Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
Please share your recent Prius purchase price and experience.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• Today I got an Invoice from NJ dealer for $1000 less on MSRP

Plus

Mats
    Taxes
    Reg.
    Title

Tomorrow I will pay the deposit (we see good days etc.,)
  • More News:

Friday I got 2006 Prius for $1500 under MSRP. This is from TOYOTALAND, Springfield, NJ. I paid my deposit. I ordered either of these colors in base+mats. Driftwood Pearl/Silver Pine Mica. Because I put this dealer with competetion with my $1000 dealer. It worked great.

21069 Price (Including Dest+Mats)
    299 Doc Fee
    Plus
    Tax (NJ Tax)
    Title/Reg 242
    7.50 Tire Fee
  • Edmunds lists TMV on Prius as a average of over $31,000 I paid MSRP for a fully loaded Prius in MA at Bernardi Toyota. Now the wait begins.....
  • Kamalapc: Congrats. Sounds like you got a great deal. I'm completely new at this. Could you please go thru the math again, a bit slower? My understanding is that MSRP is 21725, and destination is 580, for 22305 total. I have zero clue how much mats typically cost. You cite saving 1500 under MSRP. 22305 - 1500 = 20805. Your cite price 21069. 21069 - 20805 = 264; was that the cost of the mats?? And now that I think about it more, I guess the package (I'd want either 2, 3 or 4) is a separate issue, right? Thanks.
  • With Tax & license, I will be paying about $26k for a package 3. I have heard that there are mats 'out there' that can be bought for much less than the Toyota asking price. Havent been able to find these less expensive mats, though...
  • Well, I picked up the car, and I am happy. However, the salesman that I worked with didn't know how to operate the car. Otherwise, though, I think it was a good buying experience. This is my first new car, the first one bought from a dealer.

Yeah, there was a little pressure on the sales side regarding extended warranty and other extra stuff that 'I absolutely have to have', but it was simply a matter of saying 'No, thank you'.

Regarding the mats, the dealer threw them in for free. Didnt cost me a dime.
  • In Los Angeles, I've been seeing that many of the dealers are charging up to $5K over invoice for the Prius that they don't even have on their lot. So when I found a dealer that was only charging MSRP for them, I felt like I had won the lottery. So the dealer was able to tell me what they had been allocated and were expecting to receive within the next 4-5 days. They were expecting two...a Silver package #1 and a Silver package #8. Since they had the VIN# listed on their inbound inventory, they were able to write up the sale to hold it from being sold to anyone else. This required NO MONEY out of pocket for me. Two days later it arrived. I paid $29,459 for a package #8 with floor mats/cargo net & first aid kit. Although the car comes with an 8 year/100K mile warranty on the Hybrid systems, I went ahead and purchased the Toyota Platnum Bumper-to-Bumper warranty for an additional $2K. This extends the full warranty to 7 years/100K on everything, not only the Hybrid system. I purchased from Moss Brothers Toyota in Moreno Valley, CA through the fleet dept. I would strongly suggest that if you're in the market for a new car, call the dealership first and ask to speak to someone in the fleet dept. The dealings with the front sales people at most dealerships is very intimidating. The fleet dept is able to give you what you're looking for and without having to waste so much time with the negotiating process. Good luck! :)
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Argh! You got a good price on the car :) but you kind of got taken :cry: on the extended warranty, you should have been able to get it for closer to $1K. But oh well, enjoy you car,
  • mhoranmhoran Posts: 1
    My Black '06 is getting delivered tomorrow. Got package #8 with the full extended warranty for a total of 28.6K (the warranty was only $1075). Went thru a great broker, and they actually bring it to my house. Can't wait !!! :)
  • Are you by any chance located in San Francisco area? Want to share the name of the Broker? It seems that the dealers around here have all agreed on a price just a little over invoice...maybe it covers the "free" mats! I'd love to hear anyone's recent buying experience (i.e. prices) in the Bay area!
  • acm741acm741 Posts: 7
    CarMan could you help with these? I'm in CT. Thanks!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,985
    Ask your Toyota Prius lease questions here!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,985
    Hi, acm741

Ask your Prius lease questions here: Toyota Prius: Lease Questions

Car_man will be sure to see it there.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kawo_leekawo_lee Posts: 1
    Hi Mhoran,

I am also living in Bay Area and thinking about buying a Prius. Do you mean the dealers around here agreed So far all the dealers I talked to are either willing to sell with the MSRP price or some even with the mark up. Which are the dealers or brokers you talked to that are willing to sell with the invoice price.....if that's what you have found.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,363
    He said "invoice" - he meant MSRP. This seems to be a common problem in these pricing discussions.

Nobody in California [or anywhere on the West Coast, for that matter] is selling the Prius at significant discounts. A good deal is MSRP, or if you're really lucky, a bit less. The trick is to keep the dealer extras to a minimum so you can get out the door with just taxes and license added on.
  • acm741acm741 Posts: 7
    CarMan could you help with these? I'm in CT. Thanks!!
  • Right - I meant MSRP. Thanks for the clarification. :blush:
  • Just reading through the posts and I have to add my excitement: we got on the list for a Seaside Pearl, Pkg 1 2006 Prius on Jan 7, 2006. We pick it up tommorrow!! Paying about $23,141 - that's without dealer markup. I also dealt with the internet fleet manager at the dealership - because he was the one to respond to my emails. Much less pressure than a salesman, and he knows the ropes.

Any advice for a first time hybrid owner?
  • ppsamw2ppsamw2 Posts: 1
    Picking up 2k6 pkg 2 silver a/dark gray interior.
    Paying $4016.00 out the door (incl T & T).

Trading in a 2k5 Prius with 8000 miles.

Nothing wrong, I just like the extra bells & whistles on the new one.
    This has side air bags the 2k5 doesn't.

No waiting for delivery, ordered tonight (3/20/06)Car is coming in to dealer (N.E. Phila Pa area) tomorrow.

With the $3000. tax credit (car is 5430 off the mfg line) and $500 cash back from the state of Penna, I break even.

I don't understand why some people say they waited months for their car. Only waited a week for the 2k5.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,899
    Paying $4016.00 out the door (incl T & T).

That is a great price. Even Good to see dealers selling at or near invoice. Makes a practical buy. Sounds like you got a good trade-in.

Welcome to the forum
  • At least here around Philadelphia, Prius supply has caught up with demand (or demand has slackened). Every dealer that I've checked has inventory and having at least a handful of Priuses available for immediate delivery is normal. No more paying over sticker either...a co-worker told me he paid $800 under MSRP for a 2006 Prius pkg 6 two weeks ago and he didn't feel like hard bargaining. Oddly, Edmunds states TMV is $2500 over MSRP for this region of the country!?
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    I'd be happy to help you out, acm741. As one might expect, Toyota is not currently providing any sort of lease support on the Prius in any of the regions that I have seen its program for. As a result, if you were to lease a 2006 Prius through Toyota Financial Services right now you would have to use its standard lease program. The last time that I saw it, TFS' buy rate standard lease money factor was .00265 for consumers who qualify for its Tier 1+ credit tier. Its residual values vary depending upon how long you lease it for and how many miles per year you are able to drive. TFS' 36 month, 15,000 mile per year residual value for this car is currently 55%. Let me know if you want to lease it for a different term or mileage allowance.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • dfrank1dfrank1 Posts: 3
    I was just wondering what Prius' are typically leasing for. I got a quote today that was $590 a month with 0 down, $570 with $1000 down. this is for a new prius with package 7, with an MSRP of $28,221. That quote seems ridiculously high. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
    I avoid leases like the plague, but I have to agree that seems insanely high. Of course, you've left out a lot of details: number of months, residual, lease factor [interest rate], etc.

Look at it another way - what would a zero-down 60 month loan run you, if you could land such an animal? And at the end, you'd own the car...

This car should have extremely strong residuals - that lease sounds like what you'd get for a BMW 5er or a Mercedes E, with MSRPs in the 55k range. For a Prius at $28k, well, insane is the only word that comes to mind...
  • Anyone from Texas,and Oklahoma? That can tell me of a dealer that will take off the msrp of toyota prius?
    well, this is for a 36 month lease. I'm not sure about the residual or interest rate. The guy did seem a little flexible, but only if I were to sign the contract that day (of course). If I could get it down to $500, do you think that's reasonable? I know that's really high for a $28k car, but i'm just wondering if that's typical no matter where you go. I know this car is in high demand, and dealers don't really give you any breaks on it. anyway, thanks...
    I was just wondering what Prius' are typically leasing for. I got a quote today that was $590 a month (for 36 months) with 0 down, $570 with $1000 down. this is for a new prius with package 7, with an MSRP of $28,221. That quote seems ridiculously high. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
  • esteban1esteban1 Posts: 3
    Looking for sub MSRP in Orange County CA. Anyone?
    We love our '06 Prius, but I would never pay the price of a Pkg 7 car. Ours was a Pkg 1 [just the extra airbags], and ran around $23k.

I regard the styling as very European - Citroenesque, to be precise.

The other cars you list were on our list, as well, but I wanted a hatch and the cargo space in the Prius - not to mention the real room for adults in the back seat....all with 45 mpg.

No discounts to be had in most markets - MSRP, less a couple of hundred if you're lucky, is about what it is. At $23k for ours, less the tax credit of $3k, the car has no peers, in my opinion.