Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• I have a 2002 Silverado that shifts hard 1st to 2nd, then stutters before it shifts into third. It is almost like it is in neutral for a second and the engine revs slightly before it goes into 3rd. Any suggestions?
  • The 2000 GMC Sierra 5.3L with 170k has done well, however, recently is experience indecisiveness when on a 60 mph hill. Truck should downshift from overdrive, but bangs into third and back up repeatedly unless I really hammer on the fuel. My solution has been manual shifting on all hills, which sucks. Anyone have an idea or course of action? The tranny works well other than this quirk.
  • I bought this truck about a month ago and want to figure out what they heck is going on before its out of warranty.

When I am stopped and turning right onto another road if my back right drive tire starts to slip, the truck starts to jerk violently. If I am pointing straight ahead and the same thing happens the truck doesn't jolt at all. I am new with the truck stuff so I don't know if this is normal or not. I was told it might be a locking rear differential kicking in?

Help me out!

2000 Sierra
    100K w/4wd
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Yep sounds like a locker to me.
  • dammit man that sounds bad. its not going to get better! send'er back.
  • Ditto,
    I have exactly the same issue. Truck shifts fine if you are heavy footed. If you drive normal seem to have problem with shift in 20 to 30 mph range. Been told truck is within specs. Bull. My opinion GM doesn't want to foot bill. Several notes on this issue. Just dealt with several levels at GM. Their answer take it to different dealer. Get different diagnosis. Bull. My answer is get our tax money back fom GM, let them go out of business and look at a different company who stands behind their products. They sure treated us differently when they collected the 35000 dollars for their piece of crap. Can you tell I am a little upset. I bought my truck new. It has never been neglected. Always did maintenance. Now I must live with this issue. My problem is much worse when towing. Wish I had the answer. I am going to continue to research issue.
  • I have a 2003 2500HD with the Allison Transmission.

While driving this morning, the truck seemed to stutter and wanted to stop running. The truck did continue to run, but the engine light immediately came on.

I used a Actron CP9135 diagnostic tool and received the following codes:

P0087 - Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low
    P0700 - Transmission Control System Failure

Does this diagnostic system work for the duramax?
  • Hello Shotty,
    Sounds like you and I may have the same type problem. My 2002 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton has 90K miles on it and has started having a problem just recently. It seems to be fluttering in and out of OD-Torque Converter when you first start uphill. If you push the pedal down a little and let it go into gear it does ok until it reaches a higher speed. Once your speed levels off the cycle starts all over again. Sometimes it will do a small clunk which it has never done before. I wonder if this model has some type of Overdrive Solenoid that has gone bad. If anyone can help we will appreciate it
    Thanks,
    zoomer953
  • Ref_2002GMC1500SierraPickup,

Recently my 2002 GMC automatic trans pickup started having some shifting issues on the top end from 4 th to overdrive. It feels like it is fluttering in and out of OD when it gets the slightest bit of uphill pressure. Maybe the torque converter is kicking in and out. Sometimes it actually makes a slight little clunk when it changes a little hard. I changed the trans oil and filter in but it actually made it worse which I understand can happen. Can anyone tell me if this thing has a Overdrive Solenoid or some type switch that may have gone bad? Don't need a big bill right now !!

Thanks,
    zoomer953
  • I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab that constantly is making a rattling noise at 35 - 50mph. It occurs when I step on the gas enough to engage the engine. It seems to be an issue with possibly the overdrive gear since if I drive with it in 3rd, it never happens. It acts like it wants to either downshift or stay in overdrive but can't make up its mind and that is when the rattling in the engine compartment takes place. It is annoying but more so concerning since the truck has 21K miles on it and it just doesn't make sense that it only happens from 35 to 50mph and at 1500 RPMs or less. Just don't know if there is something bigger here.

Been to the dealership twice, they have no told me to contact GM to see if they have any information on a possible fix or whether they have seen or heard anything like this. Truck runs the balls otherwise with the exception of 35 to 50.
  • I have a fleet with 4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines. never had that problem. I would have it serviced to see if a fluid change would help. good luck.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    What you are describing is nothing new and is due to the torque converter lock up at approximately 39 mph causing the engine to lug. It due to the large gap between 3rd and 4th gears and has been around since '99.
  • need to figure out a problem im having.. my trucks got a 350 and 4l60e and its 4x4 if im stopped a light or something and i stomp on it, it'll kinda stutter or will die i cant burn out or anything, if i just gradually push the gas its just fine. 1 person said this is my fuel pump but its not humming or whistling and if the trucks in p or n and i rev it up it doesnt stutter or anything, any ideas? fuel or trans? thanks
  • I recently replaced my trans filter and pan gasket and the truck was running perfectly prior but now will not go forward in drive. Reverse is perfect yet when put in drive you have to give it all kinds of gas and raise the rpms up high in order to move forward almost like its trying to drag a freight train. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • I recently purchased a 01 silverado with 60k on it (auto 4x4 4.8 v8). bought it from a guy who did some light vacation towing and commuted with it. went to get a 60k check and the mechanics told me you got a solid truck ( no problems, leaks, discoloration or nuthin). well i live in queens NY( no hills) so i decided to take it up state, shifted smoothly the whole way, BUT when you hit your first incline it slows down a bit and makes this squeeling, metal like bending noise, then you aplly some pressure to the pedal it goes good, then when you let off the pedal goes back to the noise, whats the problem? whats the cost$..thanks need all the help i can get
  • I recently bought a used Z71 Silverado with a 5.3l Vortec and 4 spd. auto transmission, Four wheel drive, extended cab, short box.

Today, the transmission started slipping. Feels like it moves into neutral and the engine revs increase. Fluid is on the full mark, has a nice red color and does not smell burnt.

Had a major snow storm this weekend, so I have been using 4x4 a lot, shifting from Auto, to 2H, to 4H.

Could the problem be in the transmission itself, or could it be the transfer case slipping into neutral?
  • Wilefox.

Have 05 silverado 5.3 liter.... got towed from whiting Iowa to freemont nebraska @ bout 2pm today... tranny kicking in and out. boosting rpms from 1800 to 2500 everyonce in awhile.. then was like it was stuck in 3rd gear or something. went to 3000 rpms for bout 2 miles... I slowed down. to 45 mph... then tranny hot errror popped up I pulled over called AAA had her towed. Power train warranty expires Dec 29th 2009. 5yr/500000... I have 46000 on her. I have read lots of probs... weird to see ours went out bout same time same day.
  • wilefox

update

called dealer this AM to tell them the truck is sitting outside. they notified me that they had 4 vehicles from last week with tranny probs and mine and a couple others came in over weekend.

Interesting .... i will keep u posted on what happens... let me know what you find too!