Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,666
    SUVs is the matter of safety and protection...I think women feel safer in an elevated vehicle, so when approached by some homeless slob in a parking lot who hasn't bathed in a month, they feel safer than if they were sitting in a Corvette three inches off the ground...plus you can easier hide a 357 magnum while inside the SUV, whereas such would be difficult in a Vette...

Also, I would feel safer in a collision if I had the SUV and the other driver had the Miata, rather than the other way around...carry capacity for Home Depot is simply a bonus...all this worked really well when gas was under 2 bucks a gallon...
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Not really - I figure my personal sample size is probably a thousand give or take, I know and talk to a quite a bit of people about cars, trucks and UVs. And this does not include the responses back from surveys my company has sent out, I mean, we do supply components to the industry, as well as heavy truck; some do drive UVs and the like. Should I email this list of people I know, have met and continue to meet (may take a little bit but is doable)?

May I ask how many have you sampled in that time frame?

And no, just not talking about the blingy-bling. And to repeat yet again, which by the way is kind of a grind, just because you and your wife got your Nav due to it's size, ability to swallow large loads or number of people and actually used it's size and ability doesn't mean everyone else who bought one, or a vehicle like it, did so for the same. Myself and others here are telling you that's simply not true, and as usual, you got your britches in a bunch because people disagreed. And in terms of an "it" vehicle, isn't the CUV the "it" vehicle now, just as the full-size trucks / SUVs were (as well as the extra-large versions), just as the Explorer-size SUVs were, the minivans before that, the station wagons before that... and other vehicles in other classes? Each class of vehicle has / had an "it" vehicle, a vehicle folks wanted that may have met all their needs, some of their needs, maybe none of their needs, but that vehicle was the thing to have at the time. And sorry again, was just trying to keep it Lincoln, you know, stay with the theme of the topic, but you brought up Expedition (which the Nav is) and Suburban / Tahoe in a previous response so I included all as well.

In terms of giving you approval, I really could give a fu-man-chu what you like, buy, drive, rent, whatever. As long as you're happy with your purchase I'm ecstatic - I'm not making your payment nor loaning you the money to buy it, why should I care or give approval? :confuse:

You're trying to accuse me of making assumptions, which in the end is something you're doing. Usually the back and forth discussions are pretty good but this has gotten to be really boring and way off-topic of the forum - you can respond if you like but I'm moving on. Happy hunting ;)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    I'm not the one making derogatory assertions about other people's motivations and intentions.

George Carlin said "Anyone who drives slower than me is an idiot. Anyone who drives faster than me is a maniac." I think the same analogy applies here.
    Except that I think Carlin used terms a little more colorful than "idiot" and "maniac"... ;)
    I'm pretty sure those were the words he used - I think he just added some adjectives in front of them.......
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,240
    that the old "I Hate SUVs - What's Your Excuse" (or some such) board is still alive in the hearts of many. It got pretty lively too.

There are those who need enclosed trucks and those who want to drive the trendy vehicle of the day -- I'd go with about a 1 to 5 ratio.

Station wagons came and went, minivans came and went, SUVs came and it looks like they might have, well, gone.

Time will tell.
    So, the question remains...what do folks in the future use to transport familes with 3 children, or 1 child plus 2 in-laws, Fido, and luggage for 5(assuming Mom & Dad occupy the front seats)...the 60s had station wagons, SUVs and minivans are dead...do they use Mini-Coopers with U-Haul trailers behind them???...are the trailers equipped with heat and A/C???
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,240
    I think the full-size SUV will stick around, much as it did before it became trendy. The Chev Suburban was called a Mormon Cadillac in my part of the world for 40 years for a reason -- at one time it was the only thing that made sense if there were six kids in the family.

That 5:1 ratio I referred to earlier means that ~85% of the market may well go away, but the folks who always needed them will probably still be able to get them. Minivans are still available, and God knows they were never trendy & have been shunned by a large fraction of the auto-buying public for the past 10-15 years -- I think they were okay for the first few years before they developed the dreaded "suburban drone" image. Station wagons too, but to a lesser extent -- in Europe they're all over the place.
    Allow me to followup...if 85% of the market goes away, then everyone else is fighting over 15% of the market...is there enough demand to keep making them, esp when gas gets back to $4.00 a gallon???
    Sure, but there won't be enough volume to justify a dedicated or one-off platform like the current Expedition. It will most certainly end up being a virtual F150 super crew clone with an enclosed rear and 3rd row seats. Front end, interior and powertrains will all be shared. This will make them viable even at low volumes.
  • bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
    Lincoln has surprised me with all of their current offerings..

I see Lincoln moving upmarket, as soon we get a proper RWD Lincoln flagship :shades:
    As reported in other topics, the rumor is that Lincoln will get a 450 hp coupe or sedan built off of the Falcon platform (RWD). I expected to see it at the Detroit auto show but it wasn't there. Maybe New York or Chicago.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 894
    That sounds cool. Can't wait to see that. :shades:
  • Rumor here is is that Ford will trade Volvo to Volkswagen for Bentley. So Lincoln will have a performance coupe derived from the Continental GT to better compete with Cadillac and the high end imports. I thought that a Chinese co wanted to purchase Volvo. Who knows?
  • Geeley already bought Volvo just waiting to complete the paperwork and accounting.
    That's what I thought but didn't say anything in case I missed something.
  • It figures .Too good to be true. Oh well.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    Is it reasonable to expect a brand new Town Car design soon? Anybody know of subcontractors making new parts for a new TC? Glass providers and dash board manufacturers - could they not provide a hint?

Getting close to buying something, but right now it won't be a warmed over '98.
    TC is a dead man walking. They've already announced the plant shutdown in another year or two. Whatever is available now is all you're going to get - and you better get it soon.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,515
    Just treat yourself and buy the Jag...you know you want it :P