Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota 4x4 Problems

124»

Comments

• My 2005 Dodge Dakota 4x4 V6 also started shifting in and out of 4wd by itself and doing it when even the engine is off. My shop said the Front Control Module "probably" needs to be replaced. It costs about $600. Has anyone replaced that part to solve this problem? If so, any recommendations on where to buy this part on-line cheaper? I only plan on keeping truck for another year so I would buy a used one. Any idea the part number?
  • I am having the exact problem with the same year/make Dakota. Did the Front Control Module fix the issue? The dealer has replaced that part and one other control module, and we are still experiencing the problem of it shifting to 4wd by itself.
  • Replacing the FCM (Front Control Module) did not fix it. They had to also replace the Encoder Motor. Once that was replaced, the issue was fixed. However, I am still unsure if the FCM ever needed to be replaced. The encoder motor cost around $350 for the part.
  • va165va165 Posts: 3
    Rich28, have a 2001 5sp man Quad 4x4 as well. Dealer giving the run around. Wife having issues when turning corners-t-case doing it's own thing-partial enguagement-makes a horible noise-vehicle shakes/binds up. Owned truck since new-found a recall online-has been posted since 2001????never got mail from dealer stating this 'safety issue' once called-had to give dealer info I researched myself, including recall campaign number-which is 01VO77000, 975. number of vehicles listed is 170800. apperantly-CD has a engeneering issue with this 'new-shift-dial in the dash electromechanical upgrade' not new anymore since 2001. hopefully they put this design in the tank-stinks. NV233 tcase another issue-not a syncromesh-goof design as well-CD's explanation is its better design- if you dont mind the cluncking/clashing noises under your drivetrain-they claim this is normal-dont know what they are selling-typical car salesman/dealer svc dept-commissions involved-doesnt matter. Iv'e been to the dealer twice on this recall-they allegedaly reprogramed my transfer case control module-no go. dealer wont go any further without me spending $ on a witch hunt.funny thing is one salesman asked me if I felt like trading up to a newer model-answer was sure....around the corner at the GMC dealership-wont buy another dodge truck ever-warranty/safety recalls/bulletins are just words on a page to this company-would have tanked recently if ol'e Obama didnt bail their butts out. va165 good luck-iv'e temporarily disconnected my 4x4 feeds/power sources-running in 2wd only-rarely use 4x4-lock up problem isnt fun going around corners-better safe than sorry.
    My fellow Dakota brotheren-w/ 2001 in dash 4x4 shift in dash. Mine is a 5 sp man. doesn't matter-auto trans the same. I have 4.7 V-8 V-6 same as well. What the dealer will not come to the plate on is simple: the 'new design' for this year and a few subsequent was a mess in research/fab/development department! plain and simple. I have owned MANY 4 wheel drives over the years-they are NOT, I repeat, NOT supposed to enguage on their own! bottom line!!!!!!
    My 1976 power wagon 4x4 works just fine-378,000 miles-never had a 4x4 'enguage' on its own-then have some whatever....at dealer or 1-800# tell me that their responsibility is none!! must see dealer for diagnostic/fix-of coarse on my dime. B.....S...... enough said
    Dealer will 'try' to reprogram the 4x4 module-want to sell you a new one! Then they will attempt to sell you an encoder motor...more$ So after they throw all these new parts at it at your expense-more than likely the problem will become a fart in the wind-gone. However, not one person I have spoken with on this matter that is of any substence, Ex: Qualified tech , can nail this issue down to any one component! All in agreement are singing to the same sheet of music-DESIGN FLAW!!!! Components weren't 'dialed in together' ohms,frequency,compatibility, etc.....I have offered the local dealership service manager my keys for the weekend-see what happens....no takers-they know whats up! enough smak... dont let them pull wool over your eyes!! if there are enough of us-we can make a bigger splash in the pool vs. just one! all have a great holidays-gonna take the F150 out tonight-It's snowing-figured the boy scout motto.....be prepared-cuz the Dakato ain't hangin.VA165.
  • :lemon: I stopped following Chrysler products around 1999, I was sick of everyone laughing at me for being a "dodge boy", well, not so much that. I finally saw what everyone meant after I owned a couple...
    I read all sorts of negative things about the Dakota and it's v6, I just didn't realize how unreliable Dodge's still are, I just went through the Dodge forums, my God, what a mess. Deep down I think I still have something for Dodge, It must be lingering from when I was a kid...but wow, I could never own one again....I feel bad that they never could get it to gether...and why stick around and play if you can't play nice...? I guess that's a whole other story...
    Correct, TCCM is the deal-dealer will 'reprogram' according to my post/bulletin#97 on this site for free of charge. However, the unit doesnt need reprograming-needs to be thrown in the nearest garbage can and replaced-of coarse at the owners expense-manufacturer pleads the 5th. maybe the new one will be made stateside like original 'American' vehicles were produced-dont be surprised if it says on new part: Bangledash, ethiopia, china etc..... good luck! Va165
  • nburkmannburkman Posts: 2
    My 05 did this as well to fix it they put a new t-case shift motor in the truck it ran $648.00 after instal but it has not shifted on its own anymore mine was so bad it did it with the key out of the truck while sitting parked
  • nburkmannburkman Posts: 2
    I am looking to put a new exahust system on my 05 Dakota 4x4 I would like a deep throaty sound what is the best way to get that deep sound out of my truck
  • geobcongeobcon Posts: 11
    The pilot shaft end bearing failed and damaged the end of the shaft where it enters the clutch assembly. Also the ID of the throwout brg sleeve is scored about 1 1/2 " back into the sleeve. Are there replacement parts for the pilot shaft and throwout brg sleeve? I can send you pictures of the components as well as part numbers found on the bell housing to give you a pictoral view of the parts if required. Looking forward to your early response in that my wife doesn't like to lend her car
  • oootinmanooooootinmanooo Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    my check engine light is on when i start my truck in the am. i have no power from starting point to 60km per hour. after driving the truck for an hour or 2, the engine light shuts off & normal start & stop power is back. please help! it's a 2001 dakota v6 4x4 auto. all fluids are full and oil changed regularly
  • i have a 2005 dodge slt quad cab when i use my powere door locks or my key to open door it engages my transfer case motor and puts into 4 wd i use the electronic switch on dash sometimes to get it out sometimes my 4lo light on dash flashes does anyone have any ideas
  • hey let me know my problem is when i use my power door locks it engages my transfer case motor and when i use my key to get into my truck let me know
  • carvermancarverman Posts: 101
    edited December 2011
    The transfer case is shift controlled electronically. There is a TCCM (Transfer
    Case Control Module + the encoder motor sensor + the selector switch on
    the dash. The problem may be in any one of those three. best to take it to
    a dealer and use the DRB scan tool to analyze the fault.
  • today my trucks 4 lo light flashed 3 times them repeated while driving down the interstate.later i was backing up out of a parking stall and it dropped into 4 lo on its own took 3 times of forward and reverse to get it to go anywhere. does sound like your problem if so what did you find out?
  • I ended up having to take it in and the problem was the 4wd control chip which needed to be replaced. I think I ended up spending about $600 to get it fixed.
124»