Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would Ford Ever sell Lincoln?

bigo08bigo08 Posts: 102
BMW could do so much with the Lincoln brand.. it could bring this ones prestige brand back to the top. wat do u guys could happen??

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Why would BMW waste money on a luxury brand like Licoln, when themselves already got it right. :confuse:

Rocky
  • I also don't see any logic to such a buy. I think BMW got themselves burned enough with Rover to stay away from dead brands. Lincoln has been so "not hot" since the 1930s that I personally am amazed it's still around.

Revitalizing Lincoln is Ford's job alone I think.
  • socala4socala4 Posts: 2,427
    I also don't see any logic to such a buy. I think BMW got themselves burned enough with Rover to stay away from dead brands. Lincoln has been so "not hot" since the 1930s that I personally am amazed it's still around.

Revitalizing Lincoln is Ford's job alone I think.

I agree with that. Lincoln has no brand value, plant and equipment, R&D, distribution channel or locked-in market share that others either need or can't build on their own.

The overall Ford business or an entire region's operations might be a worth acquisition target at some point, but a single nameplate doesn't offer anything of value to anyone. BMW can simply outcompete Lincoln, and wait for Lincoln's demographic to die off. Lincoln will need an image change with vehicles to match if it is to gain back its position as a status nameplate.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,652
    I agree. Why on earth would BMW consider such an idea? What would they gain? Another competitor for BMW? It wouldn't make any sense whatsoever.

Bob
  • Maybe Chery will buy it. :lemon:
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 732
    I think Ford would just put the brand out to pasture with Olds and Plymouth rather than sell it.

What would be attractive to a potential buyer? R&D...uh no, market share...try again, dealer network...not so much.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• Ford is wasting Lincoln, but nobody would buy it. All Lincoln has to offer is the name. Lincoln has no factory, no dedicated engine, no dedicated platform....there's nothing in Lincoln if Ford were to spin it off.

And why would anyone want it if Ford made it something (gave them a factory, etc)? The factory would come with the UAW (no foreign company is going to want that). Any platform they'd get would be dated. And Ford's not going to give them a NEW engine.

Ford needs to revitalize this brand. RWD platforms with a minimum of 250hp. None of this FWD stuff...that's not where Lincoln should be. And not sharing bodies with Mercury and FORD products.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,664
    Cadillac was wallowing in mediocrity for maybe the last 25 years before it was brought back to life. Lincoln has been totally comatose for 50 years...I don't think it's going to be resurrect-able.
  • I don't agree that "Lincoln has been totally comatose for 50 years" or that it's not "resurrect-able." I think Ford's doing it all wrong now, but it's not too late.

And for the past 50 years, Lincoln has had some spectacular products including the Mark II, Continental (1961-1969), Mark III, Mark VII, Mark VIII, LS, and even the 1995-2002 Continental. While I don't personally like it, the Navigator has done wonders for the brand. I can't see how this leaves the brand comatose for the last half century.
    Well "spectacular" is not what the majority of buyers would have called them. I think maybe you might be in the vast minority on that one. Aside from modest interest in the suicide door 60s cars (which are respected for design but not mechanics), most of the other cars you noted have been subjected to as much ridicule as praise....so the brand hasn't really excelled in any area was my point.

Just about anything Lincoln produces falls off the radar screen pretty quick.

Perhaps "comatose" is too severe a term but really, Lincoln hasn't hit a home run since the 1940s with the Zephyr and the 50s with the Mark I....the rest of the cars are mostly in the dustbin of history, or will be. Few people get excited about them.

Given the enormous, staggering, mind boggling sums GM has thrown at Cadillac, I personally don't think Ford will make that committment to Lincoln.
  • I don't believe I'm in the minority, from my experiences. The Lincoln-Zephyr and original Continental ("Mark I") were definitely noteworthy and "home runs." The Mark II (in the 1950s) was not a huge success at the time, but today is still looked upon as a spectacular car...as is the Continental of the 1960s. The Mark III is one of those personal things with me, but the Mark VII and Mark VIII have large followings of admirers.

I agree that Ford is not making the proper committment to Lincoln, and they should be shot for it!
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    1930s Lincoln Zephyr
    1940-48 Lincoln Continental
    1956-57 Continental Mark II
    1961-69 Lincoln Continental
    1968-71 Mark III

OK, it hasn't been 50 years, but only 35.

Though many wouldn't consider them classics, I love those humongous 1977-79 Lincoln Town Cars with the classic stand-up grilles. Heck, I almost bought a mint 1977 model instead of my 1979 Buick Park Ave. but was afraid that huge 460 V-8 would eat me out of house and home. I also like the 1986-89 Town Car and the 1995-97 Town Car.
  • ubbermotorubbermotor Posts: 307
    Lincoln saw 1936 sales increase more 10 times over 1935 sales due to the introduction of the Zypher. They sold 16,000 cars instread of 1,500. Of course the fact that a Zypher cost $1,300 and a Model K cost $4,200 would have had nothing to do with that. (A '36 Ford started around $500.)
    I think that most Lincolns from the 70s on up are now dime a dozen cars, and this in itself hurts the brand's chances for a comeback. It's hard to "recapture a legend" if there isn't one, in other words. Most people who remember Lincoln as a really grand, prestigious car are now dead. Sure--- every car has its admirers, but that's not the same as a cultural "icon" like Harley or Corvette might be.

Even with gazillions invested, the world is still not so sure Cadillac is a car worthy of global respect, as it once was 50 years ago. And Lincoln is so far behind Cadillac, one wonders how this would ever be accomplished for Lincoln.

If anything, Lincoln has to run as fast as possible from its 70s and 80s image, (like Cadillac did--it's no more the "old man's car") which doesn't leave it much to hang its hat on. At least Cadillac had the glorious 50s.

As you can tell, my personal view of Lincoln's future is very pessimistic. :cry:
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,921
    A better question might be "Would Anyone Buy Lincoln?"
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...two reasons:

If Cadillac and Lexus didn't exist.
    If Cadillac and Lexus became too expensive.

Under these conditions I might consider a Town Car. The rest of Lincoln's lineup leaves me cold. A gussied-up F-150? Blecchh!!!
  • au1994au1994 Posts: 732
    If we were in the market for a luxury or near luxury sedan, I would look at the Zephyr. Just based on the pics, its not bad looking outside or inside and performance would not be much of a consideration as my wife would be the primary driver. That's not a big deal to her, although she really likes the power in her Volvo S40 T5. It's not a deal breaker for her though. Plus with the inevitable incentives that would be available, we'd probably give it a look.

The MKX looks promising, but everything else does not appeal to me.

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,594
    for the most part. I don't care for the rear-end, because the taillights just look like they belong on a much bigger car. I really like the front though, with its wide grille flanked by a nicely proportioned headlight cluster that recalls the old quad-lamp setups of days gone by. And the interior is nice.

But I don't know if it's nice enough for me to consider a Zephyr over a Mercury Milan or a Ford Fusion.

The Town Car is one of those vehicles that in theory I should like, but I just don't. It's big, RWD, V-8, and easy on the eye, but I just don't care for it. For one thing, as big as they are I don't think they're that roomy inside. I swear those older, boxier 1980's styles were roomier. I've noticed that with the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis too...the older, boxy style just seemed roomier, more plush, and more comfy.

Also, they just seem cheap inside. It's like all the cost-cutting and hard plastics from the lesser Fords is finding its way into the Lincolns. I think Lincoln has always had that problem though, moreso than Cadillac.

You can put leather seats and power everything in a cheap car, but it still just comes off as a cheap car. They need to pay attention to other things, such as plastics, the grade of the carpet, switchgear, etc.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    IMO, Lincoln, once my favorite brand, has nothing to sell anymore. Ford has cheapened this brand to a Buick level, and there is nothing to offer anybody as a brand anymore.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    A luxury Lincoln is a self contradiction. There's not the value difference between the Crown Vic and the Town Car.