Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best AWD Performance Wagon under $40k

2»

Comments

• andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    However, a Caliber is just a Neon with another name. Same flawed design and engineering.

The same tactics and shananigans have not changed at Chrysler.

Also, it may be a 15 year old Neon today, but it's a memory of less than 10 years old from when I last drove it.

All I have to do is open up CR to see how Chrysler is doing, just a bunch of black dots last I looked.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    And until this year, CR had Toyota right up there with sliced bread. I never found them too credible.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,341
    I've found CR to always be credible. Funny you mention Toyota. I can vouch for their flawlessness. They were the OPPOSITE of the Chrysler experience.

Camry = NO VISITS to the shop under warranty, flawless to 100,000 miles (only routine maintenance).
    4 Runner = NO VISITS to the shop under warranty, flawless to 100,000 miles.
    Another Camry = again, no visits required to fix anything under warranty (vehicle currently only has 74,000 miles though).
    My brother's T100 was never in the shop, he'd rub it in when my Neon was (you should of got a Corolla he said).
    His Tundra after that T100 was also flawless.

All of these Toyota's deserved a full line of all fully red dots and got them from CR. The Neon deserved a full line of all fully black dots and got them from CR. Seems pretty credible to me.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Doc kent, have you considered the Subarus at all? The top of the line Outback 3.6 is very nice.

That and the Volvo V70 were the two I most strongly considered in my recent search. I ended up going with the Volvo, but that is FWD, not AWD, so maybe not what you want. With the deals on Volvo right now, price was competitive with the Subaru.

The car I most loved, as in immediate heart-felt lust, was the Infiniti EX35. However, prudence once again won out. If you need a large back seat, neither the EX nor the slightly larger FX will likely do it for you, but man, what a sweet, sweet ride. Absolutely loved it. It's more of a sports car with some utility than it is a utility car with some sport, though. IF I ever trade in my Z and decide I don't want a convertible as a second car any more - which will not be happening anytime soon - the EX would be a great replacement.
  • chris_norcalchris_norcal Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Manual, AWD, GPS Navagation, and "fast" wagon ( 0 to 60 MPH at under 6.5 seconds)...can these four be purchased for $40K new?

I drive a Titan 4WD pickup, so all these should handle better than my pu? maybe even more reliable?
  • doc_kentdoc_kent Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know much about the new Cadillac CTS wagon? MPG still sucks and the price is steep, but otherwise looks OK and it's American. Maybe if the Audi A6 Avant can last another year or 2 (it only has 180K on it) I can get a used CTS wagon for an affordable price.
    Looked at the Honda Crosstour. Nice, but strange looking and not really a wagon. The Toyota Venza seems to have less cargo room than the Audi (as do all those so-called "crossovers"). Looked at the Lincoln MKZ (not a wagon but has a big trunk) and may look at the Ford Fusion--same car I think. Was kind of excited about the Buick LaCrosse AWD but read it handles like, well, a Buick.
    I don't want or need mega horsepower or neck-snapping acceleration. Perfectly happy with the wife's Toyota Solara 4-banger. And no offense to the previous poster, Chris, but a built-in Nav system strikes me as dumb. A $2000 built-in option that will be obsolete in 3 years. I'd rather spend $200 every 3 years for a new Garmin.
    So any more ideas?
2»
This discussion has been closed.