Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Audio Questions

Comments

• I have an 07 Limited (same sound system as the Ultimate) and the Infinity does make a big difference. I think it sounds great for a factory unit.

Things to consider:

1. What do you want the stereo to do?
    2. Are you ok without having the steering wheel controls because if you change out to an aftermarket unit, you'll lose those controls unless you purchase another aftermarket box that will allow them to function with your new stereo?
    3. Do you want XM, Sirius or HD radio? If so, aftermarket may be the right alternative for you to keep the dash clean looking.
    4. Do you need an iPod/MP3 jack?
    5. You WILL lose your factory sub!
    6. You WILL need to rewire your speakers as your factory speakers are routed through a JBL amp in the rear of the car that the new aftermarket unit cannot utilize!

I have been installing car stereo's for almost 25 years and have dealt with Crutchfield on a personal level many times. They are great to deal with but will cost more than others on the Internet.

It's all about what you want or need and how you answer the questions above may help you make the best desision.

I hope this helps :shades:
  • Thanks for the advice! I ended up going with the platinum package with the XM upgrade. I figure it's an easier path and it makes it easier to turn-in if I decide to do so since I did balloon financing. I like the stereo so far and I'm delighted to have the XM built-in. It's so much better than the Nexus radio I have in my other car with the crappier car kit antenna and integration through an FM signal.

The steering wheel controls were important. The stereo isn't all that convenient to reach where it's mounted, especially for my girlfriend.

I was interested in HD-Radio until I realized that a lot of radios were HD-ready but that it wasn't a standard feature like FM and AM.

I would like an AUX input but I've seen other posts that make me think that adding one wouldn't be too difficult.

~Mike
  • Oh, I forgot to mention that the 10-character display is annoying. It looks like there's a few more characters available to the right. I haven't seen what they are reserved for yet.
  • mstemmstem Posts: 113
    Jimbob76, you are correct about the 10-character display limit being annoying. I just came out of a Toyota Avalon that had a high-end audio system with factory XM and Nav system. The Nav screen had enough width to display 40 characters or more, but only displayed 10! And it didn't scroll either...

XM certainly has the capability to display more characters, so the car radio builders are at fault here. I also have XM on a Yamaha stereo receiver at home. It displays the full width of the artist and song title, you can make it scroll, you can freeze it, you can make it display the genre info like "Decades" or "Comedy" etc etc etc. That sort of proves to me that the XM signal carries all of the info; the vehicle mfrs. simply cheaped out and only default to the first ten characters. :cry:
  • jntjnt Posts: 316
    On the HD radio availability: big cities have quite a few stations that transmit HD programs for both AM and FM. It is just car makers who do not want to spend the money to make this option available. On XM or Serius radios, car makers actually got financial subsidy from these two companies to include the hardware similar to DirectTV.

jt
  • rgyiprgyip Posts: 43
    Has anyone with a 2006 Sonata tried to add the extra steering wheel radio controls (track +/-)that comes on the new Sonatas to their car? Can it be done? I am guessing it probably can but probably the radio/cd player would need to be replaced as well. I did a search on the web but found nothing. Does anyone know if this can be done?
  • delaluzdelaluz Posts: 48
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Posts: 420
    A guy with an 06 Azera changed out his control with an 07. Plug and play. 10 minute job. A few guys have ordered the part in the "hyundai-Forums" and are going to do an install and let us know. My feelings are it will be a plug and play as it was on the Azera. I almost ordered one but I thought I would wait for the other guys to try it. More info at 11:00.
  • pekelopdpekelopd Posts: 139
    Keep us informed!! Would be great if it was that simple!
    Check out this link. It was done by a gentleman in another forum. Gives detailed instruction and photos. This is how I think the change to the Sonata will be. I will keep you guys informed.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t15490-2007-steering-wheel-control-retrofit-for-20- 06.htm
    That's absolutely AWESOME!!! But the big questions are......
    1- That was an Azera....is just as simple in the Sonata???
    After reading further down the that forum, there's a link provided.... I think I might buy the Sonata NF version... (what does the NF stand for???)
    I ordered it, $43 shipped from Korea! Hopefully it works like a charm and as simple as plug and play, remove and replace! Will update when I get it.
    PLEASE keep us advised on this issue! I too am ready to make the jump; I really miss the ability to surf through radio stations and CD tracks from the steering-wheel. Especially with XM, where there are so many blooming stations... Mike
    For $43 shipped, I think it's a worth while gamble. I emailed the site and they're not sure if I'll also need the wiring harness which sells for $20 shipped. I replied and told them to just send me the remote for now and if it doesn't work, I'll order the wiring harness at a later time. They shipped the item already (Friday, Korea time: 13+ hours ahead of us). If it works, I'll be sure to post the results, if not hopefully the worse would be that I'm out $43 and no other damage done to steering wheel / airbag / radio head unit / warranty.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Doesn't the XM equipped model have controls for changing stations? Thought it did.
    Doesn't the XM equipped model have controls for changing stations? Thought it did. I wouldn't know!! I have a 2006 Sonata and NONE came with XM or radio controls on the steering wheel that allow you to change tracks/stations. The only controls that we have are: mode, vol up, vol down, and mute on the side. Since you're asking, I assume you have the additional 2 buttons for track/station up and down?? According to the picture I've seen at this website http://newtiburon.cafe24.com/m_mall_detail.php?ps_goid=214&ps_goid=214 , the track up and down is my vol up and down. and the little buttons on the side are replaced by one mute button on 2005 models. FYI, this US models.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    I was meaning to reply to post #44, which I inferred the poster said he had XM.

Sorry if there was any confusion.

My Sonata is an '05, so it doesn't have any radio controls on the steering wheel. My partner just got an '07 Sonata 3 weeks ago and some of the radio controls are on the side of the steering wheel facing the instrument panel.
    Sorry for the confusion. Here is my explanation: while I have an '07, it is an early build and did not come with the XM built-in. My son-in-law works for the radio head supplier (Visteon) and is helping to obtain a replacement head unit, which has the factory-installed XM option. THEN I am hoping to obtain the aftermarket steering wheel controls. Ironic that all this effort is needed but XM is important to me, having been a fan for several years. When I bought my Sonata in late December 2006 I didn't realize the XM models were so close to being available. I still like my car, will like it even better with XM and the new controls. I will keep folks posted on my progress. :)
    O! I C! My bad! Sorry.
    OK the verdict is in on the other forum. Here is a link to read the posts. Scroll down to read about the control installation and how it works. Pekelopd let me know how your works out.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t14984-st-40-steering-wheel-controls.htm
    Will do Craig, but from what I've read on the other forum, doesn't sound good. I'll know first had when the part comes, until then, keeping fingers crossed. Worse thing, be out $43, small gamble for the large convience!
    Pete,
    You know after I saw the Azera changeout I almost went ahead and bought one. I then thought I should wait and see what the others find out. They talked about the backlight being orange....that doesn't sound right. I should ask the Azera guy what color his backlight is. I don't doubt the guys in the other forum but I would think it should work. I eagerly await your test. Are you going to splice wires? Don't forget to disconnect your battery and be safe.

I would like to find someone with an 07 with the control and ask to take a look. Any takers out there? :P We'll be gentle.
    Hey Craig,

Yeah, I read that too about the "orange" lights and had me confused there. I'm not planning to splice anything unless I'm certain it works. What I'm planning on doing is "JUMP" it out (running jumpers from the harness to the button terminals) and testing to see if it works or not. If it does, I'll take it from there how to proceed, if not, I'll put everything back together like nothing has happened and shelf the new updated remote. Therefore, No alterations, no warranty violations.
    Pete,
    Have you been reading the other forum on the changeout? It sounds like the new control works with the 6 disc changer stereo not the single CD stereo. Unless you change out the cruise switch and the cables with the new stereo control. ??
    *sigh* looks like I'm out $43..... I got the single cd head unit (just read the latest posts from the hyundai forum) I'll just hold onto to this remote for a possible future mod. Until then, just keep my eyes open until I see an easy surefire way to mod it with the OEM remote. Still didn't receive the remote yet, but it's only been a week and I think I read it took 2 weeks to get here. O well :(
    That's why I waited. I am very disappointed. I really hoped it would work. This is the first car I've owned that I can change volume, mute and modes from the steering wheel so I am content to work with that.

I'm sure they will let you return it if you want to. Never hurts to ask. Thanks for stepping up and wanting to be the guinea pig.
    Not a big deal. $43 risk was worth it if it would have worked. Yes, this is also my first car with a remote stereo control, ABS, ESC, 6 airbags, trip computer, remote entry/alarm, alloy wheels... to sum it up, my first new car. I'm not going to bother to return it, after all it been half way around the world and I might be able to use in the future. I'll just shelf it for now.

Pete
    Pete,
    Go check out the other forum. Seems someone had made it work.
  • osaka75osaka75 Posts: 88
    Thank you for trying! I also have the single disc CD. Hopefully, after there are more of the XM models out there, we'll find someone on this board who can offer us the info we need to successfully upgrade.
    Hey Craig, I just finished reading that "other" forum. From what I gather, if you have an '06 Sonata with 6 disc changer, you can do the swap with the new remote with some splicing, or get the wire harness and an '07 cruise remote and no splicing. If you have an '07, it seems to be plug and play if you have the 6 disc changer already, and if you have the single cd/mp3, no one's sure. If you have an '06 with single cd/mp3, it seems like we're screwed. Anyhow, I just got my remote in the mail today. I'll take a look sometime this week when I get a chance. And unfortunately, I have an '06 with single cd/mp3. :P