Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• 10538h10538h Posts: 2
    Is this a terrible idea? I love the Prius but don't know if I can spring enough to afford financing and purchasing. I have learned a lot so far but am still rather inexperienced in regards to buying/leasing in general.

Is this not the best car to lease?

Thank you
  • Hi,
    I think there is a reason that dealers always want you to lease.
    Carl
  • wooha2000wooha2000 Posts: 54
    Firstly - OFF TOPIC but related to new car purchase.

Does anyone know if you can still get alarm (RS3200) activated via following instructions below... supposed the Alarm system comes equiped in all of the PRIUS but is not activated. There are a couple of Toyota PDF available but I can't seem to get them. If someone has them can they PM me and forward me a .PDF copy.

My dealer that I am buying the my 07 Touring Prius will activate my alarm for free, I am wanting to validate the instructions.

They are absolutely wrong from a technical perspective. A poster, Kyle, who is a TOYOTA MASTER TECH has done it. Now from an ethical perspective, they could refuse, but they should state that they refuse due to ethical reasons and not hide behind false technical reasons. Doing that makes them look ignorant and incompetent to be techs.
    What do they call the TVIP V5 RS3200, chicken liver? It is part # 08586-47840 as opposed to part # 08586-47840 on the GBS install. Hey! Notice they are the same part number? Fancy that! the former was taken from w141rs32.pdf, the latter from w141gbs.pdf, both obtained from TechInfo.
    QUOTE"
    Have them humor you and follow the following steps. These steps assume GBS has NOT been installed yet. I have bolded the parts that actually enable the alarm, skipping through the dull details.
    If the GBS has been installed, then again, a yellow wire has to be removed. The installation instructions mis-labels the connector to the body ECU. I believe the correct connector number is 1K rather than 16P shown in the instructions

H. Security Setting Procedure.
    NOTE: Check for the latest version of the
    software on Toyota Information System (TIS)
    before setting up the security system.
    NOTE: Ensure the software is the latest version
    (Production Version 10.2a. (07/18/03) or later.)
    NOTE: Download the latest software from
    Toyota Information System (TIS).
    1. Connect the scan tool connector to the
    vehicle's diagnostic connector in the lower
    dash area. (Fig. H-1)
    2. Insert the remote key or smart key (as
    appropriate) into the key slot. Press the power
    button once to select "ACC" position.
    i. Verify the shift position is in "N" position
    and LED on "P" switch is illuminated.
    3. Push the scan tool main switch "ON" and then
    press the ENTER key. (Fig. H-2)
    "SELECT VEHICLE PROCESS
    4. Select the correct vehicle application, Prius
    MY2004 .
    "SECURITY FUNCTION ON" PROCESS
    5. Verify the connection of the DLC3 Cable.
    Press the "YES" button to continue. (Fig. H-3)
    6. Select "OPTION SETUP" in the customize
    menu with the scroll key, then press the
    "ENTER" key. (Fig. H-4)
    7. Press the "ENTER" key to select "DOP
    SECURITY" in the Option Setup menu.
    (Fig. H-5)
    8. Select "ON" with the scroll key, then press the
    "ENTER" key. (Fig. H-6)
    9. Press the "YES" key. (Fig. H-7)
    10. Press the "ENTER" key. (Fig. H-8)
    END QUOTE"
  • johnsondjohnsond Posts: 1
    When you negotiate a price with the dealer, should the factory rebates they are currently offering on certain packages be included in the price or since this is a factory rebate, should you expect to get this in addition to the dealer price?
  • Hi,
    They're included in your deal.
    You should VERIFY with the dealer.
    Carl
  • his name is danny zendejas he his the head honcho of the fleet dept. Do not deal with anybody there but him..... also metion my name for your deal.. my names ocean whats yours?
  • FYI, the forum moderator has no problem with us discussing a particular dealership but has requested that we not include the names of individuals involved with any sales organization.
  • treagantreagan Posts: 6
    Looking for a pkg.2 Prius in so cal., and yesterday got a $21600 +T/L quote online. Is this beatable or be happy and jump on it. Thanks.
  • gary41gary41 Posts: 6
    I am looking for a Pk#2 in SoCal also - just got a quote from the Internet dept at Toyota of Anaheim - $21,440. I'm going to jump on that. All the others in the area I contacted were higher.
  • yousofaryousofar Posts: 8
    Does anybody here know any good deal on 07 prius in Northwest Indiana or Chicago area?I am looking for a 07 prius with pg#2, the lowest price I can get is around 22300, plus tax, document and title,etc.
    Another concern:is Prius good for family use? my wife, and the future kid would be my main passegers. There are many snows in Midwest,so I am not sure if Prius gets good performance in icy road.
  • Hi,
    Both of you (So Cal #2) have great deals. We paid 22K at end of Feb for 2 pkg #2 cars.
    Gasoline has gone up steadily since.
    Have fun,
    Carl
    PS JAKESTER-- did you get a car ?
  • sorry but ive been ripped off by dealers all my life now thanks to this site they made VERY thin profit on the car...i hoped that i helped out jake whatever his name is..
  • pgittispgittis Posts: 1
    got a quote from Miller Toyota of Anaheim too - $21500 + t/l for pkg. 2. they also quoted me $23500 for package 5. talk to allan in internet fleet.
  • dc94587dc94587 Posts: 9
    23500 for a pkg5 is good. I bought one at 236xx2 wks ago. justmake sure they don't bite you elsewhere like a ripoff trade-in, $1900 extended warranty, gap insurance, paint protection, etc..pkg5 comes with floor/trunk mats, make sure they don`t take them away while doing the washup. give them an address where the sales tax is less could save you another $50.
  • philyowphilyow Posts: 1
    I picked up a package 2 from Longo last week. I paid around $21,222, or $400 off the invoice. The OTD price was approximately $23,600. I also received the same quote from Crown Toyota in Ontario. The people at Crown seemed nicer and I wanted to buy from them, but, Longo was more convenient.
  • maddmikemaddmike Posts: 12
    You made the right choice. Crown is the worst. The sales department is all sweet but the service department flat out sucks!
  • Hi,
    Has anyone purchase a 2007 Prius in Western Washington recently? I am interested in Package 3 but unsure what a reasonable price would be. Any input in dealership experience would also be much appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • jjewelljjewell Posts: 1
    Hi, I am a new member, and have enjoyed reading this discussion "Prices Paid" etc. I would like to especially refer to the message by bugchucker on April 5.- re "buying only on the Internet" Does that refer to only buying NEW cars on the Internet/and via a dealership? How about buying on the Internet via online sales, auctions, etc. as well as buying on Internet for used cars? Has that been successful, useful, or problematic for members of this discussion group? thanks. jjewell
  • I am looking to lease a Prius. Last month (March) I went to a few dealerships and Toyota was offering a very good lease deal - for the first time the car was (for me at least) affordable. I then went about selling my car so I could lease a Prius. This month I went back to follow-up and the dealers all told me that gas prices had gone back up and that the company no longer had to offer the incentive deal they were offering because the cars are in (great) demand again. Now this strikes me as being incredibly cynical - they finally make the car affordable for some people, and then as soon as gas prices go up they pull it. Shouldn't this be the time that they want to put as many people as possible into a Prius. I have waited years to get this car and now it's not possible. I have spoken a number of times with a seemingly sympatehtic customer service representative at Toyota headquarters in California, who expressed great surprise and regret that the situation would be presented to me the way it has by the dealers, but it seems like there is little he can do. Do others feel the same way about this - the lease deals I am reading on this site are outrageous in my opinion.
  • ocuihsocuihs Posts: 138
    this evening, spoke to the dealership's internet department, stated AAA prices at 3% above invoice. This dealership's internet department prices at 2% above inovice.

the dealership's internet prices for 2007 Prius BASE model with package option # 5 (NL) - $25053 + tax + tags + $96 doc fees. We don't think it's a good deal after reading this board messages. Also with Tier I+ credit rating, rates near 7.9% for 60 months from Toyota Financial Services!?

Also with package # 5 with BASE model, per Toyota.com, the discount is at $2,000. The internet rep stated, the MSRP/invoices have been "adjusted" accordingly.

We were thinking with BASE model + package # 5 should be around $23,500 before taxes/tags/doc fees.

Please give us your opinions/feedbacks.
  • Is it possible that Toyota offered the special Prius lease offer that expired at the end of March to help boost their quarterly results. If you look at yesterday's announcement, Toyota overtook GM to be the number one car seller in the US?
  • ocuihsocuihs Posts: 138
    The dealership sent an "Vehicle Inquiry Report" and I cut/paste partial email (related to prices) below. Besides 2% dealer invoice and Dealer Holdback, What are TDA and Whsl. Financial Reserve? Do you pay this based on regions? I thought floor mats are included in pkg #5.

Again, this is for 2007 Prius BASE with pkg. #5 (NL).

Vehicle Base Model : $ 22175.00 (MSRP) $ 19755.00 (Invoice)
    Total Accessories $ 3479.00 (MSRP) $ 3078.00 (Invoice)

MECHANICAL & PERFORMANCEHybrid Synergy Drive System1.5L 4Cyl DOHC 16 Valve w/VVT-i EngineElctrnic Cntinusly Variable Trans (ECVT)Electronic Power Steering SystemMacPherson Strut Front SuspensionTorsion Beam Rear Suspension15" Alloy Wheels w/P185/65R15 TiresFront Disc (14") and Rear Drum BrakesSAFETYDr & Fr Pass Advanced Front Airbag (SRS)Dr & Fr Pass Side & Curtain AirbagsTraction Control (TRAC)ABS w/Elec Brake Force Dist & Brk Assist3 Point Seatbelts w/ALR/ELR Pass BeltsSide-Impact Door BeamsRr-Seat Child Restraint Sys (CRS) LowerAnchors and Top Tether Brackets (LATCH)Direct Tire Pressure Monitoring SystemEXTERIORMulti-Reflectr Halogn Auto-Off HeadlampsDual Clr-Keyd Pwr Heated Outside MirrorsChrome-Type Finish on Front GrilleRear SpoilerCOMFORT AND CONVENIENCEAuto Climate Control w/Air FiltrationAM/FM CD with 6 SpeakersPush Button StartRemote Keyless Entry, Engine ImmobilizerCruise ControlLiquid-Crystal Multi-Info Display Panelw/Energy Monitor, Fuel Consumption,Climate Control, O/S Temp & Audio StatusTilt Steer Wheel w/Climate & Audio Cntrl60/40 Split Fold-Flat Rear SeatVariable Frnt & Intermittent Rr WipersHeavy-Duty Rr Window Defogger w/TimerPwr Door Locks & Wndws w/Dr Auto Up/DownCntr Console & Dual-Compartmnt Glove Box2 Auxiliary 12V Power OutletsCargo Tonneau Cover & Undr-Floor StorageOverhead Console with Map LightsFabric Cloth Seats

Retail (MSRP)--- Dealer
    $ 22175.00 --- $ 19755.00
    $ 3280.00 --- $ 2952.00 (package #5 NL)

50 State Emissions ......Package #5 Includes: Voice-Activated DVD ... GPS Navigation System; JBL AM/FM 6-Disc CD .Changer with 9 Speakers, Aux Audio Input ...Miniplug, MP3/WMA Playback Capability, .....Satellite Radio Capability, and Hands-Free .Phone Capability via Bluetooth; Vehicle ....Stability Control; Backup Camera; Smart ....Key System; Anti-Theft System; .............Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror with ..........HomeLink; High Intensity Discharge (HID) ...Headlamps; Integrated Fog Lamps ............

Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat
    199.00 (MSRP) 126.00 (Invoice)

Total Accessories : $ 3479.00 (MSRP) $ 3078.00 (Invoice)
    Destination Charge : $ 620.00
    TDA : $435
    Gasoline : $10.00
    Dealer Holdback : $ 443.00
    Whsl. Financial Reserve : $221.00
    Total : $ 24562.00 (invoice)

Again, I don't see the discount of package #5 NL for $2,000 Bonus Discounts/Savings per Toyota.com > Prius section > mouse over "Savings Bonuses" tab to see all package discount savings.

Thanks!
  • dc94587dc94587 Posts: 9
    Looks like a rip off.
    After waiting 3 years, I just picked up my new Prius today - 52mpg driving home from the dealer doing 70 with the A/C. Bought from Toyota of San Juan Capistrano in South Orange County - dealt directly with the Internet/fleet department - package 2, floor mats, $20,998 + fees - unbelievably friendly staff. Did the deal over the phone, only spent 5 minutes on the paperwork. Also, free oil changes and tires for life. Couldn't be happier.
  • To: gary41
    I am thinking about buying exactly the same Prius (with pkg #2 and floor mats). Except the internet department in Dallas is asking much more than your price. You wrote, "I paid $20,998 + fees." Could you tell me what the fees were for? Just tax, tag and license?
  • anchovyanchovy Posts: 3
    Hi CarMan, thanks for all the info you provide. I don't know how you find the time...

I went to Hollywood Toyota to get a package 6 regular Prius. I have Tier 1+ credit etc etc etc. I was hoping that with 0 down I would aim for $450 pm for a 36M lease with 15K miles.

They offered me $488 + tax. So, says I, based on their price of $25,300 (nice I had thought), I'd be coughing up over $19,000 for 3 years? They had said the residual would be $13,400 but Toyota was no longer offering .00133 MF, and rather I would only get .00245 (5.9%)

When I said that the numbers didn't seem to add up, I was told that "Hybrid's have very low residuals", "Toyota doesn't offer the .00133 MF in favor of a blanket $2,000 off MSRP" and "have some coffee."

This sounded phenomenally high to me, but they didn't have any interest in negotiating (did my sheafs of townhall-talk make them not want to do business?). My last lease was an Audi A6 that I paid about this much for.

Confused in Cali aka Am I Just An Unrealistic Fool? aka can I not afford to save the planet?
    Right - they always stick it to you in California. The price I paid for a package #2 + floor mats was $20,988, plus $55 doc fee, $1631 sales tax, and $189 license, for an OTD price of $22,882. The going prices for pkg#2 around here is generally about $21,500. You may be able to get a better deal on Monday since it is the last day of the month and they had a very weak April sales month because the APR promo and higher tax credit that ended in March.
  • bmwmamabmwmama Posts: 3
    Got a package 6 for $25,5515. I added back window tinting and extended warranty. I love this car!! Use the Internet department.
  • I found that there is $500 incentives going on for Prius in April according to Edmunds.com. I know that Toyota reduced the price for package #2 to 6 as incentives but I would like to find out if this $500 incentives is on top of the current deal from Toyota. I found in the consumer reports that they are offering this deal in CA. I live in Dallas and I know that one of the dealerships in town was mentioning about $500 incentives on their website early this month but now it's gone. I don't see it any more. I am planning to buy Prius by the end of April if I could find the right one so I'd like to find out.

Please let me know if any of you know anything about this.
  • I've been working with four dealers in the Washington DC metro area (all but one in the outlying suburbs) all week on pricing for a driftwood pearl Prius with package 4. Trade in was a ratty looking 1996 T-bird pushing 100,000 miles. It ran okay, but the interior was worn and the body had dents, dings, and scratches all around as befits a car that has spent its whole life in and around the city. The first three dealers all offered a flat $500 for the T-bird, so I figured that was a pretty good indication of its worth. Through Thursday afternoon, the best deal on the Prius with package 4 and carpet and mat package was $23,500 plus my T-bird at $500 for $24,000 plus TTL. Tried a fourth dealer Thursday night online and offered $23,000 plus my car. They bit and I picked it up this afternoon. No hassle at the dealership. The price was $23K on the nose and they also allowed $500 for my car. Edmunds TMV today for this region is $24,180, and I bought the car for $23,500. For whatever it's worth, the dealership showed me the invoice, which was around $24,300.

The finance guy did not try to sell me the extended warranties. He just presented the prices, offered to negotiate down, and showed me where to sign to decline. Not even one offer of any aftermarket stuff, not that I would have bought any of it anyway. He didn't even push financing once I said I would pay cash. I tried to pay with a credit card to get the card rebates, but the finance guy said Toyota limits them to $3K on credit cards. I charged the $3K and will at least get back sixty bucks.

The final price included only $10 to transfer the tags. The finance guy noticed my tags were expiring in three days and offered to renew them since the dealership was a motor vehicle agent. He renewed them for two years at $128 without adding anything to the bottom line. Another $128 I didn't have to pay.

I was in the dealership just over two hours, saw three Prius cars get delivered (including mine) as well as three other Toyotas. Great buying experience.
This discussion has been closed.