Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    I'm sure he'll be back to clarify his post, at some point.. but, I didn't read it that way at all...

The whole post was geared towards leaving the non-customer with a good feeling, in the hopes that they might be a future customer..

At least.. that's my non-cynical view.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    I would rather not assume what someone meant. I would say that is being practical as opposed to cynical. There is a big difference between "can" and "will". I will allow that some people may not know/understand that difference.

I know you have been around Town Hall a long time, so you have probably read posts from buyers who think that they must have their cars serviced at the dealership where they bought the car.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,881
    Well.... so far, I think you are parsing things a little too tightly.. After all, he was giving an example of how he approaches a non-deal, not a play-by-play of an actual customer interaction..

And.. as always.. I'm sure that I'm correct.. lol.. ;)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I'd happily pay MSRP for a 2009 Fit at this point -- how likely is that?

I just went to my nearest dealer here in north-central Florida (won't name them now) to put down a $500 deposit for "first right of refusal" (i.e., to get on the waiting list) for the new shipment expected soon. But first I wanted them to tell me what it would cost to walk out the door with the car.

The MSRP + destination fee for the trim level I want is $16,730, which I knew by checking online (for a Sport with manual transmission). This dealer won't sell me a car without adding on both a $500 non-negotiable "dealer fee," plus a $700 package that includes floor mats, wheel locks, and trunk tray. :mad: :sick:

I was ready to even go a bit above MSRP, but $1200?? Ouch! They might come down a couple of hundred, but probably no more. I'm definitely shopping other dealers now. Is anybody else having better luck? If not, I can wait 3-4 months for a car, so I may let the first wave hit the shores and try my luck later at a different dealer, or perhaps I should start looking at different cars...? Fiesta? Matrix/Vibe? I had my heart set on a Fit...
  • Nice way to take it out of contex. For the WHOLE sentance: "Hopefully you can still service the car here, but it's a Honda so I guess we wont get to see you too often."

Meaning, if you live close to me, you dont have to service at the dealer you bought from. Even though you're not a sales customer you're more then welcome as a service customer. Plus you toss in some small humor with the Honda repair records.

Based on the reaction from everyone else, I would say you are the only one backy, who thinks this comment was anything but innocent. When someone says, "I'm so hungry I could eat a cow.", do you tell them that no one could eat a cow?
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    No. But I would have said, "Hopefully you will still service the car here,...".

Thanks for clarifying your statement.
  • mquillenmquillen Posts: 71
    I would report him to the dealership owner, or the GM, or whoever signs his paycheck. Sometimes they don't care, sometimes they do. I'm sure someone like mnplshondadlr would like to know if their people are rude and obnoxious to potential customers. It's a small world, and some customers will go back to a dealer if they are treated well, even if they weren't as competitive as they'd hoped.
  • ladyproladypro Posts: 2
    salesman called today, 09 milano red sport auto vsa/nav mats and cargo tray sticker price 19,769
  • rei181rei181 Posts: 1
    I went to the dealer here in Hawaii after seeing a Blue Sensation on the lot. They just got it today. I really liked the color and driving around town it felt just fine. I would have bought it but they wanted $3000 !!!! over the MSRP of $17560. That was strictly the dealer markup because they hadn't had time to add the floor mats, pin stripe and other stuff that they put on every car for an additional $800. The salesman said they don't do any deals on Fits or Civics now but $3000 is ridiculous.
  • badselfbadself Posts: 39
    Sorry, nothing more I can say about that.
  • Dealer here in Portland, OR, area wants $2,000.00 over MSRP on a similar Sport and they consider that a special price only for their internet customers!
  • embeedueceembeeduece Posts: 260
    You said your Fits arrived via Portland, OR. Where is your dealership? In CA? Just curious. Thanks.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Unless I'm mistaken he's from Minnesota, and based on his user name the Minneapolis area.
  • Prices seem to be all over the place. I live south of Portland, Oregon. Don't want to get too specific but the dealer I pre-ordered a 09 Fit Sport AT with turned out to want $1,500 over MSRP. No way. I called another dealer and got a quote for $1,000 over MSRP. Finally, I found a very close by dealer who is selling at MSRP with no extras added on (stripes, etc.). Will now get my Fit in November instead of September because I changed dealers. But for $1,500 less - that is just fine.

You really do have to shop around.
  • alamocityalamocity Posts: 680
    Yes, you definitely have to shop around and be patient as I'm sure many dealerships will be in short supply for a little while and thus can afford to slap on those high add on fees.
  • Port of entry for the Honda Fit built in Japan is Portland, OR. And I am in Minneapolis.
  • Please tell me what ADM means. :confuse:
  • Test drove a black automatic '09 Fit Sport this afternoon at a dealer in east San Diego County, CA (Tipton Honda). This one was on the lot, unsold. The vehicle had a supplemental dealer sticker with mats, wheel locks, rear deck liner, plus a $2000 additional markup. Definite upgrade from the '08 I testdrove in early summer, but I can wait for the frenzy to pass. The dealer staff were polite when I said I was not interested at all in paying over MSRP. They said the best they could do is maybe $1K over right now. Gave my contact info and told them to call me when they had my model and color, with no markup or extra add-ons.
    I guess if you are seriously hot to get a black auto Sport and are willing to pay a big premium to be the first on your block to have one, give them a call.
  • If I can afford to pay "Adjusted Market Values" for the hot new vehicle in the market, and I am willing to spend my money for what I want, why does that make me an idiot? :confuse:

"Where is quality is the thing sought after, the thing of supreme quality is cheap, whatever the price one has to pay for it."
    WILLIAM JAMES
  • ADM is short for additional dealer markup which some dealers add to the MSRP for vehicles in short supply.