Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Discovery Transmission Woes

chrisusvichrisusvi Member Posts: 3
edited August 2014 in Land Rover
I have a 1997 Land Rover Discovery with 69,534 miles on it. I just got it about a month ago. I was driving home and I was going up a hill and the vehicle started to rumble a little as the vehicle began to slow down. I pressed the gas a little more and the car was bucking lightly. The RPM guauge was revving really high, so I pulled over, tried to put in 4 wheel drive to help it along and nothing. I shut the vehicle off for about 1-2 minutes. Started it back up again and put it in 'drive' and it ran fine for about 2 miles and started to slow down again. I stopped for about a minute or so, started the vehicle again and it ran for another mile or so. I repeated this til I got home.
I am hoping that the transmission is still good and this is a minor problem. My gut feeling is that the torque converter has gone bad. Big Money!

I need some input on this, please!

Thanks.

chrisusvi

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Your question is more likely to read if you post it in the main Land Rover Discovery/Discovery II discussion. I would also recommend Transmission Traumas?.

Good luck!

tidester, host
  • cv14cv14 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 Disco with 144,000 miles on it. It is perfect in EVERY way- and I have had absolutely no trouble with it. I have done only regular maintainence. However at about 75,000 the anti-lock brake light came on. I took it to the service center (I use a Land Rover only service center, but not the dealer) and was told that it is a common problem with LR and not to worry about it. Should I be concerned?
  • lulu9698lulu9698 Member Posts: 1
    I started my 2002 Land Rover Disco up Thursday and the Sport mode and Manuel mode lights started blinking simultaneously. When I excelled, it felt as if the my automatic transmission lost power. Moreover, I was unable to get my key out of the ignition until I unconnected the battery. What's up? My local Land Rover dealer said it’s probably the transmission and it may cost as much as $8,000.00. You can keep the car at that cost.
  • hawkeye57hawkeye57 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 Range rover HSE. I have had a problem since I bought it but no one has properly diagnosed it. It appears to be a resistance noise, like a short thump at acceleration between 0 and 5 miles per hour. It feels like a dragging noise, perhaps like the brakes are holding the discs for a short second. At times you can even feel it slightly through the front floorboard.
    I have been diagnosed from brakes which I replaced to transmission to trans box to no avail. Of course the dealer does not hear it, only every one else.
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you
  • snowbunnysnowbunny Member Posts: 1
    i JUST BOUGHT A USED 2001 RANGE 5DAYS AGO AND ITS ALREADY BACK WITH THE DEALER... WHATS UP WITH THAT!! I HAVE LOVED THIS CAR FOREVER AND FINALLY BOUGHT ONE AND IT STARTED SPUTTERING 3 DAYS AFTER I DROVE IT OFF THE LOT-I PUT 87 OCTANE(REGULAR)GAS IN IT AND AM WONDERING IS THAT THE REASON OR SPARK PLUG ISSUES...ANYONE????.... :mad:
  • madelynmadelyn Member Posts: 2
    What was the final deal with this problem? Mine is having very similar problems (2001 Disco) and my local mechanic is stumped. Not looking forward to the trip to the dealer...
  • manuhmanuh Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I had a same problem a couple of months ago but now it seems ok. Could you please let me know what was the problem exactly and what did you do to fix it. Appreciate it, Tks!
  • manuhmanuh Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Is it still working ok. My worries are similar
  • mnorthmnorth Member Posts: 1
    seems the 4 w shifter popped out, cant seem to get it low or high car wont move more than one ft forward or backward feels like emer. brake is on
  • exlandroverexlandrover Member Posts: 2
    DISCO 2 97 K. TAPPING NOISE WHEN AT OPERATING TEMP. HELP?
  • branmanbranman Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem today and it turned out tha the transfer gear box shifter had popped out of gear and caused the car to grind and almost go nowhere. I thought I was going to have to get a new transmission. There was also a high whinning noise as well and I opened the upper plug on the transfer gear box and found out that there was almost no 80/90 weight gear oil in it as well. This seems to be a common problem with the Land Rovers.
  • sdkochsdkoch Member Posts: 4
    This same thing happened to me tonight exactly as you describe it. I had it in sport mode (2000 Discovery II with 50,000 mi) and then the M came on and started to blink and then the Service Engine light came on. My transmission acted up for a minute so I pulled over and restarted the truck. It was fine then but the service engine light stayed on. Then when I got home, I briefly turned it off to take some things out of the back and when I tried to restart it it would not turn over at all. Then a couple hours later I came back and it started just fine with no engine lights on at all now....anyone else experience this? I am taking it to an independent Landrover mechanic on Monday.
    I replaced the battery and everything was fine.
    Hi, I cannot afford to ship my 2000 Landrover Discovery II. I want to tow it on a car hauler but Penske says that it is 500 lbs too heavy. Has anyone ever towed their Landrover Discovery II on a car hauler?
  • john446john446 Member Posts: 1
    iam unable to select high or low gears on my disco feels like nothing is ther
  • carfreak16carfreak16 Member Posts: 1
    yes i have and they are lying through their teeth i towed my disco on a full car trailer so they should let you as well. now most companies hate towing LR's because its a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] to them so yeah tell them you want a full car trailer for it
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    That is totally BS.

I've towed tons on a full car trailer... including a Disco 2 - no issues at all, other than I had to ask them to fine tune the inertia brakes because I thought they were coming on too late..
  • rbergerberge Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Discovery and it won't click all the way into park. It goes into park, but not enough to where the steering wheel locks & I can get the key out. Can I fix this problem myself without paying anything or paying someone to fix it? I don't have alot of money right now, but need to get this fixed. help please.
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    You didn't mention if it was a Disco Series 2 or 1 (both were sold in 1999)?

Sounds like a shift lock pin or one of the other pins and gates in the top end of the shifter. There's a lot of nylon bushes in there can can get old and crack... probably a good time to have it all redone if you have it apart.

Get yourself a good shop manual and have at 'er.

Pretty simple repair...

Try calling Rovers North for some advice or check their website for a blown up diagram... they're usually pretty good at helping you out over the phone, but you better have at least the top part of the shifter assembly apart or you'll be wasting their time.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-327-levers-linkage.aspx
This discussion has been closed.