Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Fit Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    And the idea of a Honda dealer giving outrageous discounts on one of the best-reviewed, most in demand brand new models out there is amazing!
  • I live in Washington metro area. First made research, narrowed
    my search to two models: Toyota Yarris and Honda Fit. Then came
    to a local dealership, test-drove the vehicle. They asked the OTD
    (Out of The Door price, i.e. money you pay for driving vehicle home)
    $17,389.00. After half an hour dropped to $17,000. Came to another
    dealership, test-drove Toyota Yarris. Then came home, made a research.
    Decided to get Honda Fit. Took the list of dealerships from cars.com
    and started to send emails with a request of the OTD quote for Honda
    Fit, basic A/T. Stressed that the quote should include absolutely
    no extras, packages, options. Got several quotes. Got the lowest quote
    and sent the citation of that e-mail to another dealers with a suggestion
    to beat that quote. After 5-6 e-mails got the OTD quote $16,486. Went
    to that dealership. Was greeted by a lethargic lady in her up 20s with
    whom I had e-mail correspondence. Tried to lower the price. She did not
    want to bargain. Walked away. New round of e-mail requests for a quote.
    Got a quote from Sheehy dealership for OTD $17,463.39. Sent him a copy
    of my e-mail from the previous dealership that gave a quote $16,486.
    8 minutes 23 seconds later received from Sheehy a note "My manager says
    he can do the deal that you received from ...", i.e. one grand less that
    he quoted nine minutes before. Got another similar quote from Pohanka.
    Answered him that way:

Your Fit doesn't fit --
    a little bit --
    my budget need.
    Good rhyme, doesn't it?

To be honest, I understand these verses are lousy. But upon receiving this
    note, the dealer shaved 100 bucks off. I think per word Harry Potter
    yearns less. :-) On Saturday morning went to that dealerships. Inspired by
    post #1934, my wife offered 15,500 OTD. This did not go. The dealer shook
    his head. After 2 minutes we walked away from the dealership. My wife went
    to her car to wait. I went back. This time the dealer started from 16,900.
    Took about one hour. He lowered his quote to 16,450. Eventually, I told
    him if he could not honor his e-mail quote, I could not make a deal. That was
    true. Said "good buy". On my way out of the dealership went to the
    bathroom. When I was leaving the bathroom, the dealer stood near the door.
    He told me "you won". He meant his quote in the e-mail. We made a deal.
    Here is the price for Honda Fit A/T, basic, no extras:

Invoice...............................14,812 (Got this number from papers the dealer showed to me)
    MSRP..................................15,350 (From the sticker on the car)

Base price on vehicle my buyers order 15,716.12 (Including destination charges $670)
    Dealer processing fee:...................100.00
    VA sale tax 3.0% of 15816.12.............474.48
    VA tags and registration:.................94.50
    -----------------------------------------------
    Total paid by cash:...................16,389.10

Drove the car home. End of the story.
  • Hey,

I am glad you got the deal you were looking for! Honestly, I do hate sending around a deal that was proposed to me asking others if they want to compete. I know this is the recommended method by experts but I would never do it. I guess I am a softy...

Anyway, it seems like in your case it was good that you had a deal in writing that you could use as leverage and since the first place did not want to honor it, they kinda hurt themselves b/c you took your business elsewhere and wound up with what you were looking for.

It is too bad you had to spend any time in person making offers and haggling...I do not know why a solid deal could not be worked out over the phone. I guess going in was not bad though b/c they could see you were there, you were serious, and you were ready to buy a car!

I love my 09 Fit Sport, I love the way it drives...it is very nice. I too looked at the Yaris and I actually liked it quite a bit but it was so darn hard to get proper equipment like keyless entry..does the FIT BASE have keyless entry?

Anyway, congratulations on your new car!
  • moolmanmoolman Posts: 122
    Here's a repost of what I put on another forum. Hope my story helps.

Hi everyone,
    Well, I'm a proud owner of a White Fit Sport Auto with Navi. Picked up the car this afternoon, it wasn't too bad of an experience, did take like 3 hours and the standard BS. They tried to sell me the BS paint coating and Lo-Jack for $1600, then dropped to the "super low" "at cost" price of $595 but in the end just gave me the car after a bit since I was about to leave. I hate that kind of BS but it's their job so I can understand that. After that they were straight forward, no BS. The only reason why I even stuck around was that the car had 5 miles on it and was just PDI'ed. So nobody abused it on a test drive, which I like, so that was the only reason I stuck around. They just took off the plastic and I told them not to wash it so I don't get swirl marks all over the car.

I currently live in NorCal but bought the car in SoCal while visiting family today, I could of gotten the same deal at NorCal dealer but this place just matched it.

As promised the full details. I financed the car through my credit union at 4.75%@60 months, I did see some other credit unions that gave a better rate but I plan on paying off the car quickly, so I didn't care too much. They told me up front that they couldn't beat the rate because the Honda Days financing didn't include the Fit.

MSRP: $19430
    Invoice $18755

I paid: $18,500
    doc fee: $55 (max allowed by CA law)
    8% tax: $1484.40
    License: $206.00
    CA tire fee: $8.75
    Total: $20,254.15

Now my full disclosures since many people post prices and they don't mean jack squat because they fail to mention that they bought over priced accessories, got ripped off in their trade in etc.

I bought no accessories, I had no trade in. I did buy the 8year/120K $0 deductible Honda Care warranty for $895. The deal was in no way contingent on me buying the warranty. I kind of forced them to sell me the warranty. Online many of the dealers refuse to sell the Honda Care to California right now and the ones that do the lowest I could find for California was $990. But other sites have that warranty for $890 for the other states. The Honda dealer I went to does not normally sell Honda Care, they sell their own rip off warranty. The reason I paid an extra $5 was because the finance guy just asked that since $890 is cost, at least cover the paper work of writing up the contract so I agreed, still cheaper than the $990. He claimed that because they don't normally sell Honda Care there, they don't get much of a kick back like the online dealers that sell many of the warranties, hence the $5.

So I bought nothing extra to get my price, no trade in, no accessories, just the Honda Care which wasn't contingent upon the deal, more of a burden for them actually.

I think though that I might have left some money on the table, if I really wanted to squeeze them, maybe another $100 or $200 more. If someone had previously posted that they bought the car for $18,500 I may have pushed for more off since I knew it could be done but nobody here posted a lower price, so I just put that as my goal and I got it.

I know I sound awefully cheap squeezing every penny but don't cry for the dealer, I'm sure somebody today at the dealership bought the $1600, paint protection, Lo-Jack package for their Fit.

Alex
  • GawadGawad Posts: 1
    Hi,

Please tell me what dealer did you go to? I tried couple of delaers for Honda fit and the lowest I got so far is $16,773.

I hope the next couple of days I can get better deal.

Thanks
  • Koleso,

Excellent story. I appreciate all of the effort required to post your story, and your results. But it sounds like you went through a lot of work to get the final $100! Couldn't you have saved yourself a lot of time and negotiations if you had simply gotten the original $16,486 quote honored? Or am I wrong?
  • Here in San Diego:

I just paid $17,800.00 OTD for a 2009 Honda Fit, Sport A/T in Tidewater Blue.

So the base came out to being $16,267.00 before tax, licensing and registration fees. The only thing that sucked is that even with a good credit rating, the best rate they could give me was 6.99% financing over all periods. I just ended up paying cash for the whole thing.

Seems like a there are two dealerships in San Diego that are willing to go down to that price. I didn't want mats thrown in as I wanted to get the WeatherTech ones. Does anyone on this forum have them (and if they do, do they like them?) ?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    I have the Weather Techs in my Forester, fit great, work great. Minor issue-the ones for the back seat have a lip at the front not corresponding to the floor contour, could have been bigger.
  • I got my Honda Fit from Pohanka in Marlow Heights, MD.

Retrospectively, I think my wife's offering 15,500 OTD
    and then walking away was a wrong move. But this is
    just a speculation.
  • I just left a dealership, with a final OTD quote of $17,986 for a 2009 Honda Sport Fit manual transmission (no navi, no extras).

That's:
    $15,364 car
    $670 destination
    $21 tags
    >>> $599 <<< documentation fees
    8% GA tax

The documentation fees are absurd. BUT - even if I add $500 of that back into the price of the car (assuming $100 doc fees is more reasonable), it puts me at $15,864, which is still under MSRP of $16,060 before destination. Can't decide if I want to go for it or not, but imagine that the price might change tomorrow (as books close on the year tonight).... A second dealer here in Atlanta said they'd match but could never beat the price,.. just not sure.

What would you do?
  • Sorry to say but you got screwed! Go back and complain because my documentation fee is only $55!
  • moolmanmoolman Posts: 122
    No, no, no.. he didn't get screwed, let me be psychic here and predict that you are from California, hence the $55 doc fee, it's because California has a max doc fee by law and so do some other states. Georgia probably does not, hence the crazy fee but in the end, it all evens out because you take the doc fee into account when you are negotiating for the price. It's like ebay, you take the shipping cost into consideration when you are bidding on an item. That's why I hate when people complain about expensive shipping on ebay, heck they tell you up front what the price is. Same with the doc fee, it's a set fee up front so you just take it into consideration.
  • Hey Moolman,

I would like to comment on this sentence you wrote regarding up front doc fees:

"Same with the doc fee, it's a set fee up front so you just take it into consideration."

As a GA resident, I can tell you that when purchasing a car, Honda does not really tell you about how high the doc fee is and it does sort of come as a surprise. You have to either remember to ask...I remember negotiating 400 off MSRP on my 07 and found out there would be a 500 doc fee...I found out before going into the dealership and was disappointed on the phone but went ahead with the deal knowing I was going to have this fee in most Honda places.

This year I see the doc fees are almost 600 dollars and again, I was negotiating for a FIT, this one was pre owned, got a good price and then asked about fees and for 599 fee, the price on this preowned car was not good anymore, the OTD price was going to be more than I could spend...

So then, while you think it is all in the negotiation, it really is not because when supply is high you can get your typical 0-400 off MSRP and pay the 600 doc fee. If supply is low, maybe you can get a better deal but probably not significantly better on average and the dealer still collects the 600 fee.

I guess I am wrong if you have a low doc fee and pay above MSRP, then it would balance out to our scenario of getting a discount and paying a high doc fee but hopefully for now, people are not paying above MSRP....

ok thanks for listening to my two cents. I just think people do not buy cars often enuf to remember to ask about the doc fees. I guess they are on window stickers but not always and I never look at a window sticker in a dealership since on the FIT we should know what options are on the car and we know the MSRP of the car since it was selling at MSRP for a while....

:) :)
  • $15999 OTD according to sales agreement I signed yesterday ($300 off MSRP, doc. fee only $100, tax and tags.)

I have not been through F&I yet, but already pre-approved for 5.99% APR for up to 60 months. Dealer says they can beat APR also.

If F&I doesn't grind me too much, this'll be a pretty good deal...
  • lausylausy Posts: 14
    Everything is negotiable, including the doc fee. I live in MD and have bought cars in MD and VA. VA dealers are notorious for having a higher doc fee of $300 to $400 compared to $100 in MD. It's just more built in profit for the dealers. When they say everyone pays it, just tell them to take it off the price of the car and see what they say!
  • Just got home with Fit Sport, Auto Transmission, NO navigation system.

Ralph Schomp Honda, highly recommend them if you don't want to feel dirty buying a car.

Selling Price: $17,580
    Taxes @ 4.1%: 720.78

Total OTD: $18,300.78

That's it, no other fees of any kind. I've seen other posts at or below invoice, but in calling around here in Denver the Fit is still at or above MSRP. I didn't go onto other lots looking, only dialed internet managers and asked for quotes.

Low pressure dealer, F&I guy nicely explained other features we could purchase that were declined. These included:
    - extended warranty
    - free tires, windsheild and other small maintenance items for life,
    - chip/dent repair
    - clear coat/interior protection
    - LoJack

Out of all of these the tire/windshield sounded the most interesting, at around $1300. My insurance covers windshield replacement, and without being able to do a comparison to know how many tire changes this added up to I didn't feel comfortable buying on the spot.

Financing was 5.25% for 60 mos, could have gotten 5% at 48 mos, our option to put $ down or not (they would finance up to 100% of the purchase price).
  • could you share the name of the dealership in San Diego and I'll give them my business.
  • It was DCH Honda of Lemon Grove.

Just got the car today, and it was awesome. They were great to work with, no nonsense and straight up. It's a very nice dealership too (they just build it in May).

The Fit is beautiful.
  • i'm in the bay area looking to get the same car you got. what dealerships around here will go for 18500 or less? what dealership in socal did you buy from? i'd be willing to drive down for the best deal. best offer i got so far in the bay area is 18900.

thanks
  • You would drive from the Bay area to L.A. to save $400.00 :confuse: