most others have the same issue....decent storage.....for what?...again all personal perferences....but you do say its a nice comfortable ride, good gas mileage etc....and thats what most look for today.....good luck with your search
    pao:
    What about all of the other issues listed on this site. Does GM just get a "pass" on these issues???????????? -----Best regards. ---- Dwyane :confuse: ;)
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    most issues are worked by the dealerships...not GMs.....I have some issues with my Pontiac Solstice.....I work with the dealership under warranty to correct the problems.....I see many of the issues being the dealership service departments..untrained, unwilling or simply incompetent when dealing with the problems of the HHR and solstice...some are as easy as the radio reprogram..slip in a CD..run it and its fixed, bad fornt rotors...have an 04 maxx LT with the same issue...determined it was improper torque of the wheel lugs that was casusig it....I could go on and on here........others.....are TSBs published by GM....and yet others are model year enhancments....no car is perfect...and no Im not giving GM a pass either...but work with the dealership service department..if you find them unwilling or incompetent...find another.......and be informed as to what the fixes are.....
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,086
    Please check the discussion list here in the Chevrolet HHR Group for the appropriate "problems" discussion to post in.

We're moving away from these large generic discussions, and setting up smaller more focused ones. This is a work in progress, so if you don't find a discussion that fits the issue you want to talk about, please feel free to create a new one and we can adjust things later if need be.

Thanks for your patience and assistance as we move the furniture around!

I'll be moving posts out of this discussion to help get the new ones rolling, so if you find that some posts seem to have disappeared, that's the explanation. Just check the discussion list for the group by clicking on the link in this post to find the appropriate discussion.

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    Actually, the only major recurring problem I see is the water leak issue. I would like to say, that while GM may not have a sterling reputaion when it comes to build quality, they do build quality vehicles and that with most new models, there do tend to be some "teething" issues. Even with Honda. So I would hesitate to call the HHR a piece of "junk". I would own it over the PT Cruiser. Actually, as cool as some new models are, like the HHR, now the 07 Silverado, the Colbalt, I would be hesitant to own any 1st yearer. (I know it's not a word, but you get my point :D). I would much rather wait until they get the kinks worked out and then buy one. Hey even by then the prices will have dropped and I might even be able to buy a good used one. :D I bought a new 04 Impala, which has been perfect with no problems. I also bought a used 01 S-10 which has been a fairly reliable vehicle, and it has had it's share of repairs, but nothing major. Both of these vehicles were at the latter end of thier production run after most of the major issues had been discovered and fixed and they have been the best vehicles I have ever owned.
1235»
This discussion has been closed.