Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004-2009 Toyota Prius Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• I just got quoted $25,877 OTD for a Package 3. That includes $339 Tag/Tax/Title fee.

Personally, I'm thinking I should get the price closer to $25k, but I'm not sure if that's realistic.
  • According to Edmunds, they quoted you about $1400 over invoice, plus the tag/tax/title fee, which also includes profit for them. Not to mention that the dealer also gets the holdback, which is I think two or three percent. I am getting phone calls frequently from dealers who know I'm thinking of buying. When I went into a dealership to test drive on Wed afternoon, there was absolutely no one in the place. I would bargain very hard - things are completely different from where they were this past summer.
  • Just bought a new package #2 today for $23890, but what a battle.The car I had been bargaining for on the internet was sold by the time I got to the dealer. Needless to say I was a little upset. Now is the time to buy. I walked out three times and they kept luring me back. I think I could have saved a couple extra hundred, but four hours later I was spent. It really pays to do your homework on all the package deals and cost. Numbers were flying like fur at a cat fight. This was not the experience I had hoped for. I thought dealing on the internet would save me all the hassle.
  • It must have been late that night that I wrote about my purchase experience because I actually paid $22890. Invoice was $23068 I still think in retrospect that I paid too much given the economy. $22688 should had been my target. I still ended up with the color I wanted, so I can't kick myself too hard.
  • Was it a 2009 base model package 2? What part of the country are you located in?
  • I just got a 2009 with package 5 at invoice. Think I left anything on the table?
  • scottc3scottc3 Posts: 109
    The question is, are you pleased with your purchase? If so, don't mind what we tell you. If you feel you got the car for a good price do you need verification from us to confirm this?

Be happy with your purchase.

sc
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,371
    It's the PRICES PAID forum..

We are here to discuss prices..

Happiness? That's just a fortunate byproduct.. ;)

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I'm in So Cal. The Prius was a Package #2.
  • bought a package2 today for 23K + taxes(Chicago). Negotiation wasn't easy. They bargained for last $50 also. I am not sure if it is below invoice but I think it is a fair price. This is definitely a buyer's market. Don't hesistate to bargain hard.
  • LKC77LKC77 Posts: 1
    That's the car I want with package #2. I like the price you paid. Which dealership in So Cal?

Thanks!
  • I saw the posted special ad at

http://www.toyotapaloalto.com/onlinespecials/onlinenewcar.jsp?ptitle=New%20Vehic- le%20Weekday%20Specials

The dealer is in the San Francisco area and I believe it is for package #2. The price $21,888 looks pretty attractive.
  • Hi All,

I bought a 2009 Prius Touring + Option Pkg # 6 + Preferred Accessory Package for $27,800.00 out of the door from Dublin Toyota, in the SF Bay Area.

Here is the breakdown:

26323.06 -- Prius Touring + Option pkg 6 + Preffered Accessory Package
    2176.19 -- Sales Tax (Contra Costa County, CA)
    55.00 -- Doc fees
    245.75 -- License, Registration, CA Tire disposal fees
    ---------------
    - 1,000.00 -- Toyota rebate
    ---------------
    27,800.00 -- Out of the door
    --------------

I paid cash + credit card for the purchase.

cheers,
    Krish
  • Does anyone have the Toyota money factors for the 2009 Toyota Prius Option #5 and Option #6 for the month of January that would be great. I'll also need the residual percentage please.

Thank you very much for the help.
  • Hi gerry10. Toyota is not currently providing lease support on the 2009 Prius. As a result, if you want to lease one through Toyota Financial Services, you will have to use its standard lease program. TFS' standard buy rate lease money factor is .00295 for consumers who qualify for its top aka "Tier 1+" credit tier.

TFS' residual values for this model vary by term and mileage allowance. You never mentioned what either of these variables are, so for now I will assume that you are interested in a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. The 36 month, 15k residual value for any '09 Prius is 61%.

The problem with this number is that TFS places restrictions upon what options can be residualized. This makes it very difficult for consumers to calculate the actual dollar residual values for specific units. It is so tricky that TFS provides dealers with lists of the actual dollar residual values for the units that they have in stock rather than relying on them to calculate them on their own. As a result, it is difficult for consumers to calculate sample lease payments for Toyota models on their own.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • Thank yo so much for the reply Car_man.

Toyota seems to enjoy making some things complicated with purchasing a car, and this residual issue is a prime example.

Anyway, I think I can at least get a close idea for a payment with your numbers.

I am thinking about a 36 month 12K or 15K lease. Any idea about the residual for the 12K lease?

Thank you again for the help!
  • alt6alt6 Posts: 1
    Hi Krish,

You got a great deal! I was at Dublin Toyota today(1/13/09), and coudn't get the same price. Would like to chat with you if you had a few minutes.

Thanks,
    Al
    atejwa@hotmail.com
  • 3c33c3 Posts: 74
    Like the gas price, Prius prices have gone up since a couple of weeks ago.
  • Got an email from a chicagoland dealer today ... Email basically says the Prius's aren't in as much demand since gas is down. They claim they have inventory and that they will let all prius's on the lot go for invoice.
  • Hi Al,

Could have been that it was an end of the year special.

Around the time I was in the market for a Prius (last week of 2008), I saw a similar price quote on craigslist from a dealer in Oakland who was quoting $750.00 below invoice. It was for a Prius Touring with Option 6, with a few more options in addition to Option # 6, such as glass breakage sensor, ipod kit, etc. That deal would have cost me $28,600 on road.

I decided to go with Dublin Toyota because I live pretty close by and I did not need the additional options that the Oakland dealer was offering.

A couple of days back, I was talking to the sales mgr at Dublin Toyota, who mentioned that they got a lot of calls from all over CA, after I posted my experience and they may not offer the same deal anymore.

Good luck,
    Krish
  • anyone finding a great deal in california around the bay area? wondering if it's worth waiting for the 2010. yeah, i know it's going to cost a bit more, but since i'm not seeing any great deals right now...
  • DolsDols Posts: 1
    A NY dealer offered to take $25k for a 2009 Prius with package #5. That included the recent $500 rebate, but I had to pay docs ($300) and registration ($150). Does anyone know if this is a good deal? Or should I wait for the 2010? Thanks.
  • In a nut shell....It's "GOUGING!!" Look...the paperwork is an angle for the dealer to grab profit under the guise of legit charges. If it were reasonable charges they would be in the range of $100.00 to $150.00....more than fair tack on charges. Some dealers only let you know these inflated charges at the time of closing. Buyer beware. It pays to know.

P.S. I sold cars for 5 yrs. I know of what I speak.
  • cmyawncmyawn Posts: 36
    Hello All,

I am in heated negotiations with a local NC dealer on a Prius Touring Model Package 6. He has agreed to price at invoice. He claims a money factor of .00274, which is better than I had hoped, but he claims a residual of only 59% for a 36 month, 12,000 mi/year lease. That seems low.

I am hoping for a residual of 62 or 63%. What is the official Totota Finance number for a Touring Model package 6 with 36 months, 12,000 mi/year?

Thanks

Mike
  • Someone here probably knows this better than I do, but it seems that each Toyota car is residualized differently and the dealers get the residual number for each car from Toyota. I have also heard that the higher up you go in option packages the lower your residual tends to go. I hope that helps.

Oh, and for what it's worth in my state (KS/MO) Toyota just yesterday (1.14.09) started a $750 dealer cash incentive with the Prius.
  • cmyawncmyawn Posts: 36
    Gerry10, Many Thanks.

In looking at the incentives page on edmunds.com, that is also true in NC. So a dealer selling at invoice is still making the $750. Plus holdback. Plus his dealer prep profits.
  • i have an offer for $24100 for the same car (package 5). i'm also in the same boat as you--wondering if prices will come down in the next few months because of the economy, the honda insight, or...
  • ck90211ck90211 Posts: 129
    Sorry my post has nothing to do with new Prius price paid, but just wondering what people think my 07 Prius (pkg 2) w 25K miles and CA HOV sticker would be worth, if I sell it (SoCal or NoCal).

I hate to even consider selling this car. I love HOV privilege, the free parking (in LA), the mileage, the cleanliness, etc.. But I am also moving to Virgniia where the CA HOV sticker is no longer useful to me.

So thinking about selling it in CA, then maybe buy another one (or something else) once in VA. Not even sure I am selling it but just wondering what I can sell it for.

Thanks for any feedback.
  • what color is it? i might take it off your hands for you--easiest sale you ever made huh? haha
  • ck90211ck90211 Posts: 129
    It's silver. I know it's way too common but sure made it easy to stay clean and looking new.