Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• dmbillsdmbills Posts: 1
    I've had two transmission problems with my 2005 Sierra in the last six months. In both cases, it wouldn't shift into third gear. GMC goodwilled the repairs despite the fact that the truck was beyond it's warranty. The first repair was goodwilled at 42K and the second at 54K.

That said, it's important to note that I'm a regular customer at the dealership. We have all of the maintenance for the truck and my wife's GTO done at the dealership—oil changes, new tires, unscheduled maintenance, everything. They made a point of mentioning that this was a factor in their decision to pay for the repair. They figure that it'll pay dividends when I purchase my next truck and, quite frankly, they're right. I'm fortunate to have a good dealer and I'll buy from them again.
  • park079park079 Posts: 2
    Transmission jumps out of all forward gears, have not tried reverse. If motor is turned off, truck will not start; there is no power to anything. Battery has a full charge. Truck will start with a booster but transmission continues to jump out of gear. Does this sound like a Throddle Positioning Sensor or something else? What about the motor not starting; is this related to the transmission problems?
  • a760chevya760chevy Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just purchased a non-operational 1994 Chevy Silverado with an automatic transmission. I purchased this vehicle to learn about automobiles and will be attending a Intro to Automotives course at a local community college in the fall. But anyway, when I put the truck into drive and hit 10 mph or more, I hear a rattle (sounds like a loose bolt in a pan, between the transmission and rear axle. As I slow down it quiets the problem. I'm thinking about taking it to the local AAMCO station for a transmission test. Does anyone have any other suggestions.
    Thx
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Interesting situation. You bought a 14 year old NON-OPERATIONAL truck to learn on. I'd suggest you ask the instructor his/her opinion. You could take it to AAMCO but I don't think you'll like the result of the test nor the free quote that comes with it.
  • Good day for all! My truck chevy silverado 2500 04 with duramax and allison transmission has shifting problems, when i driving at normal acccelleration the truck shifts fine but when i try to accellerate quickly it wont shift untill i back off the throttle! Before than check engine also lightning and when i try pull up from drive to neitral or parking at rear of the car i hearing "boom" and car shake.
    P.S. I changed fuel filter today but itt give no more.
  • imreadyimready Posts: 2
    Hello, thanks for reading this!
    I have a 1996 Z-71, I think the transmission is a L-60. My original just quit shifting from 2nd to 3rd, so I had it rebuilt. The rebuild lasted 15,000 miles, started doing the same thing again. I had a different rebuilt one installed, by a different man, and it did the same thing after maybe, 500 miles. Now I have had my original one rebuilt again, same guy that has installed the different rebuilt, and he is ready to install it tomorrow. August 17, 2008.
    Now my question!!!
    Is it possible that there is something in the electronics of the truck, that isn't actually in the transmission, that is causing it to stop shifting? OR is it definately, maybe some kind of controller that is in the transmission? And how can I find out? Or is it most likely that it is something to do with the rebuilder? I don't want this rebuild that is to be installed tomorrow, to do the same thing. I need to know if I need to be checking something besides just what is in the transmission. And, besides, I don't know how, and probably neither does that transmission man, how to check any of the electronic parts in the transmission, or in the truck itself.
    It's almost midnight, saturday, and Im beat. I hope this letter can be understood, and hope some kind person can give me some advice on this problem. I surely don't want this man to have to rebuild it a third time. Especially if it is something in the truck, and not some kind of controller on the transmission.
    Heck, I don't know. Please help!!!!
    'thanks a million!
    Billy
  • imreadyimready Posts: 2
    so what was the problem? mine has done the same thing, first at 290,000, then after a rebuld, it did it at 15000, then after a DIFFERENT transmission rebuilt, it did it at 500 miles. Now I'm having the original rebuilt, and re-installed. It probably will do it again. Is it something electronic?
    thanks
    billy
  • frock10frock10 Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Silverado and have had problems with the transmission since approx. 900 miles. It started with a grinding noise being made when shifting to 2-3 gears. The first repair made was replacing the 3-4th plates & piston, low roller clutch, reaction carrier, and internal gear. I started having problems again round 2300 miles. They then had to replace the housing, oil ring, valves, and gaskets to repair it. I was already upset because I wanted a new transmission the first time I had issues and the dealer said GM refused. Gotta love GM... Not... It was fine for a while and it started to have problems again but the dealer has said not to bring it back till it dies. I have close to 20,000 miles on it and it still is doing the same thing, goes into 3rd hard when shifting or slips into 3rd when shifting. It is frustrating and I am attempting to find someone to replace it regardless.

Has anyone else had any of these issues?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    You might want to try another dealer. You can also call GM direct on the customer service line provided in your owners manual. Most dealers will send out transmission work rather than work on it themselves due to the complexity of the job. Also GM will tend to follow what the dealer recommends so I wouldn't put all the blame on them. Your dealer had something to do if they did indeed deny replacing the trans.
  • frock10frock10 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice... I have always thought it wasn't right for the dealer to tell me to bring it back only when it dies... I have given copies of the repair sheets to a couple of other individuals and they are looking in the system to see what has been done and what else could be done to repair the problems. It still seems that a replacement transmission would be the best thing to have done and let GM look at the old one to verify what failures occurred and the reasons for them. I am hoping I will hear something soon....
  • b36b36 Posts: 15
    My 2006 gmc 1500 with 5.3 v8 4x4 and automatic trans gives a thump when shifting at low speed the shift is at around 15mph.when in traffic or driving in a development. It only happens when you creep up on the shift speed. If you can go a little faster it shifts through smoothly. the truck only has 10000 miles on it. i had a 2004 envoy wjith a 6 and never noticed this. Any advice thanks.
  • Truck accelerates fine in park. Will not accelerate in drive.
    5.7l
    4 wd
    Automatic
    Thanks
  • I just got the tranny rebuilt and the trans-go kit installed.Now when its cold it has really hard downshifts but when it warms up it shifts ok.any ideas from anyone???
  • I own a 2000 Silverado with 41,000 miles that appears to have the same problem as your truck. Mine has acted up about 6 times over the past 3 years. The problem usually goes away very quickly; however yesterday it lasted 10 miles until I got home - this morning truck shifted normally. Had truck in last year while still under warantee but dealer could not find the problem. I was wondering if you solved your problem, and if so, what did it turn out to be?
  • The shifting problem was electrical. The battery had a crack and dripped acid onto the wire harness and as the wire covering desolved and the bare wires crossed the transmission would kick out of gear. When the coating desolved completely and the wires crossed then the truck would not start and the dealer found the problem. New battery, fixed the wiring and all is well. Transmission shifts fine and it appears that the problem was electrical. Hope this helps.
  • Thank you - I was at dealers today and they found code P0785 in the computer. This code reflects a problem in the 3-2 shift solenoid circuit; most likely the 3-2 solenoid.
  • I have a 2007 GMC 1500 5.3. When I come to a fairly strong stop and let off the brake a bid, I get this jolt. In addition, If I come to a full stop and let off the brake to begin my roll, I get the same jolt. Several Times I thought some bumped into me from the rear. The first time I took it in to the dealer, they lubed the "slip joint"
    less than a 1,000 miles later it began happening again. Now they tell me its "normal"
  • just a repost,still looking for help,,,,,

My 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4 x 4 looses power when my transmission temp gets between 180-200 degrees. It only gets hot on the hot summer days or when I tow my boat. There is also an unusual noise(higher RPM?) in the transmission when I take off after sitting a controlled intersection. I get my vehicle serviced on a regular basis. I have yet to take it into a dealer..any ideas?
  • when towing my trailer and heading up a hill my truck lost power and I had to take the offramp and park it after a short rest it was okay for a few hundred more miles-two tranny shops have told me its not the tranny-two diagnose guys say its the tranny-when the gas is open up while going down the road the power does not go to the wheels-you can see the tach go up but the truck does not go accordingly-I don't want to replace a bunch of items and none of them be right-If I drive like a turtle its okay but I need to hook up the trailer and leave where I'm at with this problem solved-HELP