Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
Share your buying experiences here.

Comments

• mwqamwqa Posts: 106
    Betcha that's a typo - the Yaris was DESIGNED in France.
  • Anyone have any thoughts on actually purchasing a Fit from a dealer?

I could be mistaken since I've never purchased a new car before, but here's my thinking:

From an economics/negotiation perspective, putting down a deposit now, indicating my immense demand in the vehicle, or signing up on a waiting list (if one exists) seems like it would compromise my negotiating position.

Should I assume that I'll be paying full price if I want a Fit right away?

With a new vehicle, do you think dealers will be competing on Internet bids / have a sense yet? I had hoped to get a quote through the Internet as Edmunds and other sites have suggested this is the best way to get a good deal.

Thanks!
  • Honda Dealer confirms they can order cars Friday!! I called a Dealer today and asked to be placed on the waiting list. Sales Manager confirmed that this friday he is supposed to receive the list of cars for his first allotment.
    I plan to purchase the fit to tow behind my motor home. I like the fact it's small and light. One of my problems is ground clearance. The Sport with the cladding seems to have a lot less clearance even though the tires are bigger. I would rather have the features on the Sport but fear it would end up with damaged cladding. I'm not like most of the younger buyers that want the car to look cool, I'm going to take the car to Canada and Alaska this summer. Does anybody know if I can raise the body by upgrading to bigger wheels and tires?

Usually when a new model comes out and you want to be the first to get the car, you pay list or above. The waiting lists form beginning now. You may try the internet and request quotes. You can also call Dealers and make an offer. Supply and demand is the name of the game. I'm going to offer list early and not worry about it. Let us all know what happens.
  • By the way, I plan to make a refundable deposit with a Dealer and then I can price shop and cancel my deposit. If you do this make sure the deposit will be returned in writing if you cancel for any reason and expect it may take several weeks before you get it back. Might work best if you make a credit card deposit. :surprise:
  • jonniedeejonniedee Posts: 111
    Might work best if you make a credit card deposit

My dealer didn't leave my credit deposit outstanding - it showed up as an active charge - the next day :surprise:
  • 3dman3dman Posts: 3
    Local Honda dealers here in Northern CAL are totally in dark in terms of ordering. One sales manager said that usually 6-8 weeks before the first arrivals the sales staff goes to a seminar to learn everything about the new models. An other dealer would take a none-refundable deposit. I've been following this forum - the best - for a while, learned a lot - thanks guys - and I can't wait to get my hand on a Fit but do not want to be locked in having to deal with one Dealer
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Posts: 675
    We just received our initial allocation for the intro of the FIT. Looks like we are getting 3 cars. 1 Base MT, 1 Sport MT and 1 Sport AT. I know that Honda is proposing 50,000 units for the full year, so this should translate to about 5-7 FIT's per month for us. We do about 185-200 per month so the smaller dealerships will be getting less.

I certainly forsee a backlog right out of the gate with this car.
  • Looks like I'll be stopping by my local dealer tomorrow with a check, then.

If the bigger dealerships are only getting a few per month, then the chance of getting the model, transmission and color you want within a reasonable timeframe from their initial release date are not looking good. :cry:

I just want to make sure I get one that was made in Japan, and not one from the initial startup of Fit building in the US.
    I just want to make sure I get one that was made in Japan, and not one from the initial startup of Fit building in the US.

Amen to that - Give me 4th year proven Japanese production over all new US product any day! :surprise:
  • I was referring to the fact that a credit card charge can be disputed if you have a difficult time getting the Dealer to cut a check. Third party pressure helps. Yeah they want the money to hold a place. :shades:
  • Well, I will be placing my deposit tomorrow.

I talked to my dealer today and he said that 3 would be arriving in April and 8 per month after that.

Regarding the "compromise my negotiating position" as bostonjazz originally pointed out, is all a question of what you want.
    If you are looking at the small car category in general, and you really have no idea what you want exactly, then wait until it arrives and you can test drive it along with the other models in the category. Upside is that you haven't compromised negotiating capability, and you have a chance to see what else is around. Downside is you will have a limited selection of vehicles, and you might have to settle for "not the perfect Fit" or otherwise go on a waiting list. With 8 cars per month per dealership, it's not hopeless, but that could mean a lengthy delay.

If you are looking at getting the Fit, and you know all about it and that you really want it, then I would suggest putting down a deposit. I really want to make sure I get a manual in base trim line. I have found that manuals are not exactly "popular" in the US, so getting your hands on what you want could be slightly difficult. Upside to the deposit is that you are already in line for what you want. Downside is that you can't test drive (if you don't know already what a Fit/Jazz is like in person) and you have pretty much kissed any chance of negotiating away since the dealer knows you want it.

It's all a matter of priorities.

Colors
    Apologies to fiticeland! You were correct about the Lunar Mist interior. Anyway, these are the exterior/interior colors. Some of you may know already, but all kinds of information is flying around the Internet, so I thought some clarification could be useful.

Base model:
    Beige interior: Taffeta White, Lunar Mist, Milano Red
    Black interior: Storm Silver, Nighthawk Black, Vivid Blue

Sport model:
    Beige interior: Taffeta White
    Black interior: Taffeta White, Storm Silver, Nighthawk Black, Vivid Blue, Milano Red, Blaze Orange
  • What size of a deposit are they looking for these days?
  • The two Dealers I've talked to were asking for $500.00 and you can cancel and receive your money back for any reason.

In the 70's I bought a then newly introduced Honda Accord for list price. I think it was $3495.00 plus tax and Lic. Within weeks Dealers were selling them for 15% over list and or loading them with every Dealer installed option there was. People were on wait lists even at the inflated prices. I wanted to get another one and add a turbo. I waited six months to get another one. When it was ready I was able to sell the one I had for $3,800 just because people couldn't get them. I think it was about 8 months old by the time I got the second car. God, what a ball it was. I used to drive from LA to Mammoth Lakes ski area and did I surprise some cars, including one cop that was at the head of a line of cars that I tried to pass all of them at one time.

It also happened with the 240Z and many others over the years. If you are really interested in getting the car, I would suggest that you get on a list (or more than one) with the written agreement that you can cancel for any reason and you can buy the car at MSRP. You will also want the doc fees spelled out, taxes and any other fees. You are then in a good position.
    1, You can test drive and walk for any reason and get your money back.
    2, You can offer less if you want and you will walk if your not happy and get your $ back.
    3, With a couple of deposits down you can get the first one that arrives or play one off against the other.

It doesn't weaken your position it strengthens it. I predict that there will be a lot of people that will want your position.
    ;)
  • 3dman3dman Posts: 3
    jmurman42, it seems you are working at a Honda Dealership, than perhaps you can explain how would one get/order, say a Base model with MT and some of the features that are available on the Sport, like cruse-control, remote entry and fog lights. Does anyone know what options will be offered? I might consider placing an order with a deposit if I got what I wanted. Any suggestions, thanks
    I drove a 1.3 in Nassau 3 years ago and I all can say is that I was pissed I couldn't get this car in the U.S.
    You will not regret buying this car if your expectations are for a versital, spunky fun to drive, bigger than it is inside than out - Honda.
    By the way I'm #2 in line at my dealer and it took $200 NON REFUNDABLE to reserve an early delivery.... ;)
  • Which trim, transmission, and color are you waiting for?

...and how much earlier is your delivery?
  • fdannafdanna Posts: 263
    Let me just warn you all that the dealer can and will make your life hell if you try to get your deposit back. Most dealers are scum (and I can say this well plenty of assuredness) and will try to strong-arm you into a buying.

I would NOT put a deposit down unless you ABSOLUTELY MUST have this car the DAY it arrives on the lot. Don't let them fool you into thinking that if you don't buy the car ASAP you'll never get it. We're not going to see Miata-esque or VW New Beatle-esque backlogs for this car.

The second they smell any kind of desperation on your part, they're going to take you to the cleaners. And make no mistake about it, there WILL be glitches in the initial product. They may not be severe, but they will make mistakes as they did with the 2006 Civic (check the board).

Granted if you're strong of will and enjoy a good tete-a-tete with a sleezeball dealer, you will not be disappointed.
    My deposit is for a Sport auto 1st color choice storm silver , 2nd Lunar Mist...my delivery is when ever they get the 1st one(s)in! :shades:
    And make no mistake about it, there WILL be glitches in the initial product.

But Fit is NOT an all new car like the 06 civic... it is going on 4 years production in Japan and that's where my car is coming from... ;)
  • "And make no mistake about it, there WILL be glitches in the initial product. They may not be severe, but they will make mistakes as they did with the 2006 Civic"

You're forgetting something though. The Civic is an ALL-NEW product for the 2006 model year. The Fit was introduced in Japan in June of 2001. It has been refined every year since. This will almost be a 5-year old product when it arrives in the United States. I can't say there won't be any problems, but I would have to think the chances are extremely slim. Most of the issues have already been worked out. In fact a magazine in Hungary did a survey of 10 000+ car owners back in December. Which car won the "Most Reliable" title? The Honda Jazz, and that's basically the car the US is getting.

There might be some "glitches" with the 5 speed automatics, being that Honda has had some trouble with the in the past and they are all new on the Fit, but the 5-speed manual is the exact same. OK, some of the ratios are different on the US market Fit, but mechanically it is identical to the one sold in Europe and Japan.

Also, most (if not all?) US Civics are made in the US and while I don't want to get into a geopolitical discussion on car manufacturing, I have found the Japanese products to be of superior quality.

When you are comparing the 2006 Civic to the 2007 Fit, you are comparing brand new US manufacturing to a nearly 5-year old Japanese product. The first year of a new generation always has problems. When was the last time a fifth year Japanese-built Honda had issues?
    This car should be bulletproof.