Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Knowing I have an '04 Prius that looks just like all the newer ones makes me feel good about taking the plunge when I bought mine back in November of '03 for a pitence of $21,426.00 out the door. I still remember dealing with biting my lower lip when it came to paying straight "list." Now it seems to have proven itself a real bargain. I love the car, the color (blue), and the reliability while getting 45-53 mpg's.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,894
    You know I always wished you well with your Prius. I'm glad you still like it. Have a good summer. You going to take any long trips in the Prius?
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    Help me out guys, which do i buy..the prius or civic hybrid?
    ive read the problems about the civic transmission...and readout on the prius...?/..id enjoy feedback to help with my decision... seat comfort..quietness...etc...quietness is a big thing for me..i do so much driving i enjoy a serene environment..thx for the help

caaz
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,906
    Honda Civic Hybrid vs Toyota Prius

Have at it!

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks for the friendly words of goodwill. Same to ya Gary. As to our travels ...We cover several medium trips to southern Indiana and are heading out to Atlanta next month to visit kids. The Prius now has about 63 K and general maintenance has proven par for a hybrid. My only complaint is the need to maintain wheel balance & alignment to keep tires as they should be. I had a vibration that was annoying and proved to be troublesome till finally corrected. I'm anxious to see and investigate the '08 or '09 Prius thats in the works. Our favorite mode of transportation is a cruise ship (not very fuel thrifty). Gotta love the pampered life the cruise companys lavish on their clientel. Retirement is so enjoyable (10 yrs). Yah, We're spoiled. I look back on my yrs on the railroad and miss the many good times. Enough of my meloncholy rememberances.
    I'm loving retirement also. Should have bailed a couple years earlier. Cruise ships are probably the best vacation bang for the buck. I don't think you will see any changes on the Prius until 2010 at least. They are selling well as they are. No reason to dump a winning horse.
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    my dad got his automobile news magazine the other day....read me an article out of it....it said thier will no longer be a PRIUS..so dont be looking for a new one...Apparently, Toyota will build a 3rd hybrid...smaller than the prius...drop the camry name off that hybrid...and call the hybrids A B & C.....something to that nature....
  • pjo1966pjo1966 Posts: 120
    I had heard that as well, and I'm still scratching my head over it.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Even if that plan is true, they said there would be a new vehicle around the size of the Prius, plus one larger and one smaller car.
    People who are interested in a replacement Prius can just choose the middle sized car unless they want to upsize or downsize.
    It is more choices and no more afterthought hybrids with battery taking up most of the trunk space.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,837
    A reporter would like to speak to current or past Honda hybrid owners that now own a Toyota Prius or will be switching to one in the future. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than July 16, 2007 with your daytime contact information.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I am debating on whether I should purchase a 2007 Prius now or wait for the 2008.

Does anyone know how it generally works with "pre-ordering" an automobile (since they don't come out until August/September)?

Do we know if the exterior colors are changing at all?
  • sendsleysendsley Posts: 2
    Hi -
    Looks like a solid deal. Do you have contact info (email) for your salesman? And is the $332 with tax (as in that's what you right the check for every month?) or do you actually pay $350 something monthly?

Did you discuss 12k per year by chance??

Thanks so much!

Scott
  • jhs70jhs70 Posts: 213
    In the market for a new Toyota? BEWARE of Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland. Recently I had a horrendous experience there. The long and the short of it is that they jerked me around on my trade-in by outright lying about its condition. And it wasn’t a “minor” lie that they tried to propagate. All of this was done to lowball my trade, I am sure. Why they couldn’t come out and tell me they would only offer X for it, and leave it at that, I don’t know. No, they took it one step further and manufactured a lie, a lie which took me the better part of a day to resolve, and in the process greatly upsetting my wife and I.
    These people are scum for doing that. I just wanted you to know.
    Avoid Jim Coleman Toyota of Bethesda, Maryland.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Posts: 125
    Hey, lighten up a little. These people aren't under oath. Sure, they are trying to hustle you for some extra profit margin, but who isn't? Ever go into Best Buy or Circuit City and have the sales person try to sell you an extended warranty for $20 for a product you purchased for twenty bucks? It sure isn't worth getting upset about. It's just a car. Tell 'em to kiss off and find another dealer.
    You should put down a detailed account of your experience on this link. That will build a data base for others to check out dealers and their operations. The more information we have, the better to avoid unscrupulous businesses.

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html
    I'm a pretty mellow fellow actually, and I am well schooled in dealer tricks, but this was a new twist. And very low down -- I've never seen a dealership stoop that low. Totally uncalled for. Normally I just brush their crap off, but this got to the core of when we bought this car, and the fact that we were sold "damaged" goods on a $35k vehicle, well sir, I beg to disagree -- I had every right to be a bit upset.

I've moved on. They still suck.
    Unless I missed a relevant post, you are raising a new issue here regarding some deception surrounding the condition of the vehicle you purchased. That indeed is something to get upset about. I hope it was ultimately resolved to your satisfaction. Agencies like these think they can operate like this with impunity, but they're not aware that the information age is upon us and news like this travels fast. Did you ever address this with the owner?
    There are a lot of righteous dealerships out there. Sorry you got stuck with the exception.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    Go to our new Dealer Rater to post your sales or service review!

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

I know this isn't quite the place for this, and I hope the moderator doesn't delete this (..please?!). This will be my last say on the matter:

You hit the deal on the head with "you are raising a new issue here regarding some deception surrounding the condition of the vehicle you purchased. That indeed is something to get upset about." That is exactly what they did. That is why this isn't just another "cheap trick" in their arsenal. It rises to a new level of lowness (hmm, does that make sense..?). :mad:

I sent bitter emails to key staff there once I satisfactorily sniffed out their deception/fraud. I got what I would call "non-answers". And no, I will not pursue this with them any more. I have no interested in giving them a chance to explain themselves (not that they could). I'm doing what I can to spread the word about this place though. :lemon: That's the only real weapon I have in this battle.

Funny thing is, if it were just about any of the other dealer tricks we've all endured, I would have laughed and moved on. No harm, no foul. That just wasn't the case here. :mad:
  • Hi!

I'm ready to dump my gas-guzzling, leased Mercedes for a Prius. My last two cars were leased and I’ve become accustomed to being able to get a new car every 3 to 4 years without the hassle of repairs, depreciation of car value etc.

The car dealer faxed me the rate sheet and next week I go in to negotiate. I need to decide whether leasing a Prius is a good idea or not. (Hi CarMan! I read an earlier post where you cited concern over owning the Prius since it is relatively new in the marketplace – namely the potential high cost of replacing the battery.)

1st question: Is this a good deal? And where is there room to negotiate?
    Base Model - $22,175
    Package #6 - $4550
    Rear Bumper Applique (?) $65
    Wheel Locks (alloy) $65
    Preferred Acess Pkg. - $277
    Destination Charge - $620

Total $27,752

I live in Connecticut (06807) and there is no tax on the car.

2nd Question: All the dealers insist that buying is the way to go because Toyota isn’t offering a great lease deal. What are your thoughts?

Thanks a million!
    :) :confuse:
  • sendsleysendsley Posts: 2
    With the 2008 Model the EPA estimate on all cars is going down to realistic numbers, for Prius it will go from 60/51 to 48/45 so that will hurt them. Gas prices traditionally drop as summer goes down and the tax credit ends all together on Prius, Oct 1 I believe. I believe Toyota will be offering incentives very soon on Prius'

Best money factor on a lease I saw in my research was .0011 back in March, best I got offered in the past week was .0025

Right now, buying is better than leasing but it may not be long until that changes. Just my speculation based on some solid facts, I have no inside info.

Scott
  • Thanks so much Scott! Any insight on the price they are offering for the car and what is realistically negotiable?
    Thanks!
    :)
  • Oops I suppose it helps to tell youwhat they are offering for the 2007 Prius

1st question: Is this a good deal? And where is there room to negotiate?
    Base Model - $22,175
    Package #6 - $4550
    Wheel Locks (alloy) $65

Total $27,752

Thanks!
  • Hi!

I'm ready to dump my gas-guzzling, leased Mercedes for a Prius. The car dealer faxed me the rate sheet and next week I go in to negotiate.

Is this a good deal? And where is there room to negotiate?
    Base Model - $22,175
    Package #6 - $4550
    Wheel Locks (alloy) $65

Total $27,752

I live in Connecticut and there is no tax charges on the car.

Thanks in advance! :)
    I wouldn't even bother going in there. Their quote is an insult. It's over MSRP for starters. The Preferred Access package is a bogus dealer charge. It is not an OEM option. The wheel locks and applique you can't do much about. The cars come with it to the dealer. It's done at the port of entry. It's a scam because you can't refuse the "option" but it doesn't amount to much so it isn't worth arguing about. Some dealers in the country are selling this vehicle at Invoice. Don't be afraid to drive a reasonable distance to get the price you want to pay. No way do you want to pay more than $500 over invoice. Two things I suggest you consider at this point:

1. It's August. In less than 3 months, the 2008 models will be on the dealer floor. At 9 months into the production year, a 2007 model has depreciated even before you take it off the floor. Consider delaying your purchase accordingy.

2. Consider Package 5 as a more effective package. All Package 6 adds are leather seats for which they nail you for over $1300. Leather seats in a Mercy B might be nice, but I've never heard anybody rave about the leather seats in the Prius and for that matter only part of the seat is leather anyway. If you have to have leather, talk with an auto upholsterer who may be able to offer you a higher quality cover at a better price. $1300? IMO, it isn't worth it. Consider: $1300 will buy enough fuel to run this car for well over $22,000 miles!

If you want to make some useful comparisons, have a look at the Prius offerings at Fitzgerald Auto (www.fitzmall.com). I've found their listings useful for getting a feel of what is happening in the market.

They don't charge sales taxes when you register a vehicle in Connecticut? That's unusual. I know there are states that have no sales tax at all but I didn't know Connecticut was one of them.

Good hunting. Remember, you have the checkbook - you're in control.
  • Cruising-

You are a saint! Thanks for all the information...It will be put to good use and save me quite a bit of money. CT is currently not charging sales tax on hybrid cars...I'm not certian if all hybrids are part of the deal but the Prius falls into this category. It makes it that much more appealing. I'll shop around until I find what I want at a fair price.

All the best to you! :)
  • prusaprusa Posts: 43
    cruising,
    You are my Angel! I rather wait for the 2008 than paying for a 2007 the ridiculous price of 29,756 (as this dealer wanted me to pay last Sat). I left the place without even saying good buy. Are you advising for a 2008 instead of a 2007? If that is the case, this is what I have been waiting for. Thanks for all the information. By the way, the dealer told me that the 2008 will be available in Sept.
    PRUSA
    There are two approaches to this. You can wait for next year's model and avoid an immediate 3,000 depreciation on the 2007 the day the 2008 hits the floor or you can use this math as leverage for lowering their asking price for the 2007 models still in inventory. Since we're talking about a couple of months as the most, I'd opt for waiting for the 2008 model to hit the streets.

You also have to consider some things that are not all that intuitive. For example, yes, Connecticut doesn't levy a sales tax on hybrid vehicles but what may happen is that the dealers in CT accordingly raise their out the door price that partially, if not completely offsets the tax savings. A way of beating that is to purchase the car in an adjacent or nearby state that permits you to purchase the car without paying sales tax if you provide the necessary documentation that it is being taken out of state. Alternatively, you could have an adjacent state physically deliver the car into CT which makes that issue moot. Motivated dealers will do this, often without additional cost.

If you do wait for the 2008, remember that the contents of the respective packages offered will vary from year to year so be sure you choose the package that includes the amenities you want. Again, I would reconsider the cost effectiveness of opting for the leather seats. Take a look at a current year model with those seats to see if they really make a difference to you. This is after all a practical moderate priced vehicle, it ain't a Mercedes. And particularly if you have children that will inhabit the Prius, I strongly recommend opting for the standard seat covers and putting on some waterproof seat covers made by GT covers. They're an excellent fit, washable, and they preclude the nightmare of dealing with cat pee, wine stains, dog poop and the mess that typically follows kids
    around. When you eventually sell or trade the car, you can peel them off and interior essentially still looks new.

There isn't a gun with a barrel big enough to make me deal with a floor salesman for any vehicle in this day and age. I'd stick with the internet division of the dealership -most every one of them has this department. Amusingly, the internet department and the floor sales department are almost like two independent companies within the same dealership and there is no love lost between them.

Stick with one individual in the internet department and make it clear that you want them to provide you with the dealer invoice for the car you are considering because you want your negotiating to involve invoice-plus rather than MSRP-minus.

An annoyance everyone has to suffer no matter where they buy is being pushed through the dealer finance office, even if it's an all cash transaction. You will get a pitch to purchase a 7 year extended warranty for as much as $2000. Don't get sucked into this. An extended warranty is a discrete commodity which can be purchased from any Toyota within the basic three year warrantee period and some dealers specialize in selling just the warranties, some for less than $1000. The pros and cons of the extended warranty itself is another subject to get into once you purchase the car. It MUST be a Toyota warranty. I'd avoid 3rd party warranties like the plague. And ironically, it isn't a 7 year policy, it's actually a four year policy because it piggybacks onto the basic three year bumper to bumper warranty.

Another thing, the most generous warranty on Prius hybrids is offered by what is called CARB compliant (California Air Resources Board) states. These states are California, Connecticut, Maine, Massacussets, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhose Island and Vermont. If you ultimately determine that your most cost effective route is an out of state purchase, be sure that it is one of the states listed above because the warranty you will get for both the hybrid battery and the entire emission control system is substantially better than the same warranty Toyota provides for the non-CARB states.

Finally, I don't know if CT permits solo drivers of qualifying hybrid vehicles to travel in the HOV lanes. If this privilege is available, before you buy out of state, (if you buy out of state) determine whether a vehicle purchased out of state and registered in CT will qualify for this perk.

You're wise to surf through the Edmunds forum for tips on how to best position yourself for buying a vehicle. I encourage you to look back through previous months on this subject. This forum has saved prudent buyers millions of dollars. Armed with solid information, you'll be able to make it happen, rather than watching it happen, or even worse, someday wondering "What happened?"

Good luck and remember, you have the hammer!
  • jjlawyerjjlawyer Posts: 9
    Check out priuschat.com for pricing. I think people are able to get package 6 touring for about $26300, maybe $26000 for package 6 non-touring. That price is not that good.
  • I'm looking for a pkg 2 in San Diego/LA and I'm not seeing the 19,900 - 20,500 prices mentioned a couple of months ago. Anywhere else that might offer this price range? Costco?