Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Lucerne Prices Paid and Buying Experience

2»

Comments

• rivieraranchrivieraranch Member Posts: 28
    Four months for an '08 or '09, not an '07. It's always a gimmick with GM, or GMAC.
  • carseeker9carseeker9 Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping to revive this board. I am looking at buying a car and have been considering the Buick Lucerne CXL. I put in an offer of $19,500 which the dealer did not accept. The dealer advertised the car for $19,500 but it was a gimmick that required a $2,000 lease incentive (I don't have a lease) and a $2,000 Q4 garage mate direct mail private letter offer (it is my understanding GM mailed 360,000 to 400,000 of these nationwide - which would only be available to less than 1% of the population). So I guess there real price would have been $23,500. Can anyone provide feedback on prices paid for 2008 leftovers?
    Blow them off and look around on the internet. That is what I did. I traveled a considerable distance to get what I wanted but it was worthwhile in the end.
  • carseeker9carseeker9 Member Posts: 2
    Riviera,

So you paid about $23,400 for the V-8 CXL (before using your points). I prefer the v-6 which should be a bit cheaper than the V-8....What do you think would be a good price on a 2008 CXL leftover?.....I was hoping 19,500 might do it?
    My car is a 2007 CXL V-8, purchased on 10/31/08; The sticker price was $32,500.00 and I paid $21,700.00 for the vehicle before adding tax, tag, title and before subtracting GM Card points. Clearly the dealer decided to take a bath on the unit. It had been in their inventory for 2 full years and was in the showroom for a long time. Moreover, the dealer was superb and their personnel were straight-up. They have been in business since the 1920's and it seems that they can weather this current storm. I certainly hope so.

I don't know how many 2008's remain unsold, I daresay plenty. You have to find a dealer that wants to make a deal. The dynamic might be different on a 2008 though. GM is rampnig down production so that might increase the demand for the 2008's.

I would not get the V-6 Lucerne. I drove several and they are not peppy. The engine noise is there, even in the 2009 rental car I drove that had the new 3.9 V-6 in it. It strains to get around. It is neither slow nor quick. The V-8 makes the car effortless, silken and powerful; it makes the Lucerne a whole different car.

I average 20 miles per gallon in combination city/highway driving. The Lacrosse with the 3.8 L V-6 I had for 2&1/2 years only gave 22-24 MPG on that same route. When you consider the difference in power and performance, it is worth giving up an average of 2 miles per gallon. I am driving the V-8 very carefully, though. lf you have a lead foot you will not get near the mileage I get. If you ever get in a jam, the horsepower and torque are there to get you through. No matter how you drive it, the exhaust note is wonderful. the 4 holes in the fender set you apart from all those other three holers.

Based upon my experience, I would recommend that you look for a 2007-2008 Lucerne CXL V-8 or CXS, try to negotiate 25-30% off of MSRP,
  • lane2lane2 Member Posts: 28
    My 2007 Lucerne CXL V8 listed for $37,235.00. We got it 11/09/08 for $27,497.13 before adding tax, title, etc. After taking $2,000.00 more off with GM card points, we might not have the best deal around, but saving about $12,000.00 off MSRP, we are not too unhappy. Ours was a new leftover.

We are averaging over 20 mpg with town and country miles and we we got a high of 26.9 mpg driving on interstate at 75 mph. If the V8 continues this way with 87 octane, don't know if 93 octane would do a whole lot better. Plenty of power and rides soft like the Roadmaster from the past. Would like to hear from those with the Lucerne V8 who have tried 93 octane to see if they are getting much better mpg. So far, we love ours.
  • SonofabuickSonofabuick Member Posts: 3
    My parents are buying a Lucerne and just found that when their card (GM Credit Card) was renewed, GM put a $1500 limit on each purchase. They have over 6000 points.
    Has anyone had similar experience? Has anyone taken GM to task on this. My parents will not be around long enough to use any of the balance form this purchase.

Does using their points limit them on overall deal they could get?
    What is best price anyone has gotten on CXL 2009?
  • bryangzbryangz Member Posts: 24
    Helped my mother, aged 84 look at new cars over the last few weeks.

Having family who fought the Japanese, foreign cars were out...

Ford had zero Taurus' on the lots. Fusions too small.

Lincoln wasn't dealing, at all.

Stopped at a Pointiac dealer. She loved the looks of the G8 V-6, but the rough ride turned her off.

Test drove two different loaded Impalas, but on both, the ride was jittery and the interior just seemed very cheap.

To be honest, I hadn't given Buick a thought, but the dealership was across the street from the Chevy dealer.

The Lucerne we drove instantly impressed. Tomb quiet. Smoothest ride I've ever experience.

And the dealer was dealing. $31,000 sticker on this CX, instantly offered it to us for $23,000.

Even though this isn't my car, I did the test driving and was impressed.

The Good:
    - The 3.9 was so quiet, smooth, and powerful, I assumed it was an OHC engine. 227 HP with the 3.8 heritage is good enough.
    - The car is just quiet. The quietest car I've ever driven.
    - Smooth ride. Once again, the Caddy underpinnings smooth out bumps that unsettle other cars.
    -Impressed with Onstar--especially the hands free phone and directions.
    -Nice stereo system
    -Big trunk, spacious cabin

The bad:
    -still a four speed tranny? A great transmission, but when everyone else has 6 speeds....
    -the dash is nice looking, but too much hard plastic. Even the Lacrosse had a padded dash.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I bought my wife a 2008 Lucerne last June. I really like the car a lot...my only complaint is that actually it's not very invilving to drive..It is a bit floaty...But on a nice day,with the windows open,it's such a serene,quiet car. The ride is very sort.
    I have over 11,000 miles on my car now and feel very familiar with it. As to the gas mileage, I have the Northstar V-8, a very smooth reliable engine. On the trip down from New Jersey to Florida it got 24-26 MPG. Now that I have it in routine service it gets approximately 18-22 MPG in combination driving, depending upon how much I am on the expressway. I use 93 octane because the manual recommends it. I believe that there is too much junk in the 87 octane and it will be bad for the engine in the long run. I do believe it gets better mileage with the 93 octane.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large newspaper reporter is looking to speak to consumers who went from owning a luxury car (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, etc.) to a premium non-luxury vehicle recently. If you purchased the vehicle using the Cash for Clunkers program, please let me know as well. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Wednesday, August 5.
  • 40yearfan40yearfan Member Posts: 102
    I couldn't find any like I wanted in my area (Phoenix, AZ.) and wanted to take advantage of the $5,000 rebate plus an additional $500 customer cash Buick sent me. I found a dealer with a sister operation in California who had one exactly like I wanted except for the color (CXL-5, no moon roof or navigation) and bought it yesterday. I am now waiting for it to be delivered from California. It's a dark gray with a titanium leather interior (I would have preferred the Diamond White with a tan interior).

Once I get the vehicle and have the opportunity to drive it, I will give a review.
    2015 Buick Encore Leather Edition
    2014 Buick Enclave Premium Edition
This discussion has been closed.