Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would Ford Ever sell Lincoln?

Comments

• jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    Jag and Land Rover had the worst reliability and maintenance costs of almost any cars even after Ford pumped millions (billions?) into them.

And it looks like Tata is going to have to do the same. Was watching Bloomberg earlier in the week and it was stated Tata may have miscalculated on what it's actually going to take to make them two viable. Rumblings is at least $1B U.S.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Jag and Land Rover had the worst reliability and maintenance costs of almost any cars even after Ford pumped millions (billions?) into them.

You are behind the times a bit. L/R was still very unreliable despite Ford's efforts, but they had just finished production on the BMW designed Range Rover with this last iteration that has a Jaguar engine in it. JAGUAR otoh, had acquired one of the best reliability ratings per JD Power, in initial quality as well as 3 year reliability. Ford completely turned that around. The problem was, they never got a product out there that would sell enough copies to make a profit.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,120
    It was reported last week that, with Mercury being phased out, that Ford management is reviewing the Lincoln brand, and that all options are being considered. Don't know what that means, other than anything is possible.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    " Is there a Lincury in your future?" ;)
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,073
    What a Lincoln Should Be!

• berriberri Posts: 4,007
    Who'd buy it? I don't think the Chinese or Indians are that dumb. They've already got enough models to steal the western auto technology.
  • berriberri Posts: 4,007
    Totally agree Lemko. People forget that Lincoln's used to be unique and very well built cars deserving of their old luxury reputation. Now they are a Ford with a little different sheet metal.
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    They won't be selling Lincoln. The question is more will they shut it down like they will Mercury. There is nothing for a would be buyer of Lincoln - no models that aren't fancied up Fords.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,073
    ...I would seriously consider purchasing and it's going away:

Yeah, I could definitely see you in one.

Here's one I could see Andre in.

• fintailfintail Posts: 32,923
    I could see either Andre or Lemko in one of these :shades:

Oh, absolutely!
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,305
    The Genesis of this design appeared in 1997. 14 years later the same 4 speed and 4.6 engine. Whoopeeee! :P
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    At the top of an hour this afternoon, the radio news came on, and I heard that Ford has finalized the decision and that Mercury will be phased out. What will this mean for the Lincoln-Mercury dealers? Will they become Lincoln-Ford dealers? Could the typical L-M dealership get by on Lincoln alone? I really doubt it.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    They'll either make it as Lincoln only (with more products) or they'll combine with Ford dealers or Ford will buy them out.

Lincoln gets 7 new or updated models in 4 years with unique engines and other features.
    With the Automotive magazines harping on the "over priced" nature of Lincoln, I doubt that the division could stand alone for long without Fords in the showroom. :shades:
    They only harp on them being overpriced when they're rebadges like the MkZ and MkX. That will change and while they will share platforms you'll see unique sheetmetal and interiors plus Lincoln exclusive features and powertrains to further differentiate them from the Ford models.

This will show up over the next 4 years as each model is introduced or redesigned.
    I hope you are right!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    I am an old Lincoln guy. Bought my first Lincoln in 1990 (A Continental) followed by 3 more Lincolns over the next 13 years. I loved Lincolns. However, I left them because they had nothing to offer in a Sedan anymore, as the LS was too small, and the Townie was too old. Have been driving Lexus since.

I still think fondly of Lincoln, and respect the product they are bringing out as better than they have had for a while, nevertheless, I see them as a Buick competitor now, and really feel they have fallen a notch from where they used to be when they were competing with Cadillac at least. Although Cadillac's new SRX is really a Chevy Equinox under the skin, and of course the Escalade which is a Tahoe, the rest of their lineup is pretty much unique.

I don't think Lincoln can win me back, as much as I'd like to support Ford. They don't have an "outstanding car" for me yet. Hope they will change that.
    They *just* started the Lincoln rebuilding. It might take them longer than 2 weeks to come up with the new stuff!

It sounds like they are now committed to Lincoln and killing Mercury was actually a good sign. I think they'll continue to get better over the next 4 years and hopefully get a new RWD flagship platform in the process.