Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,719
    "I am about to get a prius. I live in CA. If I get the car before the end of Feb 07. Do you think I still can get the HOV lance sticker ? Do you know when will it last ? I know they issue another 10,000 stickers. Would you share this info ?"

If this is primarily a communter, and if you can deal with CNG, you can get a Honda Civic GX; it qualifies for a silver sticker that is permanent (the hybrid stickers expire in a couple of years), and includes toll bridge access (not sure about toll roads).

And the Civix GX is the "greenest" car this year, according to the most recent list. Plus, it still qualifies for a full tax credit. The "kicker" is: CNG is about $1.99 a gallon!

The only drawback is finding the CNG to power the car. It goes a little over 200 miles on a tank. Refueling stations are around, but you need to research this subject before buying. However, if you want to invest a bit, you could take the tax rebate money and by a "Phill", which goes in your garage and fills up the GX from your home gas lines.

Just a thought...
  • I am looking for a Prius in the Detroit area. Do you know if I can get 0% financing for 2 years here? I have seen advertisements for this financing by California dealers lasting through February.

What type of pricing could you find here? I tried using Costco's Auto Plan and was offered $500 below MSRP, which doesn't seem great based on what I see in this chatroom.
  • jw4jw4 Posts: 1
    Dealers in the NY Tri-State area swore it couldn't be done! ALEXANDRIA TOYOTA did it without too much prodding. New 2007 Prius with package 2 for $21,750 + $279 + $44 = $22,073. I still need to register and pay tax in NY, but I'm already home with my new Prius and temporary plates. The 0.0% financing for 24 months was an added benefit.

Took AMTRAK from NY to Alexandria, VA. Then a quick Metro to Crystal City. Dealership picked me up.

Everything was prepared. No hard sell for extra warranty, etc.

Fun Trip, Great Car and a very honorable salesperson. Too bad he's moving over to another area of the dealership.

The postings on this site saved me a bundle!
  • I have a white 2004 "Car of the Year" Prius with 24,000 miles with the California passenger lane stickers already on. Doesn't do me any good since I am now living in Corpus Christi, TX, but I am thinking of selling it on e-mail. It's in very good condition inside and out and excellent mechanical condition. I have the extended warranty which I believe is transferrable. I bought the car at the Mile of Cars Toyota dealership in San Diego. What do you think I can get for this car on E-Bay? You could write me at mbreecher@gmail.com
  • Yes, the extended warranty is transferable, but the HOV stickers are more problematic because they are not issued to the vehicle but to the registered owner. Check with Cal DMV to see if the stickers transfer to the new owner.
  • jpricejprice Posts: 58
    As a matter of fact, I believe that the stickers *are* issued to the vehicle and are transferable; if you lived in California and sold a car with the stickers, you could not get new stickers for your next Prius, because the supply is gone.

jprice SoCal '05 21586 total miles lifetime MPG 48.6
  • As a matter of fact, you are quite correct. Here is the pertinent paragraph from the Calif DMV Hybrid page:

The 85,000 Clean Air Vehicle Stickers (yellow) that VC §5205.5 allows for hybrid vehicles have been assigned. Original Clean Air Stickers will no longer be issued to hybrids; however, substitute stickers may be issued if the original is damaged.

All Clean Air Stickers remain with the vehicle they were originally issued to and cannot be transferred to any other vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle that has a Clean Air Sticker you may transfer the sticker to your name.
    If you acquire a hybrid vehicle with Clean Air Vehicle Stickers attached, and are a resident of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano or Sonoma County, you must obtain a Bay Area FasTrak account before you drive as a sole occupant in a high-occupancy vehicle (carpool or diamond) lane.

All Clean Air Vehicle stickers will expire January 1, 2011, unless the law authorizing their use is extended beyond that date.

Carpool lane use may be restricted at any time by state and federal law for all Clean Air Vehicles carrying fewer occupants than the posted minimum requirement, if their presence is determined by the California Department of Transportation to contribute to increased traffic congestion, increased travel times, decreased sustained travel speeds, or other factors affecting any carpool lane or segment of that lane.

Clean air vehicles that meet the posted minimum occupancy requirements for carpool lanes are not subject to the above restrictions.
  • Hi vag1. What are this car's MSRP and selling price. These are very important numbers to know because the selling prices of leased vehicles are negotiable, just as if you were paying cash for or financing them. Dealers have been providing some pretty attractive discounts on the Prius lately. If you let me know what these numbers are, I will gladly give you my opinion of this deal.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • No problem carrera993. I haven't seen Toyota's specific lease program for this car in its San Francisco region, but in most other regions Toyota Financial Services' current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Prius with 15,000 miles per year are .00113 and 55%, respectively. Unfortunately, using this data to estimate what the lease payment should be like on the car that you are interested in because unlike most banks Toyota Financial Services' residual values are for "base" vehicles without any options. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized and caps on the values of the ones that it does allow.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Hello Addie. You never mentioned how long you want to lease your Prius for, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. Let me know if you want something different. I'm not sure exactly what region you are in, but if you are in Toyota's Chicago region, its current buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2007 Prius with 15,000 miles per year there are .00055 and 55%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its "Tier 1+" credit tier and pay a security deposit at lease signing. Unfortunately, using this data to estimate what the lease payment should be like on the car that you are interested in because unlike most banks Toyota Financial Services' residual values are for "base" vehicles without any options. It places restrictions upon what options can be residualized and caps on the values of the ones that it does allow.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Hi greenpeace. I think that leasing a Prius instead of buying it is a smart decision. There isn't any long-term reliability data for hybrid vehicles yet. Consumers who buy them may end up spending a lot of money on maintenance for them several years from now. At the very least, they are eventually going to have to replace their batteries which is going to be very expensive. If I was in the market for a Prius, I personally would lease one rather than buy it.

A $1,500 discount is a good selling price for this car. I remember not that long ago when dealers couldn't get enough of them and consumers would jump at the chance to get one for full MSRP. I have seen other community members report getting one for fairly close to dealer invoice, so it wouldn't hurt to shop around a little more. Whether you are able to get a lower price than this will depend upon the level of competition in your area.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • Hey Addi. The interest rates that you mentioned are only for conventional loans, not leases. See my previous response to you for an idea of what this car's lease program is like right now.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid Forum
  • addiaddi Posts: 33
    First of all thanks for all the work you do so we as consumers can get a great deal on our choice of car.
    Enough said.
    YES, I am in the Chicago group. Dealer did say the M.F. was .00055.
    HERE WE GO: Prius Touring Model with package #3
    MSRP - 23,070 INV - 21,171
    PKG#3 2,705 INV - 2,138
    TRANS - 620 620
    TOTAL - 26,395 23,929 $24,929 $1,000 over INV.
    LOOKING FOR $1,000 OVER INVOICE PRICE PER MONTH 24 and 36
  • This is what I have at this time. What do you guys think. I am in VA, but very close to TN and KY

Offer good on 2007 Prius 5-Door Liftback Model 1224 – ECVT transmission, vehicle skid control, backup camera, smart key system,AM/FM/CD changer/MP3 with 6 speakers, carpeted floor mats and cargo mat, rear bumper appliqué, and more! $259/Mo. – 36 Month Lease. $1,999 due at lease signing. Includes $1,190 Customer Down Payment + First Month’s Payment/$259 + Acquisition Fee/$550. $300 security deposit waived to qualified buyers subject to approved credit through Toyota Financial Services. Good on Tier I PLUS only. 36-month payments total $9,324 – excludes state and local taxes, tags, registration and title, insurance, and dealer charges. Lease Factor .00024. Closed-End Lease. Lease-end purchase option $12,990. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for the 2007 Prius 5-Door Liftback Model 1224 is $24,234. Includes destination charge, but excludes state and local taxes, tags, registration and title, insurance, and dealer charges. Adjusted Capitalized Cost is $22,011 based on dealer participation. Other options and dealer charges extra. Lessee may be charged for excessive wear based on Toyota Financial Services/Toyota Lease Trust (TLT MI & OH) standards for normal use and for mileage in excess of 36,000 miles at the rate of $0.15 per mile (low mileage lease). Your payment may vary depending on final price. Tax credit limited to new purchases only. Used vehicles sales and leased vehicles are not eligible to claim tax credit. Amount of tax credit is subject to IRS regulations in effect at the time of purchase and change subject to changes in applicable Federal Tax Laws. Delivery must be taken from new 2007 dealer stock by 2/28/07 and is subject to availability. Available to qualified customers through Toyota Financial Services. Effective 02/01/02 Ohio requires sales tax to be collected at lease inception. Individual dealer prices may vary. See participating dealers for details.
  • Hello there. I have been offered a 2007 Prius Pkg #2 in CA for $24,100 out the door. I guess there is a glut of Priuses at the moment.
    Is this a good deal? Do you think I should negotiate the price even lower?
    Thank you for your input.
  • What was the price before taxes and fees? And which dealership is this at? $24.1K sounds like a good deal to me.
  • It's about $22,100 with destination included. About $100 above invoice according to Edmunds. Dealership--Longo Toyota
  • Hello All -

I've recently started reading all of these great posts since I began researching the 2007 Prius Touring Edition.

I live in PA and want a 2007 Prius Touring in Package #6. My color preferences are Magnetic Gray or Classic Silver. Unfortunately, I've confirmed through several local dealers that there are simply no such models/combo packages available anywhere in the Central Atlantic district (5 states of PA, MD, VA, W. VA & DE). However, this model/combo is currently available at several Mid-West toyo dealers (in IL, IN & WI).

I'm in current serious discussions with Grossinger Toyota North in the Chicago area. They've told me that the invoice on this specific model ('07 touring, package #6, magnetic gray) is $27, 186. They're offering me the car for $27,400. I've asked them to throw in a cargo net and some all-weather prius floor mats. They're willing to split the all-weather mats ($98 dealer cost divided by 2).

So, we're looking at $27,400 plus $49 (all-weather mats) + $58 doc. prep fees + $10 "drive-away" fee for temp tags =
    $27,517. I will need to pay the PA sales tax (6%) and registration fees back home.

I've done extensive on-line research. I would love to get this car either at invoive or below invoice, but I just don't see it happening (although demand may be off now, it's still a new '07, touring edition is hard to find, etc).

So, can anyone from the ChicagoLand area tell me if this is a "fair and reasonable" price ??? Or, can anyone generally tell me if I can do better on this specific model & trim line?? Do you think there is anything else that I'm either leaving on the table or that I can get the dealer to throw-in ??? FYI ... I'm not interested in purchasing the extended wty right now. I can do that within the next 3 yrs / 36K miles.

Your thoughts and suggestions are extremely appreciated :)

Josh
  • I found out both the invoice price and the extended warranty price are varied in dealerships, but if you do your research and shop, you can do very well: invoice or below invoice, 7yr/100,000 ml Platinum extended warranty quoted $1,090 or lower....

Earlier posting praised City Toyota in Daly City has a great internet manager, I must say he is very responsive and give the best price! Broadway downtown toyota's internet manager is very good too....

Hope this info helps!
  • Edmunds shows an invoice price of 26600 but they do not include the advertising that is added to the factory invoice, so the invoice they are representing is correct except that it includes the dealer hold back which they get back. So that at their asking price they are in addition to their markup from invoice getting an additional $500 or so in dealer holdback, so their total markup over true dealer cost to you is in the whereabouts of 800 - 900 dollars. That said, for a car equipped exactly as you want it and which you will undoubtedly use for a number of years, I would go for it. You only live once. BTW, the TMV for the Prius shown on the Edmunds site is totally out of date. Talk to them about the holdback they receive and push them into absorbing the cost of the extras rather than splitting them. Remember, if you itemize your Fed return, you have up to a $1575 credit if you aren't snared by the AMT. Also, congratulations on doing your homework.