Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2008 Sierra 1500 that does the same thing. I can be sitting at a stop and all of a sudden it will clunk almost as though I've been slightly bumped from behind by another vehicle. Also has slight clunk on 2nd to 1st down-shift at 12 mph. I've had it to dealer 4 or 5 times. Changed out yoke, did nothing. At present time I'm battling GM at the national level and locally. I won't give up.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    At present time I'm battling GM at the national level and locally.

Battling to get it fixed or battling to get GM to buy it back?
  • pondrockerpondrocker Posts: 18
    i have noticed a few people mention the tranny clunk after stopping, mine doesn't clunk but it does seem to still be engaged when I try to stop,it is very hard to get it to stop easily, almost like having a very heavy trailer on the back. If i take my foot off the gas pedal, it will basically maintain that speed for at least 6-10 blocks, mainly between 45-55mph. I have never driven a vechile that doesnt slow down when your foot is off the gas? The tranny also hesitates for 2-4 seconds between the 2-3 shift point, almost slams your head into the steering wheel. I can feel vibrations through the floorboards & it seems to shutter in all the lower gears & the exhaust is extremely loud & odd sounding. On 4 occasions I have experienced a "surge", that is I released my foot from the gas pedal & the RPM's increased 500 & the engine sped up, lasts 3-5 seconds. Guys I have had this death trap into 3 dealerships, 1 of them 3 different times, the 3-4 clutch plates have been replaced, pcm upgrade, new PCM/computer installed, the pcm relearned many times, by the way this solves all the issues for about 500-800 miles & it morphs back into its old self. GM is of no help, 80 hours on the phone with them, now district rep in detroit is on the case, laughable. So please do not feel alone in your troubles, keep fighting, they want you to just go away that is their idea of customer service. If your new GM product works then I'ld knock on wood.Good luck
  • sonny24sonny24 Posts: 1
    Ihave a 06 Sierra with 34000 miles on it. Ive taken it to 2 different dealers for the clunk noise. The first told me it was backlash from the driveline.And that this was normal.The 2nd told me it was something about the 2nd to 3rd clutch, and that this was normal. So to make me happy the lubed the slip yolk and that lasted about a week and its back to doing it. Least to say Im takig it back again and now I have GM service rep from the factory involved. Also I had a black 05 and it never made this god awful noise.
  • txrednecktxredneck Posts: 8
    I HAVE A 89 CHEVY HALF TON PU, TRANSMISSION IS SLOW TO SHIFT, HAVE TO WIND UP THE RPMS, THEN IT SEEMS TO SHIFT FROM 1ST TO DRIVE SKIPPING SECOND. YOU NEVER FEEL IT SHIFT INTO OD AND DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD I CAN SHIFT BACK AND FORTH FROM D TO OD AND YOU CANT FEEL ANYTHING BUT IF I LET OF THE GAS AND SHIFT INTO D OUT OF OD YO CAN FEEL IT SHIFT DOWN. ALSO IF I SLOW DOWN TO MAKE A TURN IT WILL SHIFT BACK DOWN INTO 1ST OR 2ND, CANT TELL WHICH ONE FOR SURE. ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS?
  • mikesquidmikesquid Posts: 1
    I Have a 1993 Silverado, My transmission only leaks when I go over 55 mph for more than an hour or so. Im not sure if it is the seal or maybe the vent? If any one can help me I would appreciate it?
  • hoookuphoookup Posts: 1
    I started hearing a grinding noise from what sounded like the transmission. It would happen when at low speeds in 1st or 2nd gear. I would have to pull over, shift to neutral, and stop to get the noise to stop. It happened intermittently but started happening more and more. Assumed it was the trans, and had it replaced with a rebuilt. Two days later the sound returned, and getting progressively worse. the drive shaft looks like it's within limits, they looked at the rear differential and it looks fine.
    Any ideas?

thanks

2003 Chevrolet Silverado
    5.3L V8
    I WOULD GUESS THAT IT IS THE SEAL AND THAT IT STARTS TO LEAK WHEN IT GETS HOT. I HAD A CAR THAT DID THAT AT ONE TIME. ADDED SOME LEAK SEALER FOR TRANSMISSION AND IT QUIT. IT TOOK IT A COUPLE OF DAYS BUT HAS BEEN GOING NOW FOR SEVERAL MONTHS WITH NO PROBLEMS. I AM NO EXPERT BY ANY MEANS BUT THIS DOESN'T COST MUCH AND I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE WORTH A TRY.
    IT COULD BE A LOT OF THINGS BUT SINCE YOU REPLACE THE TRANNY AND IT DIDN'T HELP I WOULD LOOK AT U JOINTS, BEARINGS, OR MAYBE EVEN THE BRAKES. WOULD HAVE TO NARROW IT DOWN AS TO WHERE IT IS COMING FROM TO TELL ANYTHING MORE.
  • I have an 01....we bought it about 2 months ago and it has been in the shop for the last month, we can't figure out whats wrong with it. It has an allison tranny, computer was reading bad tranny codes so we had the tranny rebuilt, had GM re-flash the computer. It didnt work, It was putting itself in limp-mode. Going to about 40 mph then shifting into neutral. It's still doing it even after the tranny rebuild. EVERYTHING in that tranny is new. Have tried a lot of things, replaced switches, rebuilt torque converter, etc. nothing has worked...still is in fail safe limp mode. Any one know anything about this? maybe give me some suggestions on what to check around for?
  • bob261bob261 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevrolet ext cab 4x4, i have had the transmission rebuilt and now it will only go into 1st and reverse. The pump as been replaced and the valves all check. any ideas?
  • I bought a 04 Sierra with 110km on it from a dealer in Edmonton. It passed inspection and was delivered to me last night in calgary. Sometime today I was coming around a corner and I punched it a little bit, all of the sudden I heard a major CLUNK. Then it started reving like crazy. Now my truck won't move in D or 3rd, I had to limp home in 2nd gear.
    Super pissed because I now have to take it into the shop and I haven't even had it for 12hrs. Dealer was semi helpful in arranging a local mechanic, but I am worried it may happen again. And from all the posts in these forums my confidence if definitely hanging by a thread.
    Any thoughts as to why my truck moves like a castrated dog.....???
  • chuck1940chuck1940 Posts: 1
    My wife managed to turn our GMC Sierra 2001 automatic off and removed key when not in park gear. Now key will not turn, everything is locked up unable to get gearshift in park or to move shift in any way or to start vehicle.
  • I have a 2001 sierra bought it with 34,800 miles on it. Noticed a clunk every nopw and then. 35,200 on it the tranny went CLUNK and tranny was done......... no forward gears. $1800.00 + enjoy I did.
  • 94chevy94chevy Posts: 1
    I have a question about my trans, I have a 94 Chevy pick-up with 300,000+ miles on it (yes with the same trans and engine that has never been open) eitherway here is my problem. I have the 4L60E model trans and it is not licking the converter in in its over drive gear (yes it is full of fluid) It did this to me once before and I found that it was the brake light switch, yeah I know sounds wierd but it made since and it was the problem, now I have replaced it again and thats not it this time, I have traced all the wiring that I can find with no breaks or loose wires that i can find. these trans are pretty simple and short of pulling that trans out I am sctatching my head. its probably somthing simple that i am not thinking of. Any ideas?
  • jcc1958jcc1958 Posts: 6
    I bought a 1996 GMC Z71 automatic :lemon: ,the guy told me it had a rebuilt tranny and only had 5,000 miles on it.It did good on the way home but I didn't even make it home with it.First thing I noticed is I was going up a small hill and it started jerking some.I almost got it to my sons house but all gears went out of it so I put it in reverse and was backing up to get in his driveway and it stopped working.Well last nite I got in it and i drove it around the house a couple of times.I would have to put it in gear as soon as it started then after driving just a couple of feet it would stop again no gears and it would make this hissing noise sounds like an air hose to me.I cut the truck off and it would start again and go a ways then nothing again. :mad: Now I dont know for sure that it was rebuilt. I hate to have to buy one.Anyone else have this problem? I need Help Thanks in advance.
  • Sounds like it wasn't rebuild, OR it wasn't done right. something could be clogged or not hooked up all the way. Price a new one, but before buying one, price how much it would cost to have a shop tell you EXACTLY whats wrong, if it needs to be rebuilt/replaced then ask how much they would charge. Usually a little cheaper to have it rebuilt, but I wouldn't advise you to tell the shops you talk to that it has supposedly already been rebuilt. Most shops WON'T touch a tranny thats already been reuilt, they will say you need a whole new one. Good luck.
    thanks I guess the guy knew it was bad he didnt return my calls or emails.I wonder why at times it will go in gear and go about 10 feet or so then stop pulling at all when it does this is makes a hissing noise as i said then you can turn it off then start back up and put it in gear as soon as you do and it will go again for about 10 feet then when that noise starts making that noise it will stop again.I hope its not the tranny I sure would hate to spend that much on it to get it running.I didnt realize that chevy and gmc trans were so bad to go out.I did price a new one they said around 2,000.00 for the trans and labor.
    Thanks
  • Well it depends on the people who have owned the truck, pretty much with any vehicle, if you care for it, it will run well for a very long time. Routine maintenance, etc. We had the same problem, i actually posted about our truck on here too. Ours had an allison transmission in it, supposedly one of the toughest, if not THE toughest tranny there is, and it went out. Our truck is still not running because the guy we had rebuild it, didn't do it right and the gears are grinding putting metal through the valve body and into the fluid, clogging the valves. It currently is stuck in reverse mode and only has 3rd clutch and reverse clutch. I guess it just depends on the job, IF yours was rebuilt then the guy didn't do it right. It also could very well be an over-heating problem or an electrical problem. You can take it to a shop and most places will only charge an hours labor to see whats wrong with the truck. If it comes down to the tranny then you know. Better to be safe than put a ton more money into it and be sorry when you find out that wasn't the problem. Even if you have a buddy who has a scan tool that you can hook into it, If the truck has the ports for one, you can do it free that way, the computer will usually tell you if there are any electrical issues or for example and misfire, which would be a spark plug. vehicles that haven't been well cared for are a pain. Hope some of this helps! =)
    I started the truck today and it ran for about 10 minutes before it went out of gear and it made that hissing (air) noise when it did.Started it back up and it moved about 2 ft..you can tell when it's going to go out because of that hissing noise.
    an ideas?