Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

I have a 2001 chevy silverado 1500 5.3l v8. I am wondering if it anyone has any information on what it takes to convert it from a automatic transmissio to a manual transmission. I love my truck but i dislike the fact that chevy wouldn't offer a manual as a option on this truck.

Comments

• vp46vp46 Posts: 6
    Let me know what you find out........the Aitmoatic Tranny in my truck blows Goats and with only 15k miles I prefer the reliability of a Manual anyway.
  • anyone with a 99-02 silverado{automatic}having tranny problems, it jerk's with changing gears, doesn't do it all the time just some time's, some time's you can cut the engine off and re-start and the problem goes away and sometime's not. who else is having this problem and how did you fix it?
    thanks for any help in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Sold it and bought a Nissan Titan.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to diagnose and evidently, these trucks are full of intermittent problems as identified in the Silverado/Sierra problems and solutions.....
  • smbobsmbob Posts: 2
    my 1998 gmc savanna van has a tranny quirk. when you accelerate from a stop you have to let up on the gas to shift from 1st to 2nd. it shifts fine after that until you slow down enough to drop back into first.have driven it many miles with this problem but it will still drive anywhere and back. any ideas? trans has 147,000 miles
  • it may be a sticky 1-2 shift valve. Try some trans valve fix from P.B Blaster. You may have to drive it for a while to clean up the valve body. I am a transmission rebuilder and have used it many times.
  • smbobsmbob Posts: 2
    hey thanks for the advice. i'll give it a shot and post the results :)
  • hdguy1hdguy1 Posts: 1
    hi, i have a '02 2500 with a 6ltr. with towing package. i just had the transmission flushed at 30k,my mech. told me that he didn't like the looks of the fluid, he said it looked like the transmission had been worked hard for some time. also the fluid was very dark. i also notice that the temp guage for the tranny always reads about 200degrees when i'm towing, is this normal? do i need to install a bigger cooling coil? any help would be great.
  • Hello,

Other than the obvious, what does the HOT TRANSMISSION error message mean from the D.I.C.?

Thanks.

Dave
  • I'm looking for a little info on my 4L80E trans that will not move when switched to reverse, there was a slight squealing noise when going from drive to reverse and then it stopped moving. All drive gears work fine, I read a page from alldata that it could be the sun gear coming out of the sun case. I would appreciate some kind of info.
  • jnealjneal Posts: 247
    I have to agree with your mechanic....trans fluid at 30K shouldn't be dark or burnt smelling unless it has been abused.

I would say that the towing temp would be in the correct range, depending on the weight you are towing and the type terrain.

Do you just tow intermittently or most of the time?

What weight are you towing and in what sort of terrain and open higway or in city traffic?

Just to be on the safe side I would go ahead and install a bigger after-market cooler.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    If you've overheated your fluid, you need to get that trans serviced as soon as possible. The fluid has probably been weakened to the point where continued use can lead to trans failure (been there, done that).

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• i am looking for a new truck and was going to go with late 90's to early 2000 model but have heard of transmission issues. is it one specific trans or chevy in general?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    is it one specific trans or chevy in general?
    Yep as in general motors
  • mfk8mfk8 Posts: 1
    1999 GMC SIERRA 1500

Problem: Truck is not shifting into reverse, and makes and winding noise in reverse. When driving, shifting from 1st to 2nd I have to let off the gas to make it shift. Other gears will shift on their own but with a slight delay. Thanks
  • lil_elil_e Posts: 6
    how hard would it be to put a B&M shifter kit in a 92 silverado
  • Hello,
    I have recently been noticing a possible problem with my 2003 Silverado (automatic transmission/4 wheel drive system) Z-71. The problem is kind of weird in that the transmission seems to be working harder then normal under normal operating conditions. The truck only has 40,000 miles on it and has really only been used on the highway. It almost seems that the truck isn't driving as smoothly as it once did. Almost as if the front end is ready to lock into 4 wheel drive when only 2 wheel drive is selected. I also had one instance where the transmission seemed to slip back into neutral. I even had a passenger ask if I was dragging something the other day. I have noticed some slight changes in the handling characteristics of this vehicle but nothing that I thought was serious. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Thanks for any assistence.
  • Hello,
    I have a 1996 Chevy Silverado pickup truck. It has a automatic overdrive transmission. I recently had the transmission filter replaced and put about 5 quarts of dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid in it. So I thought that it would shift right but I was wrong. It shifts into first at about 10 mph but when it goes to shift into second (which is suppose to shift at about 30 mph.) it doesn't shift i even had it up to 35-40 mph I would appreciate any advice that anyone can give to me.
  • Hello, I have a 1990 GMC 1 ton truck, 454 ex-cab 4x4. We recently had a new-rebuilt motor installed and has MAYBE 300 miles on it. It had a new clutch installed as well...
    Now when I shift into 2nd gear it makes a slipping-whining noise, I dont know if I have a clutch problem or a tranny problem. The truck is low geared, so I mostly start out in 2nd gear. I have not noticed any problem in any other gears.
    The second problem is that the fuel pump will not always shut off when the truck is shut off and runs the battery down if I dont dis-connect it each night. Any help would be appreciated, thanks R.R.