Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• It goes to show some salesmen are slimy but it does not sound like she put a deposit on her car...sounds like he just "promised" it was there. I always used the online inventory thing on the car dealer's websites to show what colors they had and it was always accurate.
  • You got the price down to 15,709 for an automatic sport? Isn't that below invoice? I can't find anything below 16,600 in minnesota!
  • nichevonichevo Posts: 3
    We are buying a base 5AT Fit for 15,198. The dealership has been great, the only thing that sucks is delay in getting the exact car we want due to the high demand. We could have driven off the lot with one last week but, I really don't like orange.

So we wait for the one we want to come in and by next week, I should have a happy ending to the story.
  • klisselklissel Posts: 10
    Yes, it is below invoice, but I'm sure they pay less then the invoice to get it on the lot. Also, they get a kick back from honda for selling so many cars (they told me they sell the most cars in PA) in a month. So I guess they made their money by making a large amount of sales. The sales guy told me it was a great deal and that they are going to be selling them above invoice for now on because the demand is so high.

The 17,700 OTD is around the price my local honda dealer quoted me. I told the guy that I would buy the car right now for 17,000 OTD, and they said they couldn't do that. I called the dealer (asked to speak with the sales manager) that I bought the car from, and told them that if I was going to drive 90 min. to pick up the car it would have to be for close to $16,800 OTD for the auto sport if they were willing to earn my business. The sales manager called back in 5 minutes and told me they would be happy to do business with me and I paid a deposit over the phone using a credit card.

I don't know the market where you live, but I would ask all the dealers in the area for their best price OTD and let them know that you will be buying a new fit in the next 3 days. Also, wait until the end of the month to send out your email. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress. :)
  • watsacwatsac Posts: 49
    nichevo - that's a good price and still a few bucks below MSRP. I paid $15,049 about 2 weeks ago for the same car at a dealership near Baltimore. Be careful they don't 'lose' your order at that price; get the VIN as soon as you can.

BTW - where are you located and how big of a deposit did you give them?
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    I bought my Fit Sport Auto for $16,000 (tax and title extra, of course) back in April. I know that I paid kust invoice ($16,700 window sticker). I am in Northern NJ and DCH Honda had the largest inventory in Bergen county. When I tried another 2 dealers they could not match the price.
    There is a shortage of Fits and most dealers are cashing in....some of us are luckier than others I guess (to be below invoice on a hot selling car)....I never talk OTD since taxes and registrations vary from state to state....I like comparing bananas to bananas, negotiationg car prices with sales people is difficult enough for me..
    I did find one honda dealer in N.J. when I did my internet search, Sussex honda, and it was about 40 miles from my house and they wanted about 16,900 + Tax and Tags, So maybe prices in N.J. are higher then PA? Also, I did talk to the dealer on the phone and he told me how these cars are not marked up much at all and there is very little room if any to budge on the price, Blah, Blah, Blah.
    I was able to get the car through my insurance company which also has a car buying service, (the company is USAA.) Because of this, they have specific dealers that they work with, (where I live in central, NJ it is DCH Academy Honda), and they set the price with the dealer, usually it is around $200 above invoice.

The process makes things a lot easier and guarantees a minimum of hassles. The only deposit I had to put down was a $500 good faith deposit since they have to bring the car in from elsewhere.
  • kwingkwing Posts: 5
    This is getting pretty confusing - I don't think everyone is comparing apples to apples. It might help if people broke down what they mean by OTD - it obviously doesn't mean the same thing to everyone. Taxes are different from place to place as well as licensing fees. It would be better to know the actual cost of the vehicle before tax and license.
    So, what was the price for Silver Honda Fit Sport with Auto Trans before tax and license? It sounds like about $16,600?
    $16,800 OTD? What was the price of the vehicle before tax and licensing fees?
    The price before tax and tags was $15,709. With tax and tags 16,824.
    This is a copy and paste from my original posting.... shouldn't be too confusing.

2008 New Automatic Honda Fit Sport

Sales Price - $15,709

Tax (6% - PA) and tags and all fees $1,115

No Trade in - N/A

Out the door 16,824
  • I just find it confusing because you got a fit sport for 1000 under MSRP when fit's are pretty tough to find!
    good work though, I wish I could do the same.
    The dealer I bought from sells the most hondas in the state, so they get money back from honda on every sale per month. He did say it was a great deal and the only reason I got it is because the sales manager approved it. He also said that they are going to start selling them a little above invoice in the coming months because of the hot demand.
  • fitisgofitisgo Posts: 40
    You did indeed get a really good deal. The generally accepted dealer invoice price on this car is $16123. Dealers also get a 3% holdback/refund from Honda when they sell a car, which would be $501 on this model, taking the dealer actual cost down to $15,622. If you paid only $15,709, the dealer made less than $100 on the vehicle you bought, and if you factor in their other costs, the dealer lost money or, at best, broke even.

In the last 6 months I have bought 3 new 08 Honda Fit Sport Automatics for myself, my wife, and my son, and the prices I paid were (before tax/license) $16,322, $16,187, and $16,123.

I think you will see many Honda dealers charging MSRP (and getting it) of $16705 for this car as demand continues to increase (along with the price of gas).
  • watsacwatsac Posts: 49
    To readers who are located in the Baltimore area, the Northwest Honda dealership in Owings Mills, MD just received a shipment of Honda Fits and, as of 2:30pm today, 4 of them were still available. I'm posting this because that is where I bought my Honda Fit and had a pleasant experience. As a frequent contributor to this Forum, I thought others would want to know when and where Honda Fits are available.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,679
    Hoping for a big discount on a car with a miniscule markup that is in high demand and short supply will only cause you stress and frustration.

The MARKET will always determine pricing.
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ...well said!!!!! ....some of us do not understand how the business works...we are all part time buyers who deal with full time sales people,we are always at a disadvantage....best advise is to get informed very well so when a fair or good deal comes our ways we don't throw it away thinking that we can do better...in the FIT Sport AT invoice is $16k and sticker (including dest) is $16,735, I got mine in April and paid $16k and consider that I did well...good luck to all
    We are the largest volume Honda dealer in nine states and we sure don't "get money back"

At 4-500 dollars, when sold at MSRP, they are already a little above invoice!

At 1000.00 below invoice, they lost a lot of money.

Did you have a trade in?
    I had no trade in. They wouldn't of sold the car if they lost money. The dealer told me that they get money back for making so many sales. That's what he told me.

Why would any dealer sell the car if they were going to lose money? Especially, if the car is easy to sell right now.
    Picked up my Fit about three hours ago, it was a fun ride home although it will take some getting used to, (I was driving a Ford Ranger.) I lurked here for a bit reading and learning so, thanks to all of you for the information you provided.
    Congratulations on your purchase.

I am replacing a 1997 Ford Ranger as well. We are having a child and my wife wanted me to get a car that we can both drive with a car seat in. We decided to keep the Ranger as a third vehicle and not trade it in.

Here is the good news. By driving the honda fit everyday to and from work plus running errands as long as we put 12,000 miles on it a year, we will save over $500 in gas money compared to the 3.0 liter V6 Ranger. That $500 is enough money to pay for the ranger as a third car on our insurance policy. So basically moving from 2 to 3 vehicles is not costing us any extra money with the Fit's gas savings accounted for.
    "Why would any dealer sell the car if they were going to lose money?

You tell me. I have no idea.

Selling a car that is in high demand and short supply at a loss makes no sense whatever.
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Posts: 409
    I am going to have to agree with isell. I just "booked out" a used 2007 Fit Sport A/T with 12K on it here in edmunds. According to edmunds, this car used sells for $16609.00! KBB has the same used car at $17815.00 (wow!) and NADA has the car at $16275.00. So between the three most trusted valuation sites the average price for a USED Fit Sport A/T is $16899.00 - which is MORE then MSRP for a brand new one!

I'll give you a real world story however. In Febuaray of 2007 I sold a Honda Fit Sport A/T to a friend of mine. He drove it up until April of this year. In that time he put about 15000 miles on it. He advertised the car on carsoup and sold it in 24 hours for $300.00 MORE then what he paid for it. He hated to sell it but Northwest Airlines transfered him to Japan.

To address the other thing, the national advertised invoice is $16158.00 with $321.40 in total hold back (HTP+1%). Here in Minneapolis the mark-up for a Fit Sport A/T is $382.00 (thanks to our $200.00 co-op advertising fee for the six metro dealers) + $321.40. So the actual cost of a Fit Sport A/T is $15836.60 ($16036.60 in the twin cities).

So if you buy at MSRP or invoice you're getting an awesome deal and if you dont like the car you can always sell it and at the very least break even on it!
  • tronmechtronmech Posts: 1
    I bought a Honda Fit from Atamian Honda on the 19th. Let me tell you about our experience.

Before sale:
    + Came straight out and said that they can't keep Automatics on the lot, so don't expect haggling. OK, MSRP is pretty decent -- 16,705 for the fit sport. $17,943 once you add in the tax and doc fees.
    + When we said that our credit union could give us 3.5% APR on a 36 month loan, while they only had 5% APR, they bought their rate down to 3.99% and gave us $75 cash -- which is difference in the interest we would pay if we went with 3.5% from the credit union.
    + Didn't try to sell us stuff we didn't want or need (paint "protection", extended warranties, etc.) at least partially because we said up front that we didn't want them.

After Sale:
    - The only way I found out that my delivery date was when *I* called *them.*
    - The sales rep simply didn't want to talk to me when I called to check the status of the car.
    - They could not or would not explain why -- when the car has been sitting just 50 miles away for *4* days -- it hadn't arrived yet.
    - They would not "take ownership" of the delivery process, expecting everyone to just sit and wait for their car.

My personal favorite is this. I got a call from the sales rep today to explain why the car was still in the rail yard in East Brookfield, MA. He tried to tell me that the transportation coordinator told him that "the car comes in to the US in Portland, OR, and the floods in the Midwest have slowed down deliveries." This would normally fly, except that the car has been in Massachusetts SINCE BEFORE MONDAY. If you want to feed me a bunch of BS, at least try to make it Plausible BS. Don't insult my intelligence.
  • igloomasterigloomaster Posts: 249
    Both come with A/C, which is great. I'm leaning toward the base model Fit, as I don't really need all extras the Sport comes with (though they are nifty.) However, does anybody know if the base model comes with that cargo cover thing in the back? I can't find this info anywhere on the net. The dealer only had the Sport on the lot when I was there buying a Civic last month.
    The base model does not come with the cargo cover, also it does not have floor mats included. :(
    Sports don't come with floor mats either.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Posts: 504
    The floor mats and cargo cover are optional on both Base and Sport.