Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Highlander Transmission Problems

Comments

• wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    10 hours...?

Depending on the leak "rate" it might be a lot cheaper to just refill it once in awhile.
  • darneldarnel Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Bought my car brand spanking new it now has 64000 miles on it and I just found out it has a transmission seal leak. Repair cost estimate is $1300.00. Seems unreasonable to me this would happen with such few miles on it. Any others having this problem and could it be a faulty seal?
    Any success with Toyota repairing under warranty since it is just past the 60000 miles?
  • amym2amym2 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2005 Toyota Highlander awd v6, and am having problems. Went to start car, and battery seemed dead. Didn't respond to a jump, and had the battery replaced. I can now start the car and get it to move, but can't get the rpms to go over 2 (essentially, won't accelerate). The radio, windows, thermometer all work, but can't get the car to really "go."

Any thoughts?
  • skolbskolb Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 highlander limited (6 cyl) with the SAME problem at 69K miles. I have a call into toyota corporate customer service (1-800-331-4331) to get reimbursement on the repairs. They opened a ticket and are supposed to call me back today or tomorrow to tell me if they will pick up some of the cost. I agree, this is unacceptable! I bought Toyota (and paid a premium price) based on the quality but this is NOT the quality I intended to buy. I am beyond the warrantee so I'm not hopeful. I suggest at a minimum calling the customer service number and reporting it... the more they hear the more likely it will be to get some action... this must be a defect situation... very dissapointed!
  • Our 2002 has a draing plug, but we are considering a 2011 or 12.

Does the 2011 HL 6 cyl have a transmission dipstick and tranny drain plug? I was told that the 2011 camry 4 cy has no dipstick and the salesmen said there was no drain plug.

thanks, rr70
  • What was done to fix this? I have the same situation on our Highlander 2002 with the slow drip of transmission fluid. They want to do the expensive fix and I am wondering what you did.
  • I had mine fixed at Toyota. I went through all the corporate channels to see if they would pick up some of the cost, and they would not. I did shop the repair cost first at every Toyota dealer within a reasonable distance, and they do vary in cost and will negotiate a few hundred dollars. Went with a dealer that offered the best price and a free loaner SUV for the several days my Highlander was in the shop. The repair work is guaranteed for one year, so the problem could reoccur. The whole thing was disappointing and tarnished my loyalty to Toyota.
  • darneldarnel Posts: 2
    I was successful after calling Toyota Corporate office in Los Angeles, they agreed to pay for half the repair cost. I still feel they should of paid for all of it and after seeing post 276 this confirms it is a common problem, Toyota is aware of and has since addressed on later models. I am with you as far as loyalty to Toyota, I am now shopping for a new vehicle and it won't be a Toyota!
  • I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 2004 HIGHLANDER. FOUND OUT THE TRANSMISSION HOLDS FIVE QUARTS OF FLUID. ONE QUART IS LEAKED OUT VIA THE SEAL. STILL HAS FOUR QUARTS. DOES NOT HARM THE TRANSMISSION USING FOUR QUARTS. DEALER CHARGES WAY TOO MUCH FOR REMOVEING THE SEAL. NO HARM WILL COME TO YOUR TRANSMISSION RUNNING IT ON FOUR QUARTS. IF YOU ADD ANOTHER QUART, IT WILL LEAK OUT THE FIFTH QUART. YOU CAN KEEP ADDING QUARTS TO THE TRANS, NOT NECESSARY, BUT IT WILL SAVE THE OVER $2000.00. CHEERS
  • Very disappointed in my Toyota Highlander. My Toyota 2006 Highlander Transmission has totally crashed. The replacement cost is $5300. I bought it brand new and it only has 45K miles. I have kept up with all the maintenance (oil changes and 30K mile maintenance has been done). Any suggestions for me, when I call the Toyota complaint line?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Greetings, I thought I would let others know that my 2002 AWD with 171,000 miles had to have the transmission rebuilt. Total cost $2,800. with a one year warranty. The last day the trans would not shift into reverse. I had it towed to get it repaired. Looking back, there were signs of a problem. For example, When you coast, there was a flutter in the front of the car. I thought it was the engine. another thing was when I would accelerate, the car would heavy shift. I have changed the fluid regularly. Hope it helps.
  • rutrut Posts: 5
    Interesting. My 02 has 196000. Sometimes when I put mine in reverse it kinda skips like it isn't all the way gear. Other times it works fine. So I'm suspecting the solenoid isn't putting it all the way into gear but since it is inside the transmission I don't see a cheap way to repair it. Forward goes fine.

Hope it lasts.
  • wipptawippta Posts: 1
    My 2009 HL downshifts when I hit the gently hit the brakes to slow my descent from 65mph to 55 mph. The engine RPMs jump from 1500 to 2500 and the back end gets thrown out quite hard if this is done on a bend in the road. In wet conditions, this seems extremely dangerous. The transmission wont shift when coasting up to speed again and at 70 mph the engine is screaming. I have to hit the accelerator firmly before it will shift.
  • sevenseassevenseas Posts: 44
    edited June 2012
    Own a 2006 2wd v6 Highlander with 21,000 miles. Used 1-2 times a week to run errands for my aunt and uncle as well as 2 road trips a year. Have a Lexus as my main transportation.

Upon having intermediate service done the dealer advised the transmission seals were starting to leak. The powertrain warranty had expired. I was quoted $1275 to reseal the transmission. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around this failure with so few miles.

I contacted Toyota Customer Support and was advised there was no TSB for transmission seal leaking for 2wd models. The rep was able to track my records and made a comment that he saw I owned two Toyota vehicles (Highlander and Lexus IS300). I was instructed to give the rep 1 day to investigate this matter and see if the repair can be done at 50% off (I would need to pay the full cost of the repair then submit a reimbursement claim).

I hope Toyota addresses this matter in my favor.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    You should ask the dealer what are the repercussions for ignoring the "problem". Might mean spending $8 for a quart of ATF once a year.
    edited June 2012
    Toyota Customer Relations was able to get a reduced repair charge of $1275 to $1052 from the Toyota dealership to reseal the transmission for my 2006 2wd v6 Highlander.

I decided to get a second opinion at another Toyota Dealership to check the transmission seals. I was advised the transmission seals were not leaking but the transmission pan gasket was seeping and needed to be replaced with repairs costing $250.

It appears the initial dealership was quoting charges for unnecessary repairs.

I sent a letter to Toyota Customer Relations advising them that I saw the dealership as an extension of Toyota and that they have accomplished a great disservice to me as well as damaging the reputation of Toyota.
  • tdivertdiver Posts: 13
    Way to go sevenseas, good job. If only more people would stand up and not let the bad dealerships get away with things like that. I for one Thank You.
  • moonlight293moonlight293 ILPosts: 23
    Sevenseas, I hope you didn't specifically name the second dealership. The dealership worked for YOU but could face some kind of 'punishment' from Toyota corporate; and thereby reducing service with integrity in the future.
    edited June 2012
    I mentioned both dealerships in my letter to Toyota which included their paperwork quote for repair work. How else would I support my case that the initial dealership was damaging the reputation of Toyota as well as trying to take advantage of a customer.

I don't believe the second dealership that provided me an accurate description of the problem (the mechanic showed me the cracked gasket and seeping transmission fluid around the gasket seal) as well as providing the correct quote for repairs will be punished by Toyota.

I suspect Toyota is more interested in the dealerships meeting their sales quota then responding to my letter. In fact I would be very surprised if Toyota took this matter seriously.

But I learned a valuable lesson on trusting my instincts, saving money on a unnecessary repair job and identifying a dishonest dealership.