Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,208
    I drove a Fusion hybrid a while back. There's a graphic on the instrument panel that shows a plant growing the "greener" you're driving.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,275
    ...and the green weenies pay more attention to hypermiling than driving, creating all sorts of traffic backups and problems.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    Not to mention inflating their tires to anywhere from 50-100 psi when the tire clearly says not to exceed 44 (e.g.) for safety. They are basically playing a video game with a 2 ton moving vehicle just for bragging rights.
    Eeek! They're lucky their tires doesn't blow up in their faces sending rubber and steel shrapnel flying.
    They actually claim to be running 100 psi, and getting no tire wear problems and fantastic mileage. Apparently they think the tire companies are just funning when they put that max psi thing on there. I think Darwin will take care of them eventually.
    If those tires explode with 100 psi in them, I hope they, (or should I say their estates) don't plan on sueing the tire manufacturers or whatever manufacturer of the vehicle they were once bolted to!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 34,338
    Knowing this society, they'll both sue and win.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    We still have Findlay Lincoln as a stand alone dealer in Las Vegas, and they are doing quite well actually.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,676
    I would bet he is in the minority of dealers...no hard evidence on my part, just assuming...
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,444
    Funny thing with the Lincoln dealer up in Wayne, NJ. They advertise that they are the largest Lincoln dealer in NJ. My guess is they may be the only Lincoln dealer here. That cleverly leaves out all the Ford-Lincoln dealers.
    I think Lincoln is making some great Buicks right now, and a Lincoln dealer in a good market can do alright with the current lineup, but smaller dealers can't yet, and so many have been closed or combined with Ford dealers, which doesn't really work for me. The level of service between the Ford stores and the Lincoln stores, at least where I've lived, (Nevada, Florida, Illinois) and if I drove a Lincoln, I really appreciated the respect the Lincoln dealer gave, free loaners, etc. The Ford stores treat you pretty ordinary down to pretty badly, IMO. I'm hoping that Mullaly does inprove the Lincoln lineup to include some RWD cars with big horsepower, to bring the brand back up to Cadillac's level of competition. Then the dealers should do quite well everywhere. I drove Lincolns for 16 years after Cadillac started building crap (1985 on), and I didn't leave Lincoln, they left me just as Cadillac had before. I don't like Cadillac now, because their cars are just too small. They are fast, good looking and pretty well built, but still trouble prone and SMALL. IMO, anyway.
    Ford is requiring remaining Lincoln dealers to provide a totally separate upgraded facility just for Lincoln customers with dedicated sales staff, etc. The investment requirements are at least $1M.

They have the right plan and they have the focus to implement it. How successful it will be remains to be seen and will depend on how quickly the dealers can be changed and how good the new vehicles are.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,444
    I'm waiting to see what our local Ford-Lincoln guy does. He's got the cash but his lot it pretty well maxed out. He could empty the pre-owned building or buy up a dead dealership up the road and gut and rebuild it.
    Or drop Lincoln altogether. I expect Ford to get even bigger over the next few years.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 905
    There is a stand alone Lincoln dealer by me. Old school place, room for three or four cars in the showroom, paneling on the walls, most inventory in a lot across a busy street. Only dealer in that part of town, everyone else has built new dealerships in the suburbs.

I've taken my LS there a few times, real nice people, competent mechanics, I'll miss the place when it inevitably shuts down or merges with the Ford dealer.
    That's just the way the former Lincoln dealer I used to buy from was. It was family owned, people had worked there for decades, very little turnover, very low pressure, tons of word of mouth referrals, incredible service, always loaner cars for anything, great deals on new cars. Then the owner died, and the widow sold the store to a big local dealership family. It all went to hell after that, they are still a stand alone dealer, and do a pretty good volume even with just Lincoln, but the way they do business is very typical "big dealer" now. The personal touch is gone. It's too bad. Brand new store, but I'd prefer the old beat to death store the previous owner had any day.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I am so glad Ford dropped Mercury. With this extra cash and production capability I see Ford dropping some cash and resources into Lincoln in this coming decade. I place a good bet you will see all new Lincoln models in the next 5 years. My bet will be an entry level luxo sports sedan available in 2 and 4 door and even a convertible. Priced about 30-35K. I would also bet you see a 2 door sports coupe, a new luxo entry SUV. Ford needs Lincoln as its luxury unit. I believe Ford is positioning Lincoln as a Cadillac/BMW/Lexus/Mercedes/Acura/Infiniti fighter.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,972

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

I'm afraid its going to be a very long journey on a late flight. The cars are not unique enough from Ford or other competitor's, sometimes cramped and often mediocre in gas mileage. A lot of luxury buyers wrote them off years ago. They probably made a big mistake canceling the Town Car since they could have used the fleet revenue to put into new product down the line.
    OMG! For the 500th time......the CURRENT Lincolns are NOT the future Lincolns. We haven't seen the future Lincolns yet. Can we at least wait until they're revealed before we start bashing them?
    Oh, I believe you when you say Ford has some nice Lincoln stuff on the way. You're always pretty knowledgeable about them. But they need to get it moving and expedited. Its going to have to be some knock outs because Ford let Lincoln lie for way too long. Over time the glow of avoiding BK is going to fade. Lincoln also has to decide if its going to compete in the Buick or Cadillac market segment, or both. Still think letting the Town Car stop at the same time Mercury went away may not have been a good decision because that division needs cash to get things moving (and no, personally I'm not a TC fan).
    Dropping the Town Car was a ferocious mistake from my point of view.
    I wish what they did was kept the Town Car and modernized it along with the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. Ford had three cars on my car-shopping A-list, now it has none. There is not one car in Lincoln's lineup I would take over any of their foreign or domestic competition.
    But they need to get it moving and expedited

I disagree. Ford is nicely profitable now with just the Ford brand. They could kill Lincoln and be just fine.

What they need to do is take their time and do it the right way. And that's what they appear to be doing, starting with cleaning up the dealer network. They hired a team of 85 people just to oversee and manage this turnaround and they came from other luxury mfrs like Audi, Lexus, MB, etc.

They seem to be purposely starving Lincoln to cull the herd before they start building up again.

It does seem to be clear that while Lincoln will continue to use Ford platforms they will not be recognizable like some of the current efforts.
    Most Panther buyers never bought new ones anyway - they wait and buy them used.

Name ONE other mfr that still builds body on frame CARS, much less luxury brands. There is a reason for that.
    Somebody has to buy them new. :)

I dunno, GM seems to be making money from their revamping of Cadillac.

They seem to be purposely starving Lincoln to cull the herd before they start building up again

As long as they don't starve the dealer base out of business at the same time. Co-locating Lincoln and Ford would be a huge mistake and water down the Lincoln brand. further

Ford is nicely profitable now with just the Ford brand. They could kill Lincoln and be just fine.

Maybe, but those large luxury car profit margins generate some nice cash flow in an otherwise cutthroat business. Also, wealthy buyers are more likely to be there during significant economic downturns. Trucks have been a great ride, but if gas keeps going up that segment is going to loose a lot of its profitabililty and cash generation down the road.
    Rental fleets...then sold to livery fleets and bargain hunter private buyers.

Which body on frame Caddy passenger cars are leading them to success?
    From my link:

"Lincoln sales advanced by less than 4 percent over the Great Recession year of 2009. That compared with a 35-percent gain by Cadillac and a 28-percent increase for Infiniti.

there’s no denying that GM’s efforts to forge a new Cadillac largely have paid off."

Certainly Caddy has seen a rebirth, but it's not from old timey cars like the TC.

Without the CTS, and in cheaper gas times the Escalade, it wouldn't be happening. There's no big old BOF Fleetwood anymore.
    The point is that GM made a go of it, and Ford likely has a luxury base that would still be attracted to Lincoln, if they don't starve the brand much longer.