Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I just received a quote of 26200 for a package #5 Prius.

Total out the door was over 28k, along with a rediculous 6.9% financing for 60 months. When I asked if it would be a lower rate at 36 months, the salesman replied with "not really". Down the road at the Ford dealership there are signs everywhere for 0%--like we're idiots I guess.

The salesman also said he wouldn't budge much below full MSRP. I'm definitely going over to the Honda dealership later this week, where it'll hopefully be more reasonable.

This is in Michigan.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    Cars that don't sell well need incentives. Hence, Ford, GM, and Chrysler have 0% and other ones. Cars that "fly off the lots", such as the Prius, do not see incentives. At least not very often. This spring, in Canada, Toyota had a 3.9% financing plan (which I took advantage of). I see it's still offered here.
  • I agree that Toyota does not need to offer 0%, but they do need to offer a fair rate. You can get a used car at 6.9%. Even third parties such as CapitalOne can offer 5.9% for a new car. 3.9% would be fine with me.
  • cruising7388cruising7388 Posts: 125
    Yes, but the Prius is not exactly flying off dealer lots. The situation has changed significantly since 2006 and you will find them in abundance on any dealer lot these days.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    They are not "flying off the lots" because Toyota finally ramped up the supply to normal levels.

Back when they were "flying off the lots" it was because of a shortage.

They are still a car in the high end of the demand chain.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    If they don't offer competitive rates, you can shop for rates outside. You can take the 5.9% from CapitalOne or check your local credit union.
  • nahreatnahreat Posts: 12
    pathstar1, have you tried asking what the buy rate is before you start negotiating the sales price? I usually ask them what the 'buy rate' from Toyota. They will do everything that they can to get you off the topic but if stay on them they will have to give in. Tell them that you have Tier 1 credit, they will then quote you the buy rate but follow up by saying you have to have Tier 1 plus to get it (~710ish). then you simply get them to commit to the buy rate if I had tier 1 plus credit score. Now go deal on the car and when you get to financing you just tell them you have tier 1plus so you have to get the previously quoted buy rate or it's a deal breaker. The only thing is that you have to have great credit or else you're at their mercy. Good luck!
    If Toyota isn't offering a subsidized incentive rate on the vehicle, it's probably better to just arrange your own best rate financing from a credit union before you ever go to the dealer.
    You have better control if you do it that way and the salespeople will not be able to play the games where they try to hide the rate and terms from you by only quoting payments.
  • muttlovermuttlover Posts: 3
    I understand that there is a dealer holdback right now, at least this is in California. It is from a report I pulled. If I mention this, will that help? Also, I understand the Invoice price is the dealer's Maximum cost to acquire the car from the dealer. If they sell a lot of Priuses, does that mean their invoice price is less? I live in Marin and I think this is the #1 area of sold Priuses. I think. I was looking at the Touring model package 3-6. (Is the only difference with 3 that the Navigation is not voice activated and no leather seats?)
    There is only one Navigation system. It can be voice activated. Leather on the seating areas can be "factory", "port installed", "dealer installed", or done by your choice of auto upholstering company. Most of these install leather covers where only the centre seatbottom and seatback panels are real leather. The rest is imitation leather. You -can- order full leather seatcovers from the upholstering company, but it will be fairly expensive.

Note that the Touring model will be in short supply next year (2008) so be prepared to jump if you find one.
  • wooha2000wooha2000 Posts: 54
    "Note that the Touring model will be in short supply next year (2008) so be prepared to jump if you find one."

Why would this be?
  • nitinnnitinn Posts: 7
    Got my prius yesterday with PKG#2.
    Price 21888$ (200$ below 22088 invoice) + Tax and license
    Its from Bay area dealer : Toyota Sunnyvale.
  • With the soon to come 2008's - any idea if/when the prices on the 2007s will be coming down?
    You'd have to ask Toyota why. A dealer has posted his allotment for 2008. It was something like 3500 Prius, with only 135 being Touring. That was in California. Perhaps the Touring isn't selling well?

There are a lot of people who just buy on price. The Touring tends to be equipped with more "options", so appears a lot more expensive. If you look closely, however, you will see it is only a few hundred more than a similarly equipped standard model.

There has been a report that Toyota will also release a "stripped" model in 2008 in the US (no options), for a little less than the current lowest package. Perhaps this is a clue that the majority of people really do buy on price alone. I personally buy the options I want, rather than trying to get the lowest price by buying a stripped car.

All this is probably Toyota "slotting in" the car against the competition (price wise).
  • dregodrego Posts: 1
    Great deal! Thanks for posting. Can you PM the name of your salesman? I'll try and get the same deal.
  • nitinnnitinn Posts: 7
    Michael Chung. (Toyota sunnyvale)

My calculated guess is that this month end they should sell this car (PKG#2) for 300-500 below invoice. I had 2 dealers with same price. Another was Gilroy. Gilroy has 2-3 cars left from previous month stock. You should bargain for 300-500) below invoice for that.
  • gokalpsgokalps Posts: 10
    Does anybody know the details of the new "Lots on the Lot" campaign? Does it include any deals for Prius?
  • mehebubmehebub Posts: 5
    Any body know if 2008 prices will go up. I am also "booked" for a 2007 Prius and am wondering if I should hold off.
  • kyuzokyuzo Posts: 2
    Hey all, my wife and I just picked up a 2007 Prius Model 1224C with Package #2 today in Orlando, FL. Here's what we paid:

Selling Price: $23171
    Dealer Service Fee: $600
    State Sales Tax: $1336
    County Tax: $25
    Tag/Title Fee: $125

For a total of $25257 out-the-door. They also gave us $1500 for our trade-in of a fair condition 1994 Honda Accord EX.

My wife is convinced we got jammed hard, but I want to run it by you guys to see what you think.
  • Did you get jammed? Yep, IMO, you got jellied and jammed.

MSRP for a Package #2 Prius is $22175 plus the destination fee of $660 for a total vehicle cost of $23,410. You paid the dealer $23,171 plus a dealer ripoff of $600 for a total of $23,771. So you ended up paying $600 over MSRP. Edmunds reports an average purchase pricea (TMV) of $22,293 or about $1400 less than you paid for the vehicle.
    Also, unless the trade-in needed alot of work, a 1994 Accord is probably worth more than $1500.
  • kyuzokyuzo Posts: 2
    Yeah, we were willing to take it because we had just been quoted about $1500 in work on a bunch of leaking oil seals. The Accord had paint fade and some minor trim damage, so we were okay with them giving us $1500 in trade.
  • I've contacted a handful of dealers in Michigan, and none will budge below MSRP. It seems that in other states, based on posts on Edmunds, people are buying at Invoice+ rather than full MSRP. I refuse to pay full MSRP for a 2007 that will be worth 3 grand less when I drive it off the lot.

I'm being quoted 28200 OTD for a package #5 by literally every dealer.

Can anyone give me any options? Any nearby states that can get this deal done?

I want to pay around 27k OTD if possible.
  • Are you talking to floor salesmen or the internet department? The internet dept is invariably equipped with sharper pencils.
  • I'm talking to floor salesmen. I also contacted Costco, who routed me back to one of the same floor salesman from a dealership I previously contacted. He said the Costco discount would be $100 off.

I'll look into the internet sales more today.
  • I finally got a decent deal on a 2007 Prius Package #5 (base model).

25200 price
    27032 OTD (tax, title, plate transfer, doc fee)

It took contacting 5-6 dealers to find anyone willing to negotiate. I recommend contacting the internet manager, and bouncing prices off the different dealers, looking for a match. The majority of these dealers were unwilling to even listen to a below-MRSP offer.
  • tnel332tnel332 Posts: 23
    I saw a couple of 07's with the #2 Package. Is the discount done for the #2? On Edmunds they have #2 listed for about $575 but on the window sticker, it said the #2 was $1175 give or take a few bucks..
    Package #2 or "B" in the US is $575 from the Toyota.com web site (I entered a Chicago zip). Go there, enter your zip, and price your Toyota. Note the packages are letters, not numbers, but when you mouse over them to see the details they list them using the numbers as well.

The 2008s will start arriving at the end of this month (some dealers on west coast). Prices aren't changing much, perhaps $40 according to one dealer rep. The car is pretty much the same as the 2007, same colours, options, etc.
    Prices are changing for 2008. The dealer rep was lying.
    There will be a new 2008 Standard model with some decontenting for a significantly lower price than the cheapest 2007.
  • faisfais Posts: 1
    My husband and I have been waiting a couple of months for "our" prius to come in. It finally arrived, and after it sat at a local mechanic to get heated seats added, the car wouldn't start. The dealership tells us the car ran out of gas, so the battery completely went dead. They had to get someone from Raleigh (the car is in asheville) to come "recharge" the battery. They tell us this is no problem and we shouldn't worry but I'm thinking we need to let the dealership sell the car to someone else and let us wait for the next one. Does anyone know how a dead prius battery can affect the life of the battery? and is this typical to need someone 250+ miles away to come recharge the battery? My husband wants to buy this car (he's driving a 1995 honda accord w/o AC in 100+ degree weather now) but i'm wary of it. we're planning to pay cash for the car. Any suggestions would he greatly appreciated.