Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 350

Comments

• sfcharliesfcharlie Posts: 402
    Hello, wwest .... yes, I figure the salesman doesn't want me to take a wait and see attitude. Maybe I'll look around to see if there's a used 330 with PP so I can at least get a feel for how Lexus implements that technology.

I don't need real SUV off-road capability, but I am intrigued with the forthcoming RDX anyway. What have you heard about it as competition for the RX? The only AWD moments I encounter are rain and the occasional short stretch of dirt road, so my needs are AWD-lite.

Thanks for the conversation about this.
  • la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    Please keep us posted if you find a 350 with PP to drive, and what you find out. I'm looking forward to know how it will be optioned (what other packages, equipment on it).

Although a cut above other RX's, I don't expect the handling to be as sharp as the RDX, but the two are have different attributes. The RDX will be a new model, likely with a few bugs to sort out here and there. It has great technology in the areas Acura has developed (like traffic and surround sound).

On the other hand, the RX is a redesigned model on a proven platform with the likelihood of a smooth ownership experience (kinks worked out), and the RX's technology emphasizes making the car interface with the driver easier on an daily and ongoing basis.

I am really looking forward to the RDX and CX7 when the real cars are out!...
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    I can only speak to my wife's x 04 330 and her new 07 350. Oddly, it is the same color inside and out. It looks identical except for the Nav screen in the new one. I always thought her 04 felt like a rebadged Toyota. Her 07 feels like a Lexus. . .amazingly quiet, surprisingly quick, and smooth as butta as it ought to be. They've nailed this car.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    So the 04 330 wasn't quiet, or quick, or smooth?

Strange how an engine can make all the difference in the world...
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I had pretty much settled on the RDX for my next SUV-lite (SUV-l....??) purchase but the "business" of the panel/dash was very off-putting. Additionally I have an inate reluctance to leave the Lexus "fold".

So at the moment my purchase is on hold until I get to at least test drive the RDX and see what the 2007 RX400h has to offer.

And now that the VC is "back" in the RX350 I'm very curious to see how the inherent conflict between full control of/by traction control and the use of a VC will be worked out.

My 2001 AWD RX300 has both, traction control and a VC, but I'm pretty sure the functionality of its traction control is such that the VC can never self-heat to a level sufficient to bring it into functionality.
  • hbc75hbc75 Posts: 36
    I have to put my two cents in here. Two of my family members purchased '04 Lexi RX330, and haven driven both on opposite coasts, I can tell you this. The seacoast Oregon hills made the RX scream to get up them, and was not a good fit for towing. In fact, they traded it in a year later for the GXV8 version. The other RX resides in the hills of Connecticut and the shifting isn't as smooth as the '07. I drove the '07 two weeks ago, and was very highly impressed by the new engine. It's quicker off the mark, and the gears seem to shift at lower rpm's so that the engine doesn't buck as it does in the '04. Still, both are very nice, but the '07 also seemed so smooth in turning, did they do something different for the roll effect to not be so greatly pronounced as in the previous models? Just a thought, but if I can get as good of a deal on an '07 w/ nav and prem. plus pkg, I am going to go for it. I thought the Nav screen was much more clear than in the past version. I even drove a hybrid by the push of the salesman just for the "experience", and it was just that. If you get a chance to drive a Hybrid, I recommend it, it will freak you out when you are idling, you think the car has stalled, but it is just as quick as the '07 engine! I can't justify the extra 3k spend, but hey.... to each their own.
    May I suggest buying an RX400h but without the GPS/Nav to even the prices out and get a Garmin that you can use even in rental cars.
  • denali1denali1 Posts: 21
    We didn't drive the RX400h nor the 06 RX330 before purchasing the 350. I think if anyone wants the Hybrid, it makes some sense to skip the Navigation to save some money.
    I believe the 07 we saw with the Navigation pkg included the Bluetooth, voice activation, and the backup camera.
    Just didn't seem worth it to me.
    One of the car magazines is doing a comparison on the Honda and Toyota hybrid sedans. They claim one would have to drive the Camry hybrid over 100K miles to save enough fuel to pay for the extra price of the vehicle.
    Fuel savings isn't the only reason for going with a hybrid I guess, but I can't justify the extra expense for me.

BTW, the RX350 is one of the quietest vehicles I have ever driven.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    yeah- but with the built in Nav system, you get the **backup camera.** I'd use that every day! -whereas the Nav system, only once in a while.
  • 46494649 Posts: 24
    I agree, I have the 04 RX330 and use the back-up camera everyday. You would be surprised how often you use the Nav system! I am thinking about upgrading to the 350 once I hear some more feedback on this forum!!

Dennis
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    the 04 was plenty quick, but NO, it was not exceptionally quiet and smooth in the stunning way that Lexus typically separates itself from a Toyota sibling. I'm saying the larger engine moves this car more quickly with less noise and more authority. IMHO they've done a ton of work to quiet this car to Lexus standards.
    Besides the 350 that my wife just bought, we have an 06 Toyota Avalon. It also is on the quiet side. At least all that have been passengers have commented on the quietness.
    Bought both vehicles from the same dealer. Dealer says both have the same engine. Was also told the windshield is a little thicker on the 350 than the previous model. I am sure there are other reasons for its quietness as well.
    In any event, dardson1 is correct. The 350 is very quiet.
    According to this website, it is available there, perhaps because it would not be coming from the Canadian plant?

http://www.lexusofmaui.com/vehicles/RX/price.asp
    I drove an ML 350 yesterday in the rain here in San Francisco, partly because I've gotten so used to the tiptronic shifter in my Passat and BMW that I had trouble not feeling like a passenger when test driving an RX 350 with a pure-automatic. It cornered fast on wet pavement with no hesitation or roll and took hills up and down smoothly and quickly with steering-wheel shifters.
  • plhawleyplhawley Posts: 2
    We are ready to purchase the new RX350--test drove it yesterday along with the Land Rover LR3, Benz ML350 and BMW X5. Nothing else seemed to compare for the money. My agony now is the color. I know I want black interior but having to pick an exterior color based on the small chips in the brochure is not easy! The only one they had in the showroom was silver which I do not want. We have our choices narrowed down to Black Onyx and Chrystal White Pearl. My husband is worried it is too much of a contrast which is why we are thinking of the black. I like the white as it won't show dirt or salt (during the winter). Has anyone seen the white with the black interior--if so, any opinions on how it looks? I know color is a personal choice but...
    You didn't test drive the RX400h....SHAME.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 320
    Nothing looks better than black.
    But... nothing is harder to maintain than Black either. Every water mark and wax swirl shows up on Black.
    But- if it's clean- it looks great.

However- living in the desert southwest, black cars with black interiors just don't make sense around here. too hot.
  • hbc75hbc75 Posts: 36
    I have seen the white with black, it looks good, not much contrast at all. In fact the white on the lexus is so nice, I comment everytime I see one, and say, they have the best paint! I was even considering it for my purchase, but think I am going with the flint mica/grey interior combo. It will be best for me, I can keep the outside of a car cleaner than the inside for some odd reason.. and I've had black, and you see every mark on the seats. Good luck in deciding your color... and Happy driving, reply back and let us know how it went etc....
    Congratulations plhawley on your decision to purchase the RX350.
    My wife sure likes hers after a week. Her color is the flint mica that hbc75 is leaning towards. She really likes the color. Her interior is black.......very sharp,so far anyway. Hope we don't have marks showing inside down the road.
    The Lexus white is beautiful, as is the black. Our previous vehicle was black, and I echo others comments: Nice when clean, but watch out when anything gets on it.
  • plhawleyplhawley Posts: 2
    Well, I went with the Flint Mica with black interior. What a tough choice! Was all decided on the white with black, ordered it last night (was told it would be a 2 month wait as white is manufactured in Japan; others are manufactured in Cambridge, Canada). This morning, the sales guy called to ensure I did not have a change of heart, so I changed to Flint Mica and will get it in 2 weeks! I promised I would not change my mind again!!! For some reason, I found the white more "feminine," so thought Flint Mica was a better choice if I ever let my husband drive it.