Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 and newer Lincoln Navigators

Comments

• ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    The navigators folding third row IS a huge advantage, but I will give the nod to the Slade in a number of areas, including:
    exterior style
    interior fit and finish
    sound system
    rear entertainment system ( I believe that the Slade loads DVD's in the dash, while the Navigator loads in the overhead console)
    Ride

Do either of these trucks have bluetooth?

Unfortunately, if you want a folding 3rd row, you're stuck with the Armada/QX56 with it's awful reliability or the Durango/Aspen, which really doesn't have the goodies to compete in this league.

I started a full-sized luxury SUV thread but it died a quick death. I'm still considering the Slade vs. Navigator vs. Yukon Denali vs. LX470.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Unfortunately, if you want a folding 3rd row, you're stuck with the Armada/QX56 with it's awful reliability or the Durango/Aspen, which really doesn't have the goodies to compete in this league

Huh? Ford invented the concept in 02 with the Explorer, and put it into the Expedition and Navigator in 03. Nissan cleverly copied it, and so has Dodge. Good idea. I'm surprised Toyota is taking so long to improve on it, but GM will never get it. Just bringing out the GMT900 line without it, is insanity. But, more horsepower will compensate, evidently.

Ford has always been the wagonmaster, with the best wagons first. Same with trucks. GM is an also ran in innovation these days. Not saying their trucks aren't good, they are. Just the last to get technology.

I believe neither the Slade or Gator have bluetooth yet.
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    The Escalade is the favorite. I actually like both but the Escalade, would be the one I'd spend my money on.

Rocky
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    An "insider" on another site is claiming that the new LX 470 will have a power fold 3rd row .... but instead of folding flat into the truck, the seats will fold up against the sides like they currently do.

Sounds like a strange design to me.

Give me a current Lexus LX470 with the Navi's interior room and current third row set up and I'd pay WHATEVER they ask for the darned truck.

I still think Lincoln would be smart to offer a "geek" options package including all the goodies we've talked about here.

Any Ford insiders here care to comment if that'll be possible in the near future?
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    I'm not sure what the "huh?" is for- I was agreeing with everything you said. Perhaps you thought I was saying that Ford did not offer a folding third row seat? Sorry if I was confusing...

I agree with the comment about the LX470 replacement. An updated LX with same goodies that are in the current LS460 would be a dream come true. I guarantee we will be spending a pretty penny for one once it comes out. Hopefully, fall 2007 as a 2008 model.
    Ok, sorry, my misunderstanding evidently. Apologies. :blush:
  • From Ford:
    "Overall, truck sales were down 13 percent, but the company's all-new, full-size sport utility vehicles (Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator) posted higher sales. Expedition sales were up 14 percent and Navigator sales were up 65 percent."
    What's the time frame for these figures? November only? Year to date?

65 percent increase in sales?!?!? Either the '05's were selling really S-L-O-W-L-Y or the new model is a big hit -- at least initially. Perhaps a mixture of both?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    I think those numbers were November 05 vs November 06. It's a little of both I think.
  • I like the Escalade because it has these features not found on the Navigator. Heated windshield washer fluid, Heated steering wheel, Voice recognition, of course rear-view camera, better fuel economy, 103 more horsepower, much better fuel economy w/ DOD, intellibeams, Remote start enabling remote start and climate-control system activation, Onstar, 22's rims, to name a few.....It doesn't hurt that I get a GM employee discount that would knock off $7K minus rebates of the sticker.

heated washshield fluid was not a great advantage it didnt work to well. the steering wheel really forget about that feature it does not work at all, there was no heat coming from it at all. as for fuel the navigator gets better gas mielage and longer range on full tank. from experience of owning an 2007 slade now owning a 07 navigator. the intellbeams did not work all that well. when you coming to a big sign at night they will go back to low beam due to the reflect on the sign, the intellbeam needs improvements. the phone on the slade was a good feature but was hard to talk to and hard for the other person to understand conversation due to the exaust tone in the cabin. as for price range the navi is a great deal with more loaded features. also the navi can use regular graded while the escalade uses prem. navi is far better.
  • the sales on the 2007 lincoln navigator are up 44% and the 06 models are up 21% due to the fact they are giving huge rebates on th 2006. the lincoln dealership sold 7 '06 navigator in one day. they had 3 2007 and they were sold before they were loaded off the truck and put on the lot. the dealership here can not keep these suv on the lot. there are no more here on the lot. talked to the dealership and they said they will have three trucks of 2007 mark lt and navigator. They have 2007 mark lt with monotone trim they are so beautiful, will get my daughter one for graduation. as i posted above about the slade and navigator competition, another navi advantage is that the dvd entertainment is not located in the dash like the slade to me that was annoying. on the slade you could not watch and listem to a cd unlike the navi you can due to the fact they are located on diffrent units. as for ride quality the navi is superior.
  • sj1400sj1400 Posts: 4
    As a previous 00/03 Nav owner I was extremely let down on the styling of the 07 Navigator. I test drove the new Expedition and Navigator. In my opinion I do not feel the 07 offers any benfits over my 03. The $50 chrome nose option ruins the look of the truck. The rear tail lights don't look right - there too big and look added on. Nothing to criticize on the new Expedition. For my needs the 07 ESV was the better vehicle. After 1 month of ownership this truck is awesome. I do believe the interior in my 03 Gator was better since the gear shifter was in the center console. Where's the bluetooth and 1 touch UP power windows. No power tilt/telescope steering wheel. Inexcusable in a 70k truck. As we all know the 3rd row seat does not fold flat BUT this isn't a issue for me since the ESV has room for rear storage. THere's a noticeable performance gap btw the two-advantage GM. The 31 gallon tank allowed 590 miles of cruising at 70mph. I'm sure the 6 speed autos in both trucks will help highway mileage. Test drive both and go with the one that suits your needs best.
  • I agree that the Lincoln Navigator in its present rendition is abominable. Lets start with the exterior: That grille is truly ugly and has a comic quality that stops me from taking the rest of the vehicle seriously. It is no wonder that Ford has gone off the rails when they design a SUV so unhinged from any aesthetic sensibility. The rear looks unfinished and sits on tires too skinny for the proportions of the SUV. There is furthermore way too much chrome brutally applied. The interior is, sorry to say, even worse. The so-called chrome satin finish looks cheap and the square dials look very dated and hard to read. But then again I've never been a fan of FoMoCo North American interiors. European interiors are slightly better but not much. The engine is also clearly underpowered especially in comparison with the 'Slade. I suspect that there will be a mid cycle upgrade to the exterior and interior when they realise that their traditional customer base is shunning it. As for gas mileage being better than the Escalade who cares. If customers decide to buy these big barges and pay $50-65k I don't really think gas mileage should matter much. If gas mileage is an issue then there is always the upcoming Smart ForTwo.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,422
    Actually, the Gator exterior succeeds by being polarizing. You hate it/despise it. Others love the troweled on chrome. I doubt there will be any "mid-cycle" change to this rendition, since the body panels are carryover from the 98 design (and 03 design) with new front clip, updated interior, and rear hatch. They cannot keep spending money on further "mid-cycle" changes to a body design so long in the tooth. Next time, start fresh like they did with the Slade, and go them one better
  • There were 2 '07 Navigators parked side by side in the parking lot of the grocery store the other day-- a big one in Black and a regular one in White Pearl.
    I thought they looked pretty good.--for a 10 year old body that was born as a 1997 Expedition.
    I agree. They certainly could have done worse (though there are those who will disagree!). It is polarizing. And that is a good thing. Expecially considering it was an update like the 2006 Explorer (use the same body, do significant improvements underneath, new front clip, different interior). The Explorer update went over more like a lead balloon.

I think Ford may be done now with their half-baked "redesigns." Tarting up the old Focus into the 2008 actually ended up costing them more than it would have to simply base it on the newer European platform. Plus, after spending their update money, they ended up with a real yawner. Like the 2006 Explorer turned out to be. Thank God for the controversial Gator grill, or almost no one would be looking at it.
    I think the new grille will look much nicer once they offer the monochrome package. I think the bottom portion of the grille will be the same color as the car -- ditto with the chrome door panels.

Does anyone have pics of this newer, toned downed look? I heard it was supposed to be offered as an option this February.
    What? The "Remington" look is gone???
    No, not gone, just optional. Some of us think the Remington look is just what this old pig needs to still get some attention from some buyers.
    It's so strange. In 1998, the Navigator made its debut - to the hysterical laughing over at GM at this ridiculous "Town Truck" that Ford was putting out....oops, the damn thing is selling like Mustangs!!! Better get something out like it! So they tarted up a Tahoe (a little alliteration there for ya) and put it out as a 2000 Escalade. Surprise. The Cadillac truck sold too. No 2001 Escalade, but the 2002 which was all new outside, all old inside was an instant hit, and immediately took the attention away from Lincoln. No problem, Lincoln already had their 03 refresh in the can and brought out a revision with a FABULOUS and UNIQUE to that truck interior, and a little exterior change, with Independent Rear Suspension, powerfold third seat that were adult worthy, a flat rear deck, retracting running boards, air conditioned seats, and a 32 valve DOHC engine. Should have been a hit and taken the market back - it was a superior truck by virtue of design and features, though Cadillac threw in a larger engine, but it didn't, the exterior wasn't radical enough. Guys like me who liked the Lincoln DNA loved it, and bought it again. Mel Gibson bought it. Baseball players bought it. Rockstars and Rappers bought Escalades, and they got the media.

So, now Lincoln has made a lame attempt to be as radical as the Cadillac, just when the Cadillac made an attempt to "square up" and look more like the Lincoln/Expedition. ON features, I'd still buy the Lincoln, but based on appearance and the ridiculous dashboard, I'd have to buy a Lexus LX470. I won't buy the Cadillac until they understand how to make the rear seat fold flat into the floor, which shouldn't be such a problem since Ford showed the industry how to do it in 02, but GM is a slow learner.

It just amazes me how the vehicle that started the segment, once again, has been neglected into ignominity. Like the Taurus.
    ... I like that... good chuckle this morning banker, thanks!

Now that I see more of these trucks on the road I still find myself trying to convince myself I like the new design. That's not a good thing for me.

I've sold myself on the new interior -- I actually like it -- but only the light beige with the light wood trim.

I'm in the market for a new vehicle in December of this year and with two little ones growing up fast and with trips to Disney World, etc. looming ever more often I'm leaning towards a big suv once again.

Navi -- all the features I want (except rearview camera -- coming in 2008 model???) but so-so on the looks.

Caddy -- Nice looks inside and out but old school third row and from I'm reading, perhaps a louder ride (I like it quiet).

LX 470 -- Solid truck all around -- BUT HORRENDOUS third row design and a little smallish for a "BIG" truck. A redesign is scheduled for later this year or early next. Still, I can imagine prices on those trucks will be sky high for at least a year.

My dark horse in all this is the Lexus LS460 (car) -- what a sweet ride!!! Perhaps I'll ditch my SUV itch and go for a car again. My current LS430 has been THE most pleasing, most solid car I've ever driven.

I really might jump for a monochrome package Navi though... I'm sure the prices are VERY competitive for these trucks.

I haven't seen a pic yet on the net of the monochrome package.... can anybody hook me up with a link?
    That may be the way to go, gteach - your logic makes sense. Hands down, the Navigator (and Ford generally) has the design down the best. Have you considered (shudder here) the Infinity QX-56? Has similar 3rd row seating copied from Ford, tarted up Armada interior, shamelessly decorated with plood, but still, it's nice. They haven't had the best reliability rating in the past, but that may have changed, I don't know, the French own Nissan now. It is just a thought - probably you won't like the looks any better. I don't. Why did I even bring that up???
    Plood. I like that. Says what you meant in elegant shorthand.

The Infiniti is to Armada as Nav is to Expedition. Tarted up, not really redesigned, like the Pilot say, and its Acura cousin.

But at least the Infiniti has a more competitive engine. Of course, the 300 hp of the Nav ought to be enough, but with small sedans offering that now, maybe all the big pigs should offer more.
    au contrare, my young friend - the Navigator has a unique dash, and most of the interior to the Expedition - the QX just has plood inside of the Armada interior, straight from the Nissan parts bin.

There is a difference. Outside, you are correct.
    k

Plood v. different shapes. I'll take unique interior PLUS plood. :)
    To frustrate you even further, gregg - that wood like substance in the Navigator, is actually some kind of wood. May not be of the quality you will fine in a fine Jaguar or Mercedes - but.....you get unique design plus wood....
    How about plood AND wood??
    "plood" is plastic wood!!! I finally fell out of the tree on that one -- I'm not hip to all the lingo yet!

To be honest, I never could tell the difference between real and fake wood trims.

The "quality" test I use is to tap on the dash and the control console -- if it sounds thick and substantial I am happy, if it sound hollow and plasticky I'm not so happy. Very unscientific, I know -- but it works for me.

Case in point -- I just took in my wife's 06 ML350 for service and got an 07 Buick Lucerene as a loaner -- nice wood trim all around (nice car, too)-- BUT one tap on the dash and you could tell the dash was cheaply built by the plasticky echo that resonated.

I tried this same "tap test" on the 07 Navigator's interior at a car show and I was VERY impressed. The way the switches clicked, trays opened, etc. also felt substantial and had a "quality" feel to them.

I had an 03 Navi that had the brushed aluminum console and a plastic flip down door that looked and felt cheap and flimsy to me. The overall interior was nice though.

On the Infiniti QX -- Banker you are 100% right on that one -- The front end of that car looks very strange to me. Also, the strange sloping roof line of that truck makes it seem like the back 3/4's of the truck was welded on as an afterthought. The interior also seems a little flimsy to me too. I'm not a big fan of the QX in it's current form.
    Plastic wood can look better than the real stuff sometimes...it is all the execution.

I had real wood trim in my Olds 98 Touring Sedan. You could have fooled me, except they mistakenly installed the plastic stuff from the regular 98 on one door, and it looked truly awful in contrast. But then the console cracked, and they replaced the whole thing. The new "real wood" was a completely different shade from the rest....

There are many reasons Olds is gone. That was one of the most comfortable and well-appointed cars I ever had, but totally unreliable. The secon worst car I ever owned, in fact, next to an evil Opel.

Anyway, there is much plood, wood, and both real and fake metal trim, available after market. Again, some of it is gruesome, both in design and fit, but with the well executed stuff, it is difficult to tell the difference between tree and oil-based veneers.
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but the 2008 Navi is getting a unique rear view camera set-up where the video is displayed on the rear view mirror instead of the nav unit. Here's a link to a pic.. scroll down a bit within the page to see it.

Seems like an interesting idea......

http://media.ford.com/press_files/2008_Lincoln_Navigator.pdf
This discussion has been closed.