Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,646
    That was a very good explaination on how the process works!

It is very frustrating when we have a high demand, short supply car and the Fit is a good example of this.
  • bchanbchan Posts: 3
    Through a Sam's Club program I was quoted 16,247+Tax Title and License for a Fit Sport in Silver Storm Metallic. I was pleasantly surprised because I was happy just paying MSRP.

There was no negotiating on the final price just on the deposit. The internet manager wanted $500, I told him his boss said it would only be $250 so he agreed on $250.

He also gave me a much better date than the other dealers even his own had given me earlier.

Only one problem, the car I could "put my name on" was Vivid Blue Pearl. He said he'd "more than likely" be able to get them to change the order and if that didn't work they have some kind of a system to trade vehicles before they even get delivered. So with that assurance I put my $250 deposit down that was May 30th. He told me no later than that Thursday (June 1st) he'd give me a call back to confirm that he could change the order.

Thursday came and went no call. I sent him an e-mail last week, and tried calling him this week, and got a hold of him today. He told me that he thought he had gotten back to me and that the order didn't get in on time and the Blue Fit was still the one that was shipping; but he could try (he sounded less confident) to trade it for a Silver. But he couldn't even begin to try because the current allocation is on boats and for some reason can't be traded till they arrive here in the states. Anyone familiar with this practice? :confuse:

Think it's possible to trade it for the color my wife wants? How does their whole color trading system work?

Any comments would be helpful.
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    The Fits are in very limited supply - most every dealership has deposits on any inbound cars. I think the chances of your dealer being able to swap vehicles with another dealership are slim to none, but good luck. :(
  • bchanbchan Posts: 3
    So do you think the dealer was making up a story about having some kind of a computer system to swap colors before they even got to the dealership? :(
  • We just bought a Fit Sport A/T yesterday. It took us about 2 weeks to find the car. Our experience:

University Honda, Davis, CA: They didn't have any Fit, were a bit vague on when we could get one. We left our phone number so they could call us. They never did.

Mel Rapton Honda, Sacramento, CA: They didn't have the color we wanted (white), but called us when it arrived. Went in the next morning for a test-ride and purchase. Price was MSRP. Halfway through the paperwork we were told the car had already been sold. They attempted to sell us a different color and then a Civic. They tried to find a white car at another dealer that they could trade. No luck. They didn't tell us which dealers had the car.

Vacaville Honda, Vacaville, CA: Did "Locate a Dealer" on the Honda website and started calling in order of proximity. The salesperson at Vacaville Honda looked up inventory of all the dealers in the area with a white Sport A/T and gave me the list. I thought this was exceptional service considering he had nothing to gain by helping us.

Wittmeier Honda, Chico, CA: They had just sold the car, but again offered to look up other dealer's inventory.

El Cerrito Honda, El Cerrito, CA: They had the car and we bought it. It was marked up $1495.00 above MSRP, but they sold it to us without the markup. Very nice, courteous, efficient, and quick service.
  • dap2006dap2006 Posts: 68
    Well, I know they have access to what cars are coming into their dealership by VIN, etc..., so they can track status. How much effort they'll put into swapping cars to get the preferred color for a customer when they can be confident their inbound car will sell to SOMEONE almost immediately I don't know :confuse: . I was told by a Phoenix dealer that they couldn't work swaps due to the high demand and low supply. I ended up putting a down payment on an inbound Storm Silver Sport before someone else snapped it up :shades: - good luck!
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Posts: 675
    Yes we can swap colors. The parameters are that the car is being built two or more weeks out, we submit it to the Honda On Line Bulletin Board for electronic exchange before the color change. The build date will change on the color swap, no guarantees whether it will be earlier or later.
  • frogdaddyfrogdaddy Posts: 33
    I went to two dealers yesterday. I own a 2004 Accord and looking to down size (a little upside down) but willing to part if it's worth it. I drove the Orange Sport A/T (around and around the dealer lot) because I wasn't too serious about taking it out as of yet. I was amazed at the room. It looks more like apricot than orange. Nice features and feels smoother riding, shifters are cool too. $795 dealer bump sticker. I asked it was for the crappy pin striping job and sealer for int/ext. Some crap about acid rain here. It's obvious that dealers aren't going to make too much on this because the range from invoice to msrp is so small. Does that make sense or am I wrong about that? So they put crap you don't really want. Then I test drove the deep blue base auto. It was almost too base for me. Driver door wouldn't close properly (perhaps weather stripping problem). Coolant light was blue for a couple of secs too. I'm sure the way it's designed. Again, this other dealer had a $895 bump sticker for mud flaps and sealant garbage. Acid rain capital of the world. He did say he's got quite a bit of inventory coming in. All A/T's though. I guess they think folks in Atlanta commute and wouldn't want M/T?????
    He showed me a list of several in transit coming from OK and CA. Not spoken for either. "We're the 3rd highest volume dealer"...blah blah blah. Anyway, they have more coming in July. All Silver or Blue. So, if you're in Atlanta there are at least 5-6 dealers I've been researching and they have them in one form or another. Some may last longer than others. The sales guy with the Orange A/T said it's been there for 3 weeks. Not moving too fast for me. They're there if you're willing to travel to get them.
  • We paid $21,800 (Canadian) for a Orange Honda Fit Sport - Automatic. This is including freight but before GST taxes. Since GST taxes are dropping 1% in July, the finaly price could be a little different...

This includes block heater, all weather floor mats and the chrome muffler tip thing.

I think we ended up paying about 3% under MSRP, but it is really hard to tell with no definite price on the included accessories.
  • fitinkcfitinkc Posts: 1
    Bought my Silver Fit Sport Auto from a dealership in Manhattan, Ks
    All in KC sold before truck even arrived.
    Several in STL had problems/delays from ship/Japan.
    Paid MSRP $16520

I've put 200 miles on it since Saturday (Manhattan, Ks is about 140 miles from KC, MO) and it runs fine.

Best car I've purchased in years and we just gave up a 2002 Volvo S60. :shades:
  • We went into a dealer, and put down a $500 deposit on a Sport A/T. Gave them 3 color choices, and they said they'd start looking for one. 2 days later, another local dealer shows one coming in on their website. I call dealer A, and they ignore my info, and never contact dealer B. Dealer A wants to add $500 paint/fabric protector, and isn't real firm on my trade-in value. Is it EVER possible to get your deposit back? They won't budge.

Thanks,

Steve
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Not only is it possible, in most cases they have to give you your deposit back. You don't even have a signed sales agreement, obviously, since a firm prices hasn't even been agreed on. If you want your deposit back, get tough with Dealer A - they don't have the right to keep it.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dylaninaldylaninal Posts: 7
    Wondering is anyone has any thought on the going price for a used S-10 Chevy pick-up, 2001 with 20,000 miles---they are asking $8 for it---really want it but seems like this is too high---any suggestions?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,851
    Hi dylaninal,
    Since this topic is about Honda Fit pricing, you're better off visiting our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. If you click that link, you'll be taken to the right topic.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• ardenneardenne Posts: 4
    I went into Fit shopping a couple of weeks ago expecting to pay sticker + destination + tax, but so far I've found only a few dealers willing to even say they'll sell it at sticker price -- and then it turns out that they've added all kinds of extra fees on top of that, like an $800 'dealer prep fee' or a $400 'processing fee,' jacking the price up to anywhere from $1000-$2500 over sticker.

What kinds of fees, if any, should I accept as reasonable, or should I keep trying to hold out for sticker + destination + tax and nothing more, period?

We're in KY, in case it varies by state. Thanks in advance.
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    any 'fees' you pay other than dock, which is $550 IIRC, are bogus. Now, most dealers are adding features like window tint, pin striping, protectant, etc etc. That's to be expected on this car, but at least you GET something for the money.

Dealer prep fees are a crock.
    That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure, since I'm not an expert at the new-car buying game. Thanks.

I guess we'll just keep on hunting for an honest dealer.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Posts: 408
    You should pay:

-MSRP or neg price off of MSRP.
    -destination
    -doc fee
    -sales tax

note: doc fees can vary wildly from dealer to dealer. A doc fee can range from $50.00 to $700.00 in my experience so check around. Once a dealer sets their doc fee they have to legally charge everybody the same fee. It is not negotiable. Even the dealer pays the doc fee from a legal stand point, though he may cut himself a pretty good deal way below invoice :). He better show a doc fee in his paper work. So don't try to negotiate the doc fee. Negotiate the price of the car and keep the doc fee in mind when deciding what you want to pay for the car. The doc fee is after all just built in profit especially when it's pushing $700.00.

A typical ploy are dealerships that advertise all their vehicles are $500 over invoice, but they have a $700.00 doc fee when you hit the finance office.

I paid a $249.00 doc fee at my dealer and MSRP, dest, tax.
  • fitman548fitman548 Posts: 172
    The Honda website has the $550 as the Destination charge.
    Thanks, all of you. I had the MSRP, invoice, and destination charges off of Edmunds and the Honda web site, but I just wasn't sure what other fees, if any, were appropriate.

Should I expect to have to pay an extra fee for temporary tags? One dealer said they'd have to charge me $400 for temp tags, but no one else mentioned anything similar -- is it perhaps built into the 'doc' fee, most of the time?
    Should I expect to have to pay an extra fee for temporary tags? One dealer said they'd have to charge me $400 for temp tags, but no one else mentioned anything similar -- is it perhaps built into the 'doc' fee, most of the time?

$400 sounds like their doc fee. There might be some other small fees but they should be very reasonable. If he is saying temp tags are $400 and their doc fee is $500 or something like that, run away.
    OK, I just looked at my reciept and there were these fees:

-Fit including destination $16,520
    -Dealer documentary service fee $249.95
    -sales tax $1048.12
    -license and registration 43.50
    -fees: age based/property assessment $150.00
    -state waste tire recycling fee $5.00

out the door for 18,016.57 for Fit Sport AT/paddles
  • fitsutrafitsutra Posts: 1
    Steve,

I had the same problem with a dealer. The salesperson said the deposit was refundable. Since I purchased my FIT from another dealer, I called back the salesperson and asked for a refund for my deposit. He said he will credit my card to refund ym deposit. A few days later, still no credit. I talked to his sales manager and he said the deposit was non-refundable. I told the SM that was BS because I was told by his salesperson that the deposit was refundable.

Step 1: I called Honda of America (800-999-1009) to open a case against this dealership. HMA said they will contact the General Manager and will inform them a case has filed against his dealership.
    Step 2: I called my credit card to dispute the charges.

Two weeks later I received my refund. Your deposit is refundable. You definitely need to get your money back.
    I live in Atlanta and all I seem to see in transit or at dealers are automatics. Honda must think we spend lots of time in traffic so we wouldn't desire a manual. The manual is going to be faster off the line, no? I hear the paddles are useless because the thing will shift for you anyway (don't want someone forgetting they're in manual mode and break it). So, it's only good for passing?

Also, every dealer seems to be adding 800+ with the sealer crap for fabric and body? How can I avoid that? "It's because dealers aren't making much money on them"

Thanks.
  • Hi Ardenne,

I'm in So Cal where these cars are selling at quite the premium but using the internet I was able to get Base AT for MSRP + Tax + $45 doc fee. I'd recommend using the quote requests from Edmunds, KBB, and fit.honda.com to get quotes from as many dealers in your area as possible. The internet managers nearly always push the price below the "walk-in" price and they know that internet shoppers are informed, savvy, and not easily scammed (unlike the rest of the impulsive car-buying population). Take these quotes and shop around... you'd be surprised by how many dealers are willing to meet or beat their competitor's prices.

Another trick to getting the low price you want is to stress the fact that, with the right deal, you're ready to put money down today. Dealerships hate to pass up on an easy and sure sale, even if their profit margins aren't as large as they'd like (it's not like they're not making money).

The last piece of advice is, if possible, make appointments with the internet sales folks mid-week and mid-day. They aren't going to be very busy and they know that if they make the sale their managers are going to be pleased because there's not much action anywhere else in the dealership. This is, of course, in your favor.

Hope this helps and good luck!!
  • fittasticfittastic Posts: 18
    After reading some of these posts, I feel very fortunate to have found my new Fit. I bought it Thursday night for $200 under the MSRP! That alone made me smile from ear to ear because I knew it would be difficult to get under MSRP. (Note that I called every single Honda dealer within 100 miles to get the best "out the door" price... 95% said MSRP plus tax, title, etc and 95% said that there was a good several week to several MONTH wait on them).

I got the base model in white (wanted black, but beggers can't be choosers eh) with MT and I absolutely love this car. It's so much roomier inside than it looks and it drives wonderfully. I bought it with 95 miles already on it (transfer) and now have 510 miles. I picked the car up with a full tank of gas and put 355 miles on it before having to put 9.2 gallons of gas in it.

I can't say enough GOOD things about this car! I've gone from a 16-year-old Accord to a brand new, tiny Fit and all I can say is... the FIT IS GO!

This car is the best
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Posts: 112
    Also, every dealer seems to be adding $800+ with the sealer crap for fabric and body? How can I avoid that? "It's because dealers aren't making much money on them".

Thats an excuse dealers love to give, but frankly, its full of crap.

Yes, the Fit's MSRP is priced only about $600 or so above invoice, but its not like the dealer gets ONLY that $600... there's also another kickback (forget what its called) that goes to the dealer that's worth at least 3% of the invoice price.

So, even if the dealer sells you a Fit at MSRP, they're probably making over $1000 on it... not too shabby. Also, you now know why Honda dealerships have no problem selling oodles of Accords at invoice... they are NOT 'just breaking even' on the deal, they are still making money.

As the $800 'fabric treatments', 'rustproofing' and 'clear coating' stuff is nearly pure profit padding (actual cost to the dealer is a fraction of that, and its utility to the buyer is dubious, at best), I'd say 'adios' to any dealer who insists that you swallow such an add-on as part of the deal. Or who tries to add it in at the last minute.

Shop around 'til you find a dealer who's happy to make 'merely' $1000 off of a MSRP deal on the Fit, and/or wait a couple of months for the initial feeding frenzy to die down. You'll get your Fit for MSRP, without the stupid rip-off add-ons, if you're willing to do the legwork and/or wait a little while. :wink:
    Well then I guess I got screwed. I negotiated 16365 MSRP.
    +550.
  • johnnyvjjohnnyvj Posts: 112
    Yeah, maybe you did a bit. But I would say that a lot of the early adopters of the Fit did. Supply vs demand and all that.

On the plus side, you got the car before almost everybody else. You'll probably get a lot of questions/compliments about it. :shades:
    Thanks again, everyone.

Gearhead, the dealer with the $400 fee for the temp tags claimed that it was necessary because he's in a neighboring state -- ie, we'd be registering it out of state. He also had a separate doc fee of several hundred dollars, so given what I know at this point, I'm going to just completely avoid that dealership in the future.

I think we're probably going to put our purchase on hold for a few months to see if the market calms down a bit, then go the online quotes route to find the best price. I really appreciate all of the helpful info I've gathered here so far and will probably continue to lurk around while we're waiting!