Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HHR Real World MPG Numbers

Comments

• 2LT (2.4L) automatic. Now that the outside temps are <80F I seem to be getting closer to 30 MPG again....during July & Aug when temps close to 100F...was down to 24-25 MPG???
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,184
    That doesn't sound to suprising to me, I think you will 'potentialy' get better milage when temps aren't on either side of extreme (to hot or to cold). Thats assuming your driving habits and conditions are about the same. I've been driving a tad faster lately (and perhaps a little more aggressive ;) ) and my milage per Driver info center has dropped a bit, 31.7 down from just over 32
  • Ray80...is yours the 2.2 or 2.4, stick or automatic?
    2.4 stick (Must be behaving the past few days. 31.9 now )
  • smogdungsmogdung Posts: 349
    2.4L 2LT automatic , 12,000 miles...ave 27 mpg. Zero defects!
    260 miles , calulated 34.9 MPG. The estimated fuel range right after fill-up on return said 611 miles :P , don't think thats gonna happen.
    Sounds a little optimistic Ray. Best I've ever gotten with my 2.2L 5 Speed Alero ecotec was 33.2 mpg....& it weighs 2-3 hundred lbs less than the HHR. The Alero has 60 series 15s though,...Was you in neutral going down a steep mountain?
    Anyone else notice a sharp decrease in MPG during 0-20 F temps? Seems to have gone from 27 down to 22....may just be start of new tank oddity??? Will report after real fillup calculation.
    For sure, its normal to see decrease when temps start dropping that low.
    It did get down to 1 F .... MPG down may be due to temp tire pressure down.....?
    Tire pressure is always a good thing to check after major temp change. With the cold temps milage will still suffer. It will be better when warmth comes back.
    Pumped tires up to 35 from 30....temps this week 5-21 F....2.4 auto...mpg improved to 24. I think the wife is using that remote start thing a lot & letting it idle to warm up before she leaves work...
    One other thing that may help a tad is to not leave defrost on when not needed as A/C compressor is turned on while using it. My milage has been on steady decline since cold weather made an appearance here in northeast
    Back up over 26....big difference between 5-15 degrees & 30-40 degrees. Big difference between when I drive vs the old lady!!
    Good to hear its a little better, those cold days are tough, as it would be if she looks over your shoulder at what you wrote ;)
    Married 36 years (since age 18), suspect she'd forgive me for this one insensitive statement....retirement from Fed = 12.5 more weeks!!!! 31 years VA, 6 years USNAR, 36 married, 27 father, 17 school = 117 years, no wonder I feel old!!!
  • Do this setup really help fuel economy?
    I assume you mean K& N filter. I don't have any personal experiance with them, but I checked their website and see nothing there thats indicates their air filter increases economy (other then a clean filter does better then a dirty one). There is no shortage of claims from people who claim better economy though (perhaps they only check after replacing the dirty one with brand new shiny new one without checking similar MPF (miles per filter)
  • Is there a way to get any better MPG that someone knows of? I just bought my 07 last Saturday, and other than it showing most the time about 23.8 city, and around 31 or so highway, I haven't really had a chance to see what it really gets. I will be taking a 1000 mile trip probably tomorrow, so I WILL find out. I seen on Ebay that there are several things that they say helps out on mpg, like Turbnado, which is just a piece of metal that slips in the air intake hose, supposedly creating a vortex. I put the original Turbinator in my Explorer, and didn't really monitor it. Don't really think that it did much, but not sure. :)
    I have yet to see any for sure magic bean to will ensure great milage (despite claims from here and there). Best thing I know of is driving habits, usual things like no jack rabbit starts, anticipate stops at lights and ease out of throttle early rather then using brakes at last moment, keeping rpms down and no long warm ups at idle on cold winter days. Yours being brand new I would expect it to be a little stiff right now and I would not be surprised if milage goes up on its own for a while as time goes on. Oh and it helps if you don't have 200 lbs of junk in the trunk also (tools of whatever)