Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2007 and newer Lincoln Navigators

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    It's all about personal preference. Some people just prefer the Navigator styling. Why do you seem to think that everyone likes or values the same things that you do?
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I don't but why did they buy the Escalade in the first place when everyone knew the Navigator was coming right behind it ? Obviously one would assume they had to like the Escalade enough to buy one and trading it in on a gator to me is like going from a Cadillac to a Pontiac :surprise:

It's okay though...At least they didn't buy a Hyundai ;)

Rocky
    Most people don't have a clue when new models are coming out. If you don't read car mags or forums or go to car shows - how would you know?

Here are the reasons given:

has a more features in that escalade. beside the rear view camera. the tilt steering wheel, power third row, temp controls on steering wheel, power deploying boards(saw an escalade with them it didnt seem to look right just have a chrome bar on bottom made it look tacky((they using lincoln idea with power deployin boards)). it is also roomier as well.

Styling is totally subjective. I'd buy an Expedition or Navigator over a Suburban or Escalade just based on the styling and a few features, not to mention X plan discounts.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    I just have to add my 2 cents, dont I?

In 2004 when I bought my Navigator, there was really no contest. The Nav had a much nicer interior (a big factor for me), the ride and handling are great in it etc.

Now, the dashboard of the Nav has been destroyed, IMHO, and the Escalade interior is much much better than before - and is now better than the Nav's IMHO. The 100 HP advantage is important but also the mpg is in the slade's favor these days, is it not? And although the front end of the Nav is growing on me, I prefer the styling of the Escalade now.

In addition, the rear view camera option beats the beeping radar that my Nav has and the temp control on the steering wheel, while nice, causes other radio control features to not be there.

I agree with Edmunds quote here: "the 2007 Cadillac Escalade excels. Like-priced competitors such as the Infiniti QX56 and Lincoln Navigator may edge it out in one area or another, but overall the Escalade is a superior vehicle. In our opinion, paying a lot more money for a Lexus LX 470 or Land Rover Range Rover is an exercise in diminishing returns."

With one last caveat: The Escalade has ONLY AWD. The Navigator has AWD plus true 4WD with low range. This is a HUGE plus for the Nav - IF you plan on off-road or even a lot of snow driving.
    I like the Escalade because it has these features not found on the Navigator. Heated windshield washer fluid, Heated steering wheel, Voice recognition, of course rear-view camera, better fuel economy, 103 more horsepower, much better fuel economy w/ DOD, intellibeams, Remote start enabling remote start and climate-control system activation, Onstar, 22's rims, to name a few.....It doesn't hurt that I get a GM employee discount that would knock off $7K minus rebates of the sticker. ;)

Rocky
    heyjewel, thank-you. The slade also has that beeping radar also :P If I'm worried about lots of snow I can always put some snow shoes on the slade. I will also give the off roading edge to the gator, however the slade will be more than capable to handle what most people will put it through. If you need more then buy a Z-71 package Tahoe. ;)

Rocky
    We'll see how well DOD doesn't work in 2008 when the new EPA tests are out. And saying the Escalade gets better fuel mileage is simply saying it's queen of the pigs - they both suck. I don't need remote start or heated steering wheel or Onstar and I hate 22's.

I'm not knocking the Escalade as much as I'm saying there are reasons why people prefer the Navigator that are every bit as valid as the reasons why you prefer the Escalade. To each his own.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    I'm certainly not in the market for a heavy duty, truck-based rolling bordello, so neither the slade nor the gator do much for me (and as I said before, if I was in that market, the Denali would do nicely).

But styling preference aside, the slade styling has the attribute of being fresher. This third generation is a big improvement over the first and even the second. The gator, however, looks too much like a first generation with a new grill, tailgate and bumpers. A bit stale.
  • gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    I agree that the keypad on the Nav is a useful feature. That feature practically guarantees that you'll never be locked out of your vehicle again -- unless you forget the code!!!!

I think that the escalade does have a styling advantage inside and out... that opinion was not the case for me on previous generations of these trucks.

Still, the fold flat third row is a MAJOR advantage for the Navi. Having an uneven cargo area due to the seats being folded is a PAIN.

I've gotta drive an escalade to see if the HP REALLY makes a big difference.

Overall I think the caddy made a more substantial improvement jump than did the Navi.

IMO, the escalade was an ugly mess prior to this generation's debut.

Now the two trucks are pretty much even......
    I agree the Escalade would win "most improved".
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    The navigators folding third row IS a huge advantage, but I will give the nod to the Slade in a number of areas, including:
    exterior style
    interior fit and finish
    sound system
    rear entertainment system ( I believe that the Slade loads DVD's in the dash, while the Navigator loads in the overhead console)
    Ride

Do either of these trucks have bluetooth?

Unfortunately, if you want a folding 3rd row, you're stuck with the Armada/QX56 with it's awful reliability or the Durango/Aspen, which really doesn't have the goodies to compete in this league.

I started a full-sized luxury SUV thread but it died a quick death. I'm still considering the Slade vs. Navigator vs. Yukon Denali vs. LX470.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Unfortunately, if you want a folding 3rd row, you're stuck with the Armada/QX56 with it's awful reliability or the Durango/Aspen, which really doesn't have the goodies to compete in this league

Huh? Ford invented the concept in 02 with the Explorer, and put it into the Expedition and Navigator in 03. Nissan cleverly copied it, and so has Dodge. Good idea. I'm surprised Toyota is taking so long to improve on it, but GM will never get it. Just bringing out the GMT900 line without it, is insanity. But, more horsepower will compensate, evidently.

Ford has always been the wagonmaster, with the best wagons first. Same with trucks. GM is an also ran in innovation these days. Not saying their trucks aren't good, they are. Just the last to get technology.

I believe neither the Slade or Gator have bluetooth yet.
    The Escalade is the favorite. I actually like both but the Escalade, would be the one I'd spend my money on.

Rocky
    An "insider" on another site is claiming that the new LX 470 will have a power fold 3rd row .... but instead of folding flat into the truck, the seats will fold up against the sides like they currently do.

Sounds like a strange design to me.

Give me a current Lexus LX470 with the Navi's interior room and current third row set up and I'd pay WHATEVER they ask for the darned truck.

I still think Lincoln would be smart to offer a "geek" options package including all the goodies we've talked about here.

Any Ford insiders here care to comment if that'll be possible in the near future?
  • ckelly14ckelly14 Posts: 105
    I'm not sure what the "huh?" is for- I was agreeing with everything you said. Perhaps you thought I was saying that Ford did not offer a folding third row seat? Sorry if I was confusing...

I agree with the comment about the LX470 replacement. An updated LX with same goodies that are in the current LS460 would be a dream come true. I guarantee we will be spending a pretty penny for one once it comes out. Hopefully, fall 2007 as a 2008 model.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Ok, sorry, my misunderstanding evidently. Apologies. :blush:
  • From Ford:
    "Overall, truck sales were down 13 percent, but the company's all-new, full-size sport utility vehicles (Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator) posted higher sales. Expedition sales were up 14 percent and Navigator sales were up 65 percent."
    What's the time frame for these figures? November only? Year to date?

65 percent increase in sales?!?!? Either the '05's were selling really S-L-O-W-L-Y or the new model is a big hit -- at least initially. Perhaps a mixture of both?
    I think those numbers were November 05 vs November 06. It's a little of both I think.
  • I like the Escalade because it has these features not found on the Navigator. Heated windshield washer fluid, Heated steering wheel, Voice recognition, of course rear-view camera, better fuel economy, 103 more horsepower, much better fuel economy w/ DOD, intellibeams, Remote start enabling remote start and climate-control system activation, Onstar, 22's rims, to name a few.....It doesn't hurt that I get a GM employee discount that would knock off $7K minus rebates of the sticker.

heated washshield fluid was not a great advantage it didnt work to well. the steering wheel really forget about that feature it does not work at all, there was no heat coming from it at all. as for fuel the navigator gets better gas mielage and longer range on full tank. from experience of owning an 2007 slade now owning a 07 navigator. the intellbeams did not work all that well. when you coming to a big sign at night they will go back to low beam due to the reflect on the sign, the intellbeam needs improvements. the phone on the slade was a good feature but was hard to talk to and hard for the other person to understand conversation due to the exaust tone in the cabin. as for price range the navi is a great deal with more loaded features. also the navi can use regular graded while the escalade uses prem. navi is far better.