Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• When I bought my last Fit Sport Auto in 2006 I bought no options and basically got the MSRP. I just went into a dealer in the Dallas area expecting to do a quick test drive and then order another one, paying MSRP. The guy basically said all of them would have some standard options and jacked the price up about 2K. Is this just typical bs that I need to call him on or are many of the dealers doing this?
  • What dealership? Thanks,
  • A reporter is looking to speak with someone who has recently traded down from a midsize to a small car, or who recently bought a compact car after shopping both midsize and compacts. Please e-mail pr@edmunds.com with a daytime phone contact and a brief description of your experience.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• did you trade a car in?
  • Checked out a '12 sport today. Car salesman are such lying scum. They just make stuff up as they go along and some of it is such obvious lies it is laughable. The sad part is my salesman looked less shady than most of the others.
    The dealer puts a "phantom footprint" on every car and they charge $260 or so and if your car gets stolen and totaled you get $5000 towards a new car at that dealership. Total scam. Well he insists they have to charge for it and "reduced" the price by $200 or so. Cost of the car including the phantom footprint ripoff quoted at 18,460 which happens to be the sticker price. No bargain there. They want $75 for the "optional" dealer fee which he insists is not optional, and here's the kicker, he said the registration fee would be about $149, and when I pressed him on the exact amount he PRETENDED to call someone (think GlennGarry Glenn Ross) and said it was actually $198. Total BS, actual title and registration should be about $115. The NYS attorney general has actually gone after dealerships for overcharging for the registration fee yet they still continue to try this trick.
    So right now I'm at
    Car + phantom footprint:$18460
    $10 inspection
    $12 some kind of tire charge
    $75 "optional" dealer fee
    $198 registration (I'm definitely going to get this lowered, hopefully to $115)
    Plus sales tax which the salesman computed on the $18460 only, but I'm sure it will be applied to more than that.
    I have some more haggling to do, but I don't really have much wiggle room, as the fit does not seem to be a car dealers stock a lot of.
    I plan to get the rubber mats and cargo area mat but can find them much cheaper from a dealer online. $89 for the mats and $69 for the cargo mat, way cheaper than the dealer. The floor model had rubber mats and cargo mat and wheel locks for something like $350. Total ripoff!
  • Just bought my turquoise automatic base fit in orlando florida. we got the dealer a low as it seemed he would go at 16,600. had a trade in and paid cash for the rest. so after fees and taxes ended up around 18,000 and change, plus a few free oil changes. more then I wanted to pay but compared to the other cars on the market this had the best of everything I wanted. I look at the Toyota Accent which was around the same price and although it claimed to have better fuel milage the base model didn't even have air conditioning!! In florida AC is a must! do far very happy with my fit!
  • otd was 20,330 but that is with a power sunroof installed. without the sunroof 19300. they may have padded some profit into that sunroof.

16,599 for the car then all the fees.. destination, doc etc. plus tax here is 9.25%.
  • Did you recently purchase a compact or subcompact at least in part because it had very good fuel efficiency as gas prices continue to climb? A reporter is interested in speaking with you. Please send a brief description of your experience and contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, February 29, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• norcal10norcal10 Posts: 1
    otd: $17,701 no other options except automatic transmission.
  • 19,100 before taxes and doc fee. Purchased in northern california
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    edited April 2012
    lostwaffle: when you buy the sport with navi, does it automatically include the phone? If so, is it voice (recognition) controlled, or is it controlled by one of the buttons on the steering wheel?
  • nank1nank1 Posts: 1
    Jam looking at a 2011 with 4200 miles on it and am wondering what is wrong withit that someone would sell
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,195
    Don't "wonder" too far. You might get lost. ;)
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

• bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Some folks don't like the seating position of the Fit, so maybe the previous owner didn't figure that out during the test drive.
  • fluxtorfluxtor Posts: 1
    Looking to buy 2012 Sport Auto in the greater Seattle/Puget Sound area. Anyone out there had some good deals below MSRP? My quote was $19200 PLUS tax/title. Thanks in advance.
  • pixelvillepixelville Posts: 7
    Norcal10,

17.7K OTD is great. What state/tax rate? Did you have a trade-in?

The best quote I have recd for 2012 Fit Base Auto is 16.5K + Tax & title = 18.2K OTD in Bay Area.
  • Okay here goes. I'm sure there were better deals to be had but they're more than 120 miles from where I live. Make sure when people tell you their low low prices they include fees and if the dealer was able to stick them for anything when they weren't looking.

2012 Honda Fit Sport Auto, No Nav:
    MSRP
    Sticker $17,760
    Destination $770
    Total: $18,530

My Breakdown:
    Price with destination $18,200
    Doc Scam Fee $399.50
    Window Etching anti theft Scam Fee $229.00
    DMV $28.25
    Tax $1,407
    Total $20,263.75

Here's how the deal went. We came to my price of $18,200 pretty quick. I knew they would agree because they make it back in their bogus fees. I gave half down. I looked around before I went in and was expecting 2.90% at 60mo.

It's been my experience that once you've made the deal they make you sit around and wait for the all important finance person. My theory is they make you wait so you'll get tired and want to leave and will hurriedly sign the contract without much thought thinking the deal is done. I tell the salesperson I have severe ADHD and will get board and leave so we take to driving different Hondas while waiting. I like the Accord but it is far bigger than I need, the Civic is okay but I really like the hatchback of the Fit. I'd say just over an hour passed when his royal heinous finally summoned me.

Okay, so at this point I thought I was going to get the rip off etching fee removed but I was wrong. Finance dude was like, the fee is lagit blah blah blah. So we stare at each other for a bit. I think hmmm, he's not going to budge so since I'm spending the money I'll take $229 worth of accessories give or take a dollar or two. So I told him I'd like the nice winter floor mats and the cargo cover thing for my $229. He agrees and we move along. Here he attempts to sell me a litany of superfluous items, scotch guard, extended warranty, prepaid service, something.. I don't know I stopped listening to be honest.

I go over the contract and the fellow had 4.9% printed on the thing. I was like no way my credit is over 800. He says 4.9% is good and I said it's good if your credit is bad. He voids this contract and prints out max rate of 2.9%. I sign and was on my way.

And there you have it. It is what it is and was what it was. I know this was not the deal of the century but I wanted to show a whole deal end to end. Remember to go over that contract like crazy because that's what really matters and if they owe you something due after the sale be sure to get a "We Owe" because once the contract is signed their memory fades quickly.

Good luck to all!
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,341
    cantgetaname: can you tell me if hands free phone can be had on the 2012 sport model, or do you have to have navigation? I suspect it is the latter, and another reason why Honda is behind them times when compared to Hyundai and the soon to be release Nissan Versa hatchback.
  • You are correct, you must get navigation in order to get bluetooth.