Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cdm4cdm4 Posts: 4
    So first let me thank one and all for the great tips. Honestly, I think I spent 3 tO 4 months doing my home work before pulling the trigger. Went from a 07 Touring 6 to a complete change Basic pk.4. Very Happy With my decision and the price>>>>>After all isn't that what this is really all about. Just TO be clear I didn"t purchase the touring ended with the 08 PK. 4. I'M in "THE OC" AND was told by several dealers, Including longo no 4's to so. ca. 08's. Course no. cal. said no 08 pk. 5 or 6's. So I flew up, salesman picked me up, drove 30 min. 1hr 30min. i was out. 6 hrs. later home with my black/tan (told very tough to find color combo) . o.k I was told by fleet folks invoice $24,116. My guy said $24,074. Sold it to me for 23,707, $367 under invoice. tax, lic. otd= $25,848. concord toyota in concord. fleet man, first name starts with a H. He is the best, very very professional no games no idle meaningless chit chat and he wanted me to call when i got home to let him know i made it. Not putting his name because it says were not suppose to. Yes I like my pruis, plan to trick it out some. Leather seats, dark tint,chrome and black wheels.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    It works both ways. If you had an inkling at all that you were going to buy the car you should have given them a deposit. No deposit no deal. They are free to sell the car. It was probably another salesman that sold the car not the one you were working with. Happens all the time. If there's "no money in the house" we are not legally bound to hold a car for a prospect.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    And you been selling cars how long?
    ;)
    Mackabee

• prusaprusa Posts: 43
    Please give me the city and state where you bought your Prius. I need to check this place out before I make a final decision. I will fly if I have to in order to get this deal. :)
    PRUSA
  • We had shopped on the net and got quotes from list to about $950 off list from Gladstone Toyota in Gladstone Oregon ( outside of Portland.) Edmunds said this was "below" what others were paying so we thought for this car, that was pretty competitive. Drove it and started to talk- we had received a low trade in value on our car but were able to get them to add heated seats and xm for just a little money. If we did not trade the price was a good one, we just decided to be done with the old car. A pretty easy negotiation on the old car and no surprises. So far my wife really likes the car and I'd recommend talking to this Dealer if you want a Toyota. I would get internet quotes first- makes it easier.
  • rkcherkche Posts: 1
    @michaelcozens

Can you provide the break up of the quote? Not including the trade-in, can you tell how much was the quote for the Touring package #6?

thanks in advance!
    I PURCHASED IT IN CONCORD CA., OAKLAND AIRPORT IS 30 MIN AWAY. The dealership is Concord toyota. Be sure to ask for the Fleet Manger whose first name starts with an H. He is the best!! DON'T know if I mentioned he emailed all the specs and outlined the cost so I had that in hand just in case. Hope this helps.">
  • Never, EVER believe ANYTHING a car salesman tells you. Many are between jobs as french fry chefs or state fair ticket takers. Especially do not believe them when they say anything about what is legal and what is not. They know little and often can't remember what it is they DO know. Much of the time, what they DO know is WRONG. Most especially whenever it comes to "non-refundable" vehicle deposits.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    A reporter with a large finance magazine is hoping to talk to consumers who just purchased or looking to purchase a more fuel-efficient car for their daily commute. Please reply to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, October 8, 2007 with your daytime contact info.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I just signed in and see your post- I am travelling but will respond this weekend with some detail!
  • bob104bob104 Posts: 94
    Firstly, Edmunds pricing for Priuses is now up and runnning for 08s. Invoice for 08 basepkg6 is $25,300. MSRP is $27,500.
    Can anyone provide a rationale to get the touring? With the 195 tires instead of 185 I would think it loses 1 mpg or so. No? "Sport" suspension reads "stiff" to me. Not sure how the family would like that.

Secondly, check my figures carefully, please, but for the 07 basepkg#4 in msg #1028 Edmunds gives the invoice price of $23,401.
    So according to Edmunds the buyer paid $306 OVER invoice, not $367 under invoice. Markets change quickly but for last year's model I would think the dealers need to sell well below invoice. I would not be the least bit tempted to buy an 07 unless it were $1,000 or more below an 08. I bought an 02 Civic EX about this time in 2002 (03 were just coming out) for $1600 below invoice, $16,000 OTD.
    As an aside, comparing tangerines to oranges, that's $10,000 less than 07basePrius#4 for a roughly similar car--(EX has moonroof), good stereo, cruise, remote door, alarm. (Darn, I'm nearly talking myself into buying a Honda Fit at 10 mpg less than the Prius, if it were 10k less--which it isn't).
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    I went through the same questioning 6 months back.

Touring Prius gets 5-10% poorer mileage than non-touring. From Japanese govt. mileage figures (both wheels are available in Japan - though I'm not sure they call the 16" equipped car a "Touring" - that's a US thing). Note that the Japanese mileage measuring methods are different than the EPA ones.

With the Touring you get:
    1. 16" wheels with lower profile tires (same overall diameter as 15" "standard" wheels/tires).
    2. Slightly stiffer suspension.
    3. Slightly larger rear spoiler.
    4. Slightly different packages content.

There is about a $250-$300 difference in similarly equipped touring/non-touring. It's less than the cost of the extra expense if you were to buy the different equipment (mostly the cost difference is in the wheels).

If you do want a touring, better get your order in soon, as they are not slated to be delivered in large quantities, according to the Toyota US delivery lists.

Pricing is different in Canada, but here a Civic is about $4000 less than a Prius (comparing Hybrid to Hybrid). The Civic is smaller (inside room), and in Hybrid form gets slightly poorer mileage (less than 5% difference). I wanted the flexibility of the Prius (hatchback) and the extra room, so I purchased a 2007 Prius with Canadian Package "B" (everything but Nav and backup camera). The "Touring" is not available in Canada.

Whether you would ever "recover" the extra cost through fuel savings depends on each individual's driving habits, how many miles you drive, and what will happen to fuel prices. Good luck trying to figure that out! I didn't care about the savings, I knew I would be happy with the Prius, and I am.
  • We purchased an '07 Prius TOURING this past May, and yes the "sport suspension" and lower profile tires make for a little "harsher" ride over bumps and railroad tracks but it also makes for a more positive feel when going around corners and zooming up curved highway "on ramps".

Also, the rear spoiler on the Touring is a little bit larger than non-Touring which I could care less about. The headlights on the Touring are HID's and although nice on back roads with no street lights, they are much MORE expensive to replace when burnt out than the non-Touring Prius headlights. Just another consideration to think about !!

As far as "packages".... we bought Package #5 (cloth seats) especially because we didn't want leather seats down here in hot Florida. We are very, very disappointed with the Toyota factory NAV, especially after having an Acura (MDX) NAVI for the past four years. The Toyota NAV has many shortcomings and if we had to do it over again would NOT have purchased any Prius Package with NAV !!
  • The sticker on this was 28207- Included the Rear Bumper Applique ( $65) and the Acc Package- Floor Mats,
    etc ($277)It is a package 6- with Leather. The price was 27370- A little less off MSRP than I had stated before-now that I go thru it. In any case this was less than Edmunds said the going pricing was for this and it was one of the few touring models we had seen. AS a postscript, we got the heated seats and XM in now and both are very cool and really complete the car. The people at Gladstone Toyota ( near Portland Or) were pretty good. I'd suggest using the net to narrow down your option and see where the pricing is.
    Good Luck, hope this is helpful!
  • bennbbennb Posts: 143
    I finally had an opportunity to drive a Touring model ... I first drove the base model, then took out the Touring. I could tell a difference in drive b/t the two ... the Touring felt less "floaty" and more in touch with the road. It was a slight bit firmer, but I wouldn't say it was jarring in the least. I just felt a little more connected with the road overall. I like the idea of a slightly larger tire, and the tires that come with the Touring are a lot better quality than the tires that come with the base ... if you look at Prius message boards, the touring tires last longer and hold up better.

The Touring model also had significantly less lean in turns and corners imho. The extended spoiler on the Touring makes the Prius look a little more sporty (especially in a color like blac) imho, not that a Prius could EVER be called "sporty". HIDs come with all Tourings, but you can get HIDs on the base Prius w/Pkg #4 and above.

I am not quite ready to buy yet, but if I were to choose I would definitely pick the Touring ... fully loaded like I am looking at, it is only $500 more MSRP.
  • As I wrote, we bought an new '07 Prius TOURING this past May ('07) after driving both the regular and the Touring. We are glad we did and would still make the choice of ONLY buying the Touring, no matter how long the wait. Just a "fact" that I heard..... Toyota makes only 5% of the Prius in the Touring, that is about one Touring for every 19 "regular" Prius. Touring models in some states (New England states ??) are difficult or nearly impossible to get from what I read on this and other forums. Again, we are very pleased with ours, getting OVER 50 MPG and with over 75% of the drive on the Highway at around 60 - 65 MPH !! The very disappointing feature is the SEATS, they are lousy, no height adjustment, no lumbar support, really "primative", as well as a "second rate, poorly programmed" NAV which, after having an Acura NAVI, is real "junk" !!
  • The problem with the evauation of seats is that it is subject to a tremendous variable which is the unique nature of any individual spinal structure. It's even more complicated by the fact that a seat which seems to feel fine when first used becomes uncomfortable after a period of sitting in it. Peversely, it can also work the other way - a seat that seems over-firm initially can start to feel more comfortable after a lengthy period of sitting in it. That's why the user reports on car seats varies so wildly. But that's just as true as the chairs and sofas in your house, your mattress etc.

Now what does surprise me is that a power seat that could largely satisfy the vagaries of a particular driver is not available in any version of the Prius. To me, that's a poor marketing decision. At least it should be standard in the Touring version.

With respect to the NAV, a large consensus of users of the Prius NAV think you are dead wrong. It is designed by Denso and is considerably inferior to other NAV designs. If you've never previously used a well designed NAV system, you wouldn't know the difference, but for those people that have, it's described as the difference between night and day. Apparently, it's not a bad system but there are better ones and the cost differential between the best and the worst is not significant. I don't know who designed the NAV system for the BMW, but everyone I've talked to that uses it just raves about it.

BTW, it's good to get your input Mack, but could you try to sound a little less like Mack the Knife? ;-)
  • I have gained a lot of very meaningful insight from this forum ... thanks to everyone. Here's my story.

Was looking for a Prius with leather. It's only offered in package #6. Was open to considering '07, if the price was substantially lower.

Got in touch with the internet manager of a dealership in Southern California. Visited them on 9/29 (Saturday). Maybe I'm old school, but I seem to have a lot better experience/luck negotiating in person. So, went with a "good faith commitment" to make it work! (Yeah, take that to the bank!!!)

They had 2 remaining '07, both with colors I did not want. And they were selling them at ~$350 below invoice. They agreed to sell me an '08 at invoice (a figure that matched with Edmunds'). I opted for '08.

I wanted leather, but did not want NAV. Didn't want to pay ~$4,500 for package 6. So, they suggested package 2 (smart key, CD, reverse camera, VSC) and they'd add leather (after market, but better quality) for an extra $1,000. That made sense, so I agreed.

During financing, they offered many options, such as:
    * Extended warranty: 6 yrs for $1,995 or 7 yrs for $2,495
    * Prepaid service (all oil changes, routine service at 15k, 30k and 45k) for $895
    * Bluetooth for $495

I told them I'd only consider them if I could name my price. I picked $1,995 (6 yrs warranty) + $895 + $495. Total "retail" was $3,400. I offered $1,500, and settled on $1,600. They also offered drive-off with a full tank, and a free car wash every week.

So ... bottom-line ... my car is 2008, silver with dark gray leather interior, package 2 and bluetooth.

Total OTD price, including extended warranty and prepaid service and leather seats and bluetooth and TTL: $27,613.

And I also qualified for the $750 tax credit. That should bring a big smile to my face early next year (or, knowing me, on April 15th, or October 15th!).

Just wanted to share my experience. 'hope it helps someone.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    Power seats would be best, but even manually adjustable seat height and tilt would be a big improvement.
    Most cars in the price range of the Prius at least have manual height adjustments and many have power seats.

The lack of thigh support is a very common complaint of the Prius. If the seat bottom could be adjusted to tilt up in the front as well as be raised a few inches, it would take care of many of the complaints.
    I have seen more complaints about Prius seats than any other car.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    "
    Now what does surprise me is that a power seat that could largely satisfy the vagaries of a particular driver is not available in any version of the Prius. To me, that's a poor marketing decision. At least it should be standard in the Touring version."

Power seats require weight. The Prius is designed to minimize weight to enhance MPG.
    So, a manual seat adjuster with a hand crank and twist knob to adjust seat height and tilt then if weight is really their excuse. Other cars have this. I doubt the weight of a power seat motor would be enough to change the EPA ratings 1 mpg. Even if it did, it would be moot if it wasn't standard equipment.

Cost certainly isn't an issue when they offer leather and navigation than can push the MSRP around $30K.
    At this price range, lack of *at least* manual height and seat tilt adjustment is inexcusable.

Even a Kia Rio, which is one of the lowest priced new cars you can buy in the United States, has these manual adjustments.
    "Even a Kia Rio, which is one of the lowest priced new cars you can buy in the United States, has these manual adjustments. "

I'm not disagreeing with anything you said, but I still think that weight is an issue. Take sunroof for example; same issue.

Also, they have to protect the Camry line - hence, not offering all of the options. In some ways the Prius has many of the same capabilities as the Hybrid Camry.
    Manual seat adjusters weight almost nothing. Weight is not an issue.
    "Manual seat adjusters weight almost nothing. Weight is not an issue."

Well, lets see. I'd say maybe 6 oz for the knobs, maybe 5-6 lbs for the hardware inside the seat. Considerably more if an electric motor is involved to power the seat.

But I agree, I think this is most likely branding to keep from impacting Camry sales - or a combination of both.
    That was ridiculous to even bring up 5-6 oz knobs. It doesn't matter what motors weigh when I was talking about manual seats.
    Clearly weight of manual seats adjusters is not an issue in a car that weighs over 2900 lbs.
    6lbs wouldn't affect the gas mileage of a motorcycle much less a Prius. In relationship to the total weight of the car, that is almost nothing.
    In the UK, the Prius has a height adjuster, but unfortunately, no seat angle tilt adjustment.
  • bob104bob104 Posts: 94
    I remember reading once that each 100 pounds reduces mileage 1% (conventional car). So using that assumption in a Prius 5 pounds reduces mileage 0.05%. That's about 1.5 gallons of gasoline per year. Probably less due to the Prius' regen braking, probably less than 1 gallon a year.

Popular Mechanics did an article within the last year or so about a 4 passenger concept car not unlike Prius getting 100 mpg. It was a plug-in lithium battery, 40hp-turbodiesel hybrid made of light materials, total weight about 1800 pounds. Compare to Prius which has no plug-in, a 70hp or so gasoline engine and weighs about 2900 pounds.
    Bob
  • The decision by Toyota was obviously a marketing decision since the technology is right in their other lines. Toyota unquestionably makes a lot of good marketing calls but IMO this was a bad one. They could have put this feature in one of the higher end packages and pulled up customers from the more stripped packages. Seat comfort is not perceived as an inconsequential factor in choosing a vehicle and a telescoping steering wheel helps a lot in putting a driver in the least tiring position. At the price modern vehicles are selling, these should be standard items.
    Sorry if my post wasn't clear. I purchased a 08 pk. 4 not a 07. Also, as mentioned 2 or 3 different dealers (fleet dept.) quoted the same invoice number $24,116 my guy said $23,707. After reading these newer posts I'm very glad I didn"t spend the extra on a nav.system that most all say is poor and everyone says the after market leather, which I plan to add, is far better than the pk.6 leather."> :) :)
    "That was ridiculous to even bring up 5-6 oz knobs. It doesn't matter what motors weigh when I was talking about manual seats. "

The original posts were about power seats. I would bet that Toyota considered every weight in the Prius, from materials to design - and (of course) product branding and marketing...

The Prius is custom designed for MPG. Other cars compromise somewhat due to their being designed first as passenger vehicles and then being converted to hybrids. People may not think about it, but when Toyota works on the Prius, they have to keep this philosophy in mind - maximize MPG. The vehicle cannot be downright uncomfortable - but then not everyone dislikes the current seats either. Designers know from experience that seat "feeling" is subjective, and they know what seats to install that will please the widest market. However, the Prius should always (in my opinion) focus on the MPG - a concept that includes the entire vehicle, including the seats, their construction / materials, and design, in addition to more obvious things like engine choice, HSD computer programming, Tires, etc.
    So what if not "everyone" hates it. If the seat didn't adjust back and forth, it would still fit some people, but adjustability makes it comfortable for a much wider variety of people.
    They miscalculated the importance because complaints about the drivers seat is the most common complaint of the Prius and I have seen more complaints about it than complaints about seats on any other car. A lot of people have purchased the car and then complain about the seats later.
    Luckily, I rented the car for a day and decided it would not be something I would purchase and try to "learn to live with."

They have a height adjuster on the Prius sold in other countries.
    A manual seat adjuster gets the job done and saves the weight of an electric motor if weight is a concern.
    It doesn't have to be power seats or nothing. It could have been manually adjustable seats.

The weight of other options including a the weight of a Touring vs base Prius weighs more than a manual seat adjuster.
    People can quit justifying lack of seat adjusters as a method of saving weight.
This discussion has been closed.