Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Transmission Problems

Comments

• Well, exact other than mine is a Sierra...but same thing. Did the transmission replacement fix your problem? And i'm curious to know if anything is different internally in the new vs the old transmission.
  • Lady3bglover, How do you register your vehicle online with GM?
  • after the transmission was replaced it has worked good. Its been about 5k since the replacement. My truck now has 12k on it and it has been working good since then. I will know for sure once the summer comes again because thats when i tow around my jet skies. the way i explained it to the tech was it felt like the clutch was staying engaged for about 3-5 sec longer than it should. Bad enough if i gave it gas i was reving the engine and not moving.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,057
    jbickham,
    I am unsure if Lady3bglover is talking about this or not, but if you were to visit https://my.gmc.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1 you could set up an Owner Center account where you can keep track of service history, check into recall and warranty information, and so on.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Sorry to hear that you're still working with your dealership on your truck, jbickham. If you wanted for us to check into this further with you and your dealer, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 of your VIN and mileage, the name of your dealer, and a brief summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    There are many trucks with this issue. Please keep us posted. Some have had the solenoid replaced only to have the problem return since it's a TCM issue.
  • Soo....i swapped out the car they gave me for a loaner for a 2013 Sierra...si after work when the transmission was good and cool...i figured, why not? Lets see if i can make this one do the same thing. SUCCESS! I made it mess up exactly how my 2012 does. Maybe i should go on a test drive frenzy.
    Respectfully,
    It only goes to show your wasting your time. This issue while annoying, doesn't affect anything else, it seems at this point. Either keep the truck or see if you can get out of the deal and buy another brand.
  • I hear ya. But the transmission isnt functioning correctly. I am curious to know how the transmission will act if this slip occurs while pulling a heavy load or while off road in 4 low. I expect more out of a truck with a 42k sticker price. I agree it isnt hurting amything now. But i bought this as a 10+ year truck.
    I am currently towing a 5,000 pound - 28 foot travel on a coast to coast pleasure trip with my 2011-5.3 Crew Cab 6 speed. I can tell you that it does the same thing with this load behind it. It isn't really any more severe.
  • How often does your truck do this? Mine only does it once when the tranny is cild and only if i am accelerating at a " oh crap i just pulled out in front of a semi" rate. And only when i leave work because i am leaving the parking lot and pulling out on a 65mph highway. Leaving from home through the neighborhood it does fine. And when i get to the main roads ranny is warm so it shifts fine.
  • Same as yours...only when cold or the first shift after sitting an hour or two but the power train is still warm.
  • I have had my 09 since new..ordered it in.
    I have had 2 others before with an Avalanche in between. Not too many problems.
    This is the worst I have ever seen.
    Along with the clunking cold engine, which they cannot seem to find is the problem. They have changed my bumpers 6 times because of rust, my head gasket, my deflector gasket, my pistons, fuel management module, my side mirror on the driver's side is no longer power (of course after the warranty was over). The truck was burning oil. The dealership near me has changed over 25 sets of pistons in 09 trucks this year alone.
    It is the 5.3 and talking to one gentleman I know...he says the 5.3 is a piece of crap now, and is instructing people to buy the 4.8.
    G.M. of Mexico, is not doing it for me anymore. I have purchased over 16 different G.M.s new, this was probably my last.
  • Ok, here's the latest. Just got off the phone with the dealership. Gm had them leaning towards some seals in the transmission that may have been not sealing correctly...?? they replaced those seals and it is still doing it. GM has created a case on this issue and actually had the dealership take 5 trucks off their lot and drive them to see what happens. 2 of the 5 did the same thing. Data was taken from all of those trucks and sent to GM so they could investigate further. The tech at my dealership is scratching his head and doesnt want to say if it's computer or if it's mechanical. GM is supposedly going to be further researching the problem, so they say... I asked the service manager if he thought it could be a computer problem and he said he isn't sure. I agree GM may know more about this problem then they are letting on, but hopefully now they are going to further investigate it. The dealership told me they would keep me updated about any responces they get from GM. So...i guess we both just have to live with it for now. I'll update if i hear anything else.
    Thanks....appreciate the update!
  • adeemadeem Posts: 7
    Hi Sarah,

Can customers from Saudi Arabia contact you regarding GMC Truck issues? If so, what is your contacts/email

Thanks
    Hello adeem,
    Have you already tried working with Customer Service in your region?
  • Here's a new problem I just experienced with my 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L 4wd truck: After backing up about 200 feet, I put the truck in drive, and nothing. No gear, no throttle, no nothing. The truck just sat there and idled. I tried shifting the truck to park, and still nothing. In park, I hit the gas pedal, and no change in RPM's. It's like the computers were locked up. Figuring it was a computer or software glitch, I shut the truck off and restarted it, and operation was restored to normal. Thanks GM for engineering such a POS!!!!
    bigman55434,

Hopefully this was a one-time thing and will not be returning. If it happens again, or if you decide to get it checked out with your dealership, please keep us updated as we're available to check into this further with you.

• adeemadeem Posts: 7
    Hi Sarah,
    I already contacted customer service in my region and explained the problem I am facing with my car's transmission and their usual answer is ' this is normal for 6-speed-transmission' or wait till GM tell us there is a problem and we will recall all vehicles having this problem.' I am neither willing to wait Indefinitely till warrenty expire nor risk my life driving the car with this problem.

I am totally unhappy with the way the transmission behaving/shifting at low speed. It clunk and slams like crazy. Driving the car becomes risky to me in crowed areas with heavy traffic. GM got to have the gutts to admit the problem and fix it.