Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• b36b36 Posts: 15
    My 2006 gmc 1500 with 5.3 v8 4x4 and automatic trans gives a thump when shifting at low speed the shift is at around 15mph.when in traffic or driving in a development. It only happens when you creep up on the shift speed. If you can go a little faster it shifts through smoothly. the truck only has 10000 miles on it. i had a 2004 envoy wjith a 6 and never noticed this. Any advice thanks.
  • Truck accelerates fine in park. Will not accelerate in drive.
    5.7l
    4 wd
    Automatic
    Thanks
  • I just got the tranny rebuilt and the trans-go kit installed.Now when its cold it has really hard downshifts but when it warms up it shifts ok.any ideas from anyone???
  • I own a 2000 Silverado with 41,000 miles that appears to have the same problem as your truck. Mine has acted up about 6 times over the past 3 years. The problem usually goes away very quickly; however yesterday it lasted 10 miles until I got home - this morning truck shifted normally. Had truck in last year while still under warantee but dealer could not find the problem. I was wondering if you solved your problem, and if so, what did it turn out to be?
  • The shifting problem was electrical. The battery had a crack and dripped acid onto the wire harness and as the wire covering desolved and the bare wires crossed the transmission would kick out of gear. When the coating desolved completely and the wires crossed then the truck would not start and the dealer found the problem. New battery, fixed the wiring and all is well. Transmission shifts fine and it appears that the problem was electrical. Hope this helps.
  • Thank you - I was at dealers today and they found code P0785 in the computer. This code reflects a problem in the 3-2 shift solenoid circuit; most likely the 3-2 solenoid.
  • I have a 2007 GMC 1500 5.3. When I come to a fairly strong stop and let off the brake a bid, I get this jolt. In addition, If I come to a full stop and let off the brake to begin my roll, I get the same jolt. Several Times I thought some bumped into me from the rear. The first time I took it in to the dealer, they lubed the "slip joint"
    less than a 1,000 miles later it began happening again. Now they tell me its "normal"
  • just a repost,still looking for help,,,,,

My 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4 x 4 looses power when my transmission temp gets between 180-200 degrees. It only gets hot on the hot summer days or when I tow my boat. There is also an unusual noise(higher RPM?) in the transmission when I take off after sitting a controlled intersection. I get my vehicle serviced on a regular basis. I have yet to take it into a dealer..any ideas?
  • when towing my trailer and heading up a hill my truck lost power and I had to take the offramp and park it after a short rest it was okay for a few hundred more miles-two tranny shops have told me its not the tranny-two diagnose guys say its the tranny-when the gas is open up while going down the road the power does not go to the wheels-you can see the tach go up but the truck does not go accordingly-I don't want to replace a bunch of items and none of them be right-If I drive like a turtle its okay but I need to hook up the trailer and leave where I'm at with this problem solved-HELP
  • Hello all,

I have a 1995 Chevy K1500, and I think possibly the transmission is going. It drives fine until about 45-50 mph, and then it starts hesitating the more I press the accelerator -- it feels like the engine is cutting out, but the rpm or even the sound of the engine doesn't change.

I changed the transmission fluid and filter, added some non-slip additive, replaced the fuel filter, redid all the ignition wiring, replaced the rotor and coil + spark plugs, and replaced the oil in the differential, but with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated. :sick:
  • what i know about the gm transmissions..if the sun shield cracks or strips.there will be no .2 or 3 gear and no reverse..gm charges around 800 dollars,to take the trans appart and replace with up graded sun shield unit..12 months and labor waranty,nationwide..there was a guy,that was converting 1992 and up chevy caprices..im dc or maryland..i think the chevy impalas..1992 and up,had manual trans in some of them.its just hanging a clutch pedal.check out the impala clubs and forums.
  • I have a 97 gmc 1500 pickup and when the engine is cold it's fine but when the transmission warms up it shifts very hard from 1st to 2nd gear and also from 2nd to 3rd. I have changed the fluid and filter in the transmission to no avail. Also changed the sensor on the carb. to no avail. The engine light comes on and I replaced parts that it said to replace and the engine light is still on. I have gotten the engine light reset each time that I did something to the transmission and it'll stay clear for a while but later comes right back on. Appreciate any help!! :mad: :confuse: :confuse:
  • ok i have a 1999 chevy silverado 1500 5.3l v8 4x4 ex. cab, and iam having problems with the tranny and sometimes it works good but when it does it fell like it has a shift kit in it and then it quits working and you then you have to shift gears by had and then it fells like you do have first or drive, and also when it does it the truck has no power at all i mean it is very slow but when it works right it dont run bad at all, but i hope someone can help me out to find the problem out
  • I have a 2008 Chevy 1500 w/ the exact same problem. Less than 4K miles have not had it in to check problem. Should I be concerned?
  • Just took my 2008 Silverado to the dealer, was slow getting into gear when taking off, but when I would stop, about ten seconds later there would be a jolt, like someone bumped from behind. My son says he believes it was the transmission shifting down. Passing a car takes a couple of seconds for it to shift. Dealer gave me a printout for a PIP4112G hesitation on Acceleration and told me there was nothing wrong. There is something significant when that clunk in the rear end happens. There is also now a roaring noise when travelling down the highway. Chevrolet dealer thinks I am nuts.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I've had a service manager and even a service manager and a tech ride with me to help illustrate the issues I had with my truck. It's often frustrating to leave your truck there with a description of what's wrong only to pick up the truck and find on the invoice "could not duplicate problem".
  • After being stoppped at an intersection, the first time it happened I thought I had been rear-ended, the jolt was that severe. And then trying to take off, it feels like it kicks into neutral first. The service tech first said "all four-wheel drives do that in the rear end" You know what, mine isn't a four-wheel drive. It is a standard, two-wheel drive Silverado. Every time you put pressure on to accelerate it kicks into what feels like neutral. But it is that jolt in the rear end that concerns me. They just tell me that is the way it works. I don't get it, something isn't right, why won't anyone listen. Perhaps they know that this will keep working just until the warranty runs out, then it isn't their problem????
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    The clunk you are describing has been around since the 1999 redesign. It clunks on starting acceleration and on stopping caused by play in the slip yoke. It may also clunk upshifting from first to second. There are several service bulletins addressing this issue especially since it has been around for such a long time.

The normal answer that they usually give is that the drive train is new so you need to give it up to 10K miles to break in. If that were true GM wouldn't have come out with a special additive for the rear end.

Since no two dealerships are the same you might want to take your truck to another dealer or take the current service manager out on a test drive to verify that it actually does clunk. It would be hard to deny the clunk with him in the truck though I've seen them try.
  • my 2008 sierra did the same thing at 2000 miles. The dealer lubed the slip yoke and it fixed the problem but they are skeptical. They said that gm is working on the problem. Tell your dealer to look up PI & bulletin .....PIP 4020D.
    If they told you this was normal, the need to fire the mechanic because my dealer found it right off the get and knew how to fix it.

Good luck
  • My 2008 sierra does the same thing. Tell your dealer to look up bulletin PIP 4020D

The slip yoke needs to be lubed. It worked. My dealer said this a temporary fix but gm is working on a permenant fix. You would think that if gm would sell a truck for $32,000 it would work right. I should of bought a Toyota. Know wonder their stock is at $5.

good luck
  • nerdnerd Posts: 203
    I need to install an auxiliary transmission cooler on my 2007 Silverado with 4.8L engine and auto trans. I see that GM offers a cooler at a competitive price, but the dealer wants about $200 to install it. The photo indicates it comes with the supply and return lines that run all the way from the transmission. Is this GM cooler that hard to install? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
  • just bought a 05 silverado Z71 with about 71000 miles. i was wondering why/if its suppose to make a clunking noise when shifting in to 4lo? its my first truck.
  • Yes, that's normal when you are engaging low range. It's just the transfer case changing to the lower ratio gears needed for 4L.
  • It has 230000 miles on it. when i come to a stop the transmission down shifts into 1st really hard. other then that it shifts great. if there is anyone that can help me please tell me what this could be.
  • I have a 2000 silverado. I was driving it the other day, then a loud sound came from under the truck, now I can put the truck into any gear, but it will only move in reverse. I can put in into drive, 1st, 2nd and 3rd, nothing happens. When I put it into PARK, it acts normal, the truck will not roll. Any suggestions!?
  • Sorry to have to tell you, but I'm pretty sure you dropped (blew) your tranny. I had a truck years ago that did the same thing. Same problem, all I had was reverse, no forward gears. Park won't have anything to do with the gears. Just the parking paul dropping in to secure the vehicle. How many miles?
  • carfaxcarfax Posts: 43
    Since 1999 and good old G.M. hasn't fixed the problem and they want the tax payers to bail them out. I am so glad this has happen to the big so called 3 and hope it will change the automotive world for ever. Sorry for the ones who lose their jobs and I have family that will be part of it, but they agree also that it has to change with the unions and management. They have held the average person hostage for decades and didn't give a dam about it.