Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• Chuck1,

Congrats on being a satisfied owner. Throwing sales stats out just makes you look like a GM troll. Knock it off. There are known issues with these trucks, and like several others on here, we are not satisfied with GM's engineering, or their lack of response to the problem. I am just going out on a limb to guess you have not bought 7 new GMC trucks since 2004. I have. The 2004 Sierra 1500 I had was great, as was the 2005 Sierra Denali, and 2006 Sierra 2500 Duramax. The 2007 Yukon, which was the first year of throttle-by-wire, had a lot of throttle lag. The 2008 Sierra 2500 6.0 gasser that replaced it was horrible to the point where I got $3000 in buyback assistance towards my 2011 Sierra 2500 Duramax. The engine and trans on this truck were great, but the very well known issues with the emissions system on these trucks forced me to trade it in. I was going through regens every 200 miles. I downgraded to my current 2011 Sierra 1500, which I wish I never would have got. It has every bad characteristic of my 2007 and 2008 vehicles, and then some. Sooo.....what happened to driveability since 2006? The only things that changed were the additions of AFM and throttle by wire. GM needs to fix these, or this will be my last, and I will be *UGH* going back to Ford or another make.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    FYI throttle by wire was standard on the GMT 800 series truck.
  • Well Ceb that just sucks.. just sell the vehicle. Hell I see that with the idiots I work with on the Hyundai-mobiles. I'm not a fan of the product, but it is what is it. Wait till the owners on the 4-cyl models realize they're going to be out $500 for a timing belt at 60k miles (suggested replacement).

As for us GM owners, I've been in the after-market world for transmissions since 2006ish. I KNOW GM makes crappy transmissions. If I what I know now, to when I purchased my '02 in 10/02, I would straight up ordered a 5.3l LS with an 80e, but I didn't. The love affair that I have with GM is the ability to manipulate the long block for more power, and the 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 basically having interchangeable parts.

My point to the people who are posting to this forum, is to contact GM Customer service directly. And they can see that GM has replied to ...

again, to those that are having transmission issues, go to the "my GM" website, register your vehicle, and you'll get a reply. I did it when I had the knock sensor and transmission issues, and they did what they said they'd do.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    With the number of posts I have over the last several years on Edmunds, I guarantee you I am not a troll.
  • 2002 Silverado with 86,000 miles and the tranny goes out. My neighbors 2003 Silverado with 102,000 on it and the tranny goes out. Will tell everyone not to buy Chevy without doing there research.
  • Here's some more beauty to your dilemma Azmithe.
    A - nothing lasts forever, and
    B - Chevys / GMC are not that costly to repair. There are too many experienced techs out there that are capable of fixing/replacing a trans. You need to find a trans guy, I bet I can find one. I belong to a nation wide performance truck group.
    Your car is twelve years old....not that many miles for the year, you obviously do alot of city driving. HOW LONG SHOULD GM BE RESPONSIBLE in your mind?

All those short city hops with the tranny shifting up and down.

Same question for your friend's truck with 102K on it.
  • hello could you give me the spider specs please.I have the same problem with my truck and the tech said no specs and the clunk is driving me nuts thank you Bill
  • Thank you... I was thinking the same thing.
  • jbickhamjbickham Posts: 13
    edited December 2012
    I have a 2012 GMC sierra. When the transmission is cold and i accelerate at a descent rate, not hard but more than a slow takeoff, when shifting from 2nd to 3rd it takes a while to engage into 3rd and the motor revvs up. When the tranny is warm, it is fine. Is anyone else having this issue. I have just over 5000 miles on the truck. It does not have to be cold outside, just a cold tranny. I can make it do this every time. if i accelerate slowly, it shifts fine.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,163
    Congratulations on your new Silverado!

Hopefully other owners will chime in soon for you; if you decide to get this checked into at your dealership let us know as we're happy to work with you through that process.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I just dropped it off at my dealer. Hopefully they'll have an answer for me tomorrow.
  • jbickhamjbickham Posts: 13
    edited December 2012
    I did run across a Tech Service Bulletin on the web:

2012 Gmc Sierra Power Train Service Bulletin 347107

NHTSA: Action Number: 10045063 Service Bulletin Number: 347107
    Report Date:
    Jun 01, 2012Component:
    Power Train
    Summary: Gmc/chevrolet: some trucks, equipped with automatic transmission 4l60e, may experience slipping, missed or late shifts in 3rd and 4th gears due to possible 3-4 clutch distress. *pe

this describes my problem exactly...but unfortunately it doesn't say what is being done to fix it. Hopefully it won't require a new transmission.
    It sounds by the symptoms you are describing you have a 6 speed transmission and not the 4 speed. If you have the 5.3 motor then you do indeed have the six speed. The hesitation between 2 to 3 seems to be "common" among the model years that have he new six speed. The good news is it happens only when cold. In addition, it's a software issue and not a mechanical one. It doesn't seem to affect the longevity at this time.

I am an owner of a 2011 Silverado and am no way affiliated with GM.

Don't worry about it and enjoy your new truck!
  • Yes it is the 5.3 with 6 speed. It does it ONLY when cold. It performes flawlessly when at normal temp. I hope you are right. I wen t through transmission problems in 2003 with a brand new car we bought and don't want to go through that ever again. I was trying to choose between a Tundra and Sierra when i bought this...i dont want to regret going with the GMC...7k cheaper for the GMC, better warranty and who needs to tow a space shuttle anyways? thanks for the info!
  • Well, i just spoke with the service guy at the dealership. They finally got it to mess up. He said they have been on the phone with GM multiple times today and have no clue what caused it. He says it may be the selonoid or valve body but they arent sure, it hasn't created any trouble codes. They have compared data with other trucks and nothing seems out wack. He says there are no tech bulletins out about this issue. He referred to it as "flaring" and not slipping, more of an extended shift. So i guess now i just wait......just my luck
    They must be the only dealership that doesn't know what it is. Maybe they should look it up on the Internet. It's a software issue, it's been said elsewhere on the Internet that GM does indeed know that there is an issue.

Run far away and find a new dealer.
  • Well what they told me and the truth may be two different things.
  • hey jbickham, I have a 2012 silverado 5.3L 6 speed 4x4 Z71. my truck had the same issue. At 5k i finally had enough and took it in. Dealer rebuilt the transmission and said that 2-6 seloids were damage and the valve body was scored. Take it back and have them ispect the valve body and selonoids. After it was rebuilt i lost 3 gear towing my jet skies. I took it back and had the transmission replaced around 8k. They know the have a problem with these transmissions but wont do nothing about it unless you push the issue. Dont take these B.S answer and have them fix it. I ended up calling the chevy customers assistance to resolve the issue.
  • That is the exact truck i have. The truck is still at the dealership. Ive dealt with transmission issues in a new Mazda we bought in 2003 and learned that being nice gets you nowhere fast. We ended up having that vehicle replaced under the lemon law. Im more than ready to battle with these folks. I just really hate that this is going on with my truck. I absolutely love it. Thanks for the info.
  • Well, exact other than mine is a Sierra...but same thing. Did the transmission replacement fix your problem? And i'm curious to know if anything is different internally in the new vs the old transmission.
  • Lady3bglover, How do you register your vehicle online with GM?
  • after the transmission was replaced it has worked good. Its been about 5k since the replacement. My truck now has 12k on it and it has been working good since then. I will know for sure once the summer comes again because thats when i tow around my jet skies. the way i explained it to the tech was it felt like the clutch was staying engaged for about 3-5 sec longer than it should. Bad enough if i gave it gas i was reving the engine and not moving.
    jbickham,
    I am unsure if Lady3bglover is talking about this or not, but if you were to visit https://my.gmc.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1 you could set up an Owner Center account where you can keep track of service history, check into recall and warranty information, and so on.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sorry to hear that you're still working with your dealership on your truck, jbickham. If you wanted for us to check into this further with you and your dealer, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealer, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    There are many trucks with this issue. Please keep us posted. Some have had the solenoid replaced only to have the problem return since it's a TCM issue.
  • Soo....i swapped out the car they gave me for a loaner for a 2013 Sierra...si after work when the transmission was good and cool...i figured, why not? Lets see if i can make this one do the same thing. SUCCESS! I made it mess up exactly how my 2012 does. Maybe i should go on a test drive frenzy.
    Respectfully,
    It only goes to show your wasting your time. This issue while annoying, doesn't affect anything else, it seems at this point. Either keep the truck or see if you can get out of the deal and buy another brand.
  • I hear ya. But the transmission isnt functioning correctly. I am curious to know how the transmission will act if this slip occurs while pulling a heavy load or while off road in 4 low. I expect more out of a truck with a 42k sticker price. I agree it isnt hurting amything now. But i bought this as a 10+ year truck.
    I am currently towing a 5,000 pound - 28 foot travel on a coast to coast pleasure trip with my 2011-5.3 Crew Cab 6 speed. I can tell you that it does the same thing with this load behind it. It isn't really any more severe.