Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would Ford Ever sell Lincoln?

13»

Comments

• wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    edited August 2010
    So Mercury is dead! My daughter recently was negotiating to buy a new Honda CRV so I threw in my 2002 Mountaineer Premier for her to use as a trade in. Then, I bought my daughter's 2007 Grand Cherokee outright from her at retail NADA value, minus the low NADA trade value of the Mountaineer. I'll drive my 2005 Escape and wait for Ford to produce the 2011 Mustang I put on order. My wife will drive the Jeep. And I was actually the original owner of the Jeep, but that is another story. I'll spare you further details... :confuse: (It gets even deeper)
    And it certainly appears that Ford will NOT sell Lincoln!
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    I was relieved to hear Ford is killing Mercury and reviving Lincoln. Ford needs a luxo badge to compete with Cadillac, BMW, Lexus and the likes. What I am reading is Lincoln is going to be coming out with a barrage of new vehicles over the next 3 years. I am confident Lincoln will reclaim its spot in the American Luxury market in the next 5 years. Look how far Cadillac has come..
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 22,007
    I checked in here about 2 1/2 months too late, and that pic is showing up as a broken link. What was it?

I think the problem with Lincoln these days is that the cars just don't seem that big a step above the Fords they're based on. At the Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA back in June, we test drove a Lincoln. I get my M's mixed up, but at this point I can't remember if it was the Fusion-based model or the Taurus-based model. It was nice, but it just didn't seem all that.

I forget whether it was Grbeck or Lemko who said it, but I remember one of tem summing it up quite nicely... "Lincoln: what a Mercury should be!"

I do still kinda like the Town Car, but I swear it feels like they've cheapened them over the years. I have a friend whose aunt bought a used '95-96 or so a few years back, to replace a mid/late 80's model they had, and it seemed really nice inside. In comparison, the newer ones almost seem like a taxi cab with leather seats.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,699
    As Ford has said repeatedly they had to fix Ford first and then Lincoln. The Lincoln plan has just begun. The new MKX is close except they couldn't change the greenhouse yet. With Ford making $5B in 6 months without the new Fiesta, Focus and Explorer I think they'll be fine. If Lincoln isn't any better in 3 years then they deserve all the criticism. Until then you're just jumping the gun.
13»
This discussion has been closed.