Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Fit

Comments

• thatsmycallthatsmycall Member Posts: 54
    duh, had wrong price 15970+550=$16,520 for Fit vs.15550+610=$16,160 for Versa
  • ludexrludexr Member Posts: 20
    Fit Sport manual - $15170 included underbody kit, spoiler, Security system with remote entry, fog lights, ABS.

Nissan Versa manual - $14850 + $700 convenience package, + $250 ABS, + $700 Sport package = $16500.

The Fit Sport is the best choice for ME; I can’t wait to get the Storm Silver Sport with JDM OEM LED Tail lights that I order.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Fit Sport Auto $16520 including destination.

Versa 1.8 SL with CVT only is $15955 including destination.
    To make the Versa closer to the Fit
    Add ABS $250
    Add Sport Package $700 Forces the need for Conv Pack $700

Total MSRP $17605

Looks like the Fit is actually $1100 less. The Conv. package should not be forced by the Sport package. Even if Nissan did not force is the Versa would be $16905 and would still be about $400 more than the Fit when optioned closely as possibly.
    Those would be the exact options I would want on the Versa so the FitSport manual is cheaper for me also.
  • vchiuvchiu Member Posts: 564
    Looking at those figures, it looks like the Fit and the Versa are pretty close in prices, depending how one value different options.

My choice in China was a bit different. The Versa (named Tiida here) can be up to 6000 USD more. The deal breaker is that it comes with a smaller 1.6 Engine instead of the 1.8 in US version. No wonder the Versa sells maybe 5 times less than the Fit here.

needless to say that an Engine comparable to that of the Fit in a much larger car is unlikely to give comparable performances. The Versa would need at least 1.8 or even 2.0 Engine for me to further consider it.

Considering the Versa in US price +1.8 L engine, I would really have it tested and thouroughly compared with the FIT before making any decision.

I heard (but this needs to be confirmed by testers) that the Versa would have a much quieter cabin.
  • justjulesjustjules Member Posts: 14
    Not to sidetrack the Versa discussion, but I got the chance to sit in a Yaris yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't try to drive it (and surprisingly, the dealership seemingly couldn't care less if anyone drove anything yesterday), but it was comfortable to sit in and had good visibility all around. Strike against: the only driver-accessible cupholders were the ones in the doors, where you wouldn't really want an open cup of coffee. Something I liked: storage. There is storage EVERYWHERE. Little enclosed cubbyholes and open ones, including in the dash where the speedometer really belongs.

To those of you who have seen the Fit in person... what kind of storage is there besides the gove box for your odds and ends?
  • jonniedeejonniedee Member Posts: 111
    "The Fit Sport is the best choice for ME; I can’t wait to get the Storm Silver Sport with JDM OEM LED Tail lights that I order."

Add the factory performance exhaust and Honda 16's and you and I will be driving the same Fit! ;)
  • hungarian83hungarian83 Member Posts: 678
    This is a dumb question, but this will be the first new car I've purchased.
    Is it possible to order these "other market" parts like the LED taillights through the dealership, or did you use another source?

I would like to purchase a set of 14" alloys, and I highly doubt they will be available in the US. They are the alloys standard on the European ES and SE Jazz models. I believe they are also available in Japan. Thanks!
  • ludexrludexr Member Posts: 20
    LED Tail lamp; I don’t think there available at US Honda dealership. I’m importing one from Thailand Honda dealership.
    OEM 14” Honda alloy wheels imported; oversea shipping rate should be about $75-$100 per wheel , you’ll end up spending the same amount if you purchase 16” in US. Or you can find used OEM 14” wheels on Yahoo Auction of Japan or Ebay.
    Try Tirerack.com or Tire.com for aftermarket wheels. They have light weight wheels may be the same weight as OEM 14” wheels.
    24 more days left until April 20.
    Thanks for the info.

It would be more cost effective to just buy the 16" accessory alloys, but I like the more luxurious look of the European Jazz alloys.

http://www.honda.de/content/car/15113_29057_glry.php?page=0
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    The euro wheels is what made me like the Fit at first. I would definitely hope that is an available accessory. The current stock setup makes the Fit pudgy looking and really tacky with the 16inchers. Honda should pick up from Mazda, all their lineup has really nice rims with the Mazda5 as an example.
    Yet another opinion.... :P
    The Honda 16's look HOT on the Fit - they were the best looking Honda factory wheels at the NA show.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Yet another opinion....
    The Honda 16's look HOT on the Fit - they were the best looking Honda factory wheels at the NA show.

Definitely... which is why Honda should honor their ad of "tons of available accessories" so they should make the euro wheels available. I wouldn't mind the 16's so much if they painted it silver and not gray.

I checked Tirerack and what do you guys think of the Borbet Type CA as an alternative? 16's or 15's? =)
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    I'm not sure if anyone posted this already.

1) Honda Fit
    2) Nissan Versa
    3) Kia Rio5
    4) Toyota Yaris
    5) Hyundai Accent
    6) Dodge Caliber
    7) Suzuki Reno

The Fit Sport was listed as such:
    Highs: Overtly sporty handling, classy interior, quick-witted in all its moves.

Lows: Mediocre rear-three-quarter visability, no dead pedal

"What truly set the Fit apart was its handling-Not a pretense of handling but the real deal, with springs and struts that allowed one gentle rebound and no more, the only car here that felt happy storming the switchback. We later confirmed this when the Fit sailed through our lane change test 6 mph faster than anything else here-faster in fact, than a Corvette Z06."

The Verdict: The go-kart of economobiles.

Basically it wasn't even close, the Fit won the test by 25 points. The only other car that was given any cred was the Versa, which is supposed to have good ride quality and a nice back seat. The honda had the highest score in the following categories:

Driver comfort
    Ergonomics
    Fit and Finish
    Interior styling
    Exterior styling
    1/4 mile acceleration
    Fuel economy (tied with Yaris)
    Engine NVH (noise vibration and harshness)
    Transmission
    Performance
    Steering feel
    Brake feel
    Handling
    Ride
    Gotta-have-it-factor
    Fun to drive

- Taken from C&D forum
    Now the wait until April 20 seems even longer away ;)
  • skorskor Member Posts: 3
    I think it's interesting to note that the wheelbase of the current Fit is approximately a wheel-base of Civic 20 years ago. Did car sizes moved up by one since then?
    "Did car sizes moved up by one since then?"

Yes they did. In fact, even faster. My 1987 Accord was about the same size as the 6th generation Civic...that's just 1 decade.

On another note, Honda Canada has a real Fit site up with accessories, build your Fit, etc. I think the US-market accessories should be about the same.
    "On another note, Honda Canada has a real Fit site up with accessories, build your Fit, etc. I think the US-market accessories should be about the same."

Just hopefully not the same prices :mad:
    The sport muffler converts to $573 USD
    and the 16" alloy pkg converts to "gulp" $1142 USD :confuse:
  • johnd15johnd15 Member Posts: 41
    Haven't been able to find detailed color listings for the Fit on the Honda website and my dealer says he has no literature yet. Where are you folks find exterior/interior color info? I have a Fit on order (5 spd Sport) and want to take a look at the options. Want the blue or silver with dark interior (not beige).
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The local Honda dealer said that the older 14 inch Accord Alloys might work as well - he'd have to look at the bolts/mounting when they came in. Said it would be an easy swap for a lot less than the 16 inchers. The Insight's Alloys might also be another option, according to him. Not as nice looking as the Euro alloys, but they appear to be about right - and 165/14 are a LOT cheaper than low-profile 16s.(as in $50 or less on sale, per tire)

That the older Accords used 14 inch alloys with a lot more weight and power - save money - get better handling - get 14 inch alloys instead. The car could probably get by with high-profile 13s in fact.

I also noted on Honda's site that there's a front-passenger airbag override. This isn't standard on many new GM or Ford cars, even. Nice touch.
    My dealer gave me the color list from the internal Honda dealer network. I think the confusion lies in that some sources say the colors are either Beige or Black, while others say either Beige/Black or Black.

If you have the Sport model on order, the only interior color is the black, unless you want Taffeta White exterior, in which you have a choice of Beige or Black.

Here is a link regarding colors that was up a few days ago:
    http://img373.imageshack.us/img373/8130/hondfitcolorsheet25yo.jpg
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    ...and to further confuse the issue, you have to pay attention to where a person is from, when they post information about the Fit's options, as the Canadians have the interior colors of grey and blank, as opposed to the US options of beige and black.

Canada also has the exterior color of alabaster silver (which US doesn't), but not taffeta white (which the US gets).
    By "blank", I meant "black", when referring to Canada's interior color options... sorry!
  • hereticheretic Member Posts: 20
    Ah - silly me - I'm in Alberta - taxes are less.

Site works great.

Fit Base Auto

MSRP: $16,180.00
    Accessories: $0.00
    Freight & PDI: $1,225.00
    Honda Plus: $0.00
    Taxes and Levies $1,239.75
    Total Price: $18,644.75

Fit Sport Auto

MSRP: $20,780.00
    Taxes and Levies $1,668.75
    Total Price: $23,673.75

And for comparison:

Civic Sedan Auto

MSRP: $18,180.00
    Taxes and Levies $1,379.75
    Total Price: $20,784.75
    This just in - I got the US accessory list brochure from my dealer and it clearly states that the sport muffler is M/T only :mad:
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I just spoke to my dealer today to ask about the Fit that I have on order. He said that he had just gotten an update this morning that my car would be in on April 9th! Of course I'll believe it when I see it, but has any one else heard anything this early?
    I'm almost tempted to buy a Base Fit in Canada and have it shipped here. $12,000 is an attractive price-point.
    Seeing that people in Canada have already found some Fits on dealer lots over a week before the April 3 "official on-sale date", I wouldn't be surprised to hear about orders coming in a week before in the US either. IMO, April 9 seems a little too soon, but the earlier the better!

I'm perfectly ready for my dealer to tell me the same news. ;)
    Mebman, what color/trim level did you order?

I was already planning to call mine today, to ask for an update. Now, it's going to kill me to wait until 10am, thinking there's a slim chance it'll be here sooner than the 20th!
    $12k is attractive, and so are their color choices...

They get a nice grey interior, instead of beige -and- have alabaster silver for both LX and Sport (but no white or lunar mist).
    Apparently it's not much cost savings, since you need to deal with a one-time punative fee for it not having the "50 state" emissions sticker(few hundred), plus you need to replace the headlights with DOT approved models, even though, again, it's only what letters are put into the plastic. Speedomoter is the last part. Not technically required, but the odometer needs to read miles instead of KM, and it is required - and part of the same cluster.

Sigh.
  • mauicedarmauicedar Member Posts: 34
    I put a deposit in on a Fit in January and plan to pick it up and tow it behind my motor home in late May. I'll be in Canada and Alaska for four months. As soon as possible I'd like to know what the original equipment tires are on the Sport. I want to have a couple of spares on my trip. I live in Hawaii and our dealers don't expect cars here until late April. If you see a US spec Fit please post what the tires are. Thanks to somebody in advance.
    Mauicedar :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    How many of you have read this? It is amazing that this technically five-year old design Fit trounced 6 newer models. It beat them all by a LARGE margin, all by at least 25 points on something like a 250 point scale. A pretty big deal.

And to those worrying about mileage/performance in the Fit, it got the second highest F.E. in the test (35 MPG) with the fastest 0-60 time (by a tie) at 8.7 sec. Expect to notice only a slight difference when accelerating in a Fit versus a Civic.
  • brek1brek1 Member Posts: 19
    is there a link to this comparison?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I can see C/D putting the Fit at the top of this group. They value handling above all else and the Fit seems to shine there. And it has many other plusses. But #1 in ergonomics, for a car that is uncomfortable to sit in because the driver's seat height isn't adjustable? That does not make sense.
    According to Car and Driver, it has Dunlop SP31 A/S P195/55R15 84 H M+S tires.

It appears to be new size for this Dunlop as Tire Rack only shows 195/65-15s available.
    I wish it had adjustable seats also, but they said the Fit seats were the most supportive and highest quality in the group. They said the gauge cluster was Acura grade with ergonomics equal to the Accord.

They basically trashed the Kia, Hyundai, Dodge, and Suzuki manual shifters. As I would never buy an Auto in this class, that would eliminate those models. That leaves the Fit, Yaris, and the Versa. They also said the Yaris was lightest and was blown around at higher speeds compared to the other vehicles, but the fuel economy was the best. It also appears as usual that the Toyota and Honda get closest to the EPA numbers especially with a manual transmission.
  • cconceptscconcepts Member Posts: 1
    Tuesday, April 4th, 11am - 5pm
    University at Albany, Albany, NY
    THE FIT WILL BE HERE!!

I wanted to let you all know that the Honda Fit will be at our university (University at Albany, NY) on Tuesday, April 4th, for an unvieling of the vehicle. It could give you a chance to experience the car for itself.

We also are raffling off a few ipods.

So if you are near, come by Albany and enjoy the Fit. I hope to see some of you there! :)

(if you need directions, feel free to ask)
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    Best exterior looks? Not to these eyes.
  • mithrandirmithrandir Member Posts: 28
    So CD said the Fit goes 0-60 in 8.7? Hmmm, in a more perfect world they'd knock the engine down to 1.3L and get the combined mileage up over 40 mpg. 8.7 is too "performance-oriented" when fuel threatens to go back over $3USD/gallon. 0-60 in 10-10.5 is fine. But of course there are enough buyers who want the performance at the expense of mileage...
    I have very strong doubts that 8,7 S for 0-60 is realistic
    with the fit, even manual.

Even my 1,5L CVT model which is not much slower is given for like 10,2 for 0-62mph. Need to consider the power to weight ratio. This figure could be possible with 20 more horse power. Can't be any miracle.
  • mebmanmebman Member Posts: 100
    I actually ordered 2. I got a storm silver sport a.t. for my wife and a vivid blue sport a.t. for myself. I saw the storm silver in person at the auto show in Houston, but I'm a little concerned about the blue that I ordered. In some photos it really looks a little less conservative than I would like.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The more realistic number would be the "street start" of 5-60 MPH (no wheelspin) which was 9.6 seconds.

I'd expect it to be AS peppy as my 96 LX Accord Auto with 130 hp/139 lb-ft, a fair assessment, you (anyone) think? My Accord will spin off in dry pavement, but doesn't have lots of passing power. I'd think the Fit may not have the low end giddyup of my old Accord, but should be comparable around town/highway.
  • gonzo99gonzo99 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info on the gearing AT vs MT.

Excuse my ignorance, but if the AT is running at lower rpm on the highway, then shouldn't this efficiency be reflected in the mpg numbers? It seems to me that the AT version would experience less wear-and-tear on the engine. Am I missing some aspect of the conversation?

Do you think the MT version is going to be significantly "noisier" on the highway?

Also for any reader who knows, will all of the AT Fits (regular and Sport) come with the paddle shifters?

Thanks for all responses.
  • hereticheretic Member Posts: 20
    Only the Sport AT comes with wheel mounted Paddle Shifters...
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The MT is naturally more efficient and that makes up for the higher rpms. This is why many of us have been complaining about the higher rpms of the manual. If they brought it down to the automatics range mileage would be over 40 highway.

I think only the Sport has the paddle shifters.
    Yes - another reason to buy the Sport - it's the ONLY ONE to get the paddle shifters! :shades:
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Of course it is a moot point if you get the manual. ;):)
  • gonzo99gonzo99 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks to all for prompt responses.

Looks like a base MT for me... preferably in Black.
    I think it is fair, as I guess the power to weight ratio will be the same.

I considered this a lot when choosing the car, as most models sold in china are undepowered (if one want to pay a reasonable price. A made in China Honda Accord will cost you 38K USD here!
    My dream would be a mitsubishi-like turbocharged 1,5 Engine. the Colt can output 150 HP, which makes this small car a cute blast.