Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best AWD Performance Wagon under $40k

2»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'm no fan of the Dodges, however, I've always had a soft spot for the AWD Magnum RT. Great car!

-mike
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    is that most need 4 to $5K in repair costs by the time you hit 65K miles. More expensive to maintain and repair than the worst and most expensive cars.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,747
    The reviews of VW's 4-motion version of its Tiguan have generally been very good and it easily fits into this price range.

Still, I wonder how the Tiguan's AWD compares to the Audi A3, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Subaru Forester XT
  • doc_kentdoc_kent Posts: 2
    edited April 2010
    WHY is it so hard to find the car I want? I'm currently driving an Audi A6 Avant wagon. Bought it 2nd hand for about $25K with 40K miles on it. Now has 180K miles and I'm thinking about replacing it. I've grown to love the convenience of a wagon and I love the room and luxury of the Audi. What don't I like? MPG (about 20) and repair frequency/cost.
    I NEED AWD and a big back seat. I WANT good gas mileage and some luxury. I would not be caught dead in an SUV or "crossover."
    Are Europeans the only ones who like wagons? I see Honda will be selling a wagon next year as the Accord TSX but no AWD. BMW is unreliable. Mercedes is too expensive. I test drove a Volvo XC when I bought the Audi (I'd had 5 Volvos) but it handled like a hippo on rollerskates. The "perfect" car for me would probably be a VW Passat wagon with AWD and a turbodiesel but that doesn't exist. I'll probably end up with another used Audi A6 but why can't they build one with better gas mileage (or diesel)?? And if there were a good American station wagon with AWD and decent MPG & reliability I'd jump on it.
    Anyone know of a nice roomy AWD wagon that's not a fuel pig?
    I think you need Audi to bring you a brand new A4 avant over again. The new A4 is quite a bit larger than the last generation. Convince them to bring back the Avant to the A4 and you'll be happy.
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    Chrysler makes what you want... they just don't sell it in the U.S.

Remember the Dodge Magnum wagon? Well, in Europe, it's the Chrysler 300 Touring (300 front clip and interior, Magnum outer body), offers AWD and a 3.0L V6 diesel (215 hp/375 lb-ft torque).

Tell Chrysler you'll buy one tomorrow if they certify it for North America.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

Ummm... I don't see how you can recommend Chrysler unless you work for them or own stock in their shares.

First, Chrysler wouldn't know luxury if it hit them upside the head.

Second, they have never been known to qualify as even remotely reliable. If he's not liking the repair frequency and cost of his A6, he's going to be absolutely miserable with your typical Chrysler quality product (or lack thereof).

What happened to that "lifetime" warranty by the way? LOL. Chrysler is a joke.
    Mine have been rather trouble-free for the last 14 years...

Opinions -good and bad - exist on all automakers. Ownership is another story, though... what's the last Chrysler product you owned?

I had a 1995 Dodge Neon Sport (the top trim line) was my first and last Chrysler product, at least for me and my families' and friends' lifetimes.

I can't see any of my friends or family buying a Chrysler ever again after witnessing first hand how often they end up in the shop or tow truck hook. A typical teenage conversation with a friend of mine would go something like this:

Friend: It's your turn to drive tonight by the way.
    Me: I would, but I can't because my head gaskets are being replaced.
    Friend: Dang, your Neon's always in the shop!
    Me: I know, it's a POS :sick: !!!
    Friend: Okay, my Prism hasn't had any issues whatsoever, I'll drive.
    Me: That's cause it's a Toyota with Geo labels on the outside.
    Friend: I got a Toyota for thousands less than a Corolla AND all I'm missing is the nameplate.
    Me: good deal!, but I can beat you in a race when my car is running!
    Friend: "When" is the key word there.

I stuck with that car for a long long time through many repairs. I kept thinking, now that THAT is fixed, what else could go wrong? Well, something always answered me with failure when I asked that question within 4 months. I think I had it almost 6 years, but could never get it past 65,000 miles. Had to get rid of it when it required its 4th tow truck lift at that mileage of 65K.

Chrysler did not offer to contribute to the head gaskets at 42K, the AC compressor and system at 36.1K, nor the auto tranny rebuild at 60K. Had they paid for those 3 things, I may have had a different attitude.
    So you're basing your opinion of Chrysler's 2010 offerings on a 15 year old Neon...? I had some truly bad Fords in the early 90s, but I don't base my opinions of their 2010 products on that.

That's the same mindset of people who dismiss 2010 diesels because they had a 1979 Oldsmobile diesel. Time to look at current offerings with a bit more of an open mind.

However, a Caliber is just a Neon with another name. Same flawed design and engineering.

The same tactics and shananigans have not changed at Chrysler.

Also, it may be a 15 year old Neon today, but it's a memory of less than 10 years old from when I last drove it.

All I have to do is open up CR to see how Chrysler is doing, just a bunch of black dots last I looked.
    And until this year, CR had Toyota right up there with sliced bread. I never found them too credible.

I've found CR to always be credible. Funny you mention Toyota. I can vouch for their flawlessness. They were the OPPOSITE of the Chrysler experience.

Camry = NO VISITS to the shop under warranty, flawless to 100,000 miles (only routine maintenance).
    4 Runner = NO VISITS to the shop under warranty, flawless to 100,000 miles.
    Another Camry = again, no visits required to fix anything under warranty (vehicle currently only has 74,000 miles though).
    My brother's T100 was never in the shop, he'd rub it in when my Neon was (you should of got a Corolla he said).
    His Tundra after that T100 was also flawless.

All of these Toyota's deserved a full line of all fully red dots and got them from CR. The Neon deserved a full line of all fully black dots and got them from CR. Seems pretty credible to me.
  • biancarbiancar Posts: 913
    Doc kent, have you considered the Subarus at all? The top of the line Outback 3.6 is very nice.

That and the Volvo V70 were the two I most strongly considered in my recent search. I ended up going with the Volvo, but that is FWD, not AWD, so maybe not what you want. With the deals on Volvo right now, price was competitive with the Subaru.

The car I most loved, as in immediate heart-felt lust, was the Infiniti EX35. However, prudence once again won out. If you need a large back seat, neither the EX nor the slightly larger FX will likely do it for you, but man, what a sweet, sweet ride. Absolutely loved it. It's more of a sports car with some utility than it is a utility car with some sport, though. IF I ever trade in my Z and decide I don't want a convertible as a second car any more - which will not be happening anytime soon - the EX would be a great replacement.
  • chris_norcalchris_norcal Posts: 5
    edited July 2010
    Manual, AWD, GPS Navagation, and "fast" wagon ( 0 to 60 MPH at under 6.5 seconds)...can these four be purchased for $40K new?

I drive a Titan 4WD pickup, so all these should handle better than my pu? maybe even more reliable?
  • doc_kentdoc_kent Posts: 2
    edited July 2010
    Anyone know much about the new Cadillac CTS wagon? MPG still sucks and the price is steep, but otherwise looks OK and it's American. Maybe if the Audi A6 Avant can last another year or 2 (it only has 180K on it) I can get a used CTS wagon for an affordable price.
    Looked at the Honda Crosstour. Nice, but strange looking and not really a wagon. The Toyota Venza seems to have less cargo room than the Audi (as do all those so-called "crossovers"). Looked at the Lincoln MKZ (not a wagon but has a big trunk) and may look at the Ford Fusion--same car I think. Was kind of excited about the Buick LaCrosse AWD but read it handles like, well, a Buick.
    I don't want or need mega horsepower or neck-snapping acceleration. Perfectly happy with the wife's Toyota Solara 4-banger. And no offense to the previous poster, Chris, but a built-in Nav system strikes me as dumb. A $2000 built-in option that will be obsolete in 3 years. I'd rather spend $200 every 3 years for a new Garmin.
    So any more ideas?
2»