Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where Is Ford taking the Lincoln Motor Company?

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    How well would their latest design sell had it contained a 5.4 V8 with a 6 speed tranny?

The 4.6L was capable of producing SO MUCH more HP & Torque than it was tuned to put out, it would have more than done the job of making that T/C a hot rod Lincoln - of course, MPG would have been sacrificed. The InTech version got 300 HP in the old Continental and Aviator. The 5.4L wasn't necessary.
    So true, Fintail. The 97 T/C was the high-water mark to me. Most beautiful, had an actual luxury interior, and beautiful stylilng. Everyone I know thought the 98 was ruined, inside and out. It was purposefully made for the livery market, with plenty of room for the taxi meter in the middle of the front dash, (that long ugly dash). The leather in the seats was pathetically cheap compared to the 95-97, well, I could go on about the de-contenting that went on, even as far as eliminating the keypad on the door, which Ford has tried to do countless times, to the protests of their loyal customers. (Although, other than my wife, I don't know anybody who uses the dang thing anymore).

Yes, they would give a lot for a car that sold like those old T/Cs. However, I don't look at that ad as portraying the 97 as a relic - notice they don't show a 98 + in that Ad, even they know it sucked. I see it more as an evolution from their best "effort", to the new iteration....
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,497
    At my first real job out of school, my boss had a 96-97 or so TC (was only maybe 5 years old then) that had very nice plush seating - not a fun ride for a younger driver, but it had an air of class about it. It was also a pretty silvery blue, which probably gave me a favorable impression. Modern Ford leather seems to be paper thin and not premium feeling.

You might be right about the commercial, maybe I saw the fire breathed on the old car as negative. Those refreshed 90s TCs were a modern pinnacle, IMO. The whale models that followed were a step down, especially the later variants. Earlier TCs were improved as the design aged, the last was not.
    Ford started turning the Lincoln Leather around in 2010 and 2011, Bridge of Weir I think it's called, and it's a HUGE difference - as it should be. It was pathetic before.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,665
    The Town Car and Crown Vic were fine vehicles in their day but the market changed to unibody vehicles and no amount of updating would have fixed that. The people who really liked them would buy them used anyway.

I think the new MKS (on a stretched CD4 platform) will finally be competitive but there simply isn't a very big market for large sedans. The market is moving to small and mid-sized cars and crossovers.
    I think the new MKS (on a stretched CD4 platform)

Please elaborate???
    Rumor is they are going to stretch the CD4 platform (Fusion/MKZ) and possibly widen it as the new platform for the Taurus and MKS replacing the current D3 platform that just isn't well suited to sedans. So MKS becomes a slightly bigger version of the MKZ just like ATS/CTS.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    I dunno. I use that keypad when the battery in my remote gets weak. Yes, I did like the 1997 Lincoln Town Car as well and believe it was the high-water mark for that model. They similarly deconted the Mercury Grand Marquis as well.
    The leather in my Grand Marquis might as well be thick vinyl. I can see a vast gulf between the quality of the leather in the Grand Marquis vs. my 2007 Cadillac DTS. Heck, even the old leather in my 1989 Cadillac Brougham seems richer though it feels wafer thin.
    edited May 2013
    ...from the 1960s showing captains of industry alongside their Continentals. The Lincoln was once truly a rich successful man's car. Heck, one could feel like a CEO in one of those Continentals even if one was just a cubicle dweller. Today's Lincolns make one feel like a cubicle dweller who paid too much to lease a gussied-up Ford even if one actually was a CEO.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    "Today's Lincolns make one feel like a cubicle dweller who paid too much to lease a gussied-up Ford even if one actually was a CEO."

It would be interesting to know how many Fortune 500 CEOs drive Lincolns today. Maybe just one, Alan Mulally. It would also be interesting to know how many drive Cadillacs. Even though GM has not yet reentered the Fortune 500 (although it's expected to), my guess is that more CEOs drive Cadillacs than Lincolns. I imagine, though, that most drive MBs, BMWs, Audis or Lexuses. A few may drive Porsches or Ferraris, or even Corvettes and Teslas.

The important thing for Lincoln, though, is the future. Will more CEOs be driving Lincolns in, say, five years?
    I did a Google search of "What do CEOs of Fortune 500 companies drive, but only found a list of what CEOs drive. Here it is:

Gary Kelly, Southwest Airlines: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera (bought used)

Dan Amos, Aflac: 2007 Volvo XC90

Dixon Thayer, I-trax (health care facilities): 1986 Ford F-250

Phil Libin, EverNote (technology company): Lexus GS 450h

Adam Selig, Visible Technologies (brand management): 2006 Mercedes-Benz CLK

Robert Stacy, Asia Media Products: 2007 Porsche Cayman

Henry Givray, SmithBucklin (association management): Audi A8

Craig Hunt, KeysCaribbean Resorts: 1997 Land Rover Defender

Kris Singh, Holtec (energy company): 2003 Lexus LS 430 and unknown 2007 Mercedes-Benz AMG

Debbie McGrath, HR.com: 1993 Oldsmobile Silhoutte

Bob Peterson, Melton Truck Lines: Toyota Camry

Raul Fernandez, ObjectVideo: 2007 Maserati Quattroporte

Dean Cubley, ERF Wireless: Mercedes-Benz SL 500 (That’s a roughly-$100,000 car. The company has yet to turn a profit.)

I don't know anything about Debbie McGrath, but I do know she's not a show-off. Well, at least she drive a Oldsmobile, and not a lowly Chevy. More interesting than what she drives, is why she drives it. For annonymity, maybe, or to prove she has nothing to prove? The Silhoutte is a brilliant choice for reducing your chance of being carjacked.
    I assume that list is from ~2007? And for most of those, I'd wager my life the listed car isn't the only car in the household. If 1986 Ford truck guy is married, I'd wager his wife was driving a new Escalade or Lexus SUV. Or that Camry guy also has a Corvette hanging around for nice days. Or that all of them have expensed-off company cars.

For HR.com, maybe an organization as useless sounding only produces enough revenue to fund an old Silhouette? :shades:
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I agree that this list is pretty useless and doesn't represent the truth. Infact, it raises more questions than it answers.

Well, Dean Cubley's "SL 500", and whose company has yet to turn a profit, may be for real. Still, what year is his MB? Also, is the car a company expense, which adds to whatever losses are accruing?

And we don't know what year that Camry is, either.
    edited May 2013
    The year of the data also important - all of those are older cars now affordable to many people. But in 2007, not so much.

SL500 would be before 2007, anyway.

Thinking of all that, a friend of mine's father was a senior engineer at a company, made very good money, had a gorgeous house, had a new 40K+ car expensed to the company,etc . They also had a well-used ~75 Chevy pickup for junk hauling. Would look good for those stats. On that note, the Silhouette and Camry were probably there to be used by the hired help.

I personally know one VP at my employer (which employs tens of thousands) - probably making a very healthy mid 6 figures. He and his wife get a new Volvo wagon or CUV every 5 or so years. The director of my group, one step below VP and certainly into 6 figures as well, is a stereotypical schmoozing old fratboy, and drives a 5er. Shocking!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,321
    edited May 2013
    Those who can afford the SLR camera often use a PAS because their interest is not photography. Those who just want to get from A to B lean to Fusions & Foci while the car guy will drive the sportyist vehicle he can finance.

Submit to the limit. ;)
    Bill Gates' daily driver is said to be an old Lexus LS400.
    Ross Perot's car was an early 1980s Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency.
    Sam Walton drove an old Ford F-150.
    My wife's boss is chaufferred around in a Lexus LS460L.
  • gregg_vwgregg_vw Posts: 2,415
    "Lincoln will grow in 2017. The Aviator name will come back..., a new Navigator will arrive, as will two cars called MKM and MKA."

That is a full three to four model years from now, but it does indicate that the new new Lincoln Motor Company team has finally gotten the memo that they need to pump much greater resources into their products if they are to be competitive, a hard lesson Cadillac learned earlier. Unfortunately, it takes three years to do a significant line-up revamp. But they are on the right road now.

An aside: beginning to see some MKZs on the road. In the metal, I think the Fusion actually has better looks.
    That's why I bought the Fusion instead. I actually like it better. The MKZ nose needs to look more like the MKC concept.

Don't put a lot of stock in that article. Insiders are saying it's full of inaccuracies, although everyone agrees an Aviator is coming.
    I can see a vast gulf between the quality of the leather in the Grand Marquis vs. my 2007 Cadillac DTS

Really? Cadillac vs. Mercury? Shouldn't the Cadillac be "top of the line"?