Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• fitluverfitluver Posts: 198
    So, let us know what model/color/etc etc etc!!! Those of us still waiting would like to know!!!

You guys are killing me! Mine should be here within the next four days!

Very anxious now!
    If all else fails, you might consider just going to cars direct or a simmilar site and bypassing the nonsense.

Doc fees should be in the $200 or so range. Given that the dealer is already making $500-$600 of so profit on the car since it's being sold for MSRP, its criminal to be charging $400+ on top of that

Good luck going thru somewhere else.

It will be sold within hours most likely.

If you signed an agreement and put down a down payment, don't sweat the idea of fees that were not in your original agreement.

Each state is different what they have to charge.

For the guy that sells fits, on the back of my agreement it mentions that certain things can be done by me. If I go in there with a check and no need to run other financial info and paperwork, is there anything that is reasonably within my ability? If it is something small that would take me half hour or more to do, I probably wouldnt reasonably attempt to do it myself.

But, I am just hoping my dealer is as good as I think. I regulary run across the prez of the dealership and just met the owner. Nice folks. I am hoping he realizes that the car promised me in dec/jan that is now over a month late, that of course my trade in value drops and perhaps he will kick me some small goodie. Perhaps he just wont beat me on my trade in, which I know is not worth much but...in its price range, a difference of a hundred dollars would mean alot to me. Also I sent someone in who will be getting her fit around the same time as me.

Thoughts to ISELLHONDAS? I dont expect bargaining points on agreed upon costs but what can you suggest is fair?
    I dont expect bargaining points on agreed upon costs but what can you suggest is fair?

If I go in there with a check and no need to run other financial info and paperwork, is there anything that is reasonably within my ability? If it is something small that would take me half hour or more to do, I probably wouldnt reasonably attempt to do it myself.

I forgot to mention, when i looked at the agreement earlier today I want to say the doc fee was somewhere around 126-154 (something like that). The fee listed for transfer of tags and title to me were consistant with what I payed for my current car a year and a half ago. (recent enough to be close in cost.)

You mention some costs may have gone up. I do not know that they could have gone up all that much.

But, it is not unreasonable for me to expect for a car promised dec/jan, that the price will "not go up after the new year"?

I know I paid 550 for delivery and that has gone up.

I expect the dealer to make some money on the car but to be honest the only extra I really want are floor mats. I expect the car to last a good long time without real need for undercoats and ext. warranty.
    Any input is welcomed.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,691
    We charge 35.00. I can't understand how some stores can get away with some of these fees they charge?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,574
    Georgia and Florida are famous for the $399-$599 doc/admin/dealer fees..

On a car in plentiful supply, you can just adjust your offer downwards by the same amount... but, on a car where everyone is getting MSRP, that is sort of difficult.

It is just a way for the dealer to make the price seem lower than it really is.. You might have to widen your search, to find a dealer that will truly sell you a FIT at MSRP.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks, kyfdx. I also have my Credit Union's Car Buying Service guy working on it. I told him what others are asking, out the door, and he is looking to beat it, but he had never heard of the Fit before I called him, so I'm not sure how much better he can do.

It would be a lot easier if I were willing to accept a Base Automatic, but I've driven a manual for 22 years, and I'd rather not settle for less than what I want. If you're going to spend thousands of dollars for something, it ought to be what you want, right? I think so.

I thought that $599 was astronomical. I'll keep shopping, thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,574
    I agree... if you really want a manual, accepting an automatic will not make you happy..

Concentrate on the total price before taxes... If you can get MSRP with no additions, that would seem to be a fair price for a FIT, at this time.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• ciara1ciara1 Posts: 25
    Sorry, I should have thought to include that! It's a sport model, Vivid Blue Pearl, no added accessories (though I think I'm going to order a console armrest and a rear cargo-area mat this week, and my husband is so impressed by the mp3-player jack that he now wants to buy an Ipod to go with the car.)

I also forgot to include in my original picking-up-the-car post that we asked the dealer to NOT attach any dealership insigia and to please have the prep department adjust the headlamps up a couple of notches, after what we had read here, and they obliged with no problems on both matters. I'm glad we had the headlights adjusted upwards; they seem to be just perfect now.

We took it to TN to visit family for the weekend and absolutely loved it. It's really amazing how much cargo space it has for a car its size; we thought it might be rough making the trip in a car when we usually do it in a minivan, but it worked out just fine. Everyone was comfortable, and we had plenty of luggage space. We're on our 3rd tank of gas now and have been getting nearly 34 mpg on average :) Each fillup was right around $16, making the total gas cost for the trip a good 1/3 less than usual.

My brother and parents both want one now :P
    I absolutely agree that you should get what you want. If you want a manual, definitely don't settle for an automatic -- just be prepared to shop around a bit more and (probably) wait a bit longer.

We talked to over 40 dealers to find one willing to sell for MSRP + TTL without adding on a raft of unwanted options and/or exorbitant fees. It's definitely not easy, but it's possible. Good luck :)
    I agree that floor mats should come standard, and I think the Cargo Cover should too - who wants people to be able to look in their "trunk" and see what's there?

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk
    All that junk inside your trunk....

Sorry, watching the grammys and that just popped into mind. I simply couldn't resist. I hope you get the joke. (Black Eyed Peas are not my usual music but it is a fun song.)
    We charge 35.00. I can't understand how some stores can get away with some of these fees they charge?

Is the doc fee different in different states?

Is there anywhere on the web, such as a random dealership website, that lists a doc fee that low?

I could perhaps print it up and say hey, this is much more reasonable and fair. I am basically paying cash (by check) and they do not have much to do with regards to paperwork for me.

It may only be a day or two away now, so let me thank you ahead of time for all you offer. It would be nice to find something in writing by comparison but if states have differences too, that is useful to know.
    Sorry, I should have thought to include that! It's a sport model, Vivid Blue Pearl, no added accessories (though I think I'm going to order a console armrest and a rear cargo-area mat this week, and my husband is so impressed by the mp3-player jack that he now wants to buy an Ipod to go with the car.)

Oh my goodness, I actually thought about the same thing! (buying an ipod to go with my car, and a griffin transmitter-look it up)You just got my car exactly. :) Good taste.

I also forgot to include in my original picking-up-the-car post that we asked the dealer to NOT attach any dealership insigia and to please have the prep department adjust the headlamps up a couple of notches, after what we had read here, and they obliged with no problems on both matters. I'm glad we had the headlights adjusted upwards; they seem to be just perfect now.

I actually considered asking the dealer to do the exact same thing. They have been so good to me, but, I do feel it devalues the car a bit if you cannot easily take it off. I may go ahead and do it too, and ask them to adjust lights as well (after I test drive it.)

I am glad you love it. I will love mine too. We burned some new CDs to break in the stereo. ;)
    Our dealer didn't seem to mind the request to not attach any insignia. He jokingly said that it'd cost us an extra $500 since they lose out on the free advertising, but he was obviously kidding around, and he went on to say that it's not an uncommon request at all and they don't mind in the least. I agree that it devalues the car a bit if it can't be easily removed, and far too many places do install them in such a way that it can't be easily taken off.

My DH is loving the stereo, even without an Ipod. The stereo in the old car we were replacing hasn't worked for 5+ years, so even just having a radio seems like a luxury :)

The color is breathtakingly gorgeous, IMHO. I smile every time I see it! I hadn't seen the blue in person before it arrived, and it's a bit lighter and brighter than I had expected, but we both like it very much.

BTW, it's an automatic transmission. I just realized, re-reading the posts, that I had left that out!
    I looked up the griffin transmitter -- does one need an FM transmitter to listen to an Ipod, then? I thought you could just connect it to the MP3-player jack and play it without additional devices. (I realize this might go better in the audio forum, but since it's a reply to a post here, I was afraid you'd not see it if I put it there.)
  • No, you are definitely better off connecting to the AUX jack. You'll get better sound even if you connect using the headphones output, and better yet if your connect using the docking port, which is supported by the Belkin adapter or Honda's Music Link.
    Our dealer didn't seem to mind the request to not attach any insignia. He jokingly said that it'd cost us an extra $500 since they lose out on the free advertising, but he was obviously kidding around, and he went on to say that it's not an uncommon request at all and they don't mind in the least. I agree that it devalues the car a bit if it can't be easily removed, and far too many places do install them in such a way that it can't be easily taken off.

My DH is loving the stereo, even without an Ipod. The stereo in the old car we were replacing hasn't worked for 5+ years, so even just having a radio seems like a luxury

The color is breathtakingly gorgeous, IMHO. I smile every time I see it! I hadn't seen the blue in person before it arrived, and it's a bit lighter and brighter than I had expected, but we both like it very much.

BTW, it's an automatic transmission. I just realized, re-reading the posts, that I had left that out!

I would have sworn* you said MT like I will be getting any day now.

That's ok though, its still blue. lol

I cannot wait!
    I looked up the griffin transmitter -- does one need an FM transmitter to listen to an Ipod, then? I thought you could just connect it to the MP3-player jack and play it without additional devices. (I realize this might go better in the audio forum, but since it's a reply to a post here, I was afraid you'd not see it if I put it there.)

I am no ipod expert but I think what the griffin is is basically something that plugs into the power jack and transmits the ipod selections to a certain radio wavelength which you tune into on your car. ie 88.5. I think you can set it to broadcast on any wavelength you want and as you move about the country you are better able to adjust the wavelength to diff frequency/tuner setting on your radio.

I have heard you can hook it into the aux jack and have to control volume based on the ipod volume, not the actual stereo volume. In order to turn it up, you have to do so on the ipod itself. You are not plugged into any power at that point, and rely on ipod batteries. There may be an av jack to go through the cig lighter also.

OR: you can get a griffin and transmit it to your car stereo and have the power charge from the car engine, and adjust volume on the stereo itself as though it were a radio channel. (to the best of my knowledge)

You could doublecheck this and probably compare costs vs what you actually need. Lets say: If a griffin is cheaper than the male/male AV jack+power cord, that might be better way to go but I do not know what cost difference is or if you need power cord. Or if the other is true, are you confident enough to handle the ipod while driving to adjust volume. Either way you would have to handle it to advance songs.

Then there is the far more expensive honda installed jack with power and AV input that goes right across the radio screen and allows you to search folders etc.

Just a thought and by all means, doublecheck me because that is just what I have read.

Hope that helps.
  • I have an ipod shuffle that i use in the car all the time, and you can adjust the volume both ways, either on the stereo or the ipod. i usually have to turn the stereo up very loud, so be careful when you go back to the radio, and turn it down first or you may burst an eardrum ;)
  • today I got my new vivid blue sport automatic,I had e-mailed many dealers in the northern califorina area.as you know many dealers are asking more than sticker price .I just have to put in the good word for san leandro honda no mark up no B.S. they sold me the car at list with no add on's and no pressure to purchase extras. in and out in under 2 hours.............happy hunting.
    After waiting six and a half months, I finally got my baby. :)

I am so completely thrilled!

I absolutely love this car and I cannot wait to drive it all over town.

I had a short and sweet transaction at the dealer, no tricks. I paid MSRP plus floor mats.

I almost cannot wait to put more gas in it to check the mileage. I topped off at around 35 miles after I got it to be sure to fill what the dealer had not.

:)
    Congratulations!!!

We're absolutely loving ours, too, and we all love going places in it at every opportunity. The kids never want to ride in the van anymore -- they want to ride in the 'pretty blue car.' When I told them we were going to have to take the van for one particular trip because it was larger, they insisted the Fit is a van, too, because it's so big inside despite looking small on the outside!

We're getting around 34-35 mpg already, despite the cold weather. :)
  • tguntgun Posts: 20
    Hey fitluver!

Congratulations, you finally got it!! FYI- I just got back from Vegas with the wife... get this, my Honda Fit Saleswoman and her boyfriend sat right next to us on the outbound flight. She told me that the wait is now 6+ months for new Fit's and that her dealership has stopped accepting deposits. Glad that I got mine last Summer!! Had to wait about 8 weeks, which is what she told me when I gave her my deposit.

I bet the wait for MT Fit's is even loooooonger than the AT version.

Can't wait for that new Honda factory in Indiana to get cranked up and start producing 200,000 Fits per year for the North American market to help meet the demand.

Getting 32-33 MPG in the bitterly cold weather (-20F to +5F), otherwise it's consistently 36-38 MPG. Just had it in for maintenance "B1" which is tire rotation, oil-filter-lube and some other inspections. Only got dinged $84 (had an internet coupon from dealer). This is only the second oil change since new. I have 14,215 miles on it now. The service advisor said that some Fit owners are not following the "maintenance minder" system. They are in the old habit of changing the oil at 3,000 miles. Unnecessary with the computerized maintenance minder which logs engine operating temperature, time running, revelutions per minute, throttle position, etc. All variables fed into a calculation to determine oil life.

Good luck with your new Fit, and be sure to report to us your reports!!
  • "I have an ipod shuffle that i use in the car all the time, and you can adjust the volume both ways, either on the stereo or the ipod. i usually have to turn the stereo up very loud, so be careful when you go back to the radio, and turn it down first or you may burst an eardrum"

this is not true. the Fit will remember what volume level you have set for each input, and will return to that volume when you switch back.

I keep my volume at 30 for the aux jack. there's a bit of niose, but my ipod battery lasts longer not having to psuh out at 80%.
  • I'll be picking up my black Fit Sport AT tomorrow morning. I'm really excited about having the car, but was not happy with the purchasing experience.

We visited a couple different dealerships. The first one wanted $2000 above MSRP for a red AT Sport, with the only "extra" being pinstripes. We took a test drive and loved it, but weren't willing to pay that much.

Ended up making our purchase from Tamaroff Honda in Southfield, MI. I had talked to someone from their Internet department, and they quoted me a price of $16,365, which is actually below MSRP. When I got to the dealership, they weren't really happy about it, but they stuck by that price. They refused to give us anything for our trade, however....they said they'd "take it off our hands" for free. No way! It's a 1997 Saturn SL2 with about 158,000 miles on it, still runs great. We haven't decided whether to sell it or donate it to charity yet. Anyways.....

I did at least get them to throw in floor mats for free. Price breakdown is:
    Vehicle: $16,365
    Doc Fee: $180
    Cargo Cover: $173
    Cargo Mat: $109
    All season Floor Mats: Free
    Taxes (Michigan 6%) $1009.62
    Title: $23
    Grand Total: $17,859.62

I wanted a red or white one for me, and they said they could get me one in a day or two by doing a dealer trade with another local dealer. After a week of phone calls ("I think we have one for you....Oh, wait, nope, sorry...") they found a white one, which we were supposed to pick up tomorrow morning. Then I called the dealership to get the VIN # to set up insurance, and was told that they won't have the white one until Tuesday. :cry: I'm just sick of the run-around with them, so I decided to take the black one since I can get it now and be finished dealing with them.

I know I'll be happy with the Fit....I just wish our experience at the dealership had been a little better.
    I bet the wait for MT Fit's is even loooooonger than the AT version.

I ordered my MT on Aug 1. Thats one longass wait.

We have had some pretty damned cold days lately too.

I am pleased that I was able to get 38.1 out of the first full tank of gas. :)

Now I just need to take time for a road trip. I cannot wait.

A friend of mine bought a MT and got delivery right after I got mine. I had fun showing her all the cool stuff the cars can do that she hadn't gotten to yet. :)

Thanks for the well wishes.
  • well how did it go? did you really get it for that price when all was said and done? sell that sl2 yourself and make some $$$, hope you enjoy your new fit....... :)
  • It went pretty well. That was our official out-the-door price. They didn't try to sell us any extended warranties or other add-ons, either. I think they wanted to be finished dealing with us ALMOST as much as we wanted to be done with them ;) We financed through an outside lender, and when we went and talked to the finance lady, she was impressed with how good of a rate we got, so that made me feel even better about the whole thing.

We did notice that there was a tiny little dent on the front hood. Ticked me off a little that they didn't notice it at final inspection. We have to take the car in on Tuesday to get the airbag computer reprogrammed anyways, so they're going to fix the dent then, too. Everything else was perfect....drove it around a little last night, and it's so much fun. I'm a little nervous about driving to work Monday morning, though....we're getting dumped on with freezing rain at the moment, so the commute might be a bit rough. Hopefully things will clear up before I have to leave. If not, I just figure I'll leave really early and drive very, very carefully :)

We ended up donating the Saturn to a charity that discounts cars and sells them to people in need of transportation. Made us feel good that we're helping someone out, and makes for a nice tax write-off, as well.
  • In early December I ordered a silver sport manual. Got a call on Friday that it had arrived so I picked it up today. I bought my car from Earnhardt Honda in Phoenix. They were great to deal with and didn't give me any pressure for any add ons or the extended warranty. They kept their word on the price and when the car was expected to arrive. My sales guy was great to deal with, he gave me periodic update calls to let me know the status of my car and he was a really nice guy. Overall I'm very happy with my experience with them.

I paid msrp:

car $15,765
    doc fee 369
    tax 1,229
    registration 274

Total price : $17,637

It's an awesome little car!!

On a side note, does anyone know what's up with car dealers requiring a social even when you don't finance? I was told they had to "run me" to make sure I'm not a terrorist. I guess the man is keeping track of where I spend my hard earned cash.
  • We also picked up one today in Southern California. Silver Sport Automatic. Confused about the price. Honda themselves MSRP is just above $15,900. I am seeing MSRP’s of 14,100 on some web sites. Anyway here is what I did:

Invoice: $15,255 – I insisted on seeing it.
    Agreed above invoice: $200
    Destination: $595
    Mud Guards: $150 – they got me - they were already on.

Total for the car: $16,200

Document: $55

Taxes (CA): $1,262

License and Registration: $180

Total out the door: $17,735

Paid Cash

Car seems great – haven’t really driven it.

Did I do Well??
  • b4wrnb4wrn Posts: 10
    If it was a sport model then the Mud Guards does not fit on the sport body-colored underbody kit. The mud guards only go on the basic model and I believe are black. If you do not have anything black behind the front wheels then you do NOT have mud guards on your vehicle.