Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top 10 Turnaround Tips for GM/Ford/Chrysler

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    bumpy get me a good pick of a Z-Up Mustang and post it. ;)

Rocky
  • bumpybumpy Posts: 4,435
    They're too big to post, so here's a link. Scroll down past the six billion Ebay ads. Those hatchback Mustangs do seem to attract more than their share of backyard tint jobs, but this is the first time I've seen altezzas on one.
  • kevins3kevins3 Posts: 10
    I have an idea: Make the interior big enough for tall people have leg and head room so they don't hit their head or feel like being in a sardine can!
  • kevins3kevins3 Posts: 10
    Have another idea! Have the govt declare cars over 10 years old as antiques and can't be driven only in parades then people would have to buy new cars! LOL :surprise:
  • ubbermotorubbermotor Posts: 307
    Don't laugh, things like that have been preposed in the past.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,178
    Wow! Make me a millionaire! Then I'd pick the following cars:

GM: Cadillac DTS Sport, Buick Lucerne CXS

Ford: Mustang GT, Lincoln Town Car

Chrysler: 300 SRT8, Dodge Ram pickup.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,766
    "DTS sport" just seems like an oxymoron LOL
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,009
    I don't think I could spend that much time in the waiting rooms of car dealerships' service departments. One or two maybe, but six cars from the Big Three is kinda asking for it, IMO.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Are you being a sarcastic ? Which is it ? The domestic reliability ? Or the service department's bad waiting area's ?

Rocky
    no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I was thinking of the Consumer Reports Best and Worst Cars list. Big Three all scored with some of their models on the worst list but of course so did some foreign makes. I would have said the same thing if certain foreign cars had been listed.

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    OK. If I had a million dollars and had to buy 6 cars, 2 from each of the Big 3, here's what I'd get:

GM: Saab 9-5 2.3T (with sport package) sedan, Saab 9-3 Aero sedan
    Ford: Ford Fusion SEL, Volvo XC90 2.5
    DCX: Chrysler Town & Country Signature Series, Dodge Caliber SXT
  • dabactdabact Posts: 1
    We all know now that Ford has a program for its future known as "the way forward plan". What surprises me is that a company with so much experience building cars can be so much out of tune as to what consumers really want. In my opinion Ford cars are too family oriented, too sedan-like, too ordinary. There's nothing appealing or trendy about them. In other words, why would someone pay the same amount for a Ford as a Toyota with much better resale value. And what gives a Toyota much better resale value? I don't agree with the "myth" that they last longer because if you look on the roads I see far more older Fords than I do Toyota's with comparable sales volumes. I've had a few Fords that came close to 200k miles so I disagree with the notion that japanese cars are more reliable.
    Another problem Ford had was it took them way too long to compete with japanese interior quality. Fords had too much cheap plastic for too long. The newer Fords finally have better interiors.
    Some other unappealing Ford traits of the past include: lack of manual transmissions in many models (they are more efficient all around and many people prefer them). Performance is another issue that I think continues today. Fords are not as quick and smooth as the competition. A Nissan Maxima is quicker and smoother than a Ford 500,,why? So is a Honda Accord, why?
    If I was Bill Ford I would have my designers build more appealing cars. I would start with a compact car (smaller and cheaper than the Focus)with only a few options to keep the price down. Make the interior look nice and give it a good warranty. I'd also make a more affordable SUV. I think there is a big market for low-cost dependable all-weather vehicles as most SUV's are built to be luxurious and are too expensive for most. Take the original Bronco early 70's model. Its a basic, dependable, good all-weather vehicle that doesn't cost a fortune because there are practically no options. Its versatile with the removable top or ragtop. It can carry 4 people or 2 with the backseat removed. And its good enough to suit the needs of most people.
    My point is Ford needs to start rebuilding its reputation and needs to start producing high volume sales vehicles to compete. Keep up the quality as in the Fusion and 500 but also offer cheaper no-frills vehicles that are dependable and affordable. And please do away with the excessive RECALLS!!
    See the GM-DC-BMW hybrid system will be a sales success. :D

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=109903

Rocky
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    How much Hybrid trashing was on these boards not even 1 year ago?

I thought we were supposed to be placing bets on Hydrogen fuel cell technology and Hybrid was a passing fad for ecoweenies?

OOPS...
    LOL....Well we might get em' both. Hydrogen is a funny topic because not even two years ago they were saying 2020-2030 would be the earliest we'd see them.

Rocky
    hydrogen is still an extremely dangerous fuel and nobody has (yet) figured out how to make it safe for the consumer.

Hybrids aren't dangerous at all unless you're driving behind one :P

Well wasn't ya'll the first to say Mazda and BMW were going to release there hydrogen cars in 2008 ? :surprise:

So they must of figured out a way to keep the dangerous level down. remember the blimp....Kaboom ! :D

Rocky
    nope, not me. I'd never say that. 2008 is WAYYYY too soon for hydrogen cars, unless you mean some kind of experimental prototype. I'd guess around 2015--2020 if everything goes right.

Hybrid tech is the transitional technology to something better, is my opinion.

Well Wdmunds had a article stating both Mazda and BMW were going to have a hydrogen car by 08' I believe. It was on here a few weeks ago. I thought it was for production. :surprise:

Maybe I'm wrong eh?

Well shifty it will be interesting to see if car manufactors can make hybrids inexpensive enough to justify the upgrade. At $5 or $6,000 dollars extra, one would have to drive alot to actually econimically save money, right ?

I think currently if one wants to get a economical car and wants a new one, buy a Toyota Carolla. They are inexpensive and pretty nice darn cars and they get in the 40's hwy. Better yet if one wants a great fuel efficient car with decent performance, one should buy a Acura TL w/ a manual. ;)

Rocky
    Hybrids really aren't about gas mileage, they are about superior emissions technology. I think this is something that the marketing people have not really done a good job with, in clarifying this point to the buying public. It's not that the Prius gets 10 mpg more than the GM product, but rather that it is so much cleaner burning on the road.

Agree, but when Gas is hovering around $3 bucks a gallon, MPG will be a major factor in the purchase decision if the added cost can be off-set with savings. ;)

Rocky
  • baggs32baggs32 Posts: 3,213
    It's not that the Prius gets 10 mpg more than the GM product, but rather that it is so much cleaner burning on the road.

The 4.0L V6 in the 2006 Explorer is cleaner than the Accord Hybrid. Do you think people would make the switch if that aired in a commercial?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,582
    not many people actually buy something just because of the emissions it puts out. especially not ones buying a gas hog like an Explorer.

I'll wiegh in with one solution. Make better products that people actually want to buy. There are many people IMO that really would be happy to buy a domestic, if they would only give the buyer a tp quality product. Not something that is attractive only because of the rebate

Chrysler and the 300c and the Mustang come to mind. Of course the FS pick ups continue to chug along.

I would say Chrysler is doing the best with product, assuming the Caliber sells well, and the upcoming Stratus is somewhat of a home run (although I confess I have read no details about it). At least they are pushing the envelope, and adding some style.

Ford is next best on product, although they forgot most of the style/pizzazz/new thinking. Hopefully the 3.5l V6 is worth the wait, and helps revitalize 500 sales, which I happen to think is a great car (or has potential to be).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

It's all about "feel good marketing" and Toyota is a lot more clever at it than the Big Three right now....

• 1-decide what each brand is about and stick to it for 15 year cycles. For the life of me, I can't remember what Buick, Pontiac, Chevy or Saturn represent in the market place. The Asian 3 have a two tier system. I would copy it. Meaning Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti split the $35k mark below and above. GM could make Saturn/Cadillac its two tier system. Chevy is unique in that it is able to cross the $35k line with the Corvette. Buick becomes Caddys little brother with cloth and nav as options only. Add two tone paint, chrome 'spear', pillow soft suspension and vague steering. Buick becomes the king of float and boats. Pontiac, and SS (super sport) for Chevy, turns to pure performance a'la AMG, SRT, and M. Saturn is the Zen brand. All soft surfaces, soft touch buttons and silent latches. Even 'slow-mo' hinges and lights that fade on or off (both interior and exterior).
    2-What to do with Saab, Hummer, GMC? Saab and turbo. Never sell a car without one, even in a crossover or SUV. Use aircraft terminology in place of automotive ones. Throw away the fake wood and use stainless steel or aluminum. Add gauages with information like yaw, pitch and roll, altimeter, air/fuel ration and or hp/torque. Add a real boost gauge. Call your service garage a hanger. Be the first to allow owners to download 'black box' info. Use military aircraft names for limited addition models, like the old Viggen. Hummer is perfect as a low volume brand. If it gets smaller, take over the Jeep Wranger spot in the market place. GMC should be the luxo brand to Chevy work trucks and SUVs.
    3-Advertising and marketing. Fade a GM badge, no sound ot music, before and after every commercial for every brand.
    4-Stop designing cars for age groups or gender and instead design with and emotion. Don't give a brand a platform if its not within that brands emotional context. Pontiac never gets a minivan, GMC are pure trucks, Saturn no sports cars.
    5-Bring back the strippers. Meaning, no option, low weight cars. Big engines. Something American in flavor. Give it to Chevy as an SS badge and Pontiac.
    6-Legacy costs. In print, advertising and pricing, separate the legacy cost. Give the 'true' cost of the vehicle, then state the American worker legacy fund. Let people see how the money is spent and who it is being used for.
    7-Small Block Chevy. Make it a proper name and badge. Use it to slap Hemi in the face.
    8-Turn GM into a 3 pronged machine: Chevy by itself; Saturn, Pontiac, Buick, GMC; and Cadillac, Hummer, Saab.
  • 9-Offer a idiotically long warranty that covers damn near everything (think: Hyundai but better...)
    10-Quality vs Perception. Although the quality (as measured by jd powers and other such lists) record the number of faults a car has, these measurments do not take into account the day to day perception of build quality one encounters each day. For example: a trunk latch may not be broken but if it has huge gaps or is off center, the owner will perceive bad quality yet have a car with no reportable defects. American quality has improved ten fold over the past 10-15 years but is not recognized due to its lack of attention in build quality. Spend a few dollars and double check for fit and finish and this will pay off.
    Hey Mr. Saab guy, I do hope the Viggen name returns. ;)

I believe Saab should be a AWD, All-Weather, Gadgetology, safety, Turbocharged performance icon, brand for GM. :shades: Think Volvo/Audi. ;)

Cadillac needs to be like BMW/Mercedes AMG

Buick needs to be a high powered cushy cruisers. Think Lexus. ;)

Saturn needs to be Toyota/Honda

Pontiac needs to be a high performance Acura/Infiniti

Chevrolet needs to compete with Ford and Chrysler and make inexpensive well made entry cars.

GMC needs to be just Trucks/SUV's

Hummer is good like it is.

Rocky
  • first, i agree w/ your list. But isn't it strange that most of the auto brands are emulating other auto brands?

Saab into Subaru (turbo-AWD)
    BMW into Caddy (odd exterior styling)
    Caddy into BMW (sweat spot of sportiness and luxury)
    Saturn into Hon/Toy (mainstream high quality cars)
    Hon/Toy into anyone else (more emotion like sportiness and design)
    Hummer into Jeep (taking over the old off road icon)

I could go on and on. Maybe automakers specialize in their own field but they need to keep customers who want soemthing else (think: Porshe and its SUV)

My thought: its a bad idea to tread into areas half hearted. Without total commitment (like Saab going fully AWD) it just looks like pandering to what is popular (like GMs multiple rebadge of all its SUVs, or VW building the Phaeton).

GM/Ford needs to go back to some American basics like HUGE affordable cars with soft rides. Buick and Mercury/Lincoln could dominate this market. Look at the 300c/Magnum/Charger. Its not just for old guys anymore.

ps: thnx for the thumb to the Viggen. Its really just an upscale Neon SRT4!
This discussion has been closed.