Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• Everyone here reading the post and message board should tell friend and family to stop place deposites at the dealership. This gives the dealer an advantage of dealer to ask high price, "The car is in high demand" we have to charge $5K over sticker. So everyone lose except Honda dealer wins.
    The truth is this car will not "FIT" many American since the tiny size, may be 20 to 30 % of the people in the U.S. will fit comfortably.
    This is the main reason Honda and others delay introduce econo box to the U.S. Now they have been force to. But due to the size constraint to many people in the U.S. People will feel stupid later who over paid the car and regret. It is a nice car, but many people will not "FIT" in, then the market will be limited to the "FIT" people.
    So please don't help dealer on price! Dealer is going to milk out as much as it can with every new model.
  • jonniedeejonniedee Posts: 111
    You need to sit in this car before you can say only 20 to 30% of people will Fit - I am large and fit in the fit (jazz) NO problem. In fact I sat in a newer Pontiac mid-sized entry at the NAIAS and found it to be cramped feeling in comparison.
    Also sorry but if someone wants to make a deposit now I don't see any issue. If you don't want to fork out the $ for a certain car just don't buy it.
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Posts: 675
    I Manage the Internet Dept for our dealership, so here's my take on this. please keep in mind we have not seen any accessories or the exact trims of the FIT.

Keyless Remote and Foglights should be available as accessories. I say should with some hesitation. Cruise Control...I couldn't say one way or the other. That being said, it will be hard for the dealer to have your accessories by the time you FIT arrives, especially on a new vehicle. It usually takes a couple of months before all of the accessories have filled the pipleline so to speak.

Do you plan on doing a Pre-Order with a dealership or waiting until the units start hitting the ground?
  • shneorshneor Posts: 66
    The external dimensions of the Fit are almost identical to thoe of the Scion XA. Here in Northern California, there are plenty of XAs on the streets. I think the Fit is a much better buy.

Shneor
  • I ordered my Fit today. Number 1 on the list. In fact, the manager was doing the orders today. They had 3 cars being ordered for April. One of them was a base model with 5 speed manual in Lunar Mist. They changed that one to the Storm Silver I requested.

$1000 fully refundable deposit.
    I can't wait to be number one off the lot in April :D !
  • Hey everyone - pleased to report that I too (or more exactly, my wife) put down a deposit on a Fit today, here in Boston! Indeed, that along with everyone else's posts confirm that the wheels are in motion and dealers are now generally aware of the car and able to take orders. It was a $500 fully refundable deposit.

Similarly, this dealership was in the process of putting their orders in today. They are receiving 2 models - 1 base and 1 sport. Apparently each dealership (not sure the region this applies to, but it came from a Honda memo) is being allotted 3 Fits, with certain combinations - 1 manual, 2 auto, or 2 sport, 1 base, etc. They also suggested the car would be available in APRIL.

Thanks for the recommendation on putting down a deposit ASAP, on my earlier post about how this would affect bargaining position. The assumption I needed to make was that I would not be bargaining - we want this car, and we do not want to wait for it, so that means we're willing to and will expect to pay the "market" price for the first buyer - MSRP.

It could be that I know nothing about buying cars (the Fit will be my first new vehicle, so Honda's strategy is working) - but for some reason I guess I assumed Fits would be available on a J.I.T. basis; the car comes out and people go to the dealer and order them. If one city needs 7 Fits, 7 are shipped there.

Of course, when I recalled based on the posts that there are only 50,000 units to go around for the year, across the whole country, and I want one right away... well, that led to the deposit.

I do wonder though if we could get any sort of a break on dealer-installed options by noting we're not eating into the dealer's profit on the car itself by haggling. That's a minor point...

We're going for the base and hoping to add keyless entry, the ipod thing, maybe cruise control or fog lights.

So, to all of our Fit-watching bretheren here, this is a very happy day for me and many of us. We are "in line" and have taken the first step to buying a Fit! We started out wishing for this car to be imported; suffered through months of mystery and speculation... and plenty still more to learn, not to mention when we get to drive it (I had a chance to in Europe over the summer).
  • let's see, your trying to get the few hundred people who have posted on this site(And the few thousand who read the posts) who are interested and the best informed about the Fit to not place deposits. That'll mean that everybody else can step in and have first shot at a new model(for America) built and imported from Japan (where they sell very very well) so they won't be on the list of people who have first crack at buying one. Not a very good plan if you ask me. :confuse: Let me know where you are and if I'm in the area in my new Fit, I'll be sure to honk as I pass. :shades:

I placed my deposit today from a Dealer who told me he got his allocation today and it was exactly one. The good news was he could order any style and color he wanted. That's going to be mine.
    I've heard that Honda plans for 33,000 to 50,000 in the first year. That means about four thousand a month or less. It won't take much to cover that. In my State we have about one Honda Dealership for every 250,000 people. If Honda has 1000 dealerships that means four cars per month, on average. Sometimes you can be to tight for your own good. Buy some junk from Detroit, you'll make a hell of a deal. The lots are overflowing, take your pick.
  • 3dman3dman Posts: 3
    Given that, as you indicated, it would take a few months before I could custom order a unit, I am pretty much decided to pre-order if I could only find a Dealer in the Sacramneto area that would agree to a refundable deposit. I’ve been looking to buy a hatchback since last summer, but was not sold on anything until I came across the Jazz/Fit. I drive long distances and definitely want cruise control, so I'd go for the Sport model.
    3dman...here is how I would handle your situation. I would find a dealer close to you where I could speak with the Internet Manager face to face. I would explain that I wanted to place an order now for a later delivery. Order your exact color, and clearly spell out when you want to take delivery and have a Buyers Order printed showing what you'll pay. Our Buyers Orders on pre-orders where we dont know the MSRP say something to this effect "Customer pays MSRP, which is indicated on the Monroni Label"

Give them your deposit and go about your life until the build date for your FIT, re-contact the Internet Manager to see if you are on schedule.

Ordering for a later date isn't rocket science for any dealer, just make sure it's spelled out.

Hope this helps.
  • mebmanmebman Posts: 100
    I am going down to make a deposit on the Fit at my dealer and have a few questions that he dealer doesn’t know the answer to. I am trying to decide between the base and the sport models.

1) Does anyone know if the cruise control will be an option on the base model?

2) Does anyone know if the tacky underbody spoilers on the Sport model can be easily removed without leaving holes, or unpainted trim showing?

3) Does anyone have any thoughts on the 15 inch tires? What would they do to the cars fuel economy, ride, and road noise vs. the 14inch tires? (btw much cheaper to replace)

I am leaning towards the base model but those 3 items (in particular the cruise control) may force me into the sport.
  • shneorshneor Posts: 66
    Spoke to a dealer Friday. He told me their dealership is getting two Fits, one Sport and one Base. Order is going in Monday - he changed the Base model order to the one I want, and they will order that. I don't think Honda has specific knowledge about pre-orders. Did not ask me for a deposit either, though I offered at one point.
  • Dealer told me that aftermarket cruise control was most likely the only choice on a Base Fit.

One post I read stated that there were some holes in the sheet metal to attach the skirts. Also adhesive tape.

About the tires you might want to call Tire Rack and ask them for advice. They told me last week they were ordering some special wheels for the Fit.

Good luck. :shades:
  • Good move on securing an option.

The difference between the Sport and Base is reported to be under 2,000. It's not going to be possible to just choose any options for the Dealers to add on at the Dealerships. Examples are cruise control. The steering wheel on the Sport have the cruise control built in. They won't have that option. If you want automatic, only the Sport has the shift paddles located at the steering wheel. On the Ipod radio there is a booster and two extra speakers. I don't think the Dealers will change that out either.

The bundled option choices are usually a good value. The Sport has, the remote, fog lights, cruise control, alloy wheels, bigger tires, radio upgrades and the skirt package.
    I would usually order the upgraded package every time. This time I plan to haul the fit behind my motor home. I need the manual to pull it four wheels down and the fit's ground clearance is effected by the skirt kits and where I'm going I would damage them. If I take the lower ones off I'm afraid I would have to do some filling and repaint so I'll pass on them, If I were you, I'd look very hard at the upgraded package in the Sport. Buy the Best and only cry once.

:shades:
  • bigger tires are better in fuel economy.

Plus get the rims now. hub caps are weak and look ugly. but the steel rims are more durable. taking off parts will always leave holes. They are not meant to be removed. You could but holes and marks will remain. It looks like cruise will not be availble on the reg. car. GL :) :) :P
  • plektoplekto Posts: 3,706
    Honda wants long-term customers, much like Volvo and Mercedes used try to obtain to a deacade ago as well.

The rest - they want to not get beat in that segment and boost their CAFE numbers and nothing else. They really want everyone to buy the next model up. Take Toyota - their smallest "normal car" is the Matrix. It's engineered to actually be an all-in-one car without any compromises other than size. The Yaris or even the Colorrl - feel like a compromise from a design standpoint the second you sit in them. NIce, but budget.

Compare a Mini. It's exactly the opposite "feel" - it's small, clean, and fun. Too bad it's smaller than a teacup. Families and students won't actually but a Mini, because they need what the Fit offers - a true microwagon that's under $15K.

I think the Fit will sell like crazy, myself.
  • I dropped into my local Honda dealership and put down a deposit yesterday. The debate about whether or not to put down deposits early has been interesting to read.

In my shopping, I have had some very particular specifications: Less than a foot longer than my current car (an older Miata), MPG over 30, and a back seat area that can be used as air-conditioned cargo space if necessary. Doesn't sound hard, right? That knocked my list down to the Mini Cooper, Aveo, Xb, Yaris, xA, and Fit. (I think there's a Kia, but it's not on my "how long are they" spreadsheet at the moment.)

Mini Coopers are costly for what you get. Aveo feels like it's made of legos. xB, I admit, lost due to its aesthetics. If the Yaris is more cheaply made than the Echo, I don't trust it to hold up. So that left the xA and Fit. I'm not a huge fan of the center instrument cluster, but the xA is an option. But the Fit's magic seats and safety features brought it out on top of the list.

Will I buy it when it comes in? I hope so, but if I don't care for it when I test drive, there's a Toyota dealership literally across the street with plenty of xAs in stock. The internet sales manager I worked with had a moment of not knowing what to say because he kept trying to say I had bought a car, and I kept pointing out that I had not purchased anything but had secured opportunity to buy a car once they showed up if it suited me.

So we will see what little blue Honda shows up in April. I hope it's worth the wait, but nothing is set in stone.
  • safitsafit Posts: 1
    Just put a $250.00 refundable deposit on a Black Sport model. The dealer I went to here in SA, TX was great w/ our '06 Odyssey purchase & I just need a "commuter/utility" vehicle w/ the gas prices as they are now. # 1 in line w/ them telling me it'll be March production w/ April delivery. This board has been very useful...

Viva San Antonio!!!
  • FYI, here's a recent article on the Fit and competitors. Things we already knew, but this is one of the more in-depth analyses I've seen lately on the small car category.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/FREE/60123014/1041

Also, I have a question - and suspect I might get some differing answers :) When I put down a deposit on the Fit last week, there was nothing in the agreement about price. My assumption is once pricing is known, we can revisit this - and I'm assuming MSRP, and/or the opportunity to negotiate (but fully expecting I'll pay around MSRP). We still need to add options, for instance, which will affect the price. The deposit puts me in line to get one of those first orders... why were some people emphasizing getting agreements with dealers to buy the car at MSRP? How would I spell that out?

Thanks
    There was nothing on the agreement about price? So..what exactly did you agree to?
  • I think the size of the deposit and the conditions varies from dealer to dealer. I paid $1000 (fully-refundable) with no guarantee on price. I am expecting to pay MSRP since I am number 1 in line, and I don't really care either. I am looking specifically at the Fit, and a car that will possibly last me 15+ years (if my previous Accord is any indicator, that goal will be reached with ease). I am not looking for some kind of bargain. Having said that, I don't want to pay for any premiums or ADMU nonsense either.

I specfically asked about the price and the dealer said the deposit guarantees me the first spot for the Fit of my choice (base 5-speed manual in Storm Silver Metallic). Final price will be determined at delivery.

About the article...
    Interesting that the US Yaris will be built in France.