Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 Real World MPG

gis514gis514 Posts: 4
edited April 27 in Volvo
I have a 2006 XC90 2.5t mpg non AWD model now with with 1500 miles on it. I'm getting around 13 mpg in the city and 23 mpg on the highway. My problems is that 95% of my driving is in the city. I have 1500 miles now. The city mileage truly sucks. The highway miles however are as advertised or a bit better 23.5mpg. I'm looking for someone who shares my issue and found a dealer fix for it. I called volvo and was told to wait until 5000 miles to allow the engine to break in. Not satisfied with this advise, I called the service mgr and scheduled a fuel consumption test. They basically checked the computer for faults and checked for fuel leaks. They then filled my tank and took it for a road test. Guess where they road tested it? You guessed it, on the
highway (23 mpg). I was told to monitor the next 3 full tank
fills/odometer/trip reading and do manual calculations. Then, if still
not satisfied, take it back with receipts for further eval. I'm on my third tank from full to empty and get 13.2mpg. Has anyone found a dealer fix for this?

Comments

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,109
    You'll be much more likely to get feedback from other XC90 owners if you post your question in the main Volvo XC90 SUV discussion.

tidester, host
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    As a Volvo sales consultant,I often drive new XC90s....With a light foot,i usually get 24mpg(really!) around the suburbs. Clients,who are usually testing acceleration,get about 18mpg...
  • We live in Miami, Fl. The terrain here is flat and the only hills are the on-ramps into the expressways. City traffic is pretty bad-stop and go. Average city speed in around 20 mph. We also drive with a light foot. I'm looking for possible dealer/technical/programing solutions. The obvious slow acceleration, proper tire inflation, manually checking consumption full to empty, changing gas octane, etc...Have done nothing to improve mpg.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,607
    Fast Eddy! Haven't seen you at the chat lately. Didn't know that you really had switched from teaching to selling cars.

Come over and check out image too.

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Neat site,Steve!....I'll be on often...
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Mileage is a tricky issue.

The XC90 won't be broken in until around the 2-3,000 mile mark.
    Since the car is behaving as advertised on the highway, I doubt anything is wrong with the car itself.

How do you drive the car?
    Do you do alot of short trips?
    Alot of stop and go driving?
    Do you accelerate briskly when you drive?
    What type of fuel are you using?

If you do alot of short trips and stop and go driving, the car isn't going to match the city EPA cycle because that is not how it was tested.
  • Thanks for the input.

We live in Miami, Fl. The terrain here is flat and the only hills are the on-ramps into the expressways. City traffic is pretty bad-stop and go. Average city speed in around 20 mph. We also drive with a light foot. I'm looking for possible dealer/technical/programing solutions. Others are reporting similar issues. Yet some are getting much mileage. The obvious slow acceleration, proper tire inflation, manually checking consumption full to empty, changing gas octane, etc...Have done nothing to improve mpg.
    The car isn't broken.
    @ an average of 20 mph you won't reach EPA numbers.
    The EPA city cycle test is at an average of 30 mph.
  • As per our host's request,
    2004 2.5T AWD 7 seats
    17.0 MPG - city
    22-24 - highway

18 MPG - average with mostly city driving.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,941
    87 octane non-oxygenated, highway 23 mpg @ 70
    93 octane oxygenated/E10, highway 20 mpg @ 70

city mpg with oxygenated, any octane: 17 mpg max, 15 in winter
  • scooterzscooterz Posts: 20
    North East driving
    32 avg. mph (mostly city)
    16 mpg
    87 octane

We have not seen improvement with 93 octane. When having a large percentage of highway use we barely break 18 mpg. Disclaimer is that these numbers are mostly based on trip computer which is reset after each fill up.
  • chomondelychomondely Posts: 15
    2.5 awd, 7 seat, flat land, 146,000 miles so it is broken in.
    I average 22.5 mpg mostly highway burning regular fuel.
  • jccai1jccai1 Posts: 106
    2.5T AWD 7-seat model with 16k miles. Driven in a flat and hot area (no hills but AC always on), usually loaded with 4 people. I get 15-17mpg in the city and 22-23mpg on highways. Not very good mileage for such a small engine, but the car is quite heavy.
  • jccai1jccai1 Posts: 106
    BTW, I always fill it with premium gas.
  • larscalarsca Posts: 60
    I drive a 05 Pilot. It has a 250 (or something around there) hp V6. EPA states city 17, highway 22. I do mostly highway and average 17-18 mpg (14-15 if mostly city) and I drive like a grandpa. So it sounds like the XC 90s in general get pretty darn good milage, 'cause the Pilot's sux!
  • We have an 05 Pilot, and average 18-19 around town, and when we go on a mostly highway trip, we average 22-23 MPG. We also have a Volvo XC90 and average 18 around town and 22 on highway. I am pleased with both vehicles.
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    Hello all:

I will be picking up a 2004 CPO T6 on Wednesday. Got a good deal on a loaded Sapphire Black with 11,800 miles.

Before wading through all 4700 posts, I am wondering what the real life MPG experience has been on the T6.

This is my first Volvo and I am looking forward to owning, driving and learning about the XC 90.
  • I have a T6. I average 20MPG and get more on a run. Drover from Yellowstone and got 24.6 MPG. I have fitted a vortex generator in the air intake which I got from ebay
  • I am thinking of changing from a T6 (discontinued) to a V8 and would like some real MPG info
    John
  • I have 16K on my XC90 and get a little over 19 MPG in mixed driving. In all city driving it goes down to about 14-15 MPG in stop and go. Also no problems with car.
    Em
  • I get around 15-16 in city with the new 07 3.2l 6 cyl... =/ That's what it says on the computer display under "avg" mileage. I believe I have only driven about 200 miles max of 1100 now on the highway.
  • shellzshellz Posts: 34
    I have about 1000 miles on a 2006 XC90 V8. In all city driving, I get about 13 miles per gallon.
  • fluid15fluid15 Posts: 60
    Just bought an '07 3.2L 6 cyl with 28 miles on it. Driving has been approx. 60/40 (highway/city). After using the first full tank of gas the results are:

Calculated mpg: 16.0 (321.8 miles / 20.1 gallons)
    Computer mpg: 17.1

I hope it gets better.
  • albellalbell Posts: 185
    I've had my 04 T6 for a few weeks now, and over the first 1000 miles (80/20 hwy/city) have averaged 21.5 mpg. On the last highway trip (about 110 miles)the trip computer showed 24 mpg. With 12k miles on the odometer, the engine is nicely broken in.
  • jrynnjrynn Posts: 162
    Wife's T5AWD/5seat has recorded this MPG through 7800 miles:

Avg: 16.47 (mostly urban/suburban)
    Worst:13.20
    Best: 24.39(twice) (pure highway)

(All manual calculations)
  • I own a Freestyle, a foot longer vehicle than the XC-90, and sharing the same basic chassis design that Ford borrowed from Volvo. Its interesting that my 203 hp version of the XC-90 gets 20 city / 27 highway, and my real-world results mirror that, while the XC-90 2.5T, with similar power, doesn't quite equal it. Mine is a FWD (not AWD) model, so that's good for 1 MPG more, but that still doesn't explain it. Whats happening inside the XC-90 to soak up that MPG?
    First of all, the Freestyle is much closer in character to the XC70 than XC90.
    The XC90 is bigger, taller, has a larger frontal area, and sits higher off the ground
    It also weighs 4500+ lbs compared to 3900+ lbs for the Freestyle.
    The XC90 is rated @ 17/23 for a fwd.
  • Actually, the Freestyle is slightly larger than the XC-90.
    The XC-90 is taller, though. Here are the numbers:

Exterior XC90 vs. Freestyle
    Length 189.3 in., 199.8 in.
    Width 74.7 in., 74.4 in.
    Height 70.2 in., 65.9 in.
    Weight 4400 lbs. 3900 lbs
    Wheel Base 112.6 in., 112.9 in.
    Ground Clearance 8.9 in., 8 in.
    EPA City/Hiway MPG: 17/23, 20/27

So for a slightly larger (longer) vehicle, the Freestyle is a little lighter and gets better MPG. The extra weight and ineffecient tranny in the XC-90 probably soaks up the MPG. The Freestyle has an efficient CVT tranny. The extra height certainly hurts the MPG as well.
    Freestyle is LONGER, not LARGER.
    Look at the volume stats
    the longer nose on the Freestyle translates to better airflow.
    That, and the lower weight and lower clearance of the Freestyle.
    Bottom line is that they are different vehicles.
  • The XC-90 is taller than the Freestyle, consuming MPG. The Freestyle has the same wheelbase as the XC-90.
This discussion has been closed.