Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,927
    edited January 2013
    "The revival of the Lincoln brand takes a major step Monday with the unveiling of the MKC crossover, the smallest vehicle to ever carry the Lincoln name, but a large piece of Ford's strategy to return its remaining luxury brand to prominence.

It's no accident that the first two products of what Lincoln says will be four all-new vehicles over the next four years are a midsize sedan -- the MKZ -- and the compact MKC. The growth in the luxury market is fueled by younger buyers looking for smaller, fuel-efficient and affordable status symbols.

The MKC won't go on sale until 2014, but the concept that will be shown Monday at the 2013 North American International Auto Show will be very close to the production car."

MKC crossover part of Ford's strategy to reinvigorate Lincoln (Detroit Free Press)
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Finally we get to see Max Wolff's future direction for Lincoln. I think this is a stunning vehicle that shares nothing with the Escape - even the wheelbase is different. Shorter front and rear overhangs really give it an aggressive look.

Change the glass roof to a BAMR and replace the seats with the MKZ seats and I think you have the production version.

The hood and front grille are especially striking.

Drivetrains were not announced yet but I expect a 2.0L Hybrid for max fuel economy and a 2.7L EB putting out over 300 hp and torque as the top engine when it hits production.

Adding that hood and grille to the MKZ would be a big boost IMO.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,419
    I wouldn't call it stunning, but it is certainly well within the pack right now. I think it is sharp. I wonder though what the competition will be with 2015 models. (One of these articles says the MKC will not be released before 2016, which CANNOT be right, and the other says the 2014 calendar year, which implies 2015 model).

I really like how they have integrated a new family look into a whole different vehicle type from the MKZ. It copies no one but Lincoln. Now, if they would only re-do the Nav in this style, with new engines, and soon.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,927
    The hood and front grille are especially striking.

The grill has a winged victory look about it.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 892
    Looks really nice. I like it..
    Should be out no later than early spring next year. Just like the "spy" shots and articles showing a rebadged Escape - don't believe everything you read.
    Well, spring next year will make it a 2015 model.

It has essentially the same grill as the MKZ, which is not a bad thing. That's obviously the new new new Lincoln grill.

Wonder why they didn't just put the same horizontal bars on the 2013 MKS and MKT grill re-do's?
    The grille is more upright on the MkC and the hood character lines extend into the grille and I think that's what makes it look so much better than the laid back flat hood and grille on the MKZ. Had Wolff had more time with the MKZ I bet that's what it would look like too.

I don't think they wanted to debut the new grille on an existing vehicle.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,000
    So why in the hell is it taking Lincoln so long to launch this vehicle?
    Because they only started working on it 12-18 months ago.
    And why the hell is that??

Seriously, I see the differences you point out, Allen, but I do not think they are significant enough to register with most people. The MKZ and MKC look like relatives in a way that the rest of the line does not.
    Why did they just start working on it 18 months ago? Gee, I don't know - maybe because that's when they finally got Ford securely profitable and could afford to move forward with the Lincoln revamp?
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,068
    Bleagh! Another stupid SUV/crossover! That grille reminds me more of an Oldsmobile than a Lincoln.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,068
    Heck, I never associated the word reliability with European cars!
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,599
    Bleagh! Another stupid SUV/crossover!

But that's what sells.
    Exactly. The SRX is easily Cadillac's biggest seller. Same for the Lexus RX. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean everybody else feels the same way.

You gotta build what the customers want to buy or you'll be out of business.
    Agreed. Plus, the feedback on polls is showing that most people are pleasantly surprised and delighted by the design.
    I've been told it will launch 4Q2013, not 2014.

Also - the designers are busy changing the MKZ to reflect this more aggressive design language which will distance it even more from the Fusion.

All good news for Lincoln.
  • keystonecarfankeystonecarfan Posts: 181
    edited January 2013
    As others have noted, that is what people are buying. Isn't the Cadillac SRX the best-selling Cadillac right now? It seems to be the most popular new Cadillac, based on what I see on the road.

No luxury brand can afford to be without one of these in its line-up.